Other Learn new words!

Dugym

One Thousand Club
Learn new words! Just post a word here, and include it's definition.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's= it is. 

Its= possessive form of "it".  :D

Also, do you want just English words, or...?

This is a serious thread, lol. And it doesn't have to be English words, but preferably English alphabet. For example, Zeg is a Georgian word that English seriously needs.

This seems really cool~ 

Personally, I love learning new words, so I'll definitely be around this thread lol. Anyways, here's my share!

Mellifluous:

(adj.) A sound that is sweet and smooth; pleasing to hear.

"Her voice was mellifluous and soothing." 

Effervescent:

(adj.) [Of a liquid] giving off bubbles; fizzy.

"The effervescent drink was interesting to watch."

I'd share more, but I'm sure that everyone else will have something interesting to share as well, and plus even though you didn't say we couldn't share more than one word, if I didn't stop myself in time everyone would have a dictionary in front of them XD.

Quixotic: exceedingly idealistic; unrealistic and impractical.

I wonder if -had I chased my quixotic ambitions as a teenager to eliminate poverty on a global scale- if it would have changed anything. 

I wonder if -had I chased my quixotic ambitions as a teenager to eliminate poverty on a global scale

Fun fact: If the food used to feed the animals that get eaten were used to feed humans, we could greatly decrease world hunger.

Fun fact: If the food used to feed the animals that get eaten were used to feed humans, we could greatly decrease world hunger.

I totally agree that vegetarianism is more sustainable for both people and the world. But I like bacon. So instead of trying to remove meat from my diet entirely, I've decided just to minimize it. :)

I totally agree that vegetarianism is more sustainable for both people and the world. But I like bacon. So instead of trying to remove meat from my diet entirely, I've decided just to minimize it. :)

The next word I'll put, because it's just perfect for this situation, is flexitarian.

Flexitarian: A person who has a primarily vegetarian diet but occasionally eats meat or fish.

FINALLY A PLACE TO SPREAD MY WORDS

Feghoot:

A moral or message of a song, poem, etc. that is a pun

Ever heard of Little Bunny Foo Foo? The moral of it is a feghoot: "Hare today, and goon tomorrow."

Zugzwang:

A situation in a chess game in which one of the players has to choose between two, or more choices, however all of the choices include some form of negative reprecussions. In the 21st century, it turned into a more common word to reference a choice which someone doesn't want to make, as all of the options are\have undesirable effects.

Examples:

Man, I have choose between chocolate and vanilla? I hate both. This is a zugzwang.

Should I go ahead, or stay here? No matter which I choose, I don't think I can find the way back to the town. Such a zugzwang...

Facetious

(adj.) amusing; humorous.

Facetious is actually a very specific type of humor: inaproppriate, tongue-in-cheek, flippant, playful or cheeky.

One of my favorite words is Ma, a Japanese word that roughly translates to "negative space." In music, it's little pauses between notes; in art, it's the blank space between objects; and in literature or film, it's the little times of resting between major scenes.

Apace: at a fast speed or pace. Adverb. Synonym for quickly. "Growing apace." Can also be a synonym for abreast. Must use of or with in conjunction. "Trying to keep apace with changes in technology."

bi·fur·ca·tion

ˌbīfərˈkāSHən/

noun

1. the division of something into two branches or parts.

"the bifurcation of the profession into social do-gooders and self-serving iconoclasts"

Befuddled 

Verb

To make (someone) unable to think clearly 

He had such a befuddled look on a math question

ver·i·si·mil·i·tude

verəsəˈmiliˌt(y)o͞od/

noun

1. the appearance of being true or real.

"the detail gives the novel some verisimilitude"

Sumpsimus

[suhmp-suh-muh s] /ˈsʌmp sə məs/

noun, plural sumpsimuses for 2.

1. adherence to or persistence in using a strictly correct term, holding to a precise practice, etc., as a rejection of an erroneous but more common form (opposed to mumpsimus ).

2. a person who is obstinate or zealous about such strict correctness (opposed to mumpsimus ).

coup de grâce

ˌko͞o də ˈɡräs/

noun

1. a final blow or shot given to kill a wounded person or animal.

"he administered the coup de grâce with a knife"

synonyms:

death blow, finishing blow, kiss of death, final blow; More

• an action or event that serves as the culmination of a bad or deteriorating situation.

"the epidemic has been the coup de grâce for the airline crisis"

scin·til·lat·ing

ˈsin(t)lˌādiNG/

adjective

1. sparkling or shining brightly. brilliant and excitingly clever or skillful

synonyms:

sparklingshiningbrightbrilliant, gleaming, glittering, twinkling, shimmering, glistening;

literaryglistering

"a scintillating diamond necklace"

"the audience loved his scintillating wit"

(this happens to by my favorite word)

scin·til·lat·ing

ˈsin(t)lˌādiNG/

adjective

1. sparkling or shining brightly. brilliant and excitingly clever or skillful

synonyms:

sparklingshiningbrightbrilliant, gleaming, glittering, twinkling, shimmering, glistening;

literaryglistering

"a scintillating diamond necklace"

"the audience loved his scintillating wit"

(this happens to by my favorite word)

edit: EEK it double posted me lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back