• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Light or Dark Default?

Do you want to make the default style, Light or Dark? (Please read post).

• Light

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dark

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey All,

So this is a suggestion I've been getting since yesterday when I released the updated version of the nightlife with the crest in the background and the ability to change it to another image thus altering the colors as well. While not one hundred percent as we continue to work on the image selections among other things for it, I've been asked as to why we don't make this the new default theme.

Instead of switching to the dark style manually, you'd switch into the light one if we made this one the default. Of course this vote won't control what happens but it will help us gauge interest.

Again, this won't remove any of them from the site, this is just to see what users think should be the DEFAULT one.

Light, simply because I feel the colors of the darker skin need to be worked on. For example, looking at Sunkissed's post above me, the color for Moderators is too dark and is difficult to read. 

Light, simply because I feel the colors of the darker skin need to be worked on. For example, looking at Sunkissed's post above me, the color for Moderators is too dark and is difficult to read. 

Even if we did swap them, it wouldn't be immediate. Stuff still has to be worked out like that. Though, we do want to see if people want us to stay light or dark default. 

Also, side question if anyone knows an answer to this. I personally use the Color Me theme, but it constantly reverts itself to the 'default' colors of the customizable portions. Is there a way to lock in to the colors/patterns that I want?

Also, side question if anyone knows an answer to this. I personally use the Color Me theme, but it constantly reverts itself to the 'default' colors of the customizable portions. Is there a way to lock in to the colors/patterns that I want?

It only does that if you are clearing your browser's cookie/cache. It uses your browser's cookies to store your preferences.

I rarely clear my cache. But I also switch between PC and Mobile frequently, so I'm not sure if that has any impact. 

The thing is, the light theme has a more friendly feel to it, and that's exactly what you want for the default, because it's what new users see when they first join. If you stay for a bit then you're free to change to dark, practically no hassle.

This actually happens to me almost every time I open a new tab with the Color Me theme

In my opinion, the Night Life is too "grimdark" to be default, it doesn't seem as welcoming to new arrivals, where as the current blue default has always seemed more open and inviting. My personal preference is towards the Blue, so I'm throwing a vote to keep it the way it has been, if only because I'm a crotchety old dude who doesn't like change XD. *Grumbles about 'kids these days'*

I personally like the dark theme for myself, but still believe that the light theme should continue to be the default.

Despite my personal liking to the dark theme, I agree with @The J on the point that the light theme seems more open and friendly, and honestly as an initial theme, as the first thing someone might see of the site, is generally more welcoming. I also feel like most users of the site would appreciate the light theme more in general (obviously that would mean I have the unpopular opinion on that, but I'm willing at admit it). It would just promote a happier and more welcoming feel to the site, which is exactly what you would want if you still want to promote site growth and user registration as much as possible.

Imma go with dark, as it's easier on the eyes, but as long as it's not going to get taken away, then go for whatever people like.
This dark theme is great, by the way; the slight opacity of text boxes stops that terrible vibration between pure black and light grey ~

While the light theme does appear a bit more friendly and inviting, the dark theme feels more organized and cleaner. (unless the light theme was changed up a bit since I last saw it) And it's far less blinding, lol. There was just too much white space in light mode and it felt so empty.

I also support the light theme being the default, with the exact same argument @The J presented. I mean, I like all of them, but the light one should definitely be the default. 

I'd say light because it's always better to give the users the default experience that the owners originally envisioned for the website. And if they feel like having something different, they can switch to the Dark theme or a custom one.

I do like the dark theme, but I do not personally think it should be the default them until and/or unless the background pictures can be made to convey more of what the site is about or until it can be made to be plain. Currently all the background pictures possible make it seem like the site is all about video games and I honestly do not feel that is a good representation of the site. I think we should focus on conveying what the site is about and I think the light theme does that more effectively at this point in time. 

@Bumblebri

Yes. I believe it is the switching from Mobile to PC that causes it as well. It used to switch back randomly, but the recent update fixed that. I have a feeling if you set both the colors on your mobile and PC to the same ones, that may be enough to keep it.

The Dark theme should be set as default only because the Light theme looks so odd. It looks a little disorganized in my opinion, and having something dark, but nicer looking, is better for the presentation of the site. If it was a choice, I'd vote for Color Me as the default, with more colors and patterns to choose from.

Light is better than dark, but the Dark Theme is currently better looking than the Light one.

I mean, this topic doesn't really affect what "stays" and "perma leaves" but what's going to pull users in to join and all that jazz (advertising, bby~). Anywho, in terms of friendliness and intimidation, the lighter color pallet is nice. However, there's some issues in terms of overall look to the original default such as the "lack luster" appearance and overall quality of it. It's kinda bland. With Night Life, there's some added "personality" along with some sort of professionalism to it (hey, look at us we, fucking care for detail). But, for me, none of that matters because: 1) I already joined. Advertising need is done and 2) I HAVE A CHOICE BETWEEN LOOKS (OMG!). What I care about is the fact that in the overview mode of group threads and possibly outside of that, my shit is always gonna look different since I am on perma Night Life mode (outside of forcing users to see what I see once they get into the other forums instead of lingering in the Overview; I've tested this with a few users). So, yeah... I just wanted to post since I want to be the third party opinion on this matter. That's it. =w= /

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back