Looking for help with abilities!

Idea

The Pun Tyrant
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Hey everyone!

So, I am in the process of working in a new MMO -set RP.

However, although I already have a lot ready , I am having trouble dealing withe the massive amount of abilities I'll need- about 945.

as such, any help I could get would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your attention.

With that number of abilities, you're far better off providing some guidelines and a couple of examples, and then letting players make them up.

Anomaly said:
With that number of abilities, you're far better off providing some guidelines and a couple of examples, and then letting players make them up.
That is a very good suggestion, thank you. I will not use it however, since the reason why there are so many was that I wanted to provide that MMO feel (which includes having a set number of choices), while still providing lots of player freedom. To give them the choice to make it up would not only remove the limited choice part, but also quite likely ruin any balance I would seek to estabilish: everyone wants to win.

Maybe an addition to this as @Anomoly said come up with different levels of power. Example: simple, median, and advanced and have each power level cost a set number of "power" points.

Ex. Simple 2 points, Median 3 points, Advanced 5 points.

And then everyone is given a max number of points to use. ex. 6 power points.

So in that case players would have to choose where they would spend their power points themselves.

Not only that but make them list three weaknesses for each character. For advanced powers have them write an excerpt of their character actually using the ability in combat.

readingraebow said:
Maybe an addition to this as @Anomoly said come up with different levels of power. Example: simple, median, and advanced and have each power level cost a set number of "power" points.
Ex. Simple 2 points, Median 3 points, Advanced 5 points.

And then everyone is given a max number of points to use. ex. 6 power points.

So in that case players would have to choose where they would spend their power points themselves.

Not only that but make them list three weaknesses for each character. For advanced powers have them write an excerpt of their character actually using the ability in combat.
again, a very good suggestion that I´m afraid I´ll have to reject. The point system has two major flaws:

1.These things aren´t that simple to quantify

2.It would ruin the class system.

Very well if you want to list the powers yourself I suggest using this Superpower Wiki.

Just about every kind of super power you can think of is on here, they even divide them up into categories under powers

Last edited by a moderator:
readingraebow said:
Very well if you want to list the powers yourself I suggest using this Superpower Wiki.
Just about every kind of super power you can think of is on here, they even divide them up into categories under powers
thanks. I don`t think this can solve the whole problem, but it sure will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many individual classes are there? How many sub-classes of those classes? Start by breaking down the classes into bite-sized chunks. The biggest problem I see is balance. Like MMOs, you're probably going to have some powers that are really overpowered and some that will be largely ignored.

Also, make the powers as visually appealing as possible. make them something that can be visualized by the players. Example (from my game):

Spell: Maggots
Range: Touch

Duration: Special

Cost: 25 MP

Save: Magic

Effect: This spell causes the target to erupt with maggots that will burrow out of his flesh, doing d8 damage per level every round he fails his save. Once a saving throw has been made, the maggots are gone. If the target is killed by this spell, then there is nothing left but very clean bones and the target may not be raised from the dead.

I'm more than willing to help come up with some of these, by the way. I love designing games and game systems.

Edrondol said:
How many individual classes are there? How many sub-classes of those classes? Start by breaking down the classes into bite-sized chunks. The biggest problem I see is balance. Like MMOs, you're probably going to have some powers that are really overpowered and some that will be largely ignored.
Also, make the powers as visually appealing as possible. make them something that can be visualized by the players. Example (from my game):
There is a total of forty classes, each divided into one of five functions, one of two spell types, and four magic sources.

Indeed, there likely will be issues with balance. I was planning on making things workable until lvl 15, and make a beta for that.

Edrondol said:
I'm more than willing to help come up with some of these, by the way. I love designing games and game systems.
Your help will be very much appreciated. Send me a PM and I´ll give you a list of the classes.

By the way, my range system will be based on p (amount of people that could line up to reach that range), and time will be dictated by posts (mostly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back