• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Maelstrom

He smiled in a cryptic fashion, face towards the scenery before him, "It's stereotypical beliefs like that that give me the upper-hand some of the times. Thank you for assuring me."

Before she could even so much as yelp or bark at him again, he turned back to her. "Wind, can you sense the presence of a physical being in, say, a ground thick with trees? Also, the talent for earth sounds utmost helpful. Will the lovely mage-in-training Emily, apprentice of Master Athos," he elaborately addressed her with exaggerated tone, "be able to raise a platform if, for example, one of us tumbled down a ground tunnel?"

She gave him a curious eye. "Oh really? In that case what can you do that does not involve cutting, slashing or stabbing." She asked in a direct tone and put her hands on her hips.

When she asked him if she could create a platform, she couldn't help but chuckle. "Hmf, of course I can. I am the best mage under five-hundred in the land. As for the air thing, I have that down pretty well. For example: there is a family of rabbits west, 10 metres." She confidentially said. Though it may be a family of deer. If she were to sell out her integrity, she would say she didn't exactly have that perfectly down. Even the platform thing was a little iffy, sometimes she made it to skinny, other times it didn't even rise high enough.

"Okay," he nodded, seemingly pleased. "Okay. Did your Master brief you about the case? I think we're dealing with a werewolf here. Or night hound."

With his spine pressed up to the back of his seat, he offered a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "Little Red Riding Hood wasn't actually about an adolescent girl, did you know that?"

Although Little Red and the Big Bad Wolf's tale was famous throughout the lands, there were very little people who knew the roots of the old incident. It had been told that Little Red was, in fact, a woman who freshly reached her maturity. Eager to explore forbidden pleasures, although the shame still applied, she met up with random men in the night for callous trysts. Eventually, a night hound had found its way to her through the scent of a female ready for breeding.

Naturally, she had tried to resist; angered, the creature tore flesh from her frail body and upon the first taste of human, it had never gone back to other menial prey. And that was the myth of night hounds' diet.
Jenryu looked at his partner expectantly; she was a great mage's apprentice, surely she'd read up and known about this obscure legend?

She was very aware on what she would be doing today, well only slightly. Athos stated it to her in a very brief way, like usual. He said there would be a monster they would have fight or something and then he collapsed into a deep sleep.

When he mentioned the story about Red riding hood Emily blankly stared at him. She had never really looked into the details of the story, or any story for that fact. She began stuttering, struggling to reply. "No... I don't waste my time with stories. The only text I need is the ones within the magic books I read. All I know is there is a wolf and red hooded female." She admitted reluctantly.

"Anyways you dodge my question you cur! What else can you do other than cut and stab!?" She demanded and looked a little angry.

With a seriousness that can drown a murloc, the male leaned in and brought his nose close to the side of her head. "I can cook."

"I hope you like hound meat," he leaned back with the smallest, but smuggest grin known to mankind as the carriage slowed to a halt following the sound of neighing from the horses. Their driver's voice was crisp and clear in the dead of this quiet area, "Sorry, Young Master and Miss! We can only go this far. Marie and Ruben don't seem to be at ease in 'em land."

Smoothing his purple pants, Jenryu hopped off the compartment and surveyed the area before offering a hand to Emily.

Emily nonchalantly stared at him. "That better be an analogy for something, or I'd be a little crept out as well as disappointed." She said and fixed her attention back outside the window, watching the thornish trees go by.

"I hope you like hound meat,"

"If you don't shut up, I'LL be the one cooking YOU." She countered.

When the horses came to a stop and the man told them they had to leave she let out a sigh. Just when she was beginning to enjoy carriage rides.

She got up and followed Jenyru out and when she came up to the front she looked to the driver. "I think you should be calling me Master and him Miss, thank you very much." She voiced and looked to the 'lovely' boy offering her a hand down. She gave him a smile and lifted her hands up as if she was stretching, but in reality she was quietly raising a small platform out from the ground behind him so that when he would turn around he would trip and fall.

"No thanks. Sweet offer though." She lied and jumped down next to him, trying to calm her anticipation.

Trip and fall he did when the bladesman took a micro step back. Although he was trained to have sharp ears, Jenryu was no match for such a small amount of earth raised - it was simply too little to be noticed.

He tumbled onto his back and dropped on his bottom, cringing at the sharp but momentary pain as he calibrated himself to the sudden position. Dust leapt up and danced in the air before settling again.

"Haa .." Exhaling, he took a pained look at the ground, "That smarts." It was humiliating for a boy his age to roll around on the floor, so he stood up and tried not to think too much on it - his pride was singed as it was.

The horseman who had witnessed it all chose not to speak up, and instead cleared his throat. Poor kid. Good luck surviving out here with the monster in the woods and the one next to you.

"Well, Young Master and Miss! I'll be gone now. The king suggested that you return with Miss Emily's teleportation talents! That's all now, bye-bye!" He tugged at the ropes, flicking a whip at Marie and Ruben before they let out a grunt, steered to the other side. The carriage and horses rumbled their way back, leaving the two apprentices in their wake.

"Come on now; Zenithum is right beyond Parse Woods," Jenryu gave the retreating vehicle one last gaze and started his way into the mysterious forest. "With any luck, we won't get lost into its heart and get eaten by the night hound."

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hey I thought swordsmen were supposed have nimble feet like a dancers? You are starting to seem useless." She stifled, it was cruel, but yet she was still very glad she committed to the act.

When the driver mentioned that she apparently had teleporation abilities, she turned around, only to find that the man had already left on his way and the two were practically stranded here now. "What do I look like? Like I have lived a thousand years!?" She shrieked, but by this time, the drive probably couldn't hear her cries.

"Great..."

She looked to Jenryu and nodded. She knew that for a fact that he was correct; she had read up on this forest and its demons inside. Things were definitely not going to be easy. But she was confident she could do it, just .. she didn't want to drag home a brown haired corpse.

"I have nothing to worry about. Magic is the bane to these creatures, long ranged and lethal. If something comes up, do your best not to be killed. I would not want to see Vaughn mourning over a clumsy oaf."

Emily gave off the impression that she knew what she was doing, so Jenryu chose not to correct her impudent addressing to his teacher.

"Let us hurry before sundown, then," he said instead.

Late Afternoon - Doug's Inn, Zenithum Town

"Doug, another round of beer!"

The bartender-plus-inn-owner-plus-chef clicked his tongue in distaste as he motioned for his daughter, a pubescent redhead in a thick braid, to fetch another few bottles of Heinekin. She flounced into the backroom.

"Ya' bunch of goofs ought to ease up on the alcohol a little. It ain't even sundown yet!"

His response was a dead eye as the table's "leader", a dark-haired man nearing his thirties, "What of it, you old geezer. The town used to have two entertainment: booze and women. Nowadays, most of the women are gone! Just let us."

"Or maybe Doug can lend us his Anne?" someone perked up before giggling in hiccups.

"I'll personally slaughter ya' bunch if you dare lay a hand on my daughter!"

Anne, unperturbed by the subject of their conversation, briskly walked over with two bottles of beer in each hand and placed them on the table. "Enjoy, boys."

They gave her a good-natured hoot as she returned to her father's side again.

"A-Anne .."

"Don't mind them, pa," she smiled and patted his arm. "They call for the booze, we get the money."

Her father grumbled and wiped at the whiskey glass with a cloth none-too-delicately. "When are they going to send us more help from the capital?"

"It can't be helped, pa," Anne sighed and felt a weight on her shoulders, although it wasn't the first time she had felt that way in months, "They did already send us help once."

"Yes, but the lady died trying to help us! They should have sent more help; wasted a good'un."

Whimsically his daughter tossed the shells of a cracked and used egg into the trash bin by the wall from behind the counter. Her father grimaced, "Don't do that, you coulda' left a mess."

"Sorry," she sheepishly smiled, "Anyway, pa, the lady did her best and we all know how strong she was. Maybe the higher ups thought she could handle it alone. We certainly thought she could."

Her father grunted and remained quiet.

Almost Evening - The Thinning Growth Between Parse Woods and Zenithum Town

"Well, we're here. The sun is about to set soon," Jenryu remarked and let out a sharp exhale, "Emily, do you have money on you?" 

Mineral_Town_(map).png

(Note: Just ignore "Your Farmland" - take it as a barren field.

Credits: Harvest Moon Mineral Town map.)

Emily sighed and complied by following Jenryu through the forest. She strolled confidently, knowing full well even the strongest monsters could not defeat her.

Almost Evening - The Thinning Growth Between Parse Woods and Zenithum Town

Once they arrived in town she observed what she could see. A boring old farm and what seemed to be a hot spring in the distance. From that she determined that they were in the south side of town, like she had predicted they would be.

"Emily, do you have money on you?"

The boys words caused her to sigh. That probably mean't he had not brought any money. "Do I have to do everything around here? Yes, I have indeed brought cash. I heard there was a libary here, I could not miss out on potential knowledge. Oh and a hotel of course." She answered and held out a pouch of gold coins out, so that he could see.

"Every gold coin I spend on you I expect returned in times two interest. Think carefully on what you purchase." She adamantly told him and awaited his response.

"Ah .." A sweatdrop glided down the side of Jenryu's face. Forget the fire element! She's a water-type - a loan shark!

"T-Then I'll accommodate to the cheapest rooms they have," he nodded sternly, "I promise not to exhaust your cash on hand." It made him wonder how mages and their apprentices can be rich; don't mana potions always cost more than health?

As the duo wended their way towards the town, a shadow on a tree hissed at them and slinked back into the depths of Parse Woods.

"I see a house up ahead!"

True enough, there was a modest - rustic, even - cottage with a trail of black smoke bellowing out from a protruding chimney.

Nearing, Jenryu could hear the sound of metal on metal. I think I have an idea what this is. He raised a fist and gave a series of knock on the thick wooden door.

The metallic sounds hadn't ceased, even when the bladesman gave a louder rap.

"Do you think we should enter?" He inquired Emily with an apprehensive frown.

"Good." She told him in a calmer manner and put away the pouch of gold.

As the two continued on their path she felt something go by. Something a little out of the ordinary, mysterious yet threatening at the same time. She felt a sensation run through her body and she grew cold. She wanted to say something put the feeling began to subside and its presence was no longer with them. It wasn't until Jenryu spoke would she regain full conciousness.

"I have eyes too you moron!" She scolded and looked up to see the house. It was not too bad, but it would probably be better to avoid such a waste of time.

She followed Jenryu, suspecting he too would ignore it. But of course, all expectations crushed.

She noticed Jenryu took quite a familiarity with the sound. All she could hear was metal hitting other metal, perhaps this was a blacksmith. Though it could just as easily be two people sword fighting or perhaps another form of art. "Knock yourself out. I obviously I have no where to be right now. Sleeping in a nice soft bed is ridiculous." She sarcastically remarked.

He gave her a dirty smile and leaned in just enough to feel their body heat mingle, "Of course it does. While you're off dreaming in a warm bed, a woman is out there somewhere dying in a warm oven, maybe. Assuming night hounds have evolved and developed cooking skills."

A hand on the door, he pushed it backwards; he felt the uncomfortable heat before he actually saw ruby coals in the fireplace on the left of the spacious room. He had guessed right; they did end up in a blacksmith's.

"New faces, eh? Can't say this old goon ain't surprised."

Jenryu peered behind the counter directly across the door and saw a short old man squinting at them. Despite the size, he had an intimidating aura around him; Jenryu chalked that up as a result of the old man's posture, arms behind him like a soldier. The bladesman instantly felt the need to be polite. "Uh, h-hello, sir. We're looking for a place to stay the night?"

"You certainly won't find that here!" The old man hooted like an owl, his eyebrows arched up, "This here is the Smith's! Gray!"

The clanking finally stopped. Jenryu saw a figure dressed in pale and dirtied jumpsuit wiping sweat off his forehead before he turned around, taking off his blue cap to fan himself, sweat and heat and frustration mashed into an embodiment.

"What."

"Don't be a rude chum and come greet our new tourists!"

Gray rolled his eyes behind his cap - Jenryu saw that they were greenish - and made dull stomps towards the bladesman and mage girl. Sticking out his calloused hand, he gave Jenryu a hard look. "Welcome to the boonies. Name's Gray."

Ah, no, his eyes are blue. "H-Hi .." Quite frankly, Jenryu wasn't quite sure what to think of this young man. He looked a little older than him .. Tentative but not wanting to appear prudent, he returned the gesture and shook the blacksmith's hand. "Jen-Jenryu. Bladesman from Eden City."

They let go before two seconds even passed.

"Howdy," Gray glanced at Emily and offered a half-smile, tipping his cap in a gentleman fashion, "We don't get a lot of pretty girls here anymore these days. Nice to meet you."

"Hmf. I can save more people when I am well rested and what is with you and death by cooking? You fucking creep!" She countered and backed up from him. Feeling a little awkward with him being that close to her. He obviously had no sense of personal space. "Just open the door!"

As she expected, when Jenyru opened the door it was a blacksmith's shop. She sighed, this would be absolutely no use to her in any way. She swore she would never touch a blade again.

While Jenyru and an older boy spoke to each other she took the opportunity to look around the shop. It was at least something to do. Looking at the swords made her shudder slightly. She remembered these shops, oh how she despised them. She went over to the wall and leaned against it waiting for her idiot partner to finished his conversation.

"Howdy,"

The boy said, looking to her. She paused a moment and his next words made her want to incinerate him. "Don't speak to me. I am only here because my idiot partner got curious. Just pretend I don't exist, like I do to you." She bluntly stated and darted her head the other way.

"Ooh hoo hoo!" The old man raised his bushy white brows and guffawed, his nostrils in plain sight to Jenryu. "You just told the boy off - what a sass!"

The smithsman didn't look as appreciative to Emily's spunk.

Tension thick in the air, Jenryu cleared his throat. "Does Zenithum not have a place to lodge at night?"

"Hrm? Oh, I already told you, sonny. You won't find that here!"

"Grow a brain, pops. They're asking for directions."

"Why didn't you say so, then?!" The old man shot a look of annoyance at the brunet, as if aggravated for not being asked a direct question.

Gray, on the other hand, looked like he had seen this scene too many a time. "They kinda' did?"

"When!"

"Just now?!" Their volumes equally increased like the climax of sword making.

Not wanting to get caught in a family bicker, Jenryu dragged his companion out with a hurried thanks.

"That wasn't very helpful," he clicked his tongue, eyes gleamed with tiredness. "The sun's almost completely down now." There was a path next to the smith's, and another path that led down to another house with what seemed like a small barn across it. It looked abandoned. The third path headed back to the large patch of empty field. "I'll .. let you pick where we're going next."

Emily silently mumbled to herself at the absolute ridiculousness of the situation. For one thing, ancient memories had returned, that she would prefer to get rid of. And secondly, another stupid male had tried to hit on her! How unorthodox! He probably doesn't even know who he is talking to!

"Pfft, pathetic. It seems all families know how to do is to yammer at eachother until one of their ear drums snap. I take my leave." She stated and walking outside the door of the shop, expecting, or atleast hoping that Jenryu would soon follow.

When he asked him where they should go next, she had to think a moment. The sun was going down soon, so they would have to make it somewhere quick. She looked down the path, noticing a barn, that looked rather lonely.

"Down there, approximately 132 metres down the pathway. That barn right there, that should be suffice. While not worthy of my head, it will be better then waiting outside to get eaten by monsters. If there are animals, perhaps we can try yet again to get directions. Just this time we'll ask to speak to one of them, prefferably a woman!" She rambled and began to make her way down the path.

He followed her and wondered about her decision. The barn looked a bit unpromising, but since he gave her the torch .. Well, even if it did darken out completely, he was (quite) confident with his trusty sword. A dignified bladesman, even at his level, should be able to distinguish the position of his foes within close range. Although .. if they attacked from afar ..

Jenryu was more concerned with how the mage girl beside him seemed all talk; if her bark was stronger than her bite, then they were halfway screwed.

His thoughts occupied him all the way until they reached the barn, where, as he feared (and half suspected), not a single lifeform was around and not one light inside was glowing. He wondered, then, if Emily would march into the house unabashed, and wondered again, if the owner was just temporarily away. If they were caught uninvited inside, what would happen? Will the other townfolks be alarmed? Will they be seen in a bad light (no pun intended)? Will they be forced out without having accomplished the mission?

Jenryu was, in all honest truth, rather the neurotic boy when big matters were concerned. He was also rather loose-lipped when it came to his worries.

"Emily," he croaked hoarsely, wincing at how sharp it cut through the silent air, "I think we should look for the inn first. Staying in the barn doesn't feel .. safe. Besides, that's trespassing."

"Trespassing, smesspassing. If there's animals in there, or some sign that it is owned, then we'll further our investigation in an inn. I'm just trying to be rational because it is turning dark. I'd rather not waste my skills on monsters we just as simply avoid by taking shelter." She replied. And continued towards the barn, not caring if Jenryu wanted to or not.

Truth is, she hadn't exactly gotten the accuracy part of her magic down yet, it had power, but she struggled to hit moving targets with most of her magic. It didn't help that is was dark as well, though she could fix that with a bit of fire, but that would risk lighting the entire village on fire. She was cruel, but not murderously or inhumanely cruel.

She eventually made it to the barn, it looked like an ordinary farm. She was hoping there would be hay or something that would somewhat simulate a soft feather filled pillow. However she began to think about the tresspassing, it certaintly wouldn't be good to onto this town's bad side. Afting thinking she turned her attention and looked to the house across it. "Hmm, lets go check the house first. Perhaps we can see if anyone is there. I would presume they either own the barn or know of its owners." She said and made her way to the house, rather abruptly.

Dark brows came to a close meet. He opened his mouth to protest, but decided that he ought to simply shut up after delegating leadership to the girl himself. His lips plunged sharply.

"It would help to elicit possible clues from the locals," he tried to coax himself into believing her idea was less than silly. They were still dangerously wide open to dangers in such an isolated part of the town .. but it was, indeed, better than bunking out under the nightsky.

They paced anxiously to the barn house and, being half a gentleman, he helped her do the dirty work of knocking. It was so quiet for such a long period that he was starting to believe that it was vacant. Until he heard a curse behind the thick door. With a muffled voice, Jenryu heard, "Who- .. who is it?"

He spared an awkward glance at Emily and, feeling uneasy, stretched out his free arm to separate her from the entrance and stepped between the way.

"We're travellers. Could you lend us a place to stay the night?"

"Travellers?" The voice sounded confused, as though the word was too foreign for .. him - yes, it was a man, Jenryu was sure of it.

"We've come under the instruction o-"

"Leave! Leave at once, you harbingers of bad fortune!" The bladesman didn't jump, but to say he wasn't startled by the reaction would be a lie.

In a hushed voice, he mumbled, "Emily. You're a woman - you're .. more eloquent when it comes to persuasion, surely?" He certainly hoped she wouldn't take it the wrong way and let loose a woman's fury now.

Emily couldn't believe what this man just said, to her! Oh she'd give him a piece of her mind, she'll use simple manipulation!

"That's sexist, but unfortunately true. This guy is going down!" She whispered back and focused her attention on this impudent shell of a man.

"Hey buster. Just who the hell do you think you're addressing? Do you even know who we are? Hell let me tell you. We're here to save your fucking ass from this big ass werewolf that will come to you house and rip you shred to shred. I don't think you even have the magic to stop it, so don't think you can just wander off with a pitch fork and do it yourself. We clear?" She shrieked back, pointing at the man to get the point across.

"Now how about that place to stay, your house looks nice, you can sleep in the barn and we'll make sure no harm comes to you." She then added.

"I know what I saw!" The voice was thick with indignant anger. "Even without my glasses on, I know it's no werewolf!"

It quieted down again, so Jenryu leaned his head close to the door, straining to hear for any thing else. He jerked backwards immediately. "He has a weapon in his hand. I can't tell what it is. But it's pretty heavy - and dragged on the floorboard while he's moving around."

"Leave! Or I'll - I'll use Claire's hoe on you!"

The bladesman had his hand on his katana warily and took a step away, back to standing next to his partner. Behind them, the sun was fully down, and night was creeping in like an uninvited guest. Jenryu made his leave.

Or so it seemed - with the ferocity of an alligator, he slammed a foot on the door and kicked it backwards before unsheathing his weapon, the blade ringing out as it slid along its metallic cover.

"What did you see, if not a hound?"

The proprietor had stumbled onto his back, hand gripping onto the holder of the hoe helplessly. His blue eyes, bespectacled, were wide and unsettled on the tip of the blade. The tension was enough to choke an elephant.

A sudden pungent, and familiar smell wafted at the duo. Jenryu looked down to see a dark puddle forming between .. the .. man's ..

(Let me know if I misinterpreted this.)

Emily's eyes widened at the site of the dark puddle forming beneath the man.

"What the...." She slowly stuttered and backed up so that she would be next to Jenryu. In response she ignited a flame in between the palm of her hands to see better in the night. By now the dark puddle was clearly a weird golden liquid.

"What the hell is that." She said backing up, thinking that she, herself and gone insane. Perhaps it was the cold air, or the feeling she had before. But something was not right with this man, or something in this house.

"Could it be pee, princess?" Jenryu finally cracked his façade of appease and let loose his sarcastic side. Any man who would .. lose control over his bladder at the sight of a blade in his face was clearly not competent enough to be a threat to him. Surmising that, Jenryu let out an angry sigh, legitimately pissed off (no pun intended).

He stabbed between the man's knees, floorboard giving a pathetic cry. "We're assigned here by His Majesty himself to exterminate the hound that has been kidnapping the town women here. We are not your enemy."

"You have a sword near my crotch," the redhead, blue-eyed proprietor mumbled.

The young bladesman cleared his throat, "You had a hoe ready."

"If I had trusted you as easily as the foolish townies, I'd be dead as well, like my wife! And my sister, and my mother." His voice raised with each word, alarming Jenryu. "That witch took them, I know she did! A witch, like you." It was clear who he was implying.

You're lucky I'm not the wand-waving magician here. I'd cast a spell to silence that mouth of yours.

"I know! You oaf! Ugh, how utterly uncalled for and unpleasant." She scoffed looking away from the sight.

This village looked like a bunch of morons. Every single one so far that they had meet had an unwanted quirk to them, were all villages like this? She was glad she came from the city, even though memories are not recalled to be that pleasant. At least it had interesting things though, like libraries.

"That witch took them, I know she did! A witch, like you."

The mans words hit her and she slowly raised her head, giving him the devilish eye one could ever witness. "You-fucking-cur! You're lucky that you are pathetic as a greedy noble or I'd incinerate everything you own." She shrieked, making her way infront of the man's face, making sure she would not step in any liquids.

"I'll have you know I am a Scholar, not a fucking Witch. There's a difference moron. One lives in dirty old swamps, studying potions and forbidden magic. And I, the scholar, live a much more refined and intellectual life. Studying practical magic for the righteousness of the world!" She screamed into his face and pushed her arms towards him, hoping he would slip in his urine and then she shut the door, breaking any ear drums that were not as stiff as hers.

In spite of the pity he felt surging for the verbally attacked man, having an angry Emily on his case, he did feel that the witch scholar's wrath was justified. Even so, creating a commotion was no solution.

"I can cook," Jenryu interrupted.

The redhead stared at him as if the statement hadn't dawned.

"A man who can cook must be a trustworthy fellow, as the famous saying goes." Truthfully, he was pulling a bull. But he had to try, "Surely you've heard of it?"

"O-Of course I have!"

Well he's surprisingly stupider than I thought. He evaluated that his Master has a rival in IQ after all.

"Then let us lodge here for a night in exchange for my culinary service! What do you have for dinner?"

"Eggs."

"And?"

"Eggs."

The brunette blinked his turquoise eyes with a terse smile. "I hope everyone likes om-eggs."

-

It turned out that om-eggs were boiled eggs wrapped in omelette.

The redhead had introduced himself as Rick, and that his sister, Popuri, was the first to be taken by the 'witch'. He seemed convinced that it was the lady who had come to help, and not any "monsters" that the townfolks spoke of. Jenryu wasn't sure if his testimony could be accounted, given the .. slight broken sanity of him.

He sometimes talked to chickens, for goodness sake.

They sat at the large, wooden table, across the open kitchen. Rick was now talking about about how Jenryu's cooking still doesn't beat "spa-boiled" ones Claire, his (late) wife, brought him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back