Opinion Living situation

Should I stay with my parents or live with my grandparents? (Read post first)

• Parents

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chocolate-Strawberries

Bewitchingly Sweet ♡
I'm debating staying living with my parents or moving in with my grandparents. I'm a minor, so living on my own sadly isn't an option.

Parents-
Pros-
-
Close to friends
-Get to stay in school
-Not guilty about leaving
-Take care of brother

Cons-
-Parents don't treat me like I have autism, they think I chose to act the way I do
-It's very obvious they prefer their birth child over me
-Dad claims I'm the worst thing that has ever happened to him
-Mother seems to have a lot of anxiety because of me
-Disrespectful of my religious practices

Grandparents-
Pros-

-Grandmother once had a daycare for kids with special needs, is an expert on helping kids with autism
-She also practices the same religion as me
-Get to live in their awesome house
Cons-
-Would have to leave my friends and boyfriend
-Would be homeschooled
-I'll feel bad for leaving my parents
-My brother will have to deal with them

Your life is for you to live, if you feel inadequate at home, and you have the opportunity to leave, then do so. Family is a matter of much controversy, but if you do not feel good in your own home, you will feel worse in your overall life.

Up to you to decide, but the grandparents seem better.

If you endure the varying possible extents of potential suffering and developing additional insecurities due to mistreatment for friends, that is a great commitment but can greatly hamper your life and style at later date. But if you go into a more caring environment, the difficulties have a harder time developing, but you can't see your friends.

Might I recommend an addendum?
Having those you care for more or generally most know how to contact you over the internet. Therefore retaining at least some of them regardless. Some people just break down if they try to keep something and then they might lose it anyway, therefore the internet resolves this in both cases.

I think you should discuss your situation in depth with someone who is trained to advise minors with family/mental health issues. Most places have a free helpline or web chat service, so look up what is available in your country/state.

I don't think people on this forum who are just one step away from random members of the public can really offer reliable advice, particularly as we don't know much about your situation, no matter how well meaning we are.

Good luck in making the right decision.

Crayons has the right idea. You should also (try to) discuss the situation with your parents, grandparents and brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back