• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Kenkawa Village: A Feudal Tale

Characters
Here
Sho Tsuruhime (The Raiding Princess)

d2b9fcd04dcce0f62fcd1e3be0459019.jpg
Tsu was still smiling a devil’s grin. Her features hiding the rapid mechanizations going on behind her single watching eye, while still showing her true feelings about the sinful excitement of fighting with someone that could potentially kill her.

The man matched her own stance to counter her own. He was no fool and wouldn’t rush to his death. She believed even with their matching stances that she would still have the speed and initial striking power advantage. He still wouldn’t wield his weapon with two hands despite the disadvantage of not doing so. That meant he may be overly reliant of striking or grappling with his off hand. An inelegant way of fighting that was effective against samurai more used to a traditional duel.

When the bandit spoke, her features did not waver. She was slightly surprised to hear that he had figured out she was from Okinawa so quickly but clearly, he didn’t know who exactly she was.

“At least I have a home, lost boy.” Her voice was colored with her smirking face, and a single breath after her words passed her lips, she launched herself directly forward while simultaneously bringing her blade down to her chest and point forward.

Her strike was simple and quick. A direct thrust forward, her blade parallel with her chest and the tip of the blade piercing towards the bandit’s stomach. The attack was meant to end their standoff right then and there by impaling her opponent. She didn’t think that he would have time to readjust his stance and she already knew where his blade would go encounter to her own. His strike down would be slow with only one hand and even if he did grab her with his freehand, she would counter with her wakazaki.

She was happy to accept the risk that his strike down might be faster than expect that she wouldn’t be able to side step in time.

CatJones CatJones

Kirai's surprise had faded as he fell back into the murderous ways he was so accustomed to. He was surprised that the girl admitted to being from the island nation. She was far from home and so close to their enemies, the Shimazu. He wasn't a man who understood politics with anymore depth then being able to recognize the grudges some of the clans held for one another. He knew of the Shimazu bringing that southern island kingdom into the domain of Japan's borders. She was Japanese in name alone. His time sailing had led him to Okinawa and he understood the animosity between them and the Shimazu. He wondered if it was fate that she would be there or if luck; she was closer to the Shimazu then she knew.

Her stance changed quickly as he closed the distance between them, shifting to overly aggressive. He hadn't full expected it but it his plan changed little from before. As she rapidly drew up on him, he tilted his head back slightly and a little to her right. In one swift and fluid motion he acted with an undignified grace of someone willing to do anything to save their own skin. He spat. Not the thickest ball of snot possible but viscous enough to nearly make a wet and sloppy sound as it collided with her good eye. The second after he did so, knowing it would leave her blind, he threw himself to the same side as her good eye, rolling into a crouching stance. He assumed that she would follow through with the attack, assuming that she would still be able to hit him at such a short distance.

Either way, if she continued her now blind strike, she would hit nothing but air. Kirai quickly repositioned himself as he stood up. He was repositioning his sword into a new stance when an air piecing wail broke the tense air. Another kabura-ya sounded down through the valley. Kirai let out a scoff as it finished its screaming descent in only a matter of a second or two. It was the sound to retreat. He would have preferred to finish up the fight there, but orders were orders. He walked, almost nonchalantly, back over to his own men, confident that if anyone tried to attack while he did so, they would be struck down in the span of a heart beat. He took his sheath back and put his sword away. He turned around, facing the three strangers again.

"I don't know what fool thoughts got into your heads but flee this place. If I have to come back here to deal with you, I won't let any of you live." His eyes slowly moved between the three and past them. He settled his eyes on the largest hut in the village, almost as if he was expecting someone else to do or say something from it. Without another word, he turned back toward the bridge and began to walk away, his men in tow. This was surely not the last time they would face him.

(Talk amongst yourself or go to the largest hut in the village to continue the story.)

MocaPoka MocaPoka
LadyOfStars LadyOfStars
Akkun no Baka Akkun no Baka
Andei Andei

Ito Kasumi
download (1).png
Crescent Moon Slayer

Kasumi watched with great interest as the two a warriors clashed. It seemed that Tsu Tsy was having the time of her life. Her opponent appeared to be a fan of violence as well. Tsu Tsu's movements were smooth and methodical and the bandits were rough yet effective. Kasumi clenched ahold of the shuriken in her sleeve waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. She was a ninja and fighting fair was nowhere in her playbook. Of course she would have to listen to an earful from her samurai friend for interfering with the dual. A small price to pay for victory.

As the exchanged continued Kasumi was just about to decide to act when the bandit capitalized on an opportunity in true outlaw fashion. He spit in Tsu Tsu's eye. The crude but effective tactic could only be described as gutless. Kasumi couldn't help but internally applaud the bandit for doing whatever it took for victory. After the insulting gesture the dual was over. As the bandit spoke to them his gaze fell upon a large hut in the village. This peaked Kasumi's curiosity and once it was safe to move she would be headed there.

Moments after the bandits started to retreat Kasumi put her shuriken and walked up to Tsu Tsu pulling a rag out of her back pouch. Knowing her friends personality she literally shoved the rag into Tsu Tsu's chest and turned towards the large hut without waiting to see if it was accepted. "There is something in that large hut that interests these bandits, I want to know what that is." she stated plainly, "Oh and Tsu Tsu, burn the rag when your done with it. I don't want to touch anything related to that filthy bandit." she added load enough to be heard throughout the area in hopes she was overheard by their assailants.

For the eldest woman in the village, Iwa, Kenkawa had started to feel more and more like a cage then a home. She was the acting nanushi (headman) since her husband had passed away and there were no other men who would willingly take up the task. She found no comfort or sense of relief in her current position. She couldn't offer any assistance or security to the people of her village. Worse yet then that, all of the young men had been pulled away from the village to act as ashigaru for the local lord. Even the samurai who were meant to be acting as a mixture of guards and landlords had taken off at the first sign of the changing times. The horrible fate of the war in the mainland was now dragging Japan with it, a corpse dragging a drowning man into the depths. The bandits were a peculiar breed. She had seen the worst mankind had to offer with night robbers and ronin but these men were strange in their ways.

She would need time to understand what plans they were scheming up on that hillside. The din outside was promising, the obvious sounds of a battle taking place. Then an uncertain feeling slowly crept over her. She could hear the injured cry out and the quiet, or loud, cry of the dying. What she didn't hear was what worried her; no orders or commands given. Whomever was outside, they were not the military. It couldn't be the manslayers either, since one of their members was more talkative than expected. She would have surely heard him chirping happily amongst the fighting. Her hut was the largest in town yet as she pressed up against the shoji of her hut, straining to hear what was happening outside.

The fight was quick, with what sounded like several dead, though as it grew closer to its conclusion, the tempo changed. It became less of a brawl and more of a duel. She could hear feet splashing around in the mud and some talking, boasting from both sides. From the sounds of it, more people had shown up to help the village while their lords were holed up in their castles. Kirai was outside. She had spoken to him more then once and knew the man was both a fool and a terrifying killer. His black heart held no remorse or mercy. It was only the piercing shriek of a whistling arrow that seemed to call him off. It sounded like his duel ended with neither side having killed the other. It was a relief to know there was one less stranger to bury but that Kirai still lived was just as disheartening. She moved away from the shoji, surveying the room around her.

It was still neat, as neat as she could have kept it but it was sparse. In an attempt to break her the bandits had destroyed a great deal of her effects. Her tea set was broken, the sitting cushions were all torn apart, all of her additional clothing was torn to shreds. Still, she had managed to make the large hut look like it was still an inviting place to be. The only nagging problem was the discolored wood. Red splotches followed a thick and grisly trail to the table in the center of the room. Her late husbands blood now a permeant reminder of his last moments. She could only hope that a priestess could come soon to help her husband on his journey, before his spirit would begin to haunt the village.

She had been alive long enough to have seen the end of the Ashikaga Shogunate, the Oda Shogunate and the life of the current shogun. Her hair was gray now, not the raven she had grown up with and her eyes were slowing fading, both in color and size. Proud emerald eyes were now a murky sea green, not that anyone could tell; she squinted to the point that her eyes were barely visible though her lashes. She was still wearing the same dull red kimono she had been wearing since the bandits first attacked.

She sat at her table, waiting for her guests to either come seek her or leave. She wouldn't go outside until she was sure it was safe.

old-woman-mushibugyou-54413.jpg

Last edited:
Haruki

While he wasn’t wild about the idea of being shielded by the kunoichi, Haruki did understand and appreciate the willingness of these two women to protect him. They were an odd pair, but the world was in desperate need of more people like them at the moment. When the bandit and the samurai began their bout, Haruki tried to observe, but he was given flashbacks of happier times. The samurai of the Mori Clan used to spar in the castle courtyard, putting on a brilliant display of skill and talent. Their blades gleaming under the sun’s warm light, their master cheering and praising both swordsmen. As he exhaled all his happiness left his body and he opened his eyes to see he was not at home. His eyes followed the blades and the movement of the feet of the two combatants.

When the man spit in the woman's eyes Haruki cringed at the sight. It was a disgusting thing to do to someone, but as a samurai she wouldn’t stoop to such levels of cowardice. He didn’t notice the ninja as she prepared her shuriken, but in his mind he wanted to hurl his senbon and weaken the man.

As the fight reached its conclusion Haruki looked back and forth between the two women. The enemy was retreating and although they were taking with them all of his wares, Haruki felt that they had won the day. The group showed the enemy that they were not mere prey and that the village was no longer theirs for the taking.

“Well done.” Letting go of his sword Haruki lightly applauded the woman and nodded his head. The ninja’s next words were somewhat curious and he turned to see the very house that she was talking about. “After you two.” He said with a polite smile.

Tsu was well aware that there were disadvantages to having one eye. Still, never had the disability been so well exploited before and in such a humiliating way.

When the spit hit, Tsu instinctively closed her eye and leaped back into a defensive stance away from the bandit. She forced herself to open her eye despite the spit; unwilling to take a single finger off her blade even to help clear her phylum obscured vision.

A wail ended the duel; a signal to retreat for the bandits and Kirai simply walked away from their exchange. Tsu didn’t pursue or protest and she furiously wiped the spit from her eye with the back of her hand. Once the bandits left, she sheathed her sword and broiled over the humiliation that she had experienced. Very few people had ever walked away from duels against her and never a bandit. The island woman had never experienced such a humiliation since she had lost her eye.

“I’ll… kill him… he… spat on me… I even… gave him… the chance for honor... by dueling me… he spat at the chance to die… honorably… spat at me…” The female samurai muttered to herself with the shocked expression and unbelieving voice of a woman who had just discovered that her husband had more than a few side geishas in their marital bed. She shook with building rage; her hands clenched at her sides into tight, shaking fists.

Tsu was barely aware of the other two near her. She nearly shoved Kasumi away when the rag was pushed into her chest, but she was able to control herself and wipe the rest of the spit off her face. When she was done the island princess exploded. She threw the rag into the mud and let out a loud, screaming war cry of anger and fury that she prayed the fleeing bandits would be able to hear. When she didn’t have any air left to give to her seething expression of humiliation and outcry, she simply breathed furiously in the middle of village like a mad woman.

Nobuo

Nobuo watched the duel unfold, taking careful note of the information that was being spilled from their exchange of both words and steel. The bandit, who had so loudly given his name as ‘Kirai’, moved far more cautiously than he might have expected a common brigand to carry himself in combat. His swings didn’t appear wild and his eyes were not so preoccupied with displaying contempt that they failed to carefully observe his opponent’s movements. Evidently he had not been lying about being a raider skilled enough to be in the employ of a clan as prestigious as the Mori. The same could be said of the ohime-sama who had so boldly claimed the right to bring death to her opponent - evidently she had not spoken with any less than the full intention to stay true to her word. Judging from the way she didn’t rush her opponent, the swordswoman didn’t seem to be looking down on Kirai and facing him as a genuine threat.

"I have you worked out. You're not from the mainland and not from Kyushu too. Yes, you're from that little land, Okinawa. You're far from home, little girl."

This caused the merchant to raise an eyebrow. He was quite certain that the swordswoman had introduced herself both by the name of ‘Sho Tsuruhime’ and by the moniker of ‘the raiding princess of Okinawa’, making Kirai’s perceived deduction a bit moot.

Well, I suppose I have no right to judge. Poor lad is trying his best.

It did, however, bring to attention a fact which he'd previously glossed over on account of the other slightly more graphic content of Tsuruhime’s self-introduction. Whether she was truly connected to a royal line or whether it was simply an epithet, it was strange that an onna-bugeisha from Okinawa would be here in Higo, and in some obscure village like Kenkawa of all places. The trio in front of him seemed to appear increasingly out of place by the minute.

In his musings, he almost missed the moment Kirai spat into the eye of his opponent. Nobuo winced - it was a messy look in all sorts of ways and it would have been a very unflattering manner to meet one’s end had it not been for the signal arrow calling the retreat. It appeared that the ‘raiding princess of Okinawa’ had been saved by the brigands’ untimely withdrawal, though from her expression, he doubted that this would be of minimal consolation, if any.

These bandits are unusually capable, Nobuo observed. So many unusual things in one picture, like the front of a shop that sells anything and everything without care or discernment. And a shop like that rarely comes without something suspect going on in the back. And then there’s the question of how news about a tiny village with bandit issues in Kumamoto somehow managed to get as far as Osaka. Villages all over the country have brigands coming out of their ears, especially in these times… what could be so special about this one?

The bandit’s rough voice interrupted his thoughts: "I don't know what fool thoughts got into your heads but flee this place. If I have to come back here to deal with you, I won't let any of you live."

It did not go unnoticed by Nobuo that Kirai was looking pointedly at a particular hut behind him when he shouted out his parting words. The moment the bandit turned his back, the merchant quickly dashed to the hut in question while the attention of the trio was drawn to the inevitable fury of their undoubtedly humiliated comrade. Wasting no time, he stepped inside, taking care to announce his entrance as he drew aside the tattered shoji: ‘I apologise for my intrusion…’

He gave pause as he quickly took stock of the interior of the hut. It was largely unremarkable but with signs here and there of evident efforts to keep it well-maintained. As his eyes adjusted to the slightly dimmer light, he noted the somewhat macabre blemishes on the wooden floor that spoke of a violent and unseemly conclusion to whatever altercation had occurred within the walls of the house. An old woman, the hut’s sole visible inhabitant, was seated at the small table before him. For a moment, it was almost as if the bloodstained floor between them had become a grisly shogi board, upon which she demanded with her resolute silence that Nobuo move the first piece in this game of words.

He caved.

‘Wow, those bandits are a nasty bunch,' the merchant said with a disarming smile as he placed his bundles and carrying pole down on the ground. 'I think they're gone now. Are you hurt anywhere, obaa-san? If you're injured, it would be best to have that looked at sooner than later. Ah, I believe I have a herbal remedy which I can offer free of charge. Oh, my name is Nobuo, a merchant of Omi - you may have heard of us, sanpo yoshi and all that. Very good call, staying inside. I wouldn't have wanted to be out there when all that was going on. I…’ -he glanced at the broken pottery on the table- ‘...don’t suppose you’d be interested in a new tea set…?’

Last edited:
It was the mans sudden and simple apology, the usual fare for those entering another's home to announce themselves, that pulled her from the deep well of her thoughts. A man had entered her home, a wry looking man. No doubt, someone who had made a living off the backs of others works. At best, a merchant. At worst, a low ranking ronin. He seemed taken back by the state of the room. It was a grisly sight to those uninterred into such a life style and those who expected greener pastures in such a remote quiet place. It didn't surprise her that he quickly began to prattle on as he placed his belongings down. She assumed by the wares he was carrying, he was a merchant. Though, in such strange times, even ones eyes could play tricks on them.

She watched him from her table, letting him continue to talk. He seemed like the kind that if the target of his conversation didn't reply he would simply continue on his own. Her stoic face remained unchanged as he spoke. She noted his eyes travelling around the room. Either looking for riches or justification for his arrival. Her suspicions were confirmed when he both announced himself as an Omi merchant and tempted her to buy a new tea pot. Typical merchant. Replace something broken instead of making it better. Not to even mention the other thing's he was trying to sell. Either way, she needed to properly greet him. She quickly stood, as quickly as her old bones would let her, gave a weak bow and sat back down.

"Nobuo-kun, you said? I'm this villages headman, Iwa. At least, I am since my husband passed. I have no need of your wares, I am neither injured nor is this tea pot so broken I can't fix it with kintsugi." She noted the blood on the floor, realizing that was why he thought her injured. She also bit her tongue when he had said the bandits were a nasty bunch. As if it denoted the idea of a group of night robbers out in the wilds who were more palatable. "You've come to a village attacked by bandits almost daily. You might be better off leaving as soon as you can. This is no place for merchants. You'll find few happy customers here, as your sanpo yoshi dictates."

She paused for a moment, letting herself adjust somewhat on her cushion. "That being said, I won't refuse you hospitality. They don't attack more then once a day if they can help it. You can stay the night, if you want. Maybe those warriors outside will need something you can sell them. But they might also not be appreciative that you stayed out of that fight. I noticed your voice was absent from theirs."

She half turned to him, offering a hand towards the table. At this point, she could care less if he slipped out of his outdoor shoes and traded them for some indoor sandals, which there were more then enough pairs of in the genkan for him to do so, should he choose.

"We'll have to use your tea pot, if you want a drink, Nobuo-kun."

Andei Andei

Ito Kasumi
download (1).png

Crescent Moon Slayer
Not truly listening to the beautiful man in front of her, Kasumi made her way towards the largest building in the village. The remnants of the recent battle were still spread across what was left of the village. Even worse was the fact that the Crows had began to pick at the corpses. Either eating away at the softer parts of flesh, such as the eyes or nose, or playing with the shiny decorations of stolen jewelry or brooches that adorned the unfortunate fallen.

With a heavy sigh she muttered, "Guess I have to.." as if talking to someone invisible. She pulled a stack of rectangular papers out of her back pouch along with a small vile of ink and fine brush. Next she meticulously yet deliberately began to use calligraphy to create a multitude of purifying talisman. She then went to each of the corpses, both bandit and merchant, and placed the talisman firmly on their chest. She had to swat away an occasional crow along the way. Next came the hard part, Kasumi made her way to the center of the fallen and placed her hands together interlocking her fingers except her pointer finger and thumb. They remained outstretched and pointing towards the heavens. Remember your training -she chanted to herself for a moment.

Kasumi began to hum quietly at first but she slowly began to pick up volume. Eventually she was singing a beautiful purifying song. Kasumi was no professional and her voice was rough and strained at points. Nonetheless she finished without any noticeable errors. As her song came to a close she paused, closed her eyes, and said a silent prayer for the dead. Once the ritual was complete she again turned towards the largest building in the village. Attempting to hide her blushing cheeks she groaned loudly, "The last thing we need are angry spirits haunting this village too!" and she quickly made her way to the building.

Once she was at the door of the building she overheard talking on the other side. It did not seem to be hostile nor was it friendly. With a knock on the door she said, "Excuse me, I am coming in." and with that she entered the home. It was truly dreadful inside. Not only was there clear evidence that there had been and execution in one of the rooms, the rest of the house was in shambles. Again she paused, closing her eyes, placing her hands in the same fashion as before, and said another silent purifying prayer. She then politely introduced herself to the two inhabitants of the dwelling. Taking a small bow "Nice to meet you, I am Kasumi. It seems your village is in need of aid" she awaited a reply.

Last edited:
Haruki

鉛華 By 踏月錦

Angry samurai, they were a dime a dozen especially on the battlefield or just after a battle where they didn't get to achieve all that they had planned or dreamed. An escaped foe was one of the biggest irritants, especially when the fights became personal. Haruki had seen too many times how reckless an angry samurai could be. This one seemed to handle it well though. As her cries resounded through the empty village he imagined that all her frustration and anger was expelled from his person so that she might compose herself in a respectable manner.

"Feel better? I am certain you will have your chance to strike him down." Haruki was of course rooting for the female samurai. "The Mori clan could use someone with your energy." The taikomochi flashed a smile before he turned and started towards the large dwelling, but was stopped by the sight of the kunoichi performing a ceremony. Just that fast he had forgotten the merchants that accompanied him, against their better judgement and the wishes of their loved ones they journeyed to a doomed village only to become part of it fallen. A gloomy darkness crept upon Haruki as the pain of their families began to weigh on him.

One conscious step after another he turned away from the corpses and his downcast gaze began to lead him towards the home. His trip had started out with so much promise and potential. Now he had this to add to his list of failures. Small, slow steps carried him to his destination at a pace that allowed the ninja to pass him, open the door, and go inside. As his kimono and haori cascaded over each individual step he tried to mentally prepare himself from conversation and interaction.

The sight that awaited him however was just as grim as the one he had left. The scene quickly brought to mind Izanami-no-mikoto and the tale of her demise. "This village is cursed." Haruki let slip from his lips as he took in the bloody mess and dilapidated state of the home.​

Tsu slowly, very slowly, felt her rage become manageable. She knew the small, but powerful little ball of hot fury in her chest would linger for several months if she didn’t kill the bandit that had humiliated her or find a few good bottles of sake to drown out the little flame. Looking around the decimated village; the former seemed more likely than the later. Unless there had been a very clever village drunk; the hope of finding even a small bottle of cheap sake was akin to wishing for her eye to grow back.

Taking another deep breath, the female samurai turned to Haruki.

“Unless you have few bottles of sake hidden in those robes, no.” Tsu muttered as she walked past the geisha, kabuki actor, or whatever he was again.

She walked into the mostly intact hut that seemed to be the only place with life inside. She ignored the mutters of possible cruses that the village now had by Haruki and the purifying rituals that Kasumi was performing, in the no mood spiritual matters or issues in her current stormy mood.

As the grumpy samurai walked in she looked around the humble room with a single irritated eye scanning the occupants.

“If someone can give me a single bottle of sake… I'll hear out just about any request.” Tsu muttered, mostly directing her words at the Oba-san and the random… merchant?

LadyOfStars LadyOfStars CatJones CatJones Andei Andei

Iwa had barely finished speaking to Nobuo when the trio from outside entered her home. She was surprised by the brazen attitudes they held. The first, a shrimpy girl calling herself Kasumi, was the most mannered of the three. She at least announced herself when she entered and gave her name. Iwa immediately felt conflicted with the girl. She seemed to be the youngest of the group, or at least the most youthful looking. Announcing herself with only one name made her seem like someone in the lower classes. Though, the sword on her hip told a different story then what the rest of her said. Iwa would have narrowed her eyes if they weren't already nearly closed. A shinobi. The blade matched that line of work, no samurai would willingly be seen with it and those sorts of people had no interest in revealing a clan name. They usually wanted to keep their activates covert. Iwa's mind raced with the possible uses of such a girl.

Secondly, a younger man entered, willingly saying what most people were thinking. Kenkawa was cursed. No outsider wandering by would see the unsightly village and think it a suitable place to stop and rest. Which only added to the mystery surrounding them even more. They were the most well dressed person in the room. Fanciful colors, well fitting clothes and grace. Iwa could only imagine he was a noble of some sort. Or, just as likely, the consort of nobles. She wasn't as sure what use she would have with a man more likely to be adjusted to a softer type of life. His grace and elegance was put on by his flawless form, even if it seemed his manners were less then satisfactory. Like the woman who followed after him, he didn't announce his entering nor give his name.

Lastly, but most assuredly not quietly last, was the was a less then composed samurai. She was dressed for the part, the typical swords hanging from her waist and enough of an air of gruffness. She seemed less then pleased. Judging by her voice, she was the one who had fought against Kirai. Of course, with the eye patch she was reminded of something else: Hitotsume-kozō. She suppressed the urge to ask if the one eyed woman would like some tofu instead of her preffered drink. Of course, the woman was just as mannerless as the noble that had entered before her. Didn't exscuse her entrance nor introduce herself. Judging by the question posed by Kasumi, however, she could guess they were all there for the same reason. Perhaps even the merchant.

"I never thought I would live to see the day where merchants and shinobi entered my house with more grace then nobles and samurai." She said quietly, looking down at the table before her before she returned her attention to her guests, aware that Nobuo hadn't had a chance to respond to her earlier question. She already knew that asking the merchant for his wares would cost her money, money she was planning to use to pay these warriors. "I apologize but I have little to offer to guests at the moment. As you might imagine, bandits make it hard to live a simple life. Forgive me, all I can offer you is company. Would it be bold of me to assume that you are all here on account of helping Kenkawa village?"

They seemed a strange lot. Even by comparison of the group she had hired the night before. Which reminded her. She needed someone to go get the villagers and return them to the village. The had taken enough food for breakfast at the least but no doubt the chilly night would have made them feel less fortunate then if they had remained with the bandits. And to answer the samurai woman's request would require her to fulfill Iwa's request first.

"And if you want sake, all of ours is currently hidden. Help me and you can take as much as you want." She said, slyly, to the samurai woman.

MocaPoka MocaPoka
Andei Andei
LadyOfStars LadyOfStars

39017aa88579b58077077f236f4fabf0--nurarihyon-no-mago-rihan-attractive-men.jpg
Otakemaru Sajin
The sound of the river beside the grassy plain Sajin laid by gave a comforting distraction from the world around him. In his travel to Kenkawa Village, Sajin had probably lost more of his sandals than he expected. By now they looked like they were trampled over by 1,000 horses, resulting in Sajin going barefoot for the rest of the way. Sajin was dipping his feet in the river, and scraping all of the dirt and such off of them from the 2 hour walk towards the village. Relaxation had become a bigger part of Sajin's lifestyle ever since he started traveling and spreading his helpful influence around, something his past self would never have done. The old Sajin would have stayed on his feet and tried his absolute best to look Samurai-Material, all for the sake of his father.

"To live a life where you can smile even in hardship, is a worthy life indeed." Sajin muttered to himself under his Tengu Mask. He noticed it was the first time he spoke today, and to himself as well.

With what little material the sandals had left, Sajin ripped them up and oddly enough placed them over a grasshopper that was lazing about next to Sajin. The sandal made a make-shift hut for the grasshopper, and kept it out of the sun. Sajin smacked his hands together twice, and bowed low to the grasshopper. Snatching up his belongings on the side of the dirt road, and flinging his Mino (Straw Cape) over his shoulders, Sajin set off once more to Kenkawa Village. The soft clunking of the wood masks attatched to the Mino gave Sajin a sort of game to play; make all of the masks clunk together at the same time by walking at a certain speed, and continue it for as long as he possibly could. Tied around his waist with a rope was tiny pots filled with paint he had made the day earlier, picking up berries, twigs, doo-dads and bugs to use as different colors. Held in his left hand was his Katana, quite a beautiful craft but also largely simple in its design. The only oddity was its length was slightly longer than normal Katanas, about an inch or so. Not something any normal person could find out, but a swordsmith could pick up quite quickly by examining it. The last thing Sajin had was the wakizashi that rested on his right hip, which once held weight to Sajin it now only sees itself used for menial tasks such as sculpting with wood.

Any person would naturally mistake Sajin for a monster in the woods if they saw some sort of tall, straw covered blob with multiple faces clanking on its body. Sajin is fully aware of how much trouble he can get himself into, and there were times where he has had to explain to fearful mobs trying to attack him that he is most certainly human. But it has never deterred him from continuing his aesthetic.

Sajin finally saw a clearing through the trees, and was met with something not so pleasant upon bursting from the cage of the forest. Atop a hill he saw a village decimated, shapes looking like bodies strewn about all over and more shapes slowly making their way into a rather large hut. Perhaps he had found his way to Kenkawa Village? He had hoped he wasn't too late, it looked as if he had missed out on quite a scene.
But he shivered as a blood-curdling, scream of wrath and fury pierced the sky. To Sajin, it sounded much like a scream his own mother would give if she found Sajin snooping into troublemaking, and he had been caught red handed. But this was no ordinary scream of some mother shaming her child...Oh no this one was out for blood, for vengeance. He could feel that tense air even up where he was.

Narrowing his eyes, he could see some humanoid shape seeming to get a grip on their shaking. Or rather, furious shaking. That one must be the angry one, Sajin deduced. It took them a few moments, but soon they calmed, and drew into the hut alongside another humanoid shape that seemed to be dappered up in some...blankets? Maybe robes? Sajin wasn't sure. He couldn't see that far. So he considered that shape the blanket one.

"Well...I dont think it's wrong to ask if I'm here...Right?" Sajin asked himself, he needed no answer. He was already making his way down the hill from where he stood down to the village. It was about a minute's skip and hop for Sajin, and when he finally entered the village square, he realized that the shapes strewn about were indeed bodies.. A depressing sight, even for Sajin who lived through a war..Something caught his sight though, rectangular paper slapped onto each body with writing across them. Talismans maybe? Someone seemed kind enough here to give these bodies a ritual. Although Sajin felt a pull towards that large hut, he couldn't deny that magnetic feeling in his body and figuring out the scene would have to wait. Those other shapes moved into the hut, so perhaps he should too... And finally, he stuck his head inside. A long, red nose sticking through, and finally a masked red face peered into the depressing state of the room itself. Multiple people in one hut, and an old woman sitting down talking to them all.

"Pardon my intrusion... But is this Kenkawa Village? My name is Otakemaru Sajin..I'm not quite sure if I'm lost, or if I've made it to the right place."

CatJones CatJones
LadyOfStars LadyOfStars
MocaPoka MocaPoka
Andei Andei

Last edited:
Nobuo
______________________________________________________________​

At the headman’s refusal of his wares (or was it headwoman? he mused) and barely concealed remark regarding his supposed cowardice in battle, Nobuo’s face fell into an appropriately injured expression that to a lesser observer might have seemed unfeigned, though his constantly smiling eyes gave away that it was only in jest.

‘Iwa-obaa-san, you wound m-’

He had barely begun speaking when a knock was heard on the thin wooden frame of the shoji and from behind him the kunoichi whom Nobuo had seen in battle earlier stepped into the dimly-lit interior of the headman’s house. He heard her mutter something under her breath - a mantra he didn’t quite recognise - before she introduced herself as ‘Kasumi’. Nobuo couldn’t resist a smile (he couldn’t even at the best of times) at how fitting it was that a shinobi was named after the elusive mist. Whoever the playwright of this odd narrative was, they enjoyed an apt naming sense to their characters.

Her self-introduction was quickly followed by the entrance of her two companions, whose opening lines were perhaps not quite as affable.

As Nobuo got to his feet to greet them with a respectful bow, the taikomochi took a single glance about him before remarking with the softness and abruptness of a shimmering kimono robe being shorn in two, "This village is cursed."

Well, that's cheery.

“If someone can give me a single bottle of sake… I'll hear out just about any request,” the one-eyed warrior growled, making little to no effort to hide her seething fury at what had transpired by the bridge. He decided as he sat back down that it would be in his best interest to keep to himself the awkward fact that he’d had front-row seats to that particular episode.

"I never thought I would live to see the day where merchants and shinobi entered my house with more grace than nobles and samurai," Nobuo heard Iwa say under her breath. He decided to take that as a compliment.

As she addressed the four of them, her speech was measured and careful. Though she did not say it outright, the implication in the wording of her invitation made it clear that she wanted him to know that any transaction involving money was not on the table.

Still thinking about the whole merchant thing, hm?

‘Well, your company being so generously offered, I for one would gratefully take!’
he said, beaming. ‘Merchant though I might be, not everything has to be about money. Despite what you might think of us, we do have things we believe in apart from the weight of our coin-purse - the weight of words, for example. The weight of… loss.’

The smile slipped somewhat from his eyes as his gaze drifted over the broken tea set to the dull scarlet marks on the floor. In a voice so quiet that it was barely audible to any but Iwa, somewhat gentle but somehow grim at the same time, he murmured, ‘A drop of gold may reunite two halves of a teapot… but not so easy with two halves of a heart, no?’

He looked up at the three new characters who had just stepped onto the stage for this latest scene of their surreal drama. ‘An illustrious company indeed, especially here in Kenkawa. I don’t wish to speak for these honourable ladies and lord, but I am here on account of the village. Sanpo yoshi! Nobuo is here to help.’

"Pardon my intrusion... But is this Kenkawa Village? My name is Otakemaru Sajin..I'm not quite sure if I'm lost, or if I've made it to the right place."

Now that was a voice he didn’t recognise.

When he turned around to see who had spoken, his eyes nearly un-squinted in shock as he saw a long-nosed red tengu mask poking through the gap in the shoji (which the three had evidently not closed behind them when they had entered). After a second’s pause, Nobuo gave a delighted guffaw. ‘And of course!’ he exclaimed. ‘A tengu of the mountain appears on the scene! And why not? Why not, indeed! What a picture we must make!’

Tsu took a deep breath.

Once again her pride was struck by an arrow. This arrow however was far less sharp and stinging compared to the insult the bandit had given her. This was an insult to her manners and one that she was more than familiar with receiving (especially when she had been a teenager back home). The Oba-san was right in her statement as well; Tsu was being rude… but it was hard for her to really care in the current moment.

“I’m Tsu and I’m sorry Oba-san but I’ve had a very bad day.” The female samurai walked over to a corner of the room to sit down. Her blade and sheath put down on her lap ready to draw if she wished in a moment's notice. Another act of rudeness committed as she looked around the suddenly well occupied room filled with a strange gathering to include a masked tengu. It was a rare day when she felt like she wasn’t the weirdest person in the room. Her single green eye came back to old woman however at the mention of sake.

“Deal. On my honor as Tsuruhime of the Sho, I accept. I’d appreciate being able to get one bottle beforehand though. It can even be your smallest. It would improve my day dramatically.” Tsu gave an almost sheepish smile at her request, rubbing the back if her head awkwardly while laughing softly.

CatJones CatJones

Ito Kasumi

download (1).png
Crescent Moon Slayer

Allot was happening all at once. The merchant was a bit of an oddity, like most merchants are. However the enigma that walked through the door wearing a Tengu mask was alarming. The alarm was soothed mildly by the tone in which he spoke, it seemed he was there to help. Relaxing a bit she listened to Tsu Tsu half heartedly apologize and then attempt, again, to get some sake. Kasumi didn't know if she would prefer the drunk Tsu Tsu or this angry sober one. It was a tough choice.

Kasumi listened and waited for her opportunity to speak. Once it arrived she took a seat seiza style close to the old lady, but not close enough to seem familiar. She pulled out a small scroll from her pouch cleared her throat and said, "Oba-san, I was sent here to help your village. Though I am not here to do it for free nor do I ask for coin. I came asking for favors in exchange for my help." she paused to let her words sink in. From what she had gleaned thus far Iwa was not the sort to make rash decisions. After a moment Kasumi continued, "The terms of the favors are written here on this scroll." She placed the rolled scroll on the table in front of the old lady . "I believe you will find the terms to your benefit." she finished giving the old lady time to react.

Of course, having so many arriving at once was both a curse and a blessing. They had seemed to all be of high virtue. The kind of do-gooders that one expects from a mythical tale. Perhaps such a tale would spring up about Kenkawa and it's new arrivals. Iwa felt the ravines and canyons that were the wrinkles on her face flex as she pulled into a slight grin at the thought. People hundreds of years from now telling stories about them. The merchant, Nobuo, was only slowed by the arrival of the others, though even he declared his sword arm for the village. Honestly, what was the man hoping to gain from putting his life on the line in such a backwater place.

And now, someone truly out of this world had arrived. Iwa immediatly assumed he was noh performer. He was tall and well built but the most defining feature was the mask on his face. Nobuo-kun had put it well enough, describing the man as a tengu. Though, few would honestly fall for such a ruse and believe the man before them was truly a heavenly sentinel. Still, he wore a sword. At the least, he was another guardian for the village. Iwa eyed him for a moment, before speaking while she turned back to Nobuo.

"Otakemaru-kun, you are, indeed, in Kenkawa village. I am the head of the village, Iwa. Judging by how you're speaking, you must be here to aid us. I would appreciate it if you removed your mask in my home, but if you have your reasons, I won't demand it." She paused for a second as if she was going to say something else, but instead attempted to reaffirm her attention to the group as a whole.

Still, she wouldn't turn down the help. The village needed every able body that showed up to its doorstep. She was about to accept his help when both the samurai and the shinobi spoke up. The samurai had finally spoken up with her name. And the shinobi was offering her services as well as a scroll. Iwa looked at her, puzzled, but still extended a withered arm to accept it. She opened it close enough to her face to both conceal it from others and so her eyes could actually read it. She scoffed somewhat at it but quickly recovered. She read as she spoke.

"Tsu-dono, I would be happy to accept your help, however I am speaking honestly. I have no sake that is readily available. If you will wait a moment, I can tell you where some is, though." She finished reading, rerolling the scroll and holding it out for the the younger woman to take back. "As for you, Kasumi-dono, your terms are acceptable."

She stood up. It was a lengthy process and she would shoo anyone away if they tried to help, her pride demanding that she can still properly thank others. She stood at her table, at her full height, looking at the assembled group. She wasn't one for speeches and knew she wasn't about to wow them with anything she could say. Only what she could offer them. An obvious bead of sweat rolled down her face, both from lack of nerve and some exertion.

"Thank you. To set aside your own pursuits of glory and help the weakest amongst the country, must be a choice few would make. I have little to offer you; a couple of huts to sleep in, food but its mostly rice and a couple handfuls of coins. But the people of Kenkawa will not forget you. As long as we live, as long as our children live, we will be eternally thankful for your effort. To start, I need a few of you to go into the west woods, and collect the villagers there. Tsu-dono, the people there know where the sake is. They hid it before the bandits arrived to make sure they didn't get any of it and I stayed out of the loop so I couldn't be force to avow that knowledge. Those who don't go to collect the villagers, we must start looking to get back the villagers kidnapped by the bandits. I have reason to believe they are being held at a different camp then the main one.

She paused for a moment to catch her breath and sat back down, another minute long activity, before she continued.

"You all know your own strengths. Facing the bandits is more dangerous, so those not willing to enter the fray should go and see about my villagers in the woods, and those more combat ready should be the ones to face the bandits. But you're also adults. I'll answer any questions you have while you decide who goes where." She leaned back a little, massaging her shoulders as she did so.

Andei Andei
MocaPoka MocaPoka
Ginko The Mushishi Ginko The Mushishi
LadyOfStars LadyOfStars

Ito Kasumi

download (1).png

Crescent Moon Slayer

Kasumi took a moment to take in what the old women had to say. She was elated when her terms were agreed too. I internal sigh of relief took hold. Know all she needed to do was hold up the Ito clans side of the bargain. Kasumi eyed the room at the mention of splitting into two groups. The pretty boy and merchant would be better off looking for the villagers. However, a bit of security in the bandit infested forest was a must.

"I have already fought several of them so I feel I should go with the group that confronts the bandits." she said with confidence. It was true that she had killed a handful of them since arriving in the area but Kasumi was far from confident. She was about to travel into the monsters nest. She was trained in sneak attacks and small scale skirmishes, and this seemed that it could escalate into something much greater, but she needed to keep the pride of the Ito pristine, so could not falter now.

She stood and walked towards the door. Remember your training, remember your training - she thought to herself in her typical mantra. Allot had happened and she needed some fresh air. She had made her choice and now it was up to the rest of them to decide. She would stay near the door within earshot of the conversation. No matter who went where, she would likely scout ahead and use her skills to their fullest. They had not failed her yet.

Tsu gave a long sigh in annoyance. Not only was there no sake close at hand, it was clear she was fully dragged into this conflict with the bandits. Her need for revenge, pride, drinking habits, and the surprisingly good speech from the Oba-san demanded her involvement. She also couldn't help but fell a small amount of admiration for these villagers. Being so weak but still surviving and even having the will to still hide and protect their goods.

"Then I guess I'm off to the west woods. I'd say "hopefully I'll run into the bandits..." but I'd guess that make the chances of me getting that sake more difficult. If the villages are still alive I'll bring them back, stay hidden until I get back Oba-san. Bandits might come back for revenge." With a bored tone Tsu gave her warning and stood.

Looking like a petulant child sent out for a chore, the samurai walked west.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back