• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Legends of Aestlyn (D&D 5e) - OOC

It's a sad day in Hell when D&D feels rules-light. My lord, Exalted. Do a better job. You make every other game feel light and airy.

Sigh, tell me about it. It's part of the reason why I picked the Mystic. It's vaguely Exalted-like in it's overall structure and customizability.

To be fair, D&D 5e is made to be very approachable. I've been quite pleased in running my games of it, but at times I love to still dip into Exalted for the crunch and more in-depth design stuff.

Never tried Exalted, but I do agree on D&D's approachability. It was my first RPG and I was glad it wasn't too difficult to figure it all out

Oh yes. 3e was a mess. 3.5 less so, but still had the bones of a mess. 4e was a video game on paper, not what I was looking for. 5e is the best D&D yet, but there are so many better games these days. It leaves a lot of story-game goodness on the table.

Ultimately, for better or worse, DnD is and has always been a tactical combat game with some roleplaying slapped on at the last minute. I don't fault it for this, but I do wish it would try to push it's limits a bit more sometimes.

Oh agreed, but your players and you are what make the D&D game fuller. I've had some good stories emerge from my settings in it.

But there are ones with better ways to go about it as well, or more depth to play around with. Shadowrun is a personal favorite for really getting into the crunch and plotty goodness.

I started with 5E. I didn't actually play at first, just watched Critical Role on Youtube and started a game with my friends later :)

Ultimately, for better or worse, DnD is and has always been a tactical combat game with some roleplaying slapped on at the last minute. I don't fault it for this, but I do wish it would try to push it's limits a bit more sometimes.
Well said. I mean, it came from a war-game, no less. But I feel like — enter the RPG snob — there have been lot of really interesting lessons learned about pen and paper RPGs that D&D and Exalted and games like it just ignore.

Ironically, they both have the same flaw in that they were made for fans, by fans. I wish someone in the lead development role had been brought in to give the games a more objective look, but instead we got two games that tried to appeal to the fanbase as well as the writers personal preferences instead of a game that could be considered appreciable or user friendly.

Ironically, they both have the same flaw in that they were made for fans, by fans. I wish someone in the lead development role had been brought in to give the games a more objective look, but instead we got two games that tried to appeal to the fanbase as well as the writers personal preferences instead of a game that could be considered appreciable or user friendly.
Absolutely true. I do have to give it to Wizards with 5e, though. They at least tried a little bit with the personal characteristics and bonds and such. That whole section is a great start.

My biggest hope is that they wanted to go further, but were afraid of alienating longtime fans of the tactical combat aspect of the game. Hopefully the very positive reception will encourage them to put more effort in to that.

I have the same hope. I hope that Dungeon World is eating the hell out of their lunch so they pay attention.

-pokes head in-
Hi there, sorry to intrude... I noticed this roleplay a minute ago and was wondering if y'all were still accepting players?

Just to check, is there any sort of posting order we should be following?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back