Science LGBT+ and religion

Submitted.
In the words of Pope Francis, whom I have absolutely no obligation to care whether he lives or dies:
"Who am I to judge a gay person of goodwill who seeks the Lord?”
Jesus never taught to hate people different than me. He taught me to love and support those different than me. Even if homosexuality "is" a sin (Which I doubt extremely, if God hated gays, why would he create them?), God and Jesus compels me to invite sinners to dinner.
Matthew Chapter 9, verses 10-13 (New Living Translation Bible, keep in mind there are many editions of the bible that are written differently than others.)

"^10 Later, Matthew invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. ^11 But when the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with such scum?”

^12 When Jesus heard this, he said, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do.” ^13 Then he added, “Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: ‘I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.’ For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.' "

Just submitted. Is the point of this survey to correlate how many people are religious and non-heterosexual/trans/etc... ?

Because I don´t see how it could bring any other correlation. In all honesty, I am a bit homophobic. And a bit racist. I wouldn´t treat people differently over their sexual preference or skin color though, except in the aspects where those respectively affect the preferences of those people, but I do sometimes feel a certain...aversion to it?

In any case, after reading the bible several times and looking through clasules, being gay is not something I find a sin. The reason I am a bit homophobic is because I can´t see how it is anything but a disease, possibly a genetic disease, but still a disease. It is something out of someone´s control that interferes with stable body behavior. I don´t have anything against gay people, but I do think they should be treated like someone who lost a limb: let them live and be themselves, but not encourage others to follow that example.

In terms of my religion? Well, if you´re a good person, you´re a good person. Heck, I wouldn´t judge even if you were a bad person. God´s mercy is infinite after all.

Just submitted. Is the point of this survey to correlate how many people are religious and non-heterosexual/trans/etc... ?

Because I don´t see how it could bring any other correlation. In all honesty, I am a bit homophobic. And a bit racist. I wouldn´t treat people differently over their sexual preference or skin color though, except in the aspects where those respectively affect the preferences of those people, but I do sometimes feel a certain...aversion to it?

In any case, after reading the bible several times and looking through clasules, being gay is not something I find a sin. The reason I am a bit homophobic is because I can´t see how it is anything but a disease, possibly a genetic disease, but still a disease. It is something out of someone´s control that interferes with stable body behavior. I don´t have anything against gay people, but I do think they should be treated like someone who lost a limb: let them live and be themselves, but not encourage others to follow that example.

In terms of my religion? Well, if you´re a good person, you´re a good person. Heck, I wouldn´t judge even if you were a bad person. God´s mercy is infinite after all.

The Bible actually specifically states Homosexuality is a sin, though.

in the two times I read it, I never found evidence of that. Still, I am only human, I might have missed it. Would you care to tell me where that passage was, exactly?

Jeremiah-something something. I don't exactly remember the chapter, but it went something like "Thou shan't lie with a man as they would a woman. "

Jeremiah-something something. I don't exactly remember the chapter, but it went something like "Thou shan't lie with a man as they would a woman. "
alright, taking into assumption that you aren´t butchering what´s actually in there (as in, you´re actually remembering it, not just spouting what someone else told you was written there), there are several things that explain that:
1. The old testament should rarely be interpreted litterally. It is a collection of books written in several times in the traditional oral and poetic fashion of the time. Some say it may have been dictated by God himself, but then again, Jesus did speak in a lot of parables too. The reason for this cryptic form of talking is in the book of the apocalypse, though that is a talk for another time.

2. In most cases, citzens are encouraged to follow the law, in the bible. Homosexuality is not a sin, so much as it was a crime at the time. Even those instances were the bible supposedly "supports slavery", what you´re actually dealing with is a case of a Bible discouraging citzens from going against the law, so long as following the law still allows one to follow their conscience and God´s commands, that are ultimately summed up in Jesus´s command "love thy neighbour as you love thyself" (direct translation, I don´t actually know this one in English). Going against the law can set a precendent that leads to further violence and crime, or worse, so as long as people are treated appropriately, there is no reason to act in a criminal fashion. So, once again, being gay was not a sin, just unlawful.

3. A bit related to the previous aspect, because being homosexual was outlawed at those times, the easiest way to get it would be to either be so powerful that you could force someone to do it with you and get away with it (also known as rape and fraud), or you could try to find a brothel where they offered that kind of "service". So, in what way would you lie with a man as with a woman? By committing rape or by using prostitution. Those two, and not homosexuality, are the actual sins.

alright, taking into assumption that you aren´t butchering what´s actually in there (as in, you´re actually remembering it, not just spouting what someone else told you was written there), there are several things that explain that:
1. The old testament should rarely be interpreted litterally. It is a collection of books written in several times in the traditional oral and poetic fashion of the time. Some say it may have been dictated by God himself, but then again, Jesus did speak in a lot of parables too. The reason for this cryptic form of talking is in the book of the apocalypse, though that is a talk for another time.

2. In most cases, citzens are encouraged to follow the law, in the bible. Homosexuality is not a sin, so much as it was a crime at the time. Even those instances were the bible supposedly "supports slavery", what you´re actually dealing with is a case of a Bible discouraging citzens from going against the law, so long as following the law still allows one to follow their conscience and God´s commands, that are ultimately summed up in Jesus´s command "love thy neighbour as you love thyself" (direct translation, I don´t actually know this one in English). Going against the law can set a precendent that leads to further violence and crime, or worse, so as long as people are treated appropriately, there is no reason to act in a criminal fashion. So, once again, being gay was not a sin, just unlawful.

3. A bit related to the previous aspect, because being homosexual was outlawed at those times, the easiest way to get it would be to either be so powerful that you could force someone to do it with you and get away with it (also known as rape and fraud), or you could try to find a brothel where they offered that kind of "service". So, in what way would you lie with a man as with a woman? By committing rape or by using prostitution. Those two, and not homosexuality, are the actual sins.

Actually, I vaguely remember reading it online, so I may be way off. Lol. I still believe it's a sin, though.

Actually, I vaguely remember reading it online, so I may be way off. Lol. I still believe it's a sin, though.
well, I can´t really force you to believe something you don´t want to. Even if I had perfect arguing skills, in the end a person´s inclinations are something that may just be too hard to beat. In either case, it is a fact that Catholicism does not condemn gays as a group, though it doesn´t support such relationships either, and does not allow their marriage, seeing as to the purpose of marriage.

I'll point out the fact that if God wants homosexuals to burn in hell, he wouldn't have created them in the first place, and that Jesus compels, as I stated before, to accept all at the table. Not to mention the Old Testament has practically no relevance to Christ's teachings, and in fact, Jesus basically curb stomps the Ten Commandments and a few other Old Testament stuff.

Actually, that's from Leviticus. But since like 99.999% christians ignore the rest of the rules from Leviticus, I don't think that rule is even relevant anymore.

I figure it might be worthwhile to toss my jopinion (Jew opinion) into the ring here. I can't speak for everyone, especially since I'm Reform, but I've always found my being a known gay pretty compatible with my faith.

Many of the things in Leviticus (and the rest of the Old Testament, lol) were taken out of context, especially over several thousands of years of translation. I've known rabbis who have said that the famous Leviticus passage is in reference to male temple prostitution performed by many pagan faiths of the time; Leviticus is an instruction manual for the Israelites to not be like the pagans, and predominantly references things that are ritually unclean or idolatrous, not morally repugnant or 'sinful.'

(Also, I'm a little fuzzy on my New Testament, but I'd swear for anything that Jesus healed a Roman soldier's male lover? Either way, good dude, that Joshua.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back