• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
1594786063185.png
By the time you make it back downstairs with your four remaining men, the Lord of Cotarhill has been taken into custody and hauled off to the gaols by Barnaby's men. Black blood is seen dripping from a section of the ceiling floorboards, creating a pool on the stone floor of the great hall, and several bodies are being dragged outside for burial.

Barnaby has remained behind in the great hall, where he has regrouped with the serjeant-of-the-guard and seven other footmen. Most of the other servants seem to be engaged in cleaning up the mess and disposing of the bodies, though a few seem to be tending to some comrades' wounds.

"Lord Artos," Barnaby greets, a glazed look in his eyes. "As the castellan of Cotarhill, I would like to thank you for your help in restoring order to our Lordship."

Upon descending the stairs, Artos was surprised to find that the situation between the brothers was resolved, with Cornick being imprisoned. He had expected to find them still staring each other down, or even to find that Cornick had attempted something foolish. Artos was glad that he wouldn't have to be dealing with any other troublesome matters for the night, at least he hoped. It had been one really really long day, after all.

He scanned the hall until he found Barnaby and then proceeded to saunter his way over.

"Lord Artos," Barnaby greets, a glazed look in his eyes. "As the castellan of Cotarhill, I would like to thank you for your help in restoring order to our Lordship."

"Of course, Barnaby- and you may as well fancy yourself Lord of Cotarhill,"
Artos begins, "I highly doubt Cornick will ever reestablish himself enough to rule again after tonight's events." Artos glances towards the servants that are dragging the bodies. "If it were I, I would burn the fallen. Just to be safe," he states gravely, "but that decision is up to you."

Artos considers his next words carefully. "I still hold title of Lord Protector, but I won't wedge myself between you and your people. These lands should be healed by a Hycott, not an outsider. You should be the one to receive the praise in the hard days to come, for it will be you that is going to get his people through those days." Feeling that he is being too unselfish, he adds another comment. "But that doesn't mean I would mind having a verse or two in the songs that will be sung," he chuckles, easing the mood and hinting that he wants people to know of his deeds.

And now, after sweetening the tension a little, he moves on to a more complex topic... his reward. "You must know that I did not risk the lives of my men, along with my own life, to leave empty handed?" he mentions, questioningly. "It is not material gain that I ask, it is assurance. With the gloominess of the horizon, it would be better for our lordships to be in cooperation. It is a pact that I want to forge, Barnaby. I need your word that you will come when I call upon you, along with the might of House Hycott." Well, with however much might they have at the time. "And if you agree to this, be reassured that I will come to your aide again, if the need arise." He examines Barnaby to weigh his reaction.

It is not exactly alliance that Artos wants to form, though that is what he is saying. Rather, he wants to gain the militaristic value of the Hycott landholdings to add to his own. It's a very delicate matter that requires him to be discreet with his choice of wording, but he fully believes that if he can get Barnaby to agree to "owing him a favor" and also to agree to the pact, that Artos will gain a most valuable resource from this day's troubles. It is also evident that Artos could demand whatever he pleases of Barnaby, while holding title of Lord Protector, but he feels that to be unwise and the better option being one where there is mutual acceptance. Playing the wrong cards could result in hostility down the road.

Last edited:
Barnaby seemed to have an air of suspicion by the way he regards you at first... But slowly, as you begin to talk to him, this demeanor becomes chipped away. Overall, he is pleased you did not throw your weight at him using the valorous office of Lord Protector which had been bestowed upon you by your wise liege and master, Lord Tuwold.

"Very well, Lord Artos. However many men you actually provided in our noble scheme today, well, it does not matter... you've proven yourself to be a friend today. So... if I may, I will truly ask for your aid right now. I have not heard back from any of my masterly knights in some time. The outlying villages are no doubt threatened if not in disorder, and the damnable undead ghouls have already been spotted roaming the country unchecked." He suddenly tells you of a military strategy. "I think we need to gather together a force, and patrol around the territory to restore order, then I can probably rendezvous with the rest of my gentry. After that, I will be able to complete a proper survey of my domains' militias, you see."

This is not something that Artos considered, being asked to provide more aid immediately. He's taken off guard from it at first, but holds a firm grip on the wall of confidence. Outwardly, he just listens intently to Barnaby's concerns. Inwardly, he's fuming.

Barnaby, you bastard, can't even take care of your own problems after being practically GIFTED the office of lordship. Say I do come and help clear the undead from your domain, how long will it take until you ask something else of me? Tch, you're supposed to do something for me now.

Artos nods understandingly when Barnaby finishes. "I see," he starts, "I suppose this was only the beginning. It is true that there is much more land needing liberation... as your domain wouldn't be very operable if you have ONLY the castle."

Artos scratches the back of his neck. "You must give me some time- only a handful of days, more than like- so that I may return home and gather a company capable of performing this duty."

This much trouble is going to cost you later, Barnaby. Maybe you realize it, maybe you don't, but after this, you will REALLY owe me.

"In the meantime, I ask that you do not remain idle as your brother had. I'm sure there are other objectives you can accomplish while you await my return."

Barnaby crosses his arms and nods, seeming satisfied with these terms. "Well, of course... I was thinking that, with the lads I have right now... I shall be able to retake, or ideally simply visit Chastings and Lushwick and be unmolested by the beasts. Of course, if things are as bad as I think they are, having more men would be indispensable... Anyway, Lord Artos, are you planning on staying the night in our castle, or are you going to ride back to your own? You and your horses can have something to eat, or you may simply rest for a few moments if you need. My men will handle burying the dead... according to our customs."

One of your soldiers steps forward, and puts his heels together. "M'lord, Horace is still lying slain upstairs, can we go bring him back down here?"

Artos does not like the final comment made by Barnaby, as he had suggested to burn the dead earlier. He shrugs it off. He agreed to not interfere in the personal affairs of the lordship, to not flaunt the authority of Lord Protector.

"I think, with the fatigue my men and I have sustained throughout this day and night, it would be wise to rest before we sally back. Additionally, the darkness could shroud those ghoulish beasts. We will depart at first light."

Artos turns to his man, who has reminded him of their fallen. "Yes, retrieve him, but be wary as you do. One of you should have your sword drawn. We do not know the conditions of this devilish curse." The warning is stressed. It would be a tragedy if their slain compatriot reanimated to bring more of them down with him.

He returns his attention to Barnaby. "While it is on my mind, the Baron asked me to inquire about a... certain flock of sheep. I just wanted to forewarn you, in the case that he continues to feel slighted."

Barnaby nods. "Very well. There is a spare bedroom in the castle for you. As for your men, Lord Artos... I'm assuming they aren't your cousins or some such, so I will make sure they are given beds in the servants' quarters... after this slaughter, there should be more room," he laments. Many of the castle staff were killed tonight, after all.

Your retainers heed your advice, and two of them advance up the steps to recover servant Horace's body, both of them keeping their swords drawn for now.

"Flock of sheep?" Barnaby furrows his brow. "Oh, that matter." He waves his hand. "I'll see what I can do, Lord Artos. Now... it's starting to get rather dark..." A servant passes you both candles, and Barnaby leads you to the spare bedroom. It was thankfully more or less untouched during the ghoul purge. "Make yourself at home here," the castellan tells you, before bidding you goodnight.

1596092840330.png

Your men later report back that they have received their accommodations.

Once he has been left alone, Artos takes the time to become familiar with the room, stepping around and observing. Being aware of his surroundings, especially after tonight's events, is prioritized. Even more so since he is about to sleep in the very castle that was recently packed with ghouls. He makes sure that he knows any and all openings, such as doors and windows, should he have to use that knowledge in haste.

Midway through his inspection, his men report to him. He acknowledges their news and reminds them to rouse as soon as the sun kisses the earth. Once they have left, he resumes his survey. He latches the door if it has one.

Satisfied with his observation, he makes himself comfortable, and climbs into the bed. He takes his sheath from his belt and tucks it under the quilt beside him so that he may have easy access to it in an emergency. Besides, you know what they say, a knight is married to his blade.

If there is nothing out of the ordinary, Artos soon falls into slumber.

Last edited:
There are some strange dreams, but thankfully they evaporate quickly from your mind shortly after you arise from your slumber. It is not long before an incident report is relayed to you.

One of your men from last night knocks on your door and reports that he and the others were, earlier this morning, and while it was still dark out, being agitated by a 'knave' that was taking shelter in the castle from the countryside's roaming undead. Apparently, the man was behaving insolently and attempted to take a dagger from the corpse of your fallen retainer after he had been laid outside alone. When the thief was spotted by your men, he was then sorely beaten and killed with several pommel strikes. The local guards identified the man as a landless peasant who had caused trouble before, and dumped his body outside the castle wall.

The man in the gray robe appears in the doorway as well- the scribely official. "Greetings... Lord Artos." He pauses briefly. "We understand the conduct of your men, so we decided it wasn't a rousing disturbance." He offers over a small bag of coins. "We would like to make a donation to the widow of your man that you lost tonight."

The scribe seems to be about finished speaking. "You and your servants are free to break your nightly fast before your departure." He mentions that the blood was cleaned up in the little Hycott great hall.

Last edited:
Artos rises with the remnants of a sweat caused by dreams immediately forgotten. He figures they must have been associated with the horrors of the prior night and proceeds to carry out his morning stretches and routine. Soon, he receives word from one of his men and listens carefully to the report.

"You were right to dispose of that filth," Artos reassures his retainer. "Disturbing one of our fallen comrades comes with such a consequence."

Before their conversation has time to conclude, the castle's scribe appears. Artos nods with an indication of firm agreement in response to the scribe's comments of the incident. As for the "widow's purse", Artos smiles at the generosity.

"How thoughtful of you and Lord Barnaby. I will ensure that these coins find their way to his loved ones."

Artos considers the offer to a sit-down meal in the hall, but would rather not waste time when matters of importance and the need for decisions float about. The sooner he gets back to Terryn Castle, the better. "I appreciate the offer, but I will not delay my departure any longer. If it would be no trouble, could your servants accommodate my men and I with provisions for the road?"

"Of course, your lordship. May I introduce myself? I am Greswon, loyal clerk of Sir Barnaby." The Hycott scribe then orders the household staff to bring you and your merry men some foodstuffs in bags to take along with them. Your men are given some brown barley bread, while yours is white and of wheat. and some cheese. To drink, your party receives some goatskin canteens containing wine.

It looks like your horses were provided with hay and water during their stay at the stables. Some of the grooms the Hycott family have already resaddled them for you, so you are able to depart quickly.

You manage to ride back to your domain without much incident. During your travels, you saw more commonfolk working in the fields on the spring harvest.

One of your footmen appears in the castle courtyard and hands you a message, saying that it was previously dropped off at the castle by a runner from Lord Edwin Harwood.

1602653514982.png

Upon entering the castle courtyard, Artos immediately dismounts his horse and leaves it for one of the stable-hands to take care of. He marches towards the keep with the weight of crucial matters pressing down on his shoulders, but is intercepted by one of his footmen. Artos doesn't say a word and snatches the document to swiftly scan it. It appears the document was of more importance than he initially thought... definitely not a petty dispute or some request from one of his knights, but rather a call-to-action by neighboring Lord Edwin Harwood. He takes a moment to digest the contents of the message before nodding to his footman and continuing his march to the keep.

Upon entering the keep, he identifies the nearest servant and calls out to them.

"Gather my council, there are urgent decisions to be made. Tell them to prepare me a report concerning their responsibilities while I was away. I will be waiting at one of these tables. Hurry along, now."

After your council is summoned, some reports and returns are made by your advisors.

Your men stationed at the Norwood freehold paid a copper to a runner that hailed Captain Garrens. Apparently, any manner of beast that perishes seems to be afflicted with the condition of undeath. A few locals were also blaming fae-worshipers for the plague.

The messenger to Harhold had come back earlier today, and said that he was received by Master Janess, a noble who had custodianship of the castle while Lord Edwin was travelling. They mentioned that the undead curse has apparently spread to there, as they have noticed ghoulified animals.

The messenger dispatched to Gremotte also returned to say that the Strongwoods have themselves reported similar findings of this curse.

Your messengers have returned from your villages. Most people in the domains of your lordship are now aware of the vile magical situation, if they have not yet witnessed it themselves. Your knightly vassals have already started organizing some local militia from their tenants to patrol around for any disturbances.

After acknowledging the reports, Artos moves on to the matters that influenced him to conduct this meeting. He roughly summarizes the prior day's events, focusing heavily on the details at Cotarhill.

"The situation at that castle was... ghastly. Together with Barnaby's forces, we were able to liberate the castle of the undead... and Cornick's stubbornness. Cornick no longer rules. The seat is now occupied by his brother, Barnaby, the castellan. Unfortunately, in the chaos, one of my retainers gave his life for the mission."

Artos tosses the pouch of coins towards Captain Garrens.

"A gift for the man's spouse, courtesy of House Hycott."

Artos briefly goes over his discussion with Barnaby after the event and the "word" that he gave to assist with perishing the undead from the Hycott villages.

"I plan to uphold my word, and then use the debt..." Artos starts, before catching himself and deciding to use a different word in the place of "debt", "FRIENDSHIP... to help with our cause."

He places the Harwood letter on the table.

"From our riders' reports and this letter, it appears that the entirety of the realm suffers from this curse. We must call the banners and assemble an army. We will liberate our lands and the Hycott lands of any herds or hordes before making considerations to unite with Harwood's company. I feel there is much to gain on the dark horizon, for many houses may crumble. We will ensure the survival and rise of House Terryn by taking action."

He opens the floor for discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back