• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Kaizoic: Earth Reborn

“Awwww, would have been fun watching that thought.” He said, following Rufus inside. “Well wish us luck.” He offered a quick salute as he entered the building.

The store interior was similar to how it was two days prior, with a noticeably smaller selection of blankets and cloth for sale.
The store owner himself was having trouble carrying Darrek's former rifle to a shelf in the back area behind the counter.
Once he finally managed to place it atop the wooden plank while also standing on a stool, he noticed the two men entering his store.

"You're late." Was his first statement.

Kairo found himself feeling ashamed at how amusing the scene in front of him was. He probably shouldn’t be enjoying Vincent’s struggle to handle the gun, even if he was a bit of a jackass. He tried to keep the laughter in.

“uh we had a few....setbacks.” He croaked out once he felt like he wouldn’t burst out laughing.

"Ran into some . . . I don't know . . . Crooks? That the word you use round here?" Rufus shrugged, unsure of how much of his vocabulary was 10,000 years outdated.

"You were attacked?" Vincent asked, returning to the counter and puffing his pipe.

"Yeah." Rufus stepped forward and leaned on the counter. "And now I'm thinking I want a bonus for my trouble."

"No I don't." Vincent puffed a cloud of smoke in Rufus's face. "I paid you for the job, and you got back. Late, but you got back."

"I recall you mentioning that it would be simple." Rufus retorted. "Getting shot at ain't simple, not to mention my friend getting his head clawed by a son of a bitch lizard.
Way I see it, compensation's due."

Vincent blinked. "You done, fella? Cause I just hear gustling wind."

Rufus glared at the small man. "Not a bargaining man, are you Mr. Boklovitz?"

"Listen here, I already gave you credit for them clothes you're wearing. That was our deal." He puffed out a smaller ball of smoke to the side. "You want bits? Get a job outside Drafisl.
Not many humans in case you hadn't noticed, and Vindav don't use currency."

Rufus stepped back. "Then how the hell-"

"I trade with them and ship the valuables elsewhere. The market's for strict trade."

The gunslinger turned with a huff, muttering quiet curses to himself as he crashed open the door in an aggravated exit.

Kairo half expected this outcome, but it didn’t make it any less challenging to stomach. They’d gone through all that turmoil for what? Nothing but breakfast and a place to sleep for the night. He completely understood how Rufus was feeling as he watched the other man aggressively exit the building.

For a moment, Kairo stood there, not sure of what to do. He wanted to leave, yet that wouldn't really accomplish anything. They'd had to deal with enough already, especially Rufus. He couldn't say watching him storm out so disappointingly like that didn't get to him, because it really did.

Maybe, just maybe if he gave it a shot.

"C'mon Vincent." Kairo asked insistently, swallowing his pride. "I know that you technically don't owe us shit, but we're down in the dumps right now. We've put ourselves in a dangerous position to finish your job, so is there nothing that you could offer us in return?"

Vincent puffed his pipe. "Next time I have a job offer I'll send it your way." He turned and returned to taking inventory on the store.

Kairo opened his mouth, as to argue further, but Vincent had already disappeared into the back. He sighed to himself, rubbing his temples a bit in frustration, before also walking out of the establishment.

Rufus was standing on the porch with his posture leaning against a support beam by the steps. His arms were crossed, and his demeanor foul as he watched passers-by.

Kairo didn’t take long to spot the man, giving him a weary smile as he did.

“Well looks like he hit rock bottom.” Kairo said in a measly attempt at humour. “Hey! That means the only way we can go is up!”

"Save the optimism, Kairo." Rufus rubbed his eyes. "Let's be realists. We're stuck here longer than I figured."

Darrek was across the street behind the row of man-made buildings at the Vindav cook area. Crina was helping the small Archo chefs prep the aromatic sauces, as the Irokai smelled and snuck samples with his claws. After his third tasting, the head chef started cursing in Vindav, and chased him off with hissing snarls.

Kairo could only frown. Rufus was right, their stay in Drafisl was about to become much longer than they expected. A wave of something swept over him, he imagined camp, those few nights he got where he could sit around the campfire with some shitty drink and listen to stories to his hearts content. Maybe when they finally got back, nothing would have changed. The changes seemed slim, but he could hope.

He sat down on the porch step, idolly watching as Darrek was up to his shit. It made him snicker a bit, seeing the irokai get chased away. The mood surrounding them was festive, a far fetched of how he and Rufus were feeling right now.

“Well. Maybe we could find something to do at the festival?” Kairo suggested. “Bunch of these guys coming in probably aren’t Vindav. We could I don’t know? Help some guy run a stand?”

Rufus shrugged.
"Maybe. But we need money right now." He pointed to his gun. "I'm about out of ammo and we can't rely on the kindness of others for long."

"Same plan as before." He nodded. "With one change . . ." He looked over and met Kairo's gaze. "I do the courier gigs solo. Sorry kid, but you aren't as experienced as I am. That scrape with those assholes was too close and I'd rather not have that happen again if I can avoid it."

Oh.

Before he could catch himself, Kairo’s expression soured just enough to be noticeable. To be fair, it only made sense that Rufus was to go at it alone. He understood him. But he still couldn’t shake off the dissapointment. Which he found wasn’t being directed at Rufus in the slightest bit.

He forced a smile on his face, standing up to meet Rufus at eye level. “Yeah, don’t worry. I get it. It’ll be nice to have a rest for A change.” He said, though he wasn’t entirely sure he meant it.

"Rest my ass." Rufus laughed and gestured around him. "You had a point with the festivities. Plenty of work to be had in town, and these folk probably have money to pay.

Not like . . ." He sneered at the store's door in gesture to the owner inside.

He looked back at the door behind him, rolling his eyes as he turned back around. “Tell me you aren’t going to take his jobs again.”

"Doesn't seem like anyone else will." He shrugged. "A courier is a courier. Scarcity drives pay up."

Nearby, a human farmer was exchanging baskets of crops with a Vindav cook in exchange for jars of whatever they were brewing in the thatch roof huts.

“Ehh I mean if he.” He pointed back at the door. “Cared about keeping us, then he probably should have gave something for compensation. unless he knows we’re desperate for cash.”

"He knows, trust me." Rufus assured. "But he's gonna be my problem, not yours.

See if Cräga has any odd jobs that pay. Darrek seems to have put in a good word for us." He made a glance at the humble library where Bom most likely was.
"Or maybe the old man can help you out." The gunman took a step onto the dirt road below the porch. "I'm going to meander about with these farmers and see what I can dig up.

Don't wait up." He dismissed himself with a subtle wave and started walking alongside the wagon traffic of Drafisl, his hands in his pockets.

Kairo threw the peace sign at Rufus as he left, the smile on his face slowly fading as Rufus’s figure slowly disappeared. It hadn’t been long since he was last alone, but he’d gotten used to being on Rufus’s side that it almost felt alien. He sighed to himself, taking a look around the town. He’d probably have to get used to this place, because he had no clue how long Rufus would be out on his next job.

He was still pretty sour about that, which he didn’t truly understand. He never was a survivalist, so it made sense that Rufus would go on the job alone, but he couldn’t help but feel something deep inside him aching. He wasn’t a liability, was he?

No. Maybe he was outside of civilization, but here, he could really do something here. Besides, they’d be making more this way He pushed the thought deep into the corners of his mind and began walking towards the library. Cräga was great, but he still wasn’t sure if he had the nerve to work with her for long amounts of time. Reaching the library, he walked up the front, and openned the door.

The library was devoid of activity, despite the growing traffic outside, and quiet aside from the clank of wooden wheels on the muddied road.
The dull-colored Kendian was sitting at a corner desk by a sunny window, his snout buried in a tattered scroll. He wore the multi-lense glasses atop his brow which made his misty blue eyes humorously magnified from Kairo's perspective.

The library remained much like his previous visit. A vast sea of scrolls and shelves with little patrons to make use of it. Libraries had been a dead relic in the previous world too, but seeing how terminals and projectors weren't really a thing anymore, he would have thought a place like this would have gotten more attention.

He quietly closed the door to the library, before looking at the Kendian in question. Bom was studious as ever, enough so that Kairo wondered if he'd even heard him come in.

"Hey." He called. "Guess who's back."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back