• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

OOC Little Talks

Yeah by "cooperation" I meant that I opened up two tickets in Support, one of which is resolved (relocation of Amaranth resources from old RPs into this new place). I thought that would be better than bothering specific people since I don't know which staff members have been assigned to which duties regarding the update (and I'm sure it's chaotic behind the scenes right now). Otherwise I'd have just gone woof-woof-woofing in Wiz's mailbox, like I've been doing for the last.... oh four years or so :D  *woof*

Thanks for the offer, Kaerri. I'll keep it in mind ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah by "cooperation" I meant that I opened up two tickets in Support, one of which is resolved (relocation of Amaranth resources from old RPs into this new place). I thought that would be better than bothering specific people since I don't know which staff members have been assigned to which duties regarding the update (and I'm sure it's chaotic behind the scenes right now). Otherwise I'd have just gone woof-woof-woofing in Wiz's mailbox, like I've been doing for the last.... oh four years or so :D  *woof*

Thanks for the offer, Kaerri. I'll keep it in mind ^^

Yes, we're all doing everything at the moment.  B|

Heya everybody!  =)

It's my understanding that RpN 2.0 has software that will read all this broken text properly; it just hasn't done so yet.  Kaerri mentioned that things that used to be BBcode will resolve themselves soon (TM).  =)

Heya everybody!  =)

It's my understanding that RpN 2.0 has software that will read all this broken text properly; it just hasn't done so yet.  Kaerri mentioned that things that used to be BBcode will resolve themselves soon (TM).  =)

That's good to know, because I'd have a lot of fixing up of what was painstakingly written code to do. I'll hold off until further notice then. The important bits should be readable anyhow. 

In some cases, yes, but just looking at a character sheet right now makes me shudder.  =)

I guess I'll have to do some adjustments anyway. Even though a fair bit of the code seems to have parsed, some parts are still jumbled. And even if they weren't, I think Amaranth has deserved a proper polishing.

I have already set up a fancy new subforum hierarchy (with pictures, w00t!), and the threads are finally where they should be. I'm going to try and pretty things up by merging some info threads together or eliminating them entirely so that Main Storyline doesn't look so cluttered, and something similar with the Archives as well. And I didn't forget about the character sheets either, thank you Dann :)

I'll also be putting up a step-by-step, simplistic guide to the practical use of the W.A.R.S. system, because we've only had a single combat encounter with it so far, and only one player participated, and too much time has passed since. I know none of you would have any idea what to do, because even I have forgotten most of it and I'm the wolf that wrote the damn thing. Sigh.

Feel free to consider the game in progress, by the way! Despite all the above. It shouldn't in any way interfere with any main storyline scene, so let us resume where we left off.

@all

Are you guys using the Dark or Light theme? Do you think maybe I should force one within Amaranth subforums (think I saw this option)? I think we might have a little trouble experiencing the game to the fullest due to color clash issues.

I am personally using RPN Dark, though it's some ways off from what I'd like it to be. Will probably stick to it, if only because the dark is more enjoyable on the canine eyes *woof*

I like Dark best, especially as now updated.  Love the RpN crest floating in the background :)

I'll try to get you a post later today, Wolf.

Thank you @Grey and @Kaerri for the reply. I already know how @Dannigan feels, since he said someplace that he'd been browsing the site using sunglasses up until recently :P . I will assume that @Jack Elarithon agrees as well, though it is already 4 to 1, which means that I will be setting Amaranth's subforums to overwrite user preferences and display RpN Dark at all times.

In accordance, we'll be adjusting everything so that it fits with the image of the dark theme. For the better part, this means using posting colors that work with the dark grey backgrond. Kaerri's dark teal is perfect (though please double-check your header since it seems to be an entirely different font). Dannigan's purple is a little hard but there have been no complaints so it's alright. Jack's grey is fine, if a bit subtle. And Grey has opted not to use a posting color.

I will ask the Staff if we could have some more colors. Some gradients would be nice, if not a whole adjustable palette. I still feel like losing access to HTML is such a negative blow that it overshadows all the good that's come in its place, but it looks like nothing can be done there.

Meanwhile standby for an update soon. I will also be fixing up the sheets and Archives. Hopefully by the end of the week Amaranth will be in top shape once more *woof*

...huh.  It is a different font.  That's odd.  I'd had a different font set in the macro I was using (Quicksand), but I thought I always took it out.  (I left it in the macro in case we wanted to try different fonts; it's such a long list I didn't want to go looking again.)  But that looks more like Times New Roman.  Must be I forgot to take it out of the next-to-last post and the update translated it to something else, since Quicksand's not available now.  I'd copied that one to make my most recent post.  Anyway, long story short, I'll clear the font to match the rest. ^_^

Also, DWiz says there will be more color options in the coding update, whenever that's finished.

Yes, Night Life (Dark) theme is my personal preference and I don't see that changing anytime soon.  

Also, I can dopey concerning computers and websites; I did not know I had to click "Follow" to get alerts here.  I've got it now though.   =)

As for the purple, it looks great on my screen; I just wish it did on yours.  How can I change it to make it better on your eyes?  The old blue I was using got changed to a very dark blue that's too dark for my comfort, hence the purple. 

Hooray for new upcoming colors!  The only thing I really miss from RpN 1.0 is the Preview option.  I have to post and look it over immediately to see if the post came out the way I wanted it to.  

As for the purple, it looks great on my screen; I just wish it did on yours.  How can I change it to make it better on your eyes?  The old blue I was using got changed to a very dark blue that's too dark for my comfort, hence the purple. 

Ach, I see. Well, it might be displaying well enough for everyone else then. Stuff varies from screen to screen. It just looks a little dark against the background, but it's still perfectly readable so don't worry about it *woof*

Once we get more colors, I'll ask everyone to confirm or repick their posting colors. I think that's not anytime soon, though. Someone tossed the term "three months" someplace, I think.

Attention, please.

I'd like to apologize for updating the game so slowly lately. Perhaps you've noticed that my state of low activity coincided with the Make-RPN-Great-Again server update - so you might already have guessed that I have only been lazy on the surface. In fact, I've been working mostly on fixing up the threads and organizing the game forums. This has proved to be a long and difficult task, and has made me pretty much hate almost everything about the said update. At the moment of writing these, I can't even think of any benefits - one single positive thing about it. Is it faster? Ignoring the fact that it put us through days and days of 30 second loading times per page, no, I don't feel like it's any better than before. Did it bring better visuals? Nope, I actually happen to dislike or feel neutral towards all changes to design. Most of my quarrels lie within the dark theme, which is under construction, so alright. But I didn't exactly love the light theme either. I had to reupload and fix all images due to the glitches (all stopped working, rejecting the perfectly valid image links). It took hours even to just reformat the Main Storyline threads, and that's not even half the game. I hate how the new coding works, and I hate the lack of actual coding even more. Only people who couldn't even do could possibly say the new editor is a good thing.

All in all, the site's taken a huge leap downwards for me, and I'm someone who's been around for quite a few leaps in total. As result I am mildly annoyed already from the moment I open it in my browser, so understandably I haven't been as vigorous as I used to be with the updates. One shouldn't have to go through (so many) hours of frustration just to be able to play a forum RP.  I only fixed up one character sheet, the first one, Dann's. I did the best I could considering how right now tabs and accordions and hopelessly broken, and I am completely dissatisfied but I don't think I can make it look any better. Is it ok for you guys? I am going to redo the rest of the threads in the same way.

On top of all that my private life is still in ruins, and every day or night when I get home it takes a shit ton of determination not to lie on the bed with two liters of ice cream and watch episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for two hours, but actually do something useful. I fail about 50% of the time when making the call, which is rather well all things considering. So yes, sorry for the decrease in posting frequency and possibly quality. I'm trying to do the best I can, it's just not working. But I did promise to see the game through, and I keep my promises, so no matter how much I come to dislike this or hate that, I'll find ways to push stuff forward.

Thank you all for continuing to play. If it weren't for you, this would have become a single player experience a long time ago. Please don't hesitate in telling me how you feel about things, because I want to be sure that playing Amaranth is something you really feel like doing and not some kind of habit or something. I will try to whip up a post soon.

Changelog:

- Renamed the old "Background Story and Main Plot" thread into "Recapitulation: The Story So Far". Also rewritten and redesigned all posts therein, so the retelling is concise and better laid out. It has never been easier to go back and remember what the story is about.

- Fixed up the Quests as much as possible, though it still looks completely inferior to what it did before the update.

- Fixed up the Races of Asgard thread, so the images are back and the information slightly altered (really only slightly, here and there)

- Touched up every info thread to some degree at least, mostly reformatting

- Repaired the first intro post of every main chapter thread, so now the image and quote and text look the way they are supposed to.

- Finished with Amaranth forums structure, permissions, and such.

- Started reconstructing the character sheets, beginning with Auri Grashaal.

p.s. I just found the only thing I like about the update. When I accidentally hit backspace out of the editor field, like I do all the time, it prompts me instead of instantly navigating back in my browser like before. Yay.

p.p.s. I forgot to woof, so *woof*

Thanks very much for fixing Auri's character sheet, Wolf!  That was a chore I was expecting to do.  =)

As for RpN 2.0, I'm with you.  I was seriously worried for weeks that the site would not read RpN 1.0 data, forcing games like yours and mine to fix all that we have done since our games came to be...  As for what I like, well, I like how RPs are now more like Hosted Projects, I really like the RpN Night Life scheme (no more sunglasses!  Yay!), I like how the site auto-embeds YouTube videos, I like how fast the site is running (now.  Since the last fix, everything is fast on my end again.  I wish the same for you), and above all, I like where the site seems to be generally going.  

However, one doesn't have to be code-savvy to see where your issues with RpN 2.0 lie and I thank you for staying instead of throwing up your hands and walking away (as some users have done).  You're doing more than keeping your word concerning Amaranth - you're staying in my game, and keeping yourself on a website that's been driving most of us wacky since the switch, all the while making all the improvements you can.  That's very cool of you, Wolf.  =)

On a side note, I found a very, very important something on an NPR.org article that should be shared with players everywhere, especially those here in Wolf's wonderful game!  Why you ask (even if you didn't)?!  

Because...

...I have finally found out the real reason we should keep Amaranth out of The Sorceress's hands!!  This article explains it all!!  Read this now!

The Solution Revolution of Asgard is at hand!  The core of The Sorceress's evil plan is here for all to see!  It is there in the amaranth!  The truth is - The Sorceress is out to keep all that delicious, nutritious, grainy-goodness to herself!  We have to stop her!

And I have just the right people to help make it happen, too!  The Hobbits of Middle-earth!  They are pro-good-food!  They are fearless when it comes to protecting the rights of snack-lovers everywhere!  We need to bring Hobbits into this game by the thousands to unite against the evil, greedy, calorie-consuming selfishness that is The Sorceress!  She is the wife of Sauron, I tell you, for wanting all that beautiful amaranth for herself!  She is--

*someone whispers in my ear*

Oh...  That's not the amaranth here in Wolf's game?   But a different amaranth?  Hmm....  Um...

Nevermind...  Return to your normal duties!

(Ha ha ha!  =)  )

Yes, it indeed is a different Amaranth... But it's good to know that, if it wasn't, you'd have your best people on the task of stopping Ilhirel's crooked plans and restoring Asgard's great agricultural wealth :D

My best people?  Absolutely!!  =)

lord-of-the-rings-hobbits-applaud_4.gif

(Image credit:  www.gifbooster.com )

Player Character sheets have been restored! As best as possible under the current circumstances... Expect a final beautification once the big coding update is come *woof*

NPC threads will be updated over time, without special announcements. They're mostly (tho not entirely) for my reference anyway, so not top priority right now.

As much as I'd like to post IC now, it's getting late and I have to get up early, and honestly tomorrow I really need to focus on something else entirely, but I'll do my best to dish out updates for all on Friday *rawrrr*

Posted! I tried to make up for the long waiting, too. Also repeated the post for @Grey since he hasn't replied yet, to give him a friendlier version *woof*

Hey, Wolf?  I remember you saying something about the purple I chose for Auri, so I left Auri's words in white so as to be easier on your eyes.  =)

Is the purple difficult for you to read?  I don't mind posting in white at all.  Whatever the case, I hope it isn't as bad as the RpN 2.0 dark blue that replaced the blue I originally had for Auri; I cannot read Auri's old posts without highlighting the text.  

I said that purple was fine since no one complained and it might just be my monitor brightness/contrast. I can adjust the settings, or just leave it since it is readable and that's what matters at the end of the road. Do use the purple, or alternatively now that HTML is here I guess we can deepen our color range? Haven't had time to experiment yet *woof*

That said I will be gone until the end of the week. Going off the grid with my brother for some horse riding up in the mountains followed by a couple of days by the seaside! *howl*

p.s. hope dem horsies can handle a wolf

Have fun with the horsies!

I want to learn how to put custom colors in again, but haven't had time. Maybe over the weekend! (Fortunately Maggie's teal looks nice on both. I lucked out!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back