• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

June Prose Competition Information

Finding Prometheus - Prompt based on Hope (and hope being turned into confusion)

Contrasting the utilitarian and angular style of human craft, the architecture and design of the tomb ship was extraordinarily ornate and every surface within the dead ship harbored countless curves and arbitrary designs meant to enhance aesthetics while leaving functionality unobstructed. As foreign as the ship was, what astounded the crew more than anything was the age of the well preserved vessel. The readings, taken by exploratory probes, had estimated the age of the deceased beauty at roughly fifty thousand years, long before even the earliest recorded human civilizations.

Within the silence of the dead vessel, the ground crew that had delved into the torn hull of the craft admired the beautiful gilded artwork inlaid upon the walls of the main causeway. Carvings made from the rarest materials known to man flowed in a river of expert craftsmanship, glittering dully in the somber glow provided by the light strips upon the helms of the spacefarers. Etched in gold of both pale white and metallic yellow lay scenes of glory, honor, and courage, displayed in finery for the explorers to admire while also giving the human crew insight into the naval history of beings long since perished within the harsh vacuum of the small moon.

With hardly a word spoken during the course of the journey from stern to bow, the group of pioneers came to a halt before a massive and ornately furnished pair of doors that lay before the bridge of the boomerang shaped vessel. As if choreographed, the members of the group aligned themselves before the doorway in a broken line, admiring the impressively detailed carvings that decorated the metal surface of the elegant, yet imposing gate that lay before them.

Within the center of the tapestry where the two halves of the door came to meet, a perfectly round stone of pure onyx lay embedded within the gilding, symbolizing the black hole at the heart of the Milky Way's galactic disc. The volcanic rock served as a perfect antithesis to both the somber gems and dull yellow gold that twisted around it's black surface, each one colluding with the other to form the swirling rivers of stars that one would see if looking at the galaxy from afar.

The first mate wondered to himself if they had crafted the artwork from merely a hypothetical point of view or if they had crafted the beautiful piece after coming to know what the Milky Way truly looked like from an outsider's perspective, a technological feat that would require knowledge of space travel far exceeding that of even the quickly expanding human race.

As the first mate turned to signal his demo man to breach the door, a panel on the right side of the massive gate came to life.

From a hidden lens by the small panel's housing, a thin crossbeam of light scanned the line of pioneers that had arranged themselves before the doorway, reading each one before flickering into non existence once more.

Against the anxious expectations of the crew, instead of triggering some further security measure, the electronic panel emitted a high pitched note. Then, as if held in hibernation, the doorway came to life with the dull vibration of gears and ancient electrical systems, long since frozen in time.

The doorway held it's position without movement, sending nervous thoughts through the minds of the crewmen, but after a short time, as if on cue, the two halves split down the middle, releasing thousands of near microscopic particles, each one floating outwards from the crevice of the portal, settling slowly upon the deck before the spacefarers in the low gravity of the small moon. Several seconds passed with the door open by only a hair's width, giving the first mate cause to turn to his demolitions man once more in order to prep explosives, but as he turned his neck to face him, the massive blast doors parted ways in one smooth motion, peeling back to reveal the pure darkness of the bridge.

As the crew cautiously stepped through the doorway, light strips older than the Book of Genesis came to life, flickering on one by one, casting their callous luminescence onto the round bridge of the ship from the domed ceiling high above the explorers.

Gradually, after the initial shock and denial became lost in the wake of time, the eyes of the crew came to accept what the light had revealed, and with this revelation, the men began to disperse and break from one another in their disbelief. Some leaned against the walls of the cylindrical room, unable to support themselves with their legs alone, while others stepped back into the hallway to digest the implications of their discovery, and one fully turned from the sight, unable to accept the new reality of the human race. What their reactions lacked in solidarity, their emotions shared, for each one struggled equally to understand what they had come to find within the heart of the ancient ship.

Unlike the motley crew of marines, geologists, astronomers, and biologists that he led, the first mate of the UNSF Columbus stood motionless, seemingly unaffected by the sight, but despite his outwards calm, within his mind raced the thoughts of a man lost within a universe once understood.

After a few dozen seconds, the lights of the control room stabilized, halting the incessant flashing and sputtering that the crew had grown accustomed to, leaving the first humans to arrive in the Alpha-Centauri system within an awkward vacuum devoid of motion or radio chatter. In an almost hesitant manner, the crew turned to face one another, each one staring at the others with a mixture of confusion and wonder, lacking words in the aftermath of the discovery. For within the ancient and infinitely advanced ship that they had found almost five light years from Earth, the seemingly fresh corpses of humans lay strewn about the bridge, perfectly preserved for over fifty thousand years within the absolute vacuum of the airless moon.

Last edited by a moderator:
DemonKitten said:
Do the emotions have to be what is shown or can they be any
Dis:

Elle Joyner] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/13524-sunbro/ said:
@Sunbro[/URL] - Absolutely use an emotions you'd like :)

Idk if I like mine enough... I like the concept, but I think I'm going to have to write like twenty more. Wish I had someone to read over it and tell me

Walking seeing the city with its deadly atmosphere, being filled with a smog so big it concealed the whole city. Felt grossed out seeing bodies laying in every corner of all ages and shapes and no one cared, I kept on going. Living in a world where being selfless doesn't exist, felt unfair, because the world became one of snatch and steal, where many suffered and few were saved. In my journey I have encountered as many strange things as the stars above. Which amount to not only their numbers but how they glimmer at first and then disappear leaving nothing but dust behind. I’m Ethan, and I’m on a journey to save my brother that began 7 months ago when I left home to find the one and only medicine that could save my brother.

In 1865 a great magician died protecting the recipe to create a Vial, a strange bottle to be used to treat ill people, called it “Trance”. These bottles held the power to seal pain inside them, to ease the departure of the ill. The great magician was loved and worshipped for his kind inventions and good deeds, till one day he disappeared leaving nothing but drunken trails. Many suffered the loss of their healer, some died looking for him, some accepted their fate, and the worse who vowed to find him. Not long after, few travelers came across a carriage in the deep woods. Burned to crisp, but still firmly standing as if it has its own will. Carried by their curiosity many tried to approach it, but felt dizzy and dropped unconscious several feets away. Bewildered the travelers kept on trying till one day, a bearded man came. Hungry for a challenge he took his journals and studied the strange event happening, nothing could reach the carriage. Day and night, he stood there doing nothing but studying it until one day. He walked toward the carriage dignified, reaching the carriage door and calmly placing his palm on the door knob. The carriage broke scattering into black dust. Nothing laid there, but a body holding a small paper, sealed with a warning. “I’m a cure to those in need, an illness for the greedy”, the bearded gentlemen took the paper and left leaving a simple quote to those curious of his success, “Being human is the ultimate disability”. Then left the ones behind more curious than ever.

In 1880 small magical bottles went on sale, empty but filled with the power to snatch someones emotion, personality, or whats left of their human-selves. Hungry for power, the people started buying, stealing, even murdering to get hold of these vials. The world soon begun to crumple and fall with empty bodies lurking the land for a piece of their humanity back, where encountering a vial holder is already too late. The vial works as fast as snapping your fingers, running is futile. Breaking the vial before consuming it is the only way of retrieving what has lost.

Hiding on dark corners, holding the one piece that could save my brother. The forbidden vial, getting this vial was no simple feat. It’s as the name implies, a sin of a human. On my way to acquiring it I have already lost most of my humanity. The many encounters were life threatening, yet I made it. I have to be back in time before Luke, my brother dies. The brick road began to shine reflecting the street light, seeing the flicker of hope I knew I could find no greater opportunity to escape this city than now. Smog, rain, and in the middle of the night, I could be out before sunrise. Following the path of the lightly lit road I felt a great presence fell up the street. Feeling afraid, the emotion overcome me when suddenly it disappeared just like that. It was snatched faster than the time between a steps. I had no time to waste so I fled. “One less useless emotion”, I muttered to myself as I passed the abounded shops and homes of the departed. Making my way out of the city was easy, coming to it was a lot harder, I had to mend pots to make a living in the day, and search for the cure at night. I had little sleep, and barely any food. Finally after 7 months and 11 days I managed to snatch the forbidden vial of fresh life. The essence of a young born. If I had any empathy I would’ve stopped myself, but I had already lost it two cities before.

Finding my way back was a lot easier seeing I know the lay of the land a lot better, walking day and night, sleeping with my eyes open hoping no one would steal the vial I grew tired day by day. Finally, I could see the town. After losing so much, I was glad I’m close. I was happy I had not lost my one emotion that drove me all the way back. The ability to Care, my brother ray of hope. Filled by joy, I slowly began to walk towards my home. Being this close I began feeling the fatigued I had kept away for months, that soon disappeared. Joyous I cried, that soon disappeared. I felt despair, that soon disappeared. I felt sadness, that disappeared. I didn’t want any, all I wanted was to save my brother. An easy target I kept moping toward the house, standing in front the door it hit me, I didn’t bother anymore. The me my twin brother looked up to, was standing lifeless at his front door. Ethan soon fell on his knees, having little to go on soon began to wither away. The Vial broke a step away, not knowing that it was already too late Ethan departed in fragmented memories. It was too late, Luke only emotion keeping him alive was stolen long before Ethan’s arrival, his willpower.

So the basic rule is we have to write a story with 750-1000 words inspired from the given image above? I want to join so I'll appreciate if you'll give me a response. 。◕‿◕。

Asterio said:
So the basic rule is we have to write a story with 750-1000 words inspired from the given image above? I want to join so I'll appreciate if you'll give me a response. 。◕‿◕。
Yes that is correct :) .

DemonKitten said:
Idk if I like mine enough... I like the concept, but I think I'm going to have to write like twenty more. Wish I had someone to read over it and tell me
I'm planning on entering this event as well, but if you're comfortable with the idea we could critique our respective entries through PM?

Here's mine. Enjoy. If there's any mistakes, please excuse them, will rectify them later.

Little Jenny was walking through the bustle that was the market, a wide, innocent smile decorating her childish face. The Regional Fair was, perhaps, the biggest event of the year, when farmers, artisans and craftmen from all over the County would come and display their goods. Fruits and vegetables, both firm and frail, their juiciness attracting many a child’s eye. Fine works of art, such as oil paintings and painted pottery were put on show for the possible patrons. The streets were so crowded, it made strolling up and down the paved roads almost impossible without bumping into some handsome stranger, or lovely maiden.

Jenny couldn’t afford herself a stall, so she was needed to sell her wares by walking around and shouting aloud for all ears to hear her: “Come get your Happiness! Come get your Hope! We have Love, too! Come now!”. Her squeaky voice carried with it the distinctive tune of youth and hope. Her emerald eyes were darting left and right after possible customers. Unlike her fellow salesmen, Jenny cared little for the size of their pouches. Her small frame did her big heart injustice, for all the little girl really cared about was making the world a better place, not enriching herself.

After shouting about for a while, Jenny was finally approached by a tall man, with a ravishing moustache and a belly to rival one of Ol’ Janner’s giant ale barrels. With a snarky tone, he inquired: “What have you there, lil’ one?”.

Jenny quickly jumped to the occasion and opened the rather large, brown leather bag she was carrying with her and displayed its contents. In it, dozens of small, brightly colored vials sparkled in the golden threads of light, raining down on their heads. “They’re liquid emotions, kind ser! Just a sip from one o’ them can change your life! Would you like to purchase one?”

The man quirked a brow, skeptically. By his tanned skin, it was obvious he hailed from one of the more distant lands, separated by the furious seas. Jenny noticed this, so she concluded the stranger needed no Bravery from her. Stretching out a hand towards the bag, before Jenny could protest in any way, the man snatched a bottle from the bunch, bringing it before his eyes and studying it rigurously. “You say this sparkly fluid will make feel whatever I want to?”.

“Aye!” she replied, her face donning an expression of pure joy. “That’s Selflessness you got there!” she said, pointing her gentle finger at the purple, swirling mass. Taking a quick look around him, the tall outlander spotted a lone beggar, hiding himself from the hot sun in the shade cast by a neighbouring tree. “You mean if I drink this, I will feel kind towards that lazy, pathetic scum over there?”.

Jenny shrugged at the man, her face now showing nothing but a detached attitude. “It will, but only if you truly want it to.”. The stranger frowned at her apparently cryptic words. Throwing another glance at the beggar, the man reached inside the pouch, which was hanging by his left side, strapped to his belt, grabbing a coin and flicking it at Jenny. While the girl was gawking over the doubloon, the outlander popped open the small vial and took a quick sip of the brew.

What happened next startled every single person in the immediate surrounding. The man let out a terrifying shriek, his eyes wide with shock. Before anyone could start questioning this sudden outburst, the man started laughing. From the crowd, another figure, similar to the one that bought the vial, emerged. Swiftly coming up to the first, the second one, shorter in stature and lacking a large stomach, panickly asked: “Father, what is it?! What ails you?!”.

Still laughing, the alleged father responded: “My son, worry not! Your father has found what he was looking for!”. While his son was still confused, the tall stranger grabbed his coin pouch and ripped it to shreds with his bare hands. The cascade of round pieces of gold fell down in multiple waves, the whole show being watched by the dozens of witnesses.

“COME! COME, YOU, PEOPLE IN NEED! Ever since I have first tasted the sweetness of coin, I’ve never parted with one needlessly. But now, my greed has been cured! And the person responsible of this, is right here!” he shouted as he pointed at Jenny. “Come! Come and join in my happiness!” the man said one last time, before the people started heading, one by one, to the little girl, out of curiosity, each with their own request. Some wanted Happiness, others wished for Empathy, while some longed for Love.

The sun had set for hours, when little Jenny arrived at her humble abode. Her bag was now empty. She had managed to sell her entire stock for the week in one day. She hadn’t even dared to dream she would accomplish such a feat. Yet another day had passed in which she had kept her promise to her parents.

When she was old enough to understand, her parents, kind people themselves, made her promise to never wrong any person, or make them sad. Even after they had passed away, months ago, from an unknown illness, Jenny still respects her given word to her parents. Entering the backyard, she headed towards the two gravestones that dominated the garden.

“I did it, mommy and daddy!” she said, falling to the ground, weary of walking with her only leg. Brushing the gravestones with her hands, her eyes couldn’t help but weep as she sighted her two missing fingers from an accident some time ago. Despite her broken body, her spirit still stood strong.

You see, to prevent people from being sad and to uphold her promise, Jenny shared all the joyful emotions she had with the world, while keeping none for herself. Afterall, Happiness was much more easy to sell than Sadness.

Update

Due to some confusion and the sheer amount of interest we've had, we have decided to make a separate entry thread Here! Please submit all of your entries to that thread instead of this one. If you have already posted your entry here, don't worry.... it has been received and you do not need to re-post it unless you would like to!

LOL NO FREAKIN WAY

I just did a word count in open office to see if I went over the limit, turns out I'm at exactly 1000 words.

(B')

I wasn't even going for a thousand either, I was gonna write what felt natural and then cut away what I could live without, so I'm HYPED that I get to keep everything I wrote.

@marorda : xD I wish we could take claim for such wits, but alas, that wasn't the reason. It's quite common for competitions such as this to ask only for 1000 words or similar; and plus it keeps things nice and concise and means we don't have tons and tons to read through :')

Loving the amount of hype so far folks, lets keep that rolling!

I suppose for short contests 1000 words is quite normal indeed. I've never participated in site-contests before xD

The only contests I've parcitipated in were large, off site contests, with a 12.000 word limit.

The only things that might count as contests I participated in, were contests on another site. Contests made by users. And they often had no limits on their contests, as the entries were very limited.

I hope it's different here. I haven been on here for almost a year, but I haven't seen any contests. So unless this is a new thing, I missed quite a bit xD

I'm writing on my entry now. I know myself well enough that I can easily write a story in one day/night. But today I'll see how far I get, as it's a bit late on the evening, and I wo'nt have a lot of time this weekend xD

@marorda : There was an art contest a month or two ago but it didn't really take off. Other than that, you haven't missed much. But don't worry, there's more where this came from; the fellows and mods and admins are planning more stuff for the near future! And don't worry about posting it as soon as possible; take your time and make sure you've edited it enough to be happy with it :)

Ooh! More stuff! I live more stuff.

Can't wait to see what you're planning for the users :3

Well, this is going fine. 863 words, and still one "part" to go.

Now I must see to squeeze that into 137 words, or start deleting stuff...

I did it! I actually did it~ :D

For God's sake

I've had to fight so many feels because of just about every single entry posted publicly thus far

I've got something! I just have to go and revise and edit a few more times and I can post it! ^o^ WOOP

OMG YUUUSS NEW IDEA TO ADD MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA > :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back