• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Magic Underground

Detective Rascal

Magic is just Science unexplained
There's two worlds going on in this city, one of normal life with business men and young people trying to make a living, going to get coffee and paying their taxes and all that normal stuff.

And then there's the magic underground, a second side to the city. Where Powerful magical families rule the streets, where gangs of young witches and wizards and magicians hang out and terrorise people, where you can go place bets on flying rat fights, or go to the blackmagic market.

Sometimes, these worlds collide. If wars break out in the magical side, nature starts to break out into war too. Serious storms, cyclones, earthquakes, gloomy weather in general, all sorts of things happened.

But sometimes, the two worlds also seep into each, when regular humans start seeing magic being performed, when nightclubs never seen before appear in front of your eyes, when the barrister accidentally leaves an amulet in your coffee, you know something a little darker is going down in the magic world.

You've somehow come across it, the magical world, and now you have to save it.

This is going to be a bit of a free-roaming dice roleplay. Your character will be going about their day, but in some way they will see something magical, be brought into the magical side of the city, and find out about most of the things magical.

If they want/wish too, they can help prevent a natural disaster happening in the place they live by stopping whatever is happening on the magical side, which happens to be stopping a kind of turf war between two powerful mage families. (Just stating just in-case your not into turf wars)

And, it's expected that you play normal everyday people who go into the magic stuff, don't get your hopes up if you wanted to play a crazy witch or wizard. But, when you roll your stats, you may get a high magic score, so it's possible you'll be able to play as someone who can wield magic.

You can count me in on this ;D

Never done a dice roleplay before, but I'm sure it won't be too difficult to figure out~ (plus I love the concept of a magic underground~)

Sounds interesting... reminds me of the Dresden Files. Any particular system, or just something homebrewed?

@ Detechive Rascal: You might want to look int Unknown Armies... it's made for this sort of modern hidden magicks RP and it's a simple d% system.

@vinom I had a look, not exactly what I had in mind, but I might use the d100 for stats. I have different catergories and all that, but having a better range for scores might improve some characters or screw them over.

Thanks for the rec

Well, in UA, it's all about rolling under. There are four stats, Body, Speed, Mind, Soul with ratings with human average being ~45. All Skills fall under one of those Stats, and must be rate equal to or less than that Stat. Rolls can either be under that skill on a Major check, under the associated stat for a Significant check, and under the stat if you don't have the skill at 15 or more for a Minor check.

It's very good for making mages who can disappear from time for a few hours, but still fear shotguns.

@vinom Like I said, not exactly what I'm going for. I just made something simple so it's easier to implement, for myself in a forum rp.

And, not planning on having mages as a playable class aswell, more focused on normal people going through a real magical setting than a maic based character doing magical things

@PatchFace The Jester @The Math Wizard

It's like forum rping, only you sometimes throw dice instead of using your imagination to decide whether something happens or not, like a game, but not. It's a mix.

I'm coming at it from the other side; I've played dice-based systems pretty much exclusively the last several years. Basically, you can decide what you want to do, and then roll dice to find out if you succeed or fail.

Ah, see... I'm accustomed to playing D&D (as well as Pathfinder and a couple WoD games). I've just never played it on a forum before.

Keeping that in mind and what Rascal said, this should be fairly simple and brilliantly fun~

I posted the thread up here, but I'm waiting for a couple of tabs before I have everything read to go. If you want, you can get your character sheet up and just check out everything currently up.

I'll tag everyone in the occ when I have the tabs that I requested all done up.

Are you still looking for people to participate? I might be interested. Although am a forum roleplayer newbie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back