• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Legends of Aestlyn (D&D 5e) - IC

Remembering Rina's warning from moments ago, Marko shifted his focus to the witch as she pushed Tychis out of the way and prepared to cast a spell, trying to figure out what sort of magic she was about to use.

With reflexes honed by years of training, Kyro's was moving in to position almost before the first attack was launched.

OOC
Initiative check: 1d20+2=19, Not bad.

Rina's firebolt whizzes by the Witch and explodes against the wall behind her. One of the royal crest wall hangings is burning.

The Witch’s spell will be cast on her turn.

Kyro, you’re up. What do you do?

Initiative:
Kyros — 19 <-----------
Rina — 16
Umbrie — 4
Tychis & men — 4
Marko — 3
Kingsguard — 3

Last edited:
"Keep the Witch under control!" Kyros called to Rina as he rushed Tychis. The last thing they needed was a caster throwing spells about without a hard counter. For now however, his attention was focused on Tychis. While the Witch was clearly a driving force in this, he was the figurehead. The sooner Tychis was removed, the harder it would be for his movement to claim legitimacy.

OOC
Str mod 3 + Proficiency 2 = 1d20+5 for 18 vs Tychis. If the attack hits, I'll use a bonus action to spend 3 Psi points to add 3d6 more points of damage on top of the spear's 1d8.

"Yeah, yeah," Rina muttered as her hands twirled in intricate patterns, conjuring a large ball of fire in between her palms. Her eyes caught the witch's and she smirked. "Sit down, bitch," Rina said, pulling back with her palm before casually pitching it towards the witch. Instantly the Scorching Ray spell, one of her most powerful, split the ball of fire into three red hot rays shrieking across the throne room.

Rina's smirk grew when she witnessed Tychis' men flinch as the Scorching Ray flew past them, but the sorceress didn't revel in her own power for long. She moved to duck behind the nearest object, even using one of the king's men as a shield if she had to.

Rina casts a 2nd level Scorching Ray spell at the witch. She then uses her movement to try to take cover behind the nearest suitable object.

Scorching Ray
You create three rays of fire an hurl them at targets within range. You can hurl them at one target or several. Make a ranged spell attack for each ray. On a hit, the target takes 2d6 fire damage.

Note: Roll order between attack and damage corresponds to one another. So the first damage roll is for the first attack roll, etc.

Scorching Ray: 1D20 + 5 = [14]+5 = 19
1D20 + 5 = [1]+5 = 6
1D20 + 5 = [18]+5 = 23

Scorching Ray Damage: 2D6 = [4, 5] = 9
2D6 = [6, 6] = 12
2D6 = [6, 3] = 9

Kyros, you rush Tychis while he’s fumbling for his sword. You thrust your spear forward and it pierces his studded leather, digging deep into his shoulder. He grunts and takes a step back.

Rina, your rays leap toward the witch who puts up her arms at the last moments. It’s not enough, though, as she’s hit by two of them. The flames envelop her and she screams.

Umbrie, you're turn.

Initiative:
Kyros — 19
Rina — 16
Umbrie — 4 <-----------
Tychis & men — 4
Marko — 3
Kingsguard — 3

Umbrie, hoping to keep Tychis Alive for Questioning will move up to him and bash him across the temple with the blunt end of her saber for nonlethal damage,, after attacking, with the flat of her blade she will spring back as far out of melee as she can, springing back with the momentum of her strike. she was a young girl on the surface, but somebody must have trained her pretty well with a Saber. she might be a nobleman's neice or something like that.

Move followed by melee attack with flat of Saber, whether attack hits or missing, cunning action to disengage as a bonus action and use rest of move get out of range without provoking due to disengage, attack directed at Tychis

_: 1D20+5 = [11]+5 = 16
16 to hit. hits almost any character in light armor, medium armor or chainmail that doesn't use excessive powergamer shenanigans.

damage test in case 16 hits

_: 1D8+3 = [3]+3 = 6

6 base damage

in case sneak attack applies (it applies when a rogue gangs up)

_: 2D6 = [3, 4] = 7

7 Additional Sneak Attack Damage or 13 total nonlethal damage from the back end of a dueling saber to the temple. enough to one shot a 1st level mountain dwarf fighter or almost one shot a 1st level mountain dwarf barbarian.

if this drops Tychis to Zero Hit Points, i would like to declare him Unconscious for questioning instead of dying

Last edited:
Umbrie, you rush to Tychis and whip him across the face with the flat of your blade. He lets out a, "Puh!" as blood and spit spray from his mouth. He staggers again, but keeps his footing. You leap back away out of his reach.

Marko, your action.

Initiative:
Kyros — 19
Rina — 16
Umbrie — 4
Tychis & men — 4
Marko — 3 <-----------
Kingsguard — 3

Kyros, with your spear connecting and so close, Tychis focuses on you. He draws his longsword and steps into you. He brings his sword down hard and then across in two vicious attacks.

Take 20 damage.

Marko, the Witch cries out as your sword cuts across her chest. Her robes are soaked in blood. Gritting her teeth, and with little time, she changes her spell. She puts her hand out and three rays of fire blast out, but you're close enough to duck under her arm. She misses completely and the rays of fire explode against the far wall.

The Kingsguard rush forward to meet Tychis' thugs. They meet steel to steel, thrusting and parrying.

Kryos, it's your turn.

Initiative:
Kyros — 19 <-----------
Rina — 16
Umbrie — 4
Marko — 3
Tychis, Witch, & men — 3
Kingsguard — 3

Redirecting his focus inward, Kyros' flesh became infused with his mental energy, toughening itself to absorb the blow.

Gritting his teeth, he pushed through the pain and raised his spear as he continued his assault on Tychus, refusing to yield to the traitor.

On Tychis' turn, I spend 2 Psi Points on Steel Hide, gaining Resistance to physical damage until end of my next turn, taking 10 damage total.

Also, I forget to add the Temp HP from Psionic Resilience, so I had +2 Temp HP from the start of my last turn, so my final HP totals are HP: 22/30, THP: 0/0

On my turn, I gain +2 THP, and attack as before: 1d20+5 for 24 to hit. If my attack connects, I'll be spending 3 Psi Points as before to add +3d6 damage to the spear's 1d8 1d8+3+3d6 for 25 damage.

HP: 22/30, THP 2/2
PP: 6/14. Running low on juice now :xFeek:

Kyros, you thrust again, and Tychis misses his parry. He cries out and his blood spatters all over the floor. You pull your spear out of his chest. His breathing is ragged and he's fighting to stand.

Rina, you're up.

Initiative:
Kyros — 19
Rina — 16 <-----------
Umbrie — 4
Marko — 3
Tychis, Witch, & men — 3
Kingsguard — 3

Rina peeked over the table she kicked over as cover, not minding the mixed drinks spilling all across the floor from when she knocked them over. Her eyes narrowed at the witch, who appeared very wounded, but somehow still alive. "Seriously..." she muttered to herself. With some manipulation of magical energy, Rina directed a small flame to appear on the point of her index finger. She pointed it at the witch like a finger gun, and fired. The flame burst into a ray of pure heat as she did, zipping across the room and towards the witch with intent to finish her off.

Rina uses a firebolt attack on the witch. She doesn't move, instead staying behind the table as cover.

Firebolt Attack
_: 1D20+5 = [14]+5 = 19

Firebolt Damage (if it hits)
_: 1D10 = [8] = 8

Umbrie, will dart back in, a portion of her movement, assisting kyros in trying to knock out Tychis, the flat of a Saber went towards the leader of the usurpers. hoping to knock him out rather than kill him, the momentum of her attack would knock her small body backwards out of reach. her attack smacked him pretty hard against the temple, even if she didn't quite knock him out, she was most likely close to doing so. she wanted him down and alive for the king's men to question. her short skirt to her dress lifted a bit upward from her excess momentum, but not enough to flash everyone a shot of London and France. she appeared to be quite nimble on her feet, seemingly springing back and forth, in ways a child as young as thirteen years shouldn't.

Half of movement to move into to attack Tychis. make a sneak attack via gang up, cunning action as a bonus action to disengage, rest of movement to move out of melee range.

_: 1D20+5 = [18]+5 = 23
23 total. not a crit though.

_: 1D8+3 = [4]+3 = 7

7 base damage

sneak attack cause gang up

_: 2D6 = [4, 6] = 10

10 nonlethal sneak attack damage. 17 damage total

Rina, your ray strikes true, exploding in a brilliant orange light, setting the witch ablaze. Her screams of agony match the call of ancient Banshees and she flails about in a vain attempt to take action against her torment. And then, as a charred tree in a storm, she crashes to the ground dead. Her skin smolders and a small flame dances along sections of her hair.

Umbrie, you dance in on Tychis, and like a gale you whip him across the temple. He crumbles to hands and knees, like the dirty dog that he is, then struggles back to his feet.

Marko, it is you're action.

Initiative:
Kyros — 19
Rina — 16
Umbrie — 4
Marko — 3 <-----------
Tychis, Witch, & men — 3
Kingsguard — 3

With Rina incinerating the witch, and confident that the Kingsguard could take care of the soldiers, Marko ran over to the front of Tychis, pointing his sword at the man's heart.

"You can't win this. Give up, and your life may yet be spared." He said, hoping against all odds that Tychis's behaviour was just the result of the witch's magic, and that it would have no effect on him now that she was dead. Still, he prepared himself for the worst. If Tychis attacked him, or refused to surrender, Marko would swing for him in the hope of incapacitating him.

Marko readies an attack, to be taken if Tychis does anything other than surrender. Attack will knock Tychis out if it reduces his HP to 0.
Attack roll: 1D20 + 2 = [6]+2 = 8
Damage roll: 1D8 + 2 = [2]+2 = 4

Marko, Tychis manages to keep his feet long enough for you to say your piece. He makes to reply, raising his hand to point, but it’s too much. His wounds are grievous, his head bruised. All at once, he collapses in a heap, still alive, barely.

Two of Tychis’ six men have been cut down, one whose innards have been spilled to the ground, the other's face ruined by the blow that killed him. Seeing the burnt witch and the all but dead Tychis, the last four of his men yield. Their weapons clatter to the floor and they fall to their knees. Three of the Kingsguard lie dead in a pool of their own life’s-blood.

The King stands, his eyes flickering with a fire, his mouth twisted in a wicked smile.

“Well, done! I am impressed.” He motions to you all. “You fought well and protected the crown. You’ve earned the right to decide the fate of those who’ve surrendered. What say you? Shall well kill them?”

"Tychis' intentions were noble, but he went about it the worst possible way." Kyros' said. "We cannot allow the other nobility to think that usurpation is an acceptable solution to any troubles they may have in their land. To do so is to allow dissent to breed and may lead to the end of our kingdom if we were to fall in to infighting."

"Let his execution be swift and painless, and let his lands and riches be divided up among the other houses of nobility. They will be less inclined follow in his footsteps if they believe that what they have will fall in to the hands of their rivals, and it will show that the houses who stand with you are rewarded for their services."

While it was true that Kyros's house would be one of the houses rewarded, that was not his focus. He had no need for monetary gain right now, as stability of the kingdom was far far more important. If nothing else, with Tychis' lands falling partially under his control, he would more easily be able to tend to the disgraced nobles concerns himself. A final tribute to a misguided man.

Umbrie tried her best to make a request. "before we Execute him, he may have information that may prove to be of value. i would rather that some of the Royal Spellcloaks Question him first to ensure that information not go to waste. i'm only a mere applicant so i'm ill fit to do the questioning without supervision, but if you signed a letter of approval, i could become a proper spellcloak initiate and complete my training." the little girl began to speak in an annoyingly innocent tone that more than betrayed the noble wisdom she tried to show off, normally, the royal spellcloaks were one of those secrets best kept, but among the king's trusted men, she could get away with bringing up the elite cloaked royal investigators, whom she had been training for nearly her whole life to join.

"while we don't want others to attempt a similar betrayal, we also want to ensure we procure the stories the traitors have to tell. it might be of use to assisting the your majesty's men in the future. a strong and healthy kingsguard keeps a strong and healthy kingdom. locations of like minded traitors or even the motive that drove them to treason."

Last edited:
WlfSamurai WlfSamurai JayTee JayTee Umbrie Umbrie
As he turned away from the unconscious form of Tychis, Marko couldn't help but feel uneasy at the look on the king's face when he asked the group to decide the fate of the prisoners, but he quickly recovered.

"I would not be so hasty, old friend." Marko said with a look towards Kyros. "I am not entirely certain, but I believe that witch we killed had some sort of unnatural influence over Tychis. Therefore, I feel it would be prudent to question him when he recovers. Of course, if it turns out Tychis was acting on his own free will, I agree that we should make an example of him."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back