• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy +lumos; becoming the light+ (Closed)

Characters
Here
Weasley.

"Hey now, I'm the manliest man you'll ever meet." What'd she mean Jade didn't like men? Clearly she was his new best friend. He watched her with a playful smirk on her face as she took in his attire. Was she jealous? He'd have to get her a pair, they could go to breakfast and match. Only, the thought of him and Dru in matching clothing heated his face something fierce. He quickly pushed that out of his mind. "How'd she know I liked to be bit?" Gods dammit Hunter never had a filter. His eyes sparkled with mischief.

"Come now Dru, you should know by now nothing embarrasses me. I'll be sure not to distract you with how devilishly handsome I am in this getup." A smile lit up her face and it caused his chest to fucking ache, in the best way possible though. He never wanted to see her sad, the thought alone of her crying was enough to make him fucking rage. So he happily took her arm. "Alright alright, next time you're going to be wearing a matching pair. Mark my words."

====

First off, Hunter didn't see the problem in his pajamas. Normally he'd of changed out of them before being seen in public, however that required to go back and see Larkyn. Who wanted that? Second off, he was hot. He was pretty sure he caught Minerva looking at him for a couple seconds longer than she normally would. Maybe she was contemplating scolding him, but he was going with the theory she had the hots for him. Dru was lucky was to be seen with him-- he was lucky to be seen with her, but that was the obvious.

Thirdly, Larkyn was the biggest fucking piss baby he had ever met in his life. Seriously. Man UP and talk to your fiance, fix things. Hunter didn't want them to work out but he wanted Dru to have her friend. Larkyn was someone that Hunter could never be to her, he had been there for years as her best friend, her confidant. He could try all he wanted to be that for her now, but there would always be a void without Larkyn. It wasn't his place to say anything though, not when he was hopelessly in love with her.

So every day like clockwork he was at Dru's door with coffee in hand, a present for Jade the next. Hunter was a firm believer that every niffler needed a good hoard of shiny objects. The ball was tonight and he had desperately wanted to go with Dru, but that was a ridiculous notion. She'd never be seen in public with him, he'd ruin her reputation. The best person for her to atetned with was Larkyn and that was a kick to the gut.

"You ladies are wasting precious daylight. If we were hunting dragons we'd of been up four hours ago." Already heckling her with a smirk plastered on his face. That was his love language as he knocked on the door a few times. Coffee in hand, a sparkling sapphire in the other. Today he wore a pair of dark jeans, a bright red button down, his red hair already pushed back and out of his face. For once he was actually excited for a dance since he had every intention on stealing Dru away for at least one. Just one... he'd only need one dance to remember for a lifetime.

Druella “Dru” Malfoy

Dru was prepared to flat out die, it felt better than dealing with the day they were about to have. The Lady of Gaunt had been sending owls all week, about how excited she was to hear of all of her children’s presentations at the Yule Ball. This was an event for the students but would be attended by all the visiting staff, all the Hogwarts staff as well as some members of the Ministry who were involved with the tournament. Dru hadn’t considered that last part until she had received an owl from her mother that included her gown and a message that informed her that unfortunately her father could not attend due to other business… she hadn’t even considered the possibility. Her and Larkyn would have to put on one hell of a show, they hadn’t spoken in a week after their fight and now she needs to pretend to be the perfect icy couple as usual. Her, Loire, Larkyn and that idiot fiancé of Loires… there would be people there who would talk to their parents. Dru had already been worried about Draco and his big mouth but it wasn’t like he paid much attention to her anyways… “Dammit.” Dru hissed as she dropped the curler to the counter, looking at herself in the mirror with the last of her tears drying on her cheeks. There was a time that she loved these events, she got to be with her friends and out of the house. She loved the dresses, the dancing, the music. At some point though it had turned into a form of political warfare and she hated it, she hated that all these things she once loved had been turned into something performative. She wiped her face, placing some simple makeup for the day, she would actually get fully ready later but her hair had always been a project, it liked to remain stick straight and getting it to be even remotely fluffy was a day long process.

Behind her a voice sounded at the door like clockwork, it made her smile despite the crack in her chest extending yet again. Dru looked over to where Jade sat on the bed, playing with all the different jewelry that had been laid out. Usually the niffler would have stolen it and had Dru chasing her about for it, but it seemed Hunters gifts had placated the creature. Dru stood from her vanity and pit stopped at the bed to gently pick up a pair of tear drop diamond earrings. They were for Loire, sent from her mother along with another family heirloom for Dru to wear. Once it was in hand she moved to the door and opened it, taking the coffee in her free hand. “I have been up for four hours, being a woman with an invite to a ball is far more precarious than dragon chasing. I can tell you that for certain.” She took him in, eyes moving over his outfit and a grin spreading across her face, “No pajamas, are you already getting dressed up for the occasion Weasley?” On her wall the clock chimed and a bit of panic rose in her throat. Shit it was later in the morning than she had thought and she had what felt like a thousand things to do. “Can you do me like a short list of favors then can we please get some food before this hellish day?”

Dru needed to speak to Larkyn and didn’t wish for an audience, especially not Hunter. It would be too hard with his eyes on her. “These, need to go to Lorie. From her mom. And I need Loire to remember she’s supposed to meet with me and Minerva at three this afternoon to do the decor in the Great Hall. Oh! And…” Her voice trailed off as she turned to look at the fluffy creature rolling around in the jewels on her bed. “Pick a necklace for me? And get it away from your best friend there without much of a fight?”
Dru slid past him and glanced up to his face, pausing for a moment. In the life she wanted, she would be telling him the colors she would wear tonight so they could coordinate, getting breakfast together and after her tasks for the day Dru would be excited as she got ready. Even now she wondered how Hunter would look all dressed up, how he would look at her in her dress… would he think she looked nice? Or would all of the glitz and glamour make him look at her strangely. Hunter had liked her in her simple clothes, her hair down and makeup less… would he also like her in an evening gown? Ugh. She couldn’t think like this right now.

Dru moved down the hall, turning back to wave him inside her room with a grin. She was trying to hide her turmoil about entering Larkyns room. This talk was surely not going to be very pleasant. Once Hunter moved into her room to handle Jade, Dru finished the short walk to Larkyns room and paused outside the door for a moment. Then she knocked once and moved swiftly inside.

“Your mom has been ever persistent and as much as I don’t want us to rush a conversation, we have to attend to-“ Dru had rushed in and closed the door behind her, talking as she moved to the desk against the wall to set down her coffee before turning to look at him. No, not him. Them. Whatever piece of her heart that was left for Larkyn shattered, it wasn’t because he was in bed with another woman. It was because he was hiding from her, throwing away everything they had worked for without consulting her… all for what? It raised a million questions all at once, was this the first time between them? Was this the first time he cheated in general? Dru was aware that they weren’t physical often but- the sadness was soon swept away by a rage. One that made her face turn from soft and scared to her usual icy viper face. “You venomous bitch.” It wasn’t directed at Sapphira, it was at Larkyn. Dru looked him over where he sat in his bed, the two of them close and staying that way despite an audience. Her eyes flashed to the nightstand where her ring sat and she scoffed. “Really bold to sleep with another woman while your fiancés ring is literally in sight. When did you get so-“ Disgusting. It was the only way to explain how she felt looking at him now.

Dru couldn’t blame Larkyn for straying feelings, it would be hypocritical, considering how she felt for Hunter. However Dru had managed to have some self-control. The sake of them, their siblings and everything they had worked for. The woman pushed down the feelings, shaking them off and standing taller… she looked more like her mother than she ever had. “Family friends will be present and your mother has sent word that implies she will be asking about how well we presented ourselves at this event. Your sisters idiot fiancé was also mentioned so I assume he will be present with us. Whatever this is, will not be tolerated this evening. It stays within these four walls. I won’t have everything crashing down tonight, not at an event for the students. Not where Draco will be present. Not with prying eyes.”

“We can discuss everything else tomorrow but for today, please Larkyn. Find it in yourself to keep it in your pants.” Dru growled, her eyes flashing to Sapphira before continuing. “And you, I suggest therapy. Your preference for involved men is quite telling about the type of person you are.” With that she grabbed her coffee and quickly strolled from the room, slamming the door behind her. Dru made a quick walk to the couch in their living area and crashed to it as soon as she met it, her legs finally losing any sort of strength they may have had. She was shaking. Angry. Upset. Hurt. Every bit of confidence and composure she had back in that room was leeched from her within moments, leaving her a husk of a person sitting against the scratchy material of an uncomfortable couch.

How in the fuck was she going to get through today?

Delaney Wilson

Boyfriend had sounded so immature and silly, but she couldn’t help how giddy it made her feel. Sebastian was her boyfriend, she hadn’t been brave enough to ask for a distinction on the matter but Seb seemed to be all to excited to tell people that Delaney was his girlfriend. Any bit of doubt that she had about his feelings was a wash after that, she had still been a bit down on herself, about how different she looked from his typical fling but- Seb bragged to everyone. Their strange group of friends, if Delaney could call them that , Professor Moody… some students. Whoever would listen really. Delaney had rolled her eyes every time and called him a moron, though the blush on her cheeks told on her every time.

That morning Delaney had woken up at her usual time despite cancelled classes, the Yule Ball was in the middle of the usual holiday break. Most students of age had stayed at the school for the occasion, some left for a short break and returned. Neville was one such student who was old enough to attend and Delaney had promised to meet the young man this morning to show him how to style his hair for the ball later this evening. The boy even had a date! So Delaney was getting ready to head down to breakfast to find him. The real preparation would come later but for now Delaney dressed herself in a pair of grey slacks that were rolled at her ankles, a light blue and white sweater with snowflake design and a black belt. Her wild hair was in a long braid down her back and a pair of ratty converse graced her feet. Once she was dressed she moved to head out the door as a small thud sounded behind her. Delaney turned, assuming she would see Turtle jumping up onto the bed, instead a box with a large yellow ribbon appeared and made her eyebrow twitch upwards.

Maybe she should have been more wary of a magically appearing gift box but oh well. Delaney reached and opened the box, her mouth opening in a small gasp the moment she realized what was inside. It was the dress from the shop, complete with matching heels, shawl and jewelry. Instantly she knew what had happened, a small smile spreading across Delaneys thin lips. “Seb.” In he room she had a window full of different plants growing, mostly greenery and flowers, she moved and found a daisy that perfectly matched the pink of one of the embroidered flowers. She pulled out her wand to trim it and charm it not to wilt before plucking it from the pot and heading out into the hall.

“Seb.” Delaney knocked, her voice ringing out in a sing song voice. She needed to get down to the hall to meet Neville but she couldn’t not address the situation. “Wake up sleepy head, I have a date to get to and I can’t have my boyfriend making me late!”

Larkyn Gaunt

The fact of the matter was that Larkyn could likely use a long visit to St. Mungos, the psychiatric concerns of constantly splitting one’s soul in two had to be what was causing him all this distress. There were two very strong components of Larkyn that had remained at war in his head, no his body entirely. Rational thought told him that throwing away everything for a woman was insane, yet that same brain told him that the way his world worked wasn’t rational in and of itself! His heart told him to go for what he wanted but it also told him to protect his sister and friends. Larkyn was effectively split into two, however the only side getting any support was the one who yearned for Sapphira. Due to that his other half laid dormant within his own husk of a body.

Larkyn had spent his week avoiding everyone but her. He avoided his best friend, rage flaring in his chest every time he saw or felt the sore jaw he had. He avoided his twin, the idea of what she hid from him making him feel a shame he couldn’t quite grasp. He avoided Dru, the woman who just months ago was his platonic other half, the person who he expected to always defend him to others then scold him behind closed doors. All these people who were once a unit, a force to be reckoned with in their world, suddenly they were all on a team against him. It made him question who’s fault that was…

“I know.” Larkyn spoke softly, matching her tone but much quieter as he leaned into the touch of her hand through his hair. His own hands held her, softly running his thumbs over her exposed skin. It had been a long week of thinking, of anger. But the fact of it was that Larkyn was done, if they all really saw him the way they said then why would he even bother anymore. Let him lose his job, it would kill him but he would figure out another way to financially support himself. Let Loire marry that bastard, if she didn’t want to fight for herself and wanted to hide her feelings from him for so long, why should he keep fighting? Dru… Dru was a different story. Her malice came from the same place his did; feeling betrayed. She may have been spending too much time with Hunter but- it was clear she was still fighting. But it didn’t matter, he was done. There was no fight left in him for that matter any longer.

Larkyn smiled up at Sapphira as her forehead pressed to his, it was weak but it was warm. His hands moved to cup her face as her lips pressed to his. When they broke the kiss they stayed close, Larkyn watching her intently as she spoke. “I know, I need to get us all together and talk calmly. Without punches.” He smirked a little at that part. “I still don’t fully know how to go forward, what path to take. I want to take the one with the least destruction but I also can’t hold this all anymore, I can’t- I don’t want that life.”

A knock came to his door but no words, Larkyn stiffened and completely froze as his door opened and shut. Dru came in, clearly not looking at him at first and allowing time for Larkyn to drop his hands and move a few inches from Sapphira but not enough time to try and hide what this was. She was in his bed, in his clothes, Larkyn was shirtless and both still had sleep laying heavily over their features. There was no denying it and Larkyn saw that instantly in Drus face.

Larkyn never wanted to hurt her, he never wanted to hurt any of them. But hurt people hurt people right? And he was hurting. She slung an insult at him and for once Larkyn just took it, how could he lash back when he was in the situation he was in. He watched as Drus ice filled gaze flicked to the ring and then back to him and Sapphira. “Hey stop, come at me all you want but don’t do that.” His voice wasn’t as strong as he wished it would be but he wouldn’t just let her speak to Sapphira the way she was. Then her demeanor changed completely and Larkyn saw it, the switch from Dru to Druella Malfoy, from a person to that mask of hers. A mask that they all had their own version of, at least all of them in their situation. Larkyn thought of his own inner turmoil for a moment and recognized that Dru was going through the same, however hers had been swirling for a while, she had learned how to use it as a weapon.

“Fine.” Larkyn said it quickly, swallowing the bile in his throat. As much as he didn’t want to put on this performance anymore, she had a point. It didn’t need to crash right now, putting on a show tonight may just preserve a few of those at risk things for a little while until they can all discuss it. “I won’t stay the entire evening, I will fulfill my duty as an auror until I’m relieved of that duty and then I’ll leave. We can use the excuse of a patrol or something. Then the act only needs to last that long.”

“Dru!” Larkyn barked and moved to sit between her and Sapphira, blocking her line of sight. He didn’t understand what her last comment was about, it seemed like Dru knew about Sapphira and her past with the married man but there was no way… so what in the hell was that? As Dru moved to the door, Larkyn finally couldn’t hold back his biting tongue. “But know that with all your demands, I expect the same of you. No one would ever believe seeing you spend an evening with a Weasley at a ball.”

The door shut and Larkyn sat for a moment in stunned silence. Eventually he turned back to Sapphira and reached to gently stroke his fingers along her cheek, watching her eyes with concern flooding his own. “Are you okay?”

Cyrus

Cyrus couldn’t believe how bad things had gotten, he hadn’t believed that he didn’t see how awful Larkyn was doing. The guilt was eating him alive but he couldn’t focus on himself, he couldn’t let this fight consume him no matter how much it wanted to. Cyrus had been sent here for a reason so his focus had to remain on Harry and the tournament, though in his free time he spent it with Loire and brainstorming all sorts of different plans to get her free from her engagement.

“Morning.” Cyrus yawn, and set up on his bed. He looked over her with a raised brow, “Bad morning? You look like you’ve had a rough day already. Beautiful but a rough day.” He chuckled and gave her a sleepy smile from where he leaned against his headboard. He had nothing to do today and it seemed like every time he left these four walls shit went nuts so when he could take the time to hide he would. “Not too early, actually I’d say it took too long. I can get moving now.”

Loire sprawled out on the bed and Cyrus rested his hand against her back, strumming his fingers along her spine slowly. “Seriously, if you don’t want to put on the whole show I’m sure we can come
Up with a reason for you to leave? I mean I could always get the twins to pull something. I heard from some of the students that those idiots have made a candy that makes you sick on purpose. Slip one into his food and that brute would eat it no questions asked.”

Loire went on some more about the ball and Cyrus just hummed as he listened. “Yeah I heard it was quite the story, both of those boys asked out a few different girls and got shot down. Ron even asked Fleur.” He snickered at the rumors he had heard before turning his attention back to Loire. “I’m going to spend my night fighting the urge to run off with you, maybe I can join a club with the Jealous Yearning Club.” It was a shitty nickname that Cyrus had adopted to using to refer to the Hunter, Sapphira situation. Well, one he used behind closed doors and only with Loire. If he didn’t try and bring some comedy to the situation, it would break him.

Mindlessly Cyrus moved his free hand to the bruise on his face and grimaced. “You know they’ll expect you and Larkyn to at least interact this evening, it’ll look strange if the three-four of you aren’t together.”

Sapphira

It ached her heart to have seen the internal struggle Larkyn was going through. He had been so angry, reasonably so, at everyone. Why couldn't they trust or confide in him like Sapphira had so quickly learned to do? She'd never know. "No punching is probably the best strategy." A small giggle passed her lips as a relaxed smile took hold of her lips. "Don't hold it in anymore, I think that's what's been hurting all of you. Honesty is the best start." Seeing him finally be honest about not wanting that life anymore, it made her heart soar. She only wanted the best for him. For all of them.

The small bit of confidence that Sapph had been building, finding solace and comfort in whatever relationship had been forming between her and Larkyn, was effectively crushed in a matter of seconds. While she was frozen in shock it didn’t go unnoticed how he moved away from her. That was blow number one as she remembered her ex leaving the room anytime he got a call. Blow number two, the way Dru looked at her. This year she wanted to become friends with her so badly, Loire as well. They all came from different worlds but, she thought the women were brave, powerful. Tears stung in her eyes as the realization settled over her that now she’d never be more than the whore her betrothed cheated with. So much for turning a new leaf when she came here.

The final blow was Dru’s parting statement. Sapphs stomach twisted, her whole complexion ghostly pale. All she could do was stare at the door with tears flooding her bright eyes. “I-I should go,” the comforting feel of Larkyns thumbs on her cheeks made the tears stream down her face. This was a mistake. Coming back here, getting this close to Larkyn; all of it. How many lives had she just ruined? And if Dru knew about Seb it’d only be a matter of time before she told Delaney. She’d lose her, too.

Sapphira pulled from his touch as she rose from the bed, her eyes darting to her scattered clothes. She couldn’t look at him, she didn’t know if she could ever meet his gaze again with confidence. Dumbledore had to let her leave, she’d ask him tomorrow. It’d be for the best, right? Cedric would do fine without her, she’d miss him and his family but they had the post. Delaney too, they could write. Larkyn knew nothing of where she lived, hell she didn’t even know if he cared. That… was a bit harsh. The way they opened up with one another, looked at each other, there was no faking that. But... Hunter was a pure blood and he referred to him as a mutt, what would he call her if he ever got mad at her?

She was just a pretty distraction; that’s all she ever was to men. He’d never go looking for her, he’d never seek her out. The thought kept tears rolling down her pretty face as she got dressed faster than she had ever done in her whole life. This secret of theirs stayed between these four walls, so she would just never come back into this room. "Make up with Dru. Be honest with her, your sister, Cyrus. Get your family back." Sapphira couldn't even look at him as she practically ran out of the room, leaving nothing but the smell of coconut and a few tears on the floor. Past Delaney, out of the mentor wing, out of the building all together.

She needed some air before tackling the rest of this day. There was no way she’d be attending the ball. A few Hufflepuffs wanted her help getting ready so she’d help them, but there was no way she could face Larkyn or Dru again.

Weasley.

Had Dru been crying? Besides the beautiful curls she had been working on it was the first thing he had noticed when the door flung open. The tell tale signs were on her face; splotches near her eyes, reddened nose, puffy eyes... it made the smile on his face fall. Why was she upset? Had Lakryn said something? He'd kill him. She didn't say anything though, and she was quick to insult his profession. His lips pursed into a tight line as he held back a snippy remark. He'd save it for later. "Babe if you want to see me in my pajamas just let me know, I'll model them for you. I also do swimsuits upon request." A small smirk tugged at his lips as he taunted her, though it faded as soon as she started tasking him with favors.

If she was anyone else he'd tell her to get fucked. For Dru though, he viewed it as an honor. That she trusted him with things that needed to be done. The thought made his cheeks heat up as he took the earrings with a small nod. "U-Uh, yeah. Sure. Necklace, Loire, breakfast." As she moved to leave he noticed her glance, the heat to his cheek brightening as he glanced down at her. What was wrong with her today? Was it the ball?

It'd be a question for later. "Hey now little lady, I need one of these. How about something pretty, yeah?" Hunter slipped the shining amethyst from the pocket of his jeans and handed it to the now sniffling niffler, like she had been expecting things from him on a daily basis now. His dark eyes shifted through some of the jewelry on the bed. A few of them he liked and thought would look nice on her-- he hadn't known the color of her dress at all but he could only imagine it'd compliment her dazzling green eyes. Then a thought occurred to him; how many of these are from Larkyn? The thought turned his stomach.

Good think he brought his own. A silver emerald necklace with matching earrings that he saw in the window of a shop last week, it had made him think of her. There hadn't been a good time to give it to her yet, but it was the day of the dance and he was running out of time. Even if she didn't want to wear it tonight he at least wanted her to have it. Silently he produced the set and moved to sit it gently on the counter in front of her curler, a small smile on his face as he thought of her in it. "Think she'll like it?" A small squeak sounded from his new friend and he couldn't help but blush. It was the first time buying a gift for a girl. Hopefully she liked it.

Now that was said and done, Loire. He didn't bother going to the small angry females room. His room was next to Cyrus's and he could always see a black cat traipsing about on the roof to his room. "Are you kids dressed? Please be dressed." Hunter gave a couple knocks on the door before walking in, his hands going over his eyes to prevent him from seeing either naked. "We dressed? Cool." His arm dropped and he quickly produced the diamond earrings. "Loire these are yours, courtesy of Dru from your mother. I'm sure she sends her regards. Dru would like to remind you of your date with her and Minerva, it sounds like a riot." There was an awkward silence, and when he glanced between the two he could see the glare was directed right at him. "Right-o. Glad to chat."

With a drop of the earrings he was out, moving to where Dru was now sitting. "Necklace, earrings, date with Minerva. Check, check, check. I believe breakfast is next on that list? I'm starved." The tall man leaned against the back of the couch, his head turning to notice the grim expression on her face. "Dru are you okay? Seriously, you look like someone kicked your niffler." Quickly he hopped over the couch and crashed down next to her, his brows furrowing as he looked over her again. Was she angry, sad, all of the above?

His hand hand moved to hers to give it a reassuring squeeze. "Seriously, say the word and I'll kick their ass. Who was it? Larkyn?" His eyes flashed with rage. Why was he constantly hurting her? Cyrus got a good hit on the bastard, he was pretty sure it was his turn to have a go. "I-- do you want to get some breakfast or just get out of here?" It took everything in him to swallow his anger, but right now Dru needed him present, not ready to throw down.

Loire Gaunt

“You don’t need to join that ridiculous club because there’s nothing to be jealous of.” Loire snarled at the thought of Cyrus anywhere near Sapphira. Hunter was fine, an idiot but fine. Sapphira was a fucking snake in the grass, effectively stealing her brother from her in a matter of months. She hated that her brother could confide in her. Loire would be the first to admit her personality was cold on the best day, the same chilly personality of her father, but unlike him she always listened. She cared, gave advice. She tried to help. How could she help Larkyn when he shut her out completely? He was a fucking hypocrite— Loire hid her feelings for years because she was terrified he’d reject her feelings, yet he could hide secrets from them for years and it was fine? How was that fair? More importantly, how could he be mad at Cyrus? He was his BEST friend. His only real friend!

All of her rage and aggression shifted from her brother to that red headed whore.

“I may break his nose. I don’t care who tells my parents. When they find out about us I’m good as dead anyways.” With a heavy sigh she pushed herself from the bed to sit up, her small form scooting closer to Cyrus and curled up in his arm as her head rested on his shoulder. Whether she lived a week with him, a year or ten she had no regrets. Call it her cat like senses but, the future looming over her was dark. Her sixth sense was never wrong and Loire was living on borrowed time already. “Here.” She did her best to hide the anxiety of the future as she gently slipped a few gold coins into his palm. “Have the twins get me something that’ll have Nikolay busy for the evening. I’d like at least one dance with you, so if it doesn’t work you have full permission to steal me from him. And I’ll do my best at Larkyn damage control until then. For the both of us.” Starting with pushing Sapphira into the lake. "I'm sorry that he hit you." That was the fifth time this week apologizing for the same damned thing.

Suddenly Hunter's voice came through the door and she let out a long groan, not bothering to move from the safety of his arms as the idiot walked in. earrings? Of course her mother would mail them to Dru; Dru at least opened her mothers letter. If Loire ever received a letter from the woman she'd use it as kindling. Luckily he seemed to get the message and quickly retreated, the door slamming shut behind him. "Buffoon." She leaned forward to retrieve the earrings, her thumb gently tracing the large diamonds. Her mother only liked Loire as a doll; do this, wear this, say nothing. This was just her mother's loving reminder to keep in line and do as she told.

"We're dancing tonight." Fuck her mother, her father, fuck them all. With that declaration she shoved the damned earrings into her pocket with a huff and jumped to her feet to pace the room.

Seb. Longbottom

Girlfriend. The word had such a beautiful melody to it, he wanted to shout it from the rooftops. Delaney forbid the rooftop so he had to settle with telling, well, everyone. He had been waiting for over a decade for her to take his feelings seriously, he never actually thought she'd reciprocate the feelings but she did. She loved him, he could feel that with every kiss, but his one fear was Gran. Gran had a habit of crushing their spirits in regards to one another. Seb's theory? Tell her straight up the next time they see her. It'd only get worse the longer they keep it a secret!

That would be a troublesome conversation with Delaney so he was preparing for the right time to spring it on her. So, for now he bit his tongue and busied himself putting the yellow ribbon around the large box. With a flick of the wand it disappeared and a bright grin lit up his face. Dressed in a navy button up with dark slacks with matching dark high top sneakers, he gave himself a lookover in the mirror. Just as he pushed his hair back the beautiful sound of her voice came from just outside his door. Perfect timing.

"My oh my. We can't be having a professor being tardy, now can we?" Seb quickly stepped out from his room, his blue eyes taking their time to scan over Delaney with the most charming smile plastered on his face. Dear Merlin, she always took his breath away. "You're looking quite exquisite this morning Miss Wilson. Dare I say I may have become quite the jealous boyfriend." Damn Neville, he should have asked for her to do his hair first. With a relaxed sigh he moved to wrap his arms around her shoulders, pulling her in for a long hug. "Now why are you looking so happy this morning my love? The weather, the ball, a certain dress you liked but wouldn't show me?" His lips landed on the top of her head for a quick peck.

After a long moment his arms dropped from around her, though his fingers lingered on her waist. He knew she had to leave, he just didn't want her too. It was weird, he had never felt this yearning for someone before and it was driving him crazy. "I have a few things to do or I'd go dote on Neville with you, but I'll be at your room to escort you to the ball." and he was more or less avoiding Delecour, not wanting her to catch him before the dance. If she had heard about their relationship or not it didn't seem to deter her.

Druella “Dru” Malfoy

Larkyn and Sapphira just kept invading her thoughts, the mental image, the words he said to her, all of it on repeat as she sat shakily on the couch. His comment about Hunter has made her feel guilty, like the realization hit her that Larkyn wasn’t wrong. Was it really that much worse that Sapphira was in his bed? Dru had met Hunter’s family for Merlin’s sakes! She spent morning to night with him, Hunter brought Jade gifts every morning and he made her coffee… he even made sure to make it how she liked it. All of those wonderful things suddenly felt like a hand around her throat, a hand that was squeezing the air from her lungs and preventing her from taking in more. Her manicured hands clutched the edge of the cushion as she fought back the sobs that threatened to come out. Love was the most precious thing and the most painful. Larkyn had broken her heart, pulled the rug out from under her and made her realize that the person she trusted most in the world maybe wasn’t as close to her as she thought. Hunter had stitched her up, helped her stand tall, made her feel more like herself than she ever had. Then the rug got pulled again with the realization that his love, their love, was just absolutely fucking cursed. It would never happen, no matter how badly she wanted it. No matter if Larkyn and Sapphira tried to run off into the sunset. All roads ended with Dru miserable.

The couch sank next to her and Dru let out a whimper, she didn’t want to talk to Hunter right now. She couldn’t handle it. Every word he said made her feel so warm, she wanted to lean into him and cry. She wanted him to hold her and make everything better. But those feelings only cracked her chest more and more. Then his hand touched hers and it was the final blow. The sunshine that coursed through her at his touch turned to winter. Blistering, cold, harsh.

“Just stop Hunter!” Dru cried, ripping her hand from him and cradling it to her chest. She couldn’t even look at him as she spoke, if she did she would lose her nerve. Hunter was too good for her, too good to keep wasting her time on this, even too good to be her friend. Dru was toxic, she ruined everything she touched. She wouldn’t ruin him. “Stop trying to- whatever this is! Just give up on me. There is no world in which we end up friends outside of this, don’t you get that? I either marry Larkyn or I meet a life of horror from my parents. My last name is a fucking curse. Everything is just-“ She stopped to breathe, the air coming in ragged through sobs she hadn’t realized had started. After a few moments she finally turned to look at him, her eyes hard with forced steel. “Move on.”

Dru stood and swallowed, watching him for a long moment. Taking in all the lines of his face, his absolutely sad and stunned expression. She would commit it to memory, she would use it every time she felt weak enough to want to run to him, she would remember how badly she made him feel just to give her the strength to leave him alone. She wouldn’t pull down Hunter Weasley with her. She wouldn’t pull him into this mess. “Please.” It was softer than the last few words she had thrown at him. “I’ll only end up ruining you Hunter. It’s all I do.” Dru couldn’t stand her any longer, her legs threatened to buckle once more. So instead she turned and quickly made her way back to her room, slamming it shut behind her and locking it.

Then Dru collapsed, not even inches from the door. She slid to the tiles and curled up against the cold, no more sobs came… at this point she was thoroughly numb. Jade patted over to her with a necklace in her hands, dropping it next to Dru with a little whimper before she curled into the girls side. It had to have been the necklace Hunter chose, her eyes darted to it quickly and instantly she realized it wasn’t one she owned…. That was when the sobs returned.

Delaney Wilson

“Mmm, I’m not sure. It could have to do with that, some sneaky brat went behind my back but it turned out for the best in the end.” Delaney chuckled as Seb pulled her against him, her arm arms wrapping around him loosely. She wasn’t sure if she would ever get used to this, it still felt like a dream. A small piece of her was a bit sad that they had lost so much time of this, but everything happened for a reason. Maybe if they had admitted it to each other sooner they wouldn’t have been mature enough to handle the relationship. Maybe they needed to wait until now so it could be so good. Delaney smiled into the short kiss, her eyes opening when they separated to peer up at him. “You know, you ought to be jealous. My date this morning asked me to the ball first technically, but he’s a bit young for me.” Neville had obviously been joking out of his own desperation to find a date but Delaney couldn’t help but pick on Seb.

“Understandable. After I get Neville taken care of I have to get the trees for the Great Hall. Meet you back here then?” Delaney kissed him again quickly, down the hall two different doors slammed and she pulled away with a sigh. This fucking group. “Pull it together people! Today is about the students!” Her voice yelled through the area before flashing Seb a bright smile and making her way to go meet Neville.

Cyrus

“Hey now, down girl. I was just kidding.” Cyrus signed, a soft chuckle pairing it as Loire curled into his side. “Loire you’re not as good as dead, worst come to worst we dye your hair and move to Iceland. We could get a nice little cabin and live amongst the muggles. Your parents would never search for you in the muggle world, too below them right?” He snorted and wrapped his arm around her tighter, pulling her in close and kissing her head. Loire was never bubbly but he hated seeing how angry she had been lately, he wanted to help her get out of this but it was hard. “You know, I’m with you on the breaking his nose. Seems like a sound plan to me.” She adjusted slightly to swipe some coins into his palm and Cyrus rolled his eyes slightly. “Oh come on now Loire, I can buy my lady something nice! I don’t need you to fund your own gift.” He shoved the coin in his pocket anyways, before turning his head to look down at her. He already had a million plans running through his head, he could get the twins to slip a candy to the big brute in an attempt to get him too sick to attend the ball, he could simply turn his legs to jello with a spell though that plan was mildly illegal… there was also always the idea of just telling the man to absolutely go fuck himself. It wasn’t like he would likely cause a scene at the ball, not in front of all the students. The first one would be best, though Cyrus would have loved for either of those other options to be more possible. “I’ll find the guys later, have him bring a gift of some candies to your lovely fiancé.”

Hunters voice came at the door and he came in after a few seconds. “Oh grow up.” Cyrus reached and threw a loose pillow at the tall man with a scoff. “Like you wouldn’t like the show if you had walked in on it.” Cyrus smirked, giving Hunter wag of his eyebrows. The two of them hadn’t known each other much back in school, but Cyrus had always thought that Hunter would’ve been fun to hang around. The red haired male announced that he was here to drop off a some earrings from Loires mother, an announcement that made Cyrus look at her with raised brows. “Ignoring her mail again are we?” Hunter left and Cyrus watched and Loire moved to collect the ridiculously large diamond earrings. “Ahhh, she needed to make sure you reminded everyone how rich you guys are. Got it.”

Loire shoved them in her pocket before jumping up and pacing. Cyrus stayed on the bed for a moment watching her, “Loire calm down. Don’t let it get to you this bad.” After a few few more moments of her pacing, he decided to slowly get up from the bed and walk over to her. Cyrus grabbed her by the shoulders and stopped her pacing, staring down her for a long moment. “We can dance all night okay, whatever you want. We can go dressed in fucking potato sacks. You just tell me what you want. Want to walk in there dressed to the nines, holding hands and saying fuck it all? I’m down. Want to not go at all? We can find something else to do. Want to go with that moron? It’ll piss me off, but I’ll stand at the side and watch. Whatever you want okay, I’m here.”

Larkyn Gaunt

Sapphira had run before Larkyn could even begin to think straight, he couldn’t fully understand everything that had happened. It all went down so quickly that by the time he actually began to comprehend the situation Larkyn was left standing alone in his room. He thought about going to find Sapphira but decided it was for the best to give her some space. The words that she had left him with… they caused more of that internal suffering. The whole splitting yourself in two act was at full force once more.

Larkyn avoided everyone until the last moment, not wanting to have to speak with anyone more than necessary. He had gotten dressed, a pair of light grey slacks, a white dress shirt with silver lines embedded in the material. His hair was slicked back, his dress robes pulled over his shoulders and his auror pin attached at the chest. At his wrists he wore a pair of diamond and emerald cufflinks, ones that Dru had given him as a gift years ago. Putting them on was an experience, he nearly changed them out but decided to push back the thoughts and just go forward.

Dru and Larkyn arrived to the ball together, unspeaking and arm in arm. It felt wrong. It had never felt wrong before but now it made him want to pull away. They said hello to a few people together but then Dru excused herself to go find Loire. It had been like that for a half an hour now, Dru and Loire hiding in the corner…. Larkyn standing alone against a wall. He noticed people looking, he noticed people whispering about how it looked. He shoved from the wall and made his way across the hall to his twin and his fiancé. The shiver that went through both of them as they prepared for him to go off the rails again didn’t go unnoticed.

“You wanted to come together.” Larkyns voice was a low growl as he stared at Dru, “Those who know us are realizing this is strange.” Normally the two of them would have been on the dance floor all night, only taking breaks when necessary, it was their tactic to avoid unpleasant conversations at different events. “So like you said, we pretend everything is normal tonight. Talk tomorrow. Can’t you stomach a dance or two with me? I didn’t think I was that repulsive.”

Larkyn held out a hand to her, ignoring the bile that rose in his throat as he gave her a gentle smile. “Dru?”

Loire Gaunt

What a fucking predicament. Loire felt like she was just as in the wrong as Larkyn. She should've never let this thing with Cyrus get this far, not without being honest with him. But if she was honest with him about what would happen to her she was terrified he'd leave her. She had already lost Larkyn it felt like, and if Cyrus left her she'd be devastated. Her family wouldn't hurt Cyrus when they find out, no, they'd hurt her. They'd severely hurt her, if not kill her. It had happened to a dozen women before her, an unpunishable crime in the pure blood families, and the Gaunts wouldn't think twice to punish Loire.

Even if her family would hunt her down if they ran away she'd cherish that dream. For now though, she just wanted to enjoy what she had with the most amazing, understanding, and supportive man. With a long kiss she promised to meet up with him before the dance. If she didn't attend she could only assume Larkyn would get the brunt of the punishment and that was her sole reason keeping her from bailing on this event. That, and she genuinely enjoyed a good dance.

Apparently Dru decided to play hooky on her and Minerva. While Loire wasn't quite sure what was going on she covered for Dru, saying something about a family emergency. Completely a lie, but Loire had a damned good poker face and Minerva always had a soft spot for Loire-- fitting seeing as they were both cats. The two of them worked magic on the Great Hall; the pillars were now completely finely sculpted curved pillars of ice with icicles hanging from the top, snowflakes were suspended in the air and twinkled in the lights, and it truly looked like a winter wonderland.

Instantly she veered for Dru's room, irritation etched on her features as she found the door locked. Nothing a wave of the wand couldn't fix. Completely forced to be in each others circles since they were in diapers the girls grew to be like sisters, even before her engagement to Larkyn. They butted heads more often than not, but the girls would still go to bat for each other. So when she went to give Dru a verbal lashing and instead found her basically a puddle on the floor, well, she paused. Loire was possibly the WORST person to comfort someone, but she did. She even rubbed Dru's back as she sobbed and poured out her heart and soul.

This all boiled down to Sapphira's whorish tendency. Larkyn shutting them all out, Larkyn sleeping with her. She'd fucking kill the woman. "More punch?" After Loire told Dru that she was Druella Fucking Malfoy and to pull herself together for the night the girls got ready together. Loire wore an elegant black dress that had a long slit up the side, cut outs along the waist and deep V of the dress, and black pumps. Half of her hair was braided into a crown while the rest of it fell in perfect curls down her back, her makeup perfectly done with a ruby red lip that was the only color on her. Now they were drinking their sorrows at a table in the corner by themselves. Nikolay apparently either didn't eat the candy, or he hadn't gotten sick yet and he was obnoxiously waiting for her as soon as she left the staffing room.

Leaving her to occasionally glance over at Cyrus with a solemn, almost sad expression on her face. Until Larkyn showed up and instantly brought her scowl back. "You are Druella fucking Malfoy. You can do this. Or say the word and I'll bite him. Scratch out his eyes. Whatever you want."

Sapphira

Apparently peer pressure was still a thing she fell victim too. As the girls giggled and talked about their dates, about the dance, about the makeup Sapphira was expertly applying to their face, they asked why she herself wasn't getting ready. Simply put, Sapphira said she wasn't attending. She... had some business to attend to, but she was horrible at lying. The girls were quick to pressure her into coming, saying how they needed her moral support and what not. Once the girls were all ready she smiled sweetly at them and told them she'd think about it.

Cedric was the one that sealed the deal for her. Once she went to check on him he asked the same damned question, and when he found out she was ditching? He called her a chicken. "Too afraid to face that pretty auror of yours?" How did he know? She gave him a shocked expression, told him to respect his mentor, and he just chuckled on his way to go meet Cho. What. A. Brat.

By the time she made it back to the mentor floor it was quiet. She could easily take this opportunity to pack her bags, but the obnoxiously red velvet topped dress hanging by the window mocked her. One last dance. She wasn't chicken. If she went she could giggle with those sweet Hufflepuff girls that loved her, steal Delaney for one last dance, check in to make sure that Cedric and Cho were having a good time. There was more than Larkyn at that dance, he'd be too busy dancing with Dru to even notice she was there.

So Sapph got ready. Curled her already wavy crimson locks, laced the corset of her dress up with deft hands, and finished off her own makeup with a crimson lip. The dress complimented her curvy, athletic physique and she couldn't help but note how good she looked in it. A shimmering diamond and ruby necklace curved around her neck and fell right above her cleavage, diamond earrings secured to her ears.

And so she entered the Great Hall, the ball already fully on its way. Her bright eyes scanned the room through long lashes for a moment. There was Seb and Delaney dancing like they were the only people in the room. Cho and Cedric were by the punch getting themselves a drink, obviously people watching and snickering to themselves. Those poor Hufflepuff girls were standing against the wall awkwardly with their dates. It was enough to cause a smile to crack her face.

That smile fell as soon as she seen Larkyn and Dru. They were engaged, of course they'd dance together. Quickly she looked away, her eyes spotting Hunter sitting in the corner on his own. He was the last company she needed. She simply made her way over to Cedric and Cho with a small smile. "You two look like you're conspiring over here." She quietly giggled and poured herself a goblet of punch. Cedric gave her a wicked grin, his arm looping around Cho's shoulders and looked over the people of the ball. All Sapphira did was avoid looking over at Larkyn and Dru.

Weasley.

What had happened? Just that morning everything felt fine. No, no. She had been crying and he was an idiot for not inquiring. Hunter felt his soul crushing with each word Dru spoke, his entire being crumbling. Every time someone yelled at him it was always something about him, about his family. It was always how he was lesser than the muggles. He'd rather her of yelled that, then at least it was something familiar. With the way that Dru spoke of herself, calling herself a fucking curse, it literally broke him. He was left in shock and unable to form words.

He sat there for a good while, his hand nearly stinging painfully from her pulling from him. Dru was so, so much more than a curse, more than her name. But... she was right. Outside of this they could never be friends. It was a painful, world shattering truth that he had known all along. It made tears prickle in his eyes and he took a hard swallow to hide them. He didn't chase after her at all, he simply left it as is.

After this he'd be gone anyways. It'd be for the best.

Somehow that didn't ease the pain as he readied himself for the dance. Honestly he didn't know why he was attending, it wasn't like Dru would even look at him again, but there was something in him that told him to go. That even though she said all those cruel, heart wrenching things, that he still needed to be there to support her. Even in silence. Even if they never spoke to each other again. The thought alone brought bile to his throat as he prepped himself for the ball. Black slacks with a red button down, his dress robes pulled over his shoulders. Emerald cufflinks that matched the jewels he had brought Dru. Putting them on was otherworldly painful but, they were all he had. It wasn't like she'd wear the jewelry anyway, no one would ever know but him.

Quickly he brushed back his rapidly growing Weasley red locks and went to the ball. He went after the others, not sure if he could bare watching Dru and Larkyn arm in arm now... now or ever, he supposed. It didn't matter. He would leave after this year and she'd never think about him again. Of course once he walked inside he spotted her with Loire of all people and, merlin dammit, she looked so fucking beautiful his heart threatened to shatter right then and there.

He wanted to go to her. She didn't want that though, so he simply sat in a corner with a couple Gryffindor kids and drank some punch. The old him would laugh at him now-- he'd dance with all the girls with no care in the world. Now all he could think about was one girl, and how that one girl would never-- could never love him. Just a few months left of this then there'd be nothing but living on the run and his dragons. Perhaps Merlin would spare him and have the dragons burn him to a crisp.

Dru and Loire seemed to be avoiding their dates, or at least that's what he noted every time he glanced their way. However this time Larkyn stood there with her, hand out in what he assumed an inquiry to dance. "Fuck that guy," he muttered quietly to himself, now alone at the table with his brothers. "Jealous, brother?" He sneered over at Fred before finishing off his punch.

Seb. Longbottom

Everyone else in the house was moody save for Seb and Delaney. He wasn't going to let the negative energies get to him and it was clear that his counterpart felt the same way. He watched her off with a warm smile before letting a small sigh pass his lips. Delecour haunted his mind. He'd like to think as a guest of Hogwarts she wouldn't make a scene, but the woman was quite theatric. Earlier in the week he had turned down her invite to the dance and she of course probed why, and when she found out why she scoffed. "You don't need to fake a date to make me jealous. It's okay to want me back." Thankfully there were some Ravenclaws that called him by name and he was able to get out of the awkward conversation.

And then Moody weighed heavily on him. Delaney and Larkyn went to bat for the man, said he was odd but smart. After Neville's story about what happened in class, though... The man didn't sit right with him anymore. Something in him told him to be wary of the man; trust him on the surface level, but keep an eye on him. Ironic, considering this was Mad Eye Moody.

Still, he wasn't going to let those things get the best of his day. This was finally the dance where he didn't have to dance with Delaney and Sapph, he finally just got to take Delaney on a date. He dressed in his finest; dark blue slacks, a light blue button up, and a navy dress robes. Yellow diamond cufflinks were his choice for the dance, only of course to match the yellow of Delaney's dress. He smiled at himself in the mirror, absolutely giddy about it all.

"You, my dear, are a fine dancer. Who would have guessed?" Seb couldn't help but chuckle quietly as he escorted Delaney off of the dance floor, leading her back to their table while holding her hand. Of course she could use a few dance lessons, and who better to do that than Seb? He was a force to be reckon on the dance floor yet there was no one he'd rather dance with. He held her close, quietly humming to the music as he handed her the goblet of punch. Seb was beaming, glowing with happiness. He didn't even notice the glare that Delecour had been giving him and Delaney all night.

As he took a long drink, sweat beading from his forehead from the nonstop dancing, his blue eyes landed on Sapphira as she joined. His gut twisted. There was some guilt looking at her, like him and Delaney had completely abandoned her as of late. He tried not to think of it, especially as she instantly veered off towards Cedric and Cho. "All bets are on Dru pouring her drink on Larkyn. The man deserves it." Larkyn had been paying extra attention to Saph as of late, and while Seb was the LAST person to judge her male companions he didn't approve. He could only assume Delaney shared the same sentiment.

Druella “Dru” Malfoy

Loire and Druella had never been the type of girls to sit around and gossip about boys, go out and get a drink or even really hang out in general. They were the type of girls who were comfortable with each other in silence, who would go to bat for one another and even if they didn’t particularly seek out one another’s time, they didn’t necessarily dislike it either. So when Loire was the one to come pick up the pieces of the shattered woman on the floor, it meant a lot. Dru was fairly certain if it had been anyone else she wouldn’t have listened, she would have bit their head off and moved from the floor to her bed. Instead Dru let everything go, she told Loire everything she had seen in that room. She told Loire about the talk they had. She told Loire that she was in love with Hunter Weasley… Dru knew it was over. Bridge burned. But she needed to say it out loud to someone, to let it out because she would never be able to tell Hunter.

It took a while but eventually Dru was transformed into the ever so perfect woman that she attempted to present at events. Cold, steely, classy. Her makeup hid the redness from crying, her skin porcelain with touches of rouge on her cheeks. Her lips swiped with a light pink that was very close to their natural color. Her makeup was rather natural in general save for her eyes, lined with dark liner that was smoking the edges, lashes darkened and silver shadow dancing across her eyelids. It matched the glint from the necklace around her neck, the gift from Hunter. Dru had thought it was a bad idea to wear it but she couldn’t just leave it on her desk, it felt wrong and even just the cold metal around her neck gave her a slight bit of comfort. Her hair was curled into soft waves tumbling down her back with her bangs pinned with a silver barrette. Then there was the dress, a lighter green than her usual shade and adorned with many tiny little stones and silver beading. It hugged every small curve that she did have and trumpeted out at her knees.

“I’m cursing the fact that this isn’t wine.” Dru sneered as she sipped at the overly sweet punch, hating everything about standing here and trying her best to avoid making eye contact with Larkyn or Hunter from across the room. Instead she watched for Draco, trying to distract herself from her own pathetic life and focus on him. She glanced over at Loire and sighed, holding out her cup for anothe refill despite her disdain of the lack of alcohol.

In the time it took her to quickly glance, Larkyn had made his way towards her and Dru felt her stomach drop. Great. Next to her Loire spoke up and Dru felt something click, something that made her stand just about a centimeter taller. Loire was right, she could do this. “I don’t need the attitude Larkyn, you could just ask. We did like each other once.” Dru hissed through her teeth but responded with a smile, her hand moving gracefully into his as he led her to the dance floor for the next song that was starting.

They fell into it easily despite the tension, they had danced together thousands of times, it was second nature amongst their families. But this time Dru could tell there would be no banter, no making fun of the dresses their mothers wore or picking who they thought would get drunk first in the crowd. This time it felt like she was dancing with a stranger despite the muscle memory of the dance. “You’re not repulsive.” It was the first words she said as he spun her around, her hand shifting uncomfortably on his shoulder once she returned to position. “Your behavior yes, but not you. I-“ She let her voice fade as they turned again, her eyes making the mistake of looking away. It was only a mistake because instead they found Hunter, standing against a wall with his brothers. He looked angry, beaten, sad… it only confirmed she was right. She was a curse… she ruined people. Just like Larkyn, his family was shit too but she was sure she didn’t help. Maybe if Dru had never sought him out as a partner they would have never gotten here.

“I’m not going to lie to you and say that I don’t also find the appeal in cancelling our engagement. In walking away and doing what we want, being with who we want. But Larkyn how do we just throw it all away? Ten years we’ve been together. Ten years we’ve worked together on everything. You’re my best friend.” The last part choked in her throat and Dru fought to keep up her happy face. “If people knew you- if people found out you slept with her it would make me look like an idiot. It would screw everything up and I just-“ She paused to sigh, “Larkyn I’m not wanting to trap you. I don’t want to force you to do anything. I just want the fucking respect I deserve after years of being with you. I want the respect of a conversation before you toss caution to the fucking wind. Did you even consider me? Loire? Cyrus? I mean seriously, I don’t even recognize the person who’s making these choices Larkyn.”

The song swelled and they moved fluidly around the floor, Larkyn remained silent the entire time she ranted at him. “Are you going to say anything?”

Delaney Wilson

“Well I did have to try very hard to not step on your feet, so I’ll take it as a win.” Delaney grinned over at Seb as he led her away from the mass of dancing people. Neville had been to nervous to ask Ginny to dance again after the opening number of the evening so Seb took charge and forced all of them out onto the floor. After a few songs, it seemed Neville completely forgot about his cousin and Delaney. Good. Seb got her some punch which Delaney took happily, taking a long drink before gently placing it on the table behind her and turning her focus to fixing her loose hair. Getting ready for this kind of thing was not her strong suit and Sapph had been busy with some of the students and Cedric. So Delaney had straightened her hair herself and twisted it into a sort of messy French twist that got worse as the dancing went on. Her dress for the evening was thankfully light and easy to move in, the blue tulle of the tea length garment keeping her from sweating in the magically warmed Great Hall.

There had been a few events during her life, not many like this but a handful, every single one she wish that she could go with Sebastian. It felt like a dream, standing here next to him like this. Honestly the past few weeks had as well. Though now, while still happy, the euphoria of the new relationship was fading enough for her to realize a few things and feel bad about them. Delaney hadn’t spoke to Sapphira in days, not real conversation, just small talk in the halls and at meals. Some best friend she was! Delaney had been so absorbed in Seb, even before their night together, and she had been ignoring Sapph who she had begged to come back to help with this year. Across the room she noticed Sapphira had joined, from here she looked happy enough as she chatted with Cedric but Delaney made a mental note to steal her away soon for dancing.

“Hmm? Oh yeah totally. Honestly I hope she does, he’s been a real jerk. I don’t ever remember being a huge fan of him but I don’t ever remember him being like this, do you?” Delaney knew people changed, especially her, but Larkyn seemed to have changed drastically even since the start of this year. Her eyes went to where the couple danced in the center of the room and Delaney felt a shiver move down her spine. It felt like something was happening. Her eyes went back to her friend with Cedric and Cho and Delaney shifted slightly where she stood.

Delaneys hand moved to weave her fingers through Sebs, her head leaning to rest on his shoulder. “You know, I can remember being jealous of them all. Larkyn and Dru, Loire… jealous of their upbringing. I always thought they had such strong families. Such good history. I think it’s because I never knew mine, I mean I love Gran. I love how I was raised and I wouldn’t change it for the world. But I don’t know where I came from, they all had such rich history. And Sapph too, her family was so- it seems awful to say out loud knowing how bad they are to her, but they just seemed so sure in who they are.” She signed and turned to press a quick kiss to his check, earning a few giggles from some watching students. “But now I realize that being jealous of that was stupid, they all know where they came from and look at the mess they are. I was some orphan picked up by Gran and look where I am? I have my dream job and a wonderful man I love with my whole heart. I couldn’t be happier.”

Cyrus

“Shouldn’t those, whatever, you gave him be kicking in by now? I mean the guy is still scarfing down appetizers like his stomach is an empty pit.” Cyrus grumbled from where he leaned again the wall with Hunter and the twins. “Patience C, all good things come to those who wait and what not.” George spoke up besides him as Fred chastised Hunter on the opposite side. “I didn’t know you could say something that sounded half way intelligent, I’m impressed.” He snorted, arms crossing over each other as he glanced between Nickolay and Loire. She had decided to get him sick so he would need to leave in order to avoid any drama but he was getting impatient. It didn’t help that she looked so fucking gorgeous, it was taking everything for him to not push off the wall and storm over there right now.

Cyrus had known that Loire would go the all black and sparkly route so he made an effort to match. It wasn’t like anyone would assume they were matching besides them, black was a common formal color. So he too wore all black, pants, button up shirt and vest over top. His long dark hair was tied neatly back in a bun at the nape of his neck. His fingers were adorned with a dozen silver rings and around his neck he wore a simple chain instead of a tie. He was probably the only adult here who had left his dress robes out of the picture. “I never knew you two to be such sissies.” Fred chuckled, quickly followed by his brother who added, “Some role models yeah? On that note sad sacks, we’re going to go find our dates.” Then they were gone. Leaving Hunter and Cyrus standing and sulking like before.

Cyrus couldn’t help his gaze from moving to Loire once more, this time noticing that Larkyn had approached. “Yup, I’m done. Have fun Hunter.” He patted the man roughly on the shoulder and quickly strolled over to where Loire now stood alone. He glanced over to the dance floor to see that Dru and Larkyn were now dancing and he let out a grimace. “Yikes, that’ll probably go about as well as a nuclear attack.” He shook his head and turned to look at Loire once more, “Let’s dance”. He held out his hand, looking down at her with a mischievous expression dancing across his face. “If we don’t now, we will probably lose the chance to do so before Dru kills your brother and they have the evacuate the room to clean up the blood. Plus, I want to see your finances face when the prettiest girl in the room dances with the poor mixed blood boy.”

Cyrus beamed down at Loire, he didn’t care anymore about who saw them. In his mind the worst of it was over, Larkyn knew. Nickolas could go fuck himself, and if Loire really didn’t want to stir the pot they always had the excuse of being friends for years. “Come on, I promise I won’t bite.”

Larkyn Gaunt

“Thanks sister, very encouraging.” Larkyn scoffed at his twin before taking Drus hand and moving towards the center of the dance floor. His hand kept hers while the other moved to cradle her waist as they began to move to the music. Neither of them were half the dancer that Loire was, but they were well practiced enough to look mildly impressive to the normal eye. It was like that for a while, the two of them moving in an awkward silence that was pulled taught with tension. Sadness bubbled within him at that realization, the realization that Larkyn was losing everyone that made him feel at ease. Loire was his family, his home and now she looked at him like scum. She had sided with Dru in all of this and Larkyn couldnt blame her. Then there was Dru and Cyrus, they were his best friends, his people, his support. His circle was small to begin with and now there was no one… they all seemed to be done with him.

Dru was the first to speak, Larkyn listened. He kept them moving in time with the music but the more she talked the more he messed up the steps, the more the sadness turned to anger and frustration. “You’re upset with me because I didn’t talk about us cheating on each other?” He hissed the words low to make sure no one could hear. “If that’s the issue at hand, why not get married and have relationships on the side? I mean as long as we have a conversation and agree right?” He spun her shortly before pulling her back and letting out a heavy sigh. “Why do we have to lay down and take it, you yelled at me just a few weeks ago for making myself a martyr but don’t you think that’s a bit hypocritical Dru, I mean what are you doing?”

They turned again and his eyes caught a glimpse of red that yanked his attention to the woman standing near the edge of the dance floor with a few students. The sight of her took his breath instantly from his lungs, made his knees weak… made his heart go pounding in his chest. Sapphira was always beautiful, in her day clothes, in this evening gown, in his t shirt… He hadn’t seen her since she ran off this morning. It was only a few hours ago but then he hadn’t known what to do, what to say… but now after this conversation with Dru, after seeing her again and feeling what he felt. It was like something snapped into place in his heart. “Dru I’m done.”

Larkyn turned to look down at her, stopping abruptly mid song and squeezing her hand gently before he let it drop from his. “I can’t do this, I can’t keep this up. I would rather walk off the astronomy tower than keep trying to pretend this okay.” He looked at her again, well aware that he was likely losing one of his two best friends, one of his only friends. “Neither of us should have to do this, if we do aren’t we just keeping alive these shitty ideals from our parents? I- I’m not marrying you.” Larkyn turned and walked away without another word, stalking straight across the room to Sapphira and gently taking her by the elbow.

“Can we talk?” Larkyn said it as a question but he didn’t leave much of a choice. Instead he moved the hand at her elbow to the small of her back and gently pushed her along until they were walking out the side entrance of the Great Hall that led to one of the hallways. Larkyn didn’t wait to say more, he didn’t try and make it sound pretty or romantic. He needed to say it now, like every second he held onto the words he was burning his tongue. “I called off my engagement.”

Sapphira

"Incoming." "What?" The sudden warning from Cedric had Sapphira stand straight up as she prepared for the worst. She spun on her heels and her eyes instantly landed on Larkyn as he stalked towards them. Her eyes darted to Dru, abandoned mid dance, before quickly settling back on him. "I-I don't think that--" But it was clear that his question was more or less a demand. Quietly she bit at her lip as she followed where he was leading her to, her mind racing with a million things at once.

"I-- what?" That wasn't one of the million things in her head. Sapphira had stopped dead in her tracks as they finally made it out into the hallway, her whole body turning to look up at him. Even in her heels he still stood a few good inches taller than her. Called off the engagement... it had elated her and crushed her all at once. What of all the things he stood to lose? His job, his sister, everything he held dear. Dru too! "What happened? Are you okay?" Instinctively her hands oved to cup his face so she could meet his gaze, her thumbs making soothing caresses on his cheek. This decision couldn't have been made lightly and surely was a burden he was going to try and bare alone. She wouldn't let him.

Without warning her arms flew around his neck and pulled him flush against her for the warmest hug she'd ever given anyone. "I am so proud of you," she breathed the words in his ear. Surely he heard that all the time, how proud his family was of him, but she couldn't help it. She was so, so proud of him. Larkyn was finally standing up for himself, doing what he wanted and what would make him happy. He may haven't of been doing it the right way but, was there right way to do this?

Sapphira soon realized that she was there in the middle of the hallway holding him and her cheeks heated. Quickly she parted the hug and smoothed out his dress robes, a bright smile lighting up her face despite the silver lining her eyes. She missed him; his voice, his scent, everything about him. It had only been a few hours but she had all but written this, them, off. Seeing him here and now, though, she realized just how much she cared for him. "I was planning on leaving tomorrow so I wouldn't be burdening you anymore. But I- I could stay here with you. Find a job somewhere in the magical world... or I could take you away, far far away from everything. You just-- you tell me what you want to do."

Last edited:
Loire Gaunt

Never in her life would Loire lump her brother in with scum. He drove her crazy at times, more times than she'd like as of late, but he was her twin. That didn't mean that she wouldn't call him out when she was wrong, and he expected him of the same courtesy. So it drove her insane that he was being so evil to her as of late. It broke her heart how he cut her out so easily, how he refused to speak to her. It made her want to pummel that bitch in red.

At least until Cyrus's soothing voice pulled her from her thoughts. Her heart skipped a beat and she quickly looked up at him, a small smile tugging at her lips. She had looked at him more than a dozen times tonight but, being this up close to him, he looked immaculate. Loire took a long moment to look him over, truly appreciating the fact that he wore all black to match her and how good it looked on him. Thank Merlin she chose not to match Nikolay in his obnoxious reds and blues. "I would truly hate to lose a dance with you dressed in all your finery." Loire simply smirked and took his hand, her fingers lacing together with his as she made her strides to the dance floor. "Shame about the no biting thing though."

Only, the big brute seemed to have notice the two of them and was quick to step in the way, his hand instantly grabbing for Loire. This time Loire was faster and took a step back. "You are mine. Quit wasting time with this mutt and dance with me." Instantly she let out a warning growl, her brows furrowed as he glared daggers at the man. "I don't belong to anyone. Cyrus is the one I choose to be with-- so that's who I will be with. There will be no union between us." The man was clearly angry and he moved to grab her again, only this time his face turned green and he was running out of the room. Good timing for the candy to kick in.

There would be so many repercussions to this decision. From where they stood she could see Larkyn escorting Sapphira out of the room and it caused her to give a curt laugh. Loire would die for her sins to the family, Larkyn would at worst be shunned. That was an issue for later though. "Come on." Her hand gave Cyrus an encouraging squeeze as she pulled him along to the dance floor. For now she was visibly relaxed as she took his hand, her other going to hold his shoulder. "Well O'connor, I don't believe we've ever had a proper dance. I'll go easy on you." And so with that she began to slowly lead him to the beat of the music. One step, two, her feet swiftly carrying them across the floor with grace, all the while keeping her gaze fixed on his.

Last edited:
Weasley.

Sissy. Hunter Weasley was a lot of things; devilishly good looking, quick as a whip, the list went on. Sissy was not on that list. He rolled his eyes as the twins went off to find their dates, honestly he was more surprised that there was women that could handle the two of them. It's fine, he had Cyrus to stay with. "Cyrus? Hey. Hey- Be strong!" But he was gone. Great.

For a moment he envied Cyrus as Loire accepted his invite, wishing that he could have the same thing. Those two faced so much shit for being together, well at least Loire, but she so unabashedly cared for him and didn't push him away. Dru told him to stay away and he respected her enough to do just that. That didn't mean he was okay with the things she said about herself! Why didn't she see herself the way he did? Why didn't Larkyn lift her up and treat her like the goddamned priceless gem she was? Anger boiled in his veins as he shoved himself from the wall and stormed towards the door. There was no reason he should be here anymore.

Only, he took one last look at Dru and he felt his entire being shatter. Larkyn was walking away, where he didn't fucking care, and leaving Dru alone mid song. The tense shoulders he once had drooped in defeat. Before his mind could rationalize leaving, that this would be what she wanted him to do, his heart commanded his feet to head straight towards her. Whoever saw him approaching her, whoever wanted to whisper, he didn't give a single fuck. The only person that existed in this moment was Dru and the devastated look on her face.

Gently he took her hand and placed it on his shoulder, one hand held her by the waist and pulled her close enough to feel the boiling heat radiating even through his clothes, before finally taking her hand in his and directing their dance. Hunter wasn't a skilled dancer by any means but, he could do a simple ballroom dance-- his mom made sure of it. Still, he swallowed the desire to punch Larkyn and gave her a tentative smile. "The necklace looks even better than I thought it would." He didn't bother saying how he thought she'd of thrown it in the trash after this morning. There was no need to rip open fresh wounds.

"I carry a curse around me that will kill my family if I stay home for long." A hell of a way to start a conversation, yet here they were. "I'm the type of person that is a curse. Weasley? People spit at my name. I'm considered worse than trash in your world." She went off about how she was a curse, but he needed her to see that he was just as fucked up. "You though, Druella Malfoy, are the most fascinating, beautiful creature I've ever met. Elegant and refined, yet at the same time down to earth enough to enjoy the purest creatures in all of existence. Much to my surprise you have a delightful sense of humor. You're a dreamer. I- I fucking look at you and I'm at a loss for words; I'm speechless, breathless, and my heart does something fucking weird."

The dance carried on and Hunter hadn't broken his gaze down at her for a millisecond. If this was the last time they spoke then, fine. It'd kill him but Merlin dammit, he was getting it all out right here and now. A grin spread on his face, his hand giving hers a sweet squeeze before giving her a spin. "You're a bright light in this dim world and this world you've dedicated yourself to is snuffing out that beautiful radiance. I don't have all the answers, all I know is I would do everything in my power to cherish and to spend every single second of every single day to make you believe your worth. You're not a curse Dru. You're a gift. And if I have to play second fiddle and watch you marry that tool and be nothing but your best friend then, fine. I'll do that. I'll do whatever makes you happy. But I-" For a moment he bit his lip, his eyes softening as he searched hers. "I don't want to lose you. So please don't push me away."

Druella “Dru” Malfoy

There was no end to the string of thoughts that were flying through her head as Dru stood in the center of that dance floor. Her eyes were pinned to where Larkyn had moved, his hands touching Sapphira, the way they looked at each other. Why did it all hurt so badly? Why was their friendship so confusing and tangled? She wasn’t ignorant to the fact that their situation was unique but it still felt more complicated than it needed to be. Had they made it that way? Had they placed all these things in motion to protect everyone when in reality it was far simpler from the start? How badly did they fuck everything up? How badly would this aff-

Her thoughts were cut short when her line of sight was blocked by a wide chest. Dru didn’t need to look up to know it was Hunter, she could smell him.. that wonderful scent that made her heart race. Dru stayed still as he took her into a waltzing stance, her eyes training at the top button of his shirt instead of his face no matter how badly she wanted to look up at him. After this morning, after what she said to him… all the things she both meant and didn’t at the same time… she couldn’t understand why he still came to her aid. It made her throat tense, her chest squeeze… this fucking man.

They began to dance and it was Hunter who spoke first, his words causing her eyes to betray her and snap to his incredibly handsome face. What did he mean by that, that he was a curse that would hurt his family? What did he mean by all of that? His family were blood traitors, at least if you listened to the members of a lot of the pure blood elite, but to the rest of the wizarding world they were hero. The Weasleys were one of the only pure blood families to stand against the Dark Lord. They were big players in the first war. Even Dru knew that, though she also couldn’t say he was wrong… her own family had hated them. So much so that Dru too had a disdain for him back in school, because it was so engrained in her that the Weasleys were bad people.

How wrong she had been. How wrong everyone had been.

“Hunter, what do-“ Dru wanted to ask him what he meant, her heart was hurting to hear he thought he carried some curse but she couldn’t speak. Hunter was still going. Saying words that made her heart feel like it was going to explode from her chest, like it was going to end up killing her from how much it swelled and hastened. When he had started their dance, Dru had felt a twinge of concern over their surroundings, concern as to who would see them together like this and start whispers. Concern that her brother would say something to their father. But now the entire room disappeared, it was only them… it was only him. She was a light? She was radiant? He cherished her? They were all compliments that sent her head spinning, things she had never heard from anyone before, things that she didn’t even think about herself. But looking up at Hunter with his proud smile, she knew he wasn’t lying or exaggerating. Hunter meant every word he was saying and Dru felt something in her chest snap into place, the final piece of her shattered heart pulling itself together with his help.

It took Hunter moments to bring her back from the ledge she had been teetering on, one she had been toeing for years. Larkyn was right, nothing was worth giving this up. Dru was a fighter and dammit she would figure out a way to have it all. If anyone could it was her.

“I don’t want that.” Dru spoke softly, her hand in his adjusting so their fingers laced together. “I don’t want you to play second fiddle, I don’t want you to only be my friend. I want more, I want you.” It felt like fire was taking over her body as her confidence grew, the once icy woman gaining a new form of steel, one that was white hot and burning. “I want you, I want to work for the department I want in the Minsitry, I want my father to get his claws out of my life and I want to save my brother from the same control I was under for my whole life.” She paused, her eyes searching his for a long moment, the tiniest smile gracing her lips. “And I’ll have it. You have shown me more joy in a few months than I ever thought was possible for me. I thought I had to endure for everyone else’s sake, I thought I had to take it so that I could break a cycle.”

Dru moved a fraction of an inch closer, their bodies touching as they spun. The song had changed at this point but they didn’t even pause. Honestly she had barely even noticed. “Hunter you are the most aggravating, smart ass, cocky man I have ever met. And I absolutely adore every bit of it. You have such a beautiful soul, quick wit and I don’t want to boost your inflated ego more but you are insanely gorgeous. I do not know what cruel god thought making me fall in love with you would be fun, but I’m so happy they did.”

“I don’t know where to go from here, Larkyn-“ The name caused her voice to catch and the world around her to become real again. Larkyn. Even if Dru was ready to make changes, to agree with him and move forward and create a different path. She was still hurt by him, he had still betrayed her. He had still thought so lowly of her that he went behind her back and tossed her aside like trash. “I have told you so many times I am not in love with him. He is my closest friend, family even more than my blood relatives. He- he slept with Sapphira. I caught them this morning. I have to assume it’s been going on a while. Obviously we’re no longer going through with this engagement but- I don’t want to lose him as a friend. Even if apparently he doesn’t care to keep me around.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back