Looking for Looking for Hobby Ideas!

Jitterbug

The Jolliest
Hey everyone! Thanks for clicking!

As some of you know, I am currently living in a facility for hands-on care during chemotherapy. I'm very weak, mostly in a wheelchair when I move around, and spend waaaay too much time on the computer!

So, I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas for what I can do sitting (in bed or at a desk) that doesn't involve a screen. I have mine listed below, so if you have any to add, just leave a comment and I'll greatly appreciate it! :)

Also, my budget for hobbies is about $100/month thanks to a pretty awesome brother, so I'd like you folks to keep that in mind.

-Reading (Duh)
-Drawing/Painting/Artsy stuff when I can
-Miniature models (Working on a Darth Vader, will update when he's finished lol)
-Origami
-Embroidery, or sewing when my hands aren't too shaky

1561575551945.png

I've always wanted to build one of these. Not sure what it would be like with shaky hands though, but maybe on good days it would be ok.

P.S. best wishes

View attachment 594482

I've always wanted to build one of these. Not sure what it would be like with shaky hands though, but maybe on good days it would be ok.
Ooh, that looks really interesting! Thank you for the suggestion, I'll add it to my list! It'll be great to watch the nurse walk into one sick lady and *thunk* and her weird-ass engine on the table

Building lego stuff could be pretty cool! I used to do it when I was a kid. Also, building these things - there's plenty of different kinds, so it's easy to find a model that suits your fancy (if this isn't the thing you meant by miniature models, lol)!

Building lego stuff could be pretty cool! I used to do it when I was a kid. Also, building these things - there's plenty of different kinds, so it's easy to find a model that suits your fancy (if this isn't the thing you meant by miniature models, lol)!
View attachment 594501
Ooh, that one looks fancy!! And I didn't even think of legos, those would be great and you can get lots for cheap at second-hand shops! Thank you so much, what great ideas! I wonder if I can find that exact model, i'd love to paint the horses as well... Great practice to get back into fine details!

Uhhhhhh...

Maybe some small, simple clay things? I don't really work with clay so I don't know how well it would work in your situation, but my friend likes sculpting small things with clay. Of course you'd need to have something to put under the clay while you work so it won't mess up tables or anything... so I dunno.

And this hobby unfortunately does require a computer (unless you wanna get books for it instead), but maybe learning a new language? Who knows if it'd be something you're interested in. Languages and different cultures fascinate me so I like learning about them, but idk.

Do you write? I know you're on an RP site, lol, but do you enjoy writing your own personal fiction? Even if it's a bunch of really short stories, those can be fun to write too.

These ideas probably all suck, sorry

Uhhhhhh...

Maybe some small, simple clay things? I don't really work with clay so I don't know how well it would work in your situation, but my friend likes sculpting small things with clay. Of course you'd need to have something to put under the clay while you work so it won't mess up tables or anything... so I dunno.

And this hobby unfortunately does require a computer (unless you wanna get books for it instead), but maybe learning a new language? Who knows if it'd be something you're interested in. Languages and different cultures fascinate me so I like learning about them, but idk.

Do you write? I know you're on an RP site, lol, but do you enjoy writing your own personal fiction? Even if it's a bunch of really short stories, those can be fun to write too.

These ideas probably all suck, sorry
Ooh, I never thought of clay! I could make little get-well charms for the other people here too, so it gets to birds with one stone! As for a language, I did enjoy Japanese lessons... I could probably find some pretty great books on that! And as for writing, I do, and maybe your response is a sign that I should pick up my old novel again and continue to write on it. What great suggestions, thank you so much!!

Ooh, I never thought of clay! I could make little get-well charms for the other people here too, so it gets to birds with one stone! As for a language, I did enjoy Japanese lessons... I could probably find some pretty great books on that! And as for writing, I do, and maybe your response is a sign that I should pick up my old novel again and continue to write on it. What great suggestions, thank you so much!!
Glad to be able to help in some way! It's a cute idea to make "get well" charms for people c:
Japanese is fascinating. I'm trying to learn it right now. It's a confusing mess, but also interesting haha
Best of luck!

Hmm...I'd love to suggest simple soap-cutting/making if you could have anyone assist you! Normally it's a pretty stationary activity, but it does involve warming up basic glycerin bases in a microwave and it can get hot quickly. I normally love soap making and cutting, because the blocks are very soft and you don't need a huge sharp knife to cut through it. (A butter knife literally works most of the time.) Then you can just pour any of it into a mold with dye, let it dry, take it out and cut it up again to make little patterns in another soap. I'd definitely recommend it at a desk through, with probably someone to just help carrying/pouring the soap so you don't spill any of it. (I normally have to stand up to pour it right but everyone is different!)

(Hopefully this isn't a complete dud! It's a pretty cheap hobby once you get a big thing of clear soap and dyes.)

Hmm...I'd love to suggest simple soap-cutting/making if you could have anyone assist you! Normally it's a pretty stationary activity, but it does involve warming up basic glycerin bases in a microwave and it can get hot quickly. I normally love soap making and cutting, because the blocks are very soft and you don't need a huge sharp knife to cut through it. (A butter knife literally works most of the time.) Then you can just pour any of it into a mold with dye, let it dry, take it out and cut it up again to make little patterns in another soap. I'd definitely recommend it at a desk through, with probably someone to just help carrying/pouring the soap so you don't spill any of it. (I normally have to stand up to pour it right but everyone is different!)

(Hopefully this isn't a complete dud! It's a pretty cheap hobby once you get a big thing of clear soap and dyes.)
Ooh, this doesn't sound half bad at all! I love soap videos, so I suppose it would be worth giving it a shot! Hmm, maybe once I'm a little closer to recovery though since it involves melted soaps and whatnot. I really like the idea though, so thank you for this!! Maybe it's something my brother and I can do when he visits! :)

Around Christmas time, something that took up a few hours in every day.... I'd make themed decorations for my room. I put stuff in the windows, hung things from the ceiling (even though it wasn't allowed), taped things to the walls.... I made things that made me smile every time I looked at them. :)

Around Christmas time, something that took up a few hours in every day.... I'd make themed decorations for my room. I put stuff in the windows, hung things from the ceiling (even though it wasn't allowed), taped things to the walls.... I made things that made me smile every time I looked at them. :)
that's awesome! I made a bunch of decorations for Halloween since it's my favorite. <3 It was fun.

One hobby I'm about to pick up is watercolor. I'm a little intimidated to just go at it on my own, so I found a watercolor coloring book on Amazon that was about $20, and a paint kit that came with brushes that was another $13 or $14, I think. If budget is an issue, a palette could wait until later and you could use a dinner plate to dab your paint/water onto. If you've got a few more bucks to spare, I saw plastic palettes for about $5, and then you're set. I've watched a few youtube tutorials on it, which make it look way simpler than I'm sure it is 😅 Either way, it looks rather relaxing.

One hobby I'm about to pick up is watercolor. I'm a little intimidated to just go at it on my own, so I found a watercolor coloring book on Amazon that was about $20, and a paint kit that came with brushes that was another $13 or $14, I think. If budget is an issue, a palette could wait until later and you could use a dinner plate to dab your paint/water onto. If you've got a few more bucks to spare, I saw plastic palettes for about $5, and then you're set. I've watched a few youtube tutorials on it, which make it look way simpler than I'm sure it is 😅 Either way, it looks rather relaxing.
Ahh! This sounds great! I have some watercolors but I've been so shaky that paintbrushes on blank papers is hell. Patterns and following videos is a great idea! Thank you so much!

First off I wish you well and I'll keep you and your family in my prayers ( its something I do for everyone going through a tough time.) As for something you can do while sitting that doesn't involve a screen I really enjoy both knitting and crocheting. It's not too expensive and once you have either the knitting needles or crochet hook you get to keep using them/it and just need to buy more yarn. The needles can cost anywhere between $3.00-$15.00 depending on what they are made out of and what kind you get, crochet hooks run about $3.00-$10.00 again depending on what you get. Yarn you can get for $3.00 and sometimes below there is better quality yarn and you know the fancy stuff but I like the Caron Simply Soft Yarn its fairly cheap ($4.00) I believe you can find it cheaper online. I prefer bamboo knitting needles they are a bit more spendy($10.00) but I find the tapping of the wood to be soothing and you can find pretty good deals online. There are some places that sell lots with everything you need to learn with a book with five or so different projects for beginners for like $15.00 and then you just need to get some yarn. Hope that gives something to look into!

First off I wish you well and I'll keep you and your family in my prayers ( its something I do for everyone going through a tough time.) As for something you can do while sitting that doesn't involve a screen I really enjoy both knitting and crocheting. It's not too expensive and once you have either the knitting needles or crochet hook you get to keep using them/it and just need to buy more yarn. The needles can cost anywhere between $3.00-$15.00 depending on what they are made out of and what kind you get, crochet hooks run about $3.00-$10.00 again depending on what you get. Yarn you can get for $3.00 and sometimes below there is better quality yarn and you know the fancy stuff but I like the Caron Simply Soft Yarn its fairly cheap ($4.00) I believe you can find it cheaper online. I prefer bamboo knitting needles they are a bit more spendy($10.00) but I find the tapping of the wood to be soothing and you can find pretty good deals online. There are some places that sell lots with everything you need to learn with a book with five or so different projects for beginners for like $15.00 and then you just need to get some yarn. Hope that gives something to look into!
Ooh, and i bet using larger hooks or needles would make it easier with shaking hands! And if all else fails, there's always arm knitting, right? I could make loads of arm-knit blankets for other patients as a show of friendship, lots of them would love that. Thank you so much for this idea, I love it!

Ooh, and i bet using larger hooks or needles would make it easier with shaking hands! And if all else fails, there's always arm knitting, right? I could make loads of arm-knit blankets for other patients as a show of friendship, lots of them would love that. Thank you so much for this idea, I love it!
Yes indeed there is arm knitting I've personally never done it but a friend of mine really enjoys it! Happy that it was something that you enjoyed! Take care!

soap making is a good idea, as was mentioned - you can also make body butters and lotions. also silicone molds are the best for soaps if you're looking to conserve energy. you won't have to cut them, and it's so satisfying to pop them out of the molds! plus all the neat shapes and designs.

making terrariums might be fun, you may not be able to use real plants, depending on where you are, but you can always use fake plants and little decorations.

painting figurines or building miniature houses might be fun as well.

I don't know what you think about music, but you can buy a ukulele for like 30 dollars and it'll be of moderate quality. Learning basic chords and plucking strings to play songs is a lot of fun and doesn't involve a screen. It also is quite time consuming, as practicing everyday for moderate amounts of time is essential for getting better. Helped me stay away from my phone more and although I don't do it much anymore, it was well worth the 30 dollars.

I don't know what you think about music, but you can buy a ukulele for like 30 dollars and it'll be of moderate quality. Learning basic chords and plucking strings to play songs is a lot of fun and doesn't involve a screen. It also is quite time consuming, as practicing everyday for moderate amounts of time is essential for getting better. Helped me stay away from my phone more and although I don't do it much anymore, it was well worth the 30 dollars.
This is a fantastic idea! I have a guitar and play regularly, but I never thought about expanding my skill set! Thank you so much, I'll look into this immediately!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back