• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Island of Heroes (Open)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here

Melon Bomb

hi i make bad decisions
Makuran, Alowan Calendar Year 1119

Inamori_Ryusa.jpg

A set of sparkling hazel eyes stared down the marble stairs of her home, bathed in the faint shadow of proud white stone houses. She took a deep breath, and gripped the bag on her shoulder with a smile. This was the last time she'd ever see this place again. Chioran looked back at her family and aimed her brightest smile at them.

"Come on... Let's go!" She felt her mother's delicate touch in her left hand, and her father's strong but gentle embrace in her right hand, and as one, they descended the paved ivory hills.

Today marked the 330th Star Falling Festival, a yearly celebration dedicated to the sendoff of restless Makurans who sought a new life in the world leagues below their peaceful floating island. As luck would have it, she would experience very little of the 'festival' part; the party didn't start until the bottles were popped well into the afternoon, long after they had already departed.

A cool breeze swept through the street as warm sunlight settled upon them. Children excitedly jumped over fences and chased one each other in the well-kept alleyways, twists and turns accentuated by the echoing squeak of their shoes against the tiles. Down below, dozens of families gathered in the main square around the fountain like colorful little dots. She hurried to join them, leaving her parents to catch up as she curiously surveyed the faces of her peers who would soon be joining her. There were a lot of people this year... most years saw only a handful of people leaving, sometimes even none. This too, was surely a sign. She brushed her fingers against the freshly picked flowers in her hair, fiddling with the hem of her clothes self-consciously.

"Everyone here is so much prettier than me..." Chioran muttered to herself, staring gloomily down at her comparatively homely dress. I wanted to stand out but, not like this... I underestimated the competition! Well, whatever. What matters is heart, right? As long as I can show off down there, it's no big deal.

She turned her attention westward. When the next bell tolled, that big gate would open and their adventure into a new world would finally begin! She just knew deep inside, that a fairytale like dream awaited them...

Fhouajan Woods, Saint Galus Calendar Year 789

"HELP ME! SOMEONE, HELP!" Signal lights faded in and out in the distance, between the thickets. A disheveled imperial scout frantically ripped branches out of his path with scratched fingers and stumbled over winding roots, gasping with each step as animalistic footsteps closed in behind him. His boots hit the ground as though he were forging through quicksand, the thick mud dragging down at his soles like earthen hands. "No, no, no no, NO, NO- AGHHHHHH!" A white blur bolted past him and suddenly he crashed into the forest floor shoulder first.

Disoriented, his eyes widened in shock as his senses slowly returned. His right arm was gone. Looking up in horror, a crystalline white wolf stood before him with a bloodied limb clamped between its razor sharp jaws. It spit out the arm like discarded prey and growled, advancing menacingly. The scout tried to scream again, and not a sound escaped his lips.

"Y-you... you were... we're on your side...! Why are you doing this to us!?" His eyes pleaded with the beast, but it was deaf to his cries. He balled his spared hand into a fist as tears streamed down his face. "We gave you everything you wanted!" he screamed, lurching forward. "Money! Power! Everything! What the hell do you want!?" Reaching forward with the last of his strength, a swirling ball of flame radiated in his open palm and blasted outward, striking the wolf square in the face in a burst of brilliant sparks. As the smoke cleared, his heart dropped. It was completely unharmed.

Baring its teeth, the beast howled a piercing cry. The scout's flesh rapidly turned to ice, creeping deeper and deeper until he was nothing more than a human statue. Yet the howl persisted -- the petrified scout splintered and fractured under the pressure before shattering like glass. Nothing was left of the man but indistinguishable chunks of ice and his frost-touched messenger bag. The wolf lowered its head, exhaling a thick cloud of frosty breath.

From behind a tree a young native girl witnessed it all, trembling with fear. The wolf met her gaze. It remained still for a few, long moments, and then carried on as if it had never seen her.

-

Vol Vol egglover egglover obscured_light obscured_light Kassandra Kassandra PiePillager PiePillager Topless Topless

Last edited:
There once was a time when Bhara did buy into the fantasy of leaving Makuran for a life of grand adventure, fulfilling her destiny as Toren, as a protector of the innocent. But she grew out of those fairy tales, and held the Falling Star Festival in the same regard that one might witness a human sacrifice with. A human sacrifice she was lined up to offer herself to. The fools, she thought. They think anything's changed? Power is a death sentence down there, it always will be. I just hope they're willing to wake up in time to fight for their lives.

Truly, that was what Bhara assumed was waiting for them down there. By now, she was certain the world below them had begun recording the dates and times Neten had descended from above, and that while Makuran reveled in its jubilance, past generations crossed the threshold straight into ambushes, only to be slaughtered on the spot. How many people could she get behind her shield in time, and how long before they cut her down, too? A morbid train of thought, to be sure, but the coming weeks had been spent by Bhara preparing herself for several harsh realities. That she would never again return home. That they were venturing into unfamiliar lands, with enemies as far as the eye could see. And that as soon as they went through the gates, there was a very big change they'd face an army who'd spent just as much lifetime preparing to slay this year's hatch of helpless Toren.

Bhara was ripped out of her mind by the weight of her trusty shield, which someone had somewhat forcefully nudged in passing on her way to the festival. She shot a glance in their direction, but between joking with their friends and the gentle melodies of a musician playing outside for passersby, the offender was oblivious. Just as well. It wasn't like she'd ever get the chance to confront them.

Despite being somewhat late to the gathering, she secured a place to stand beside one of the Toren she knew would be going down with her. Chioran, whom Bhara had mentally begun to refer to as Makuran's poster child. As expected, her worries had about as much depth as their home island in relation to the oceans below, eyes trained on what she was wearing, like she was worried about making a good impression with their oppressors. And yet, she couldn't bring herself to anger towards her innocence. It wasn't her fault they'd been spoon-fed fantasies as fact.

1615155876145.png
There was a cacophony of bird cries as a group of bird demihumans followed one green demihuman in particular. She held her head high, wings close, as the sunlight lit the golden patches of skin. The dark green and brown fabric of the blouse also shone among the plainer fabrics the demihumans behind her wore. After all, it was her day. The day she would descend from the heavens.
"You can still change your mind," an elder birdwoman gently reminded Yrshta as they walked towards the main square. "We can call this whole thing off. You can stay safe and-"

"And I would remain in boredom and the people below in suffering," Yrshta reminded her a little more tersely. "We have had our own celebration. It would put our people's own efforts to waste, mother."

The older birdwoman nodded glumly but said no more as the procession continued. They arrived to the throng of people also bidding their loved ones goodbye. There was someone, however, that Yrshta needed to say hello to. She looked around but did not see his face yet. Her mother saw this and smiled sadly.

"You two are inseparable," she said with a small chuckle as Yrshta shot her a bright grin before resuming her search. "I'm sure Bib will be here soon. Be patient."

THE FALLING OF STARS, LITERALLY.
Interactions: N/A (Free to interact)

A young boy, no, technically he was considered a man with his age now, sat on the railings lining the stairs that led down to the bustling main square. His bare toned legs swung lazily back and forth, impatiently. The sandals that he had pretended to leave his home with was hidden underneath the doormat. Konan had rushed ahead early to see how the going-on's of this particular festival would go. For he was one of stars that were going to descend from their sky fortress.

It wasn't so different to the other festivals, he supposed; the same merriment, the same games, the same food. Konan would be lying if he boasted about not missing this. Though he was sure the valley below would have their own festivals, but they would be different. He figured he didn't care if it was a negative kind of different, but that was because he was confident he could tackle the unknown down there.

A clap on his back almost made him fall forward and he growled a "hey!" at the initiator -- only to choke it back when the same hand pinched his cheek.
"You are not going down there with no footwear, do you hear me, Ko?" Zaya, his mother, scolded him as she waved the sandals in his face.
"Yes I am, and you won't be able to stop me, mom." He retorted but grabbed the sandals anyway and begrudingly slipped them on.

Zaya shook her head and exhaled through her nose in mock frustration, before grabbing his arm so he couldn't run off again.
"Hold on a second, your tunic wasn't sleeveless--"
"They got burned off, like all my sleeved stuff do?"
"Only because you burn them off. Then what about your pants?"
"Shorts now -- Mom, you know I hate covering up, I'm a literal furnace all the time"

Their usual bickering continued as they walked down the stairs together. With Zaya's firm grip on his shoulder, she could feel the excitement bubbling and boiling within her child, despite the snarky attitude he held.

She suddenly pulled him to a halt, and he jerked backwards with a scowl.
"I know you've been wanting this for a long time--"
"Not this again, we've just talked about this yesterday night, and the yesterday before that, and the--"
"Ko. I will miss you, you know this."

Konan sighed. He didn't want to think about it, because he knew it'll definitely put a dampen his mood. This was a time to be hyped up, to be fearless, to not have second thoughts on staying.

"You're only saying that because you're my mom,"
"Yes and I love you. As much trouble you are, I know you have a good heart. I hope, whatever is down there, can help you make it grow."
"That's...really gross,"
"Don't you forget what you promised me either, Ko. What you promised that you will definitely do down there."
"Yeah, yeah."

Zaya smiled but when Konan looked up at her, his shoulder's sagged slightly. Her eyes were a pool of exhaustion, worry and fear. Konan bit his lip and sighed dramatically, before pulling her down into a warm hug.
"Love you too, mom. Thanks for letting me go. I, um, guess, will miss you too." This is definitely going to make him miss her.

The older woman laughed into his fiery mop of hair before giving him a kiss on the forehead, which he responded with a "bleh". There was a quiet moment between them and both cherished it -- Konan wasn't sure what his mother was thinking at the time. But his thoughts wondered how she would fare when he was gone; Makuran was safe, of course, but with him and dad gone...

"Alright that's enough, don't get all clingy to me now," Zaya chuckled as she pinched his cheek one more time, and started pushing him towards the main square where the other Toren would have to stand.
"Don't die down there without telling me, you hear?" Her commanding yet playful tone was back, and Konan internally burned the choked up feeling building up within his throat.

"I'm not gonna die anytime soon, figured my life's just beginning. Don't you die from loneliness, you hear?" He copied her mock tone at the end to mask how serious he really meant it.

Eventually Zaya stopped pushing him forward and he found himself walking on his own without the reassuring hand on his back. He looked back for a moment, seeing his mother wave energetically before making a bowl shape with one hand and a up and down movement -- a gesture that she was going to get something to eat. A little wisp of flame burned at the edges of his ginger hair as he rolled his eyes at that.

Two folk were already standing to what he believed to be the designated spot. Sure, he'd watch this ritual happened before, but it's different when it was you performing it. Konan recognised Chioran, a few years older than he but definitely more beautiful. He wondered why she was wearing something so pretty, a dress, to the descent. Although he wasn't one to talk, with only a sleeveless tunic (that he definitely would discard later) and shorts. Though the other person, a woman, seemed dressed for a battle. He kind of remembered her, a passing name told to him by his father. Barbara? Baru? Whatever.
Either way, he stood a distance from them, conflicted whether to join them or just stand by himself.

Last edited:
"I can't believe the day has finally come." Says a nobleman as he, along with his wife, accompany their servant Luna to the square as the time of her departure nears. "It has been only months now, and I can't say that this will be the last time that you'll be here on my side. I'll definitely miss your singing." The nobleman said which made Luna flattered. "Master...I would like to thank you for giving me the honor of serving you as like my previous. But because I will never see you again, to whom shall I lend my services to? To whom shall I give my voice to?" Luna is having doubts. "Luna..." The wife spoke "Your old master has taught you how to make decisions. Since you will be going along with the other send-offs, I would suggest serving one that you think is best. Keep in mind that not all masters are good people, so be very wary of whom you serve." Luna nods in agreement.

Upon arriving at the square, her eyes gazes on the other people who will be venturing out to the world below. One of them is Chioran and just by looking at her, she has decided who she shall serve for the meantime. "Since you'll be gone now, someday you will be reunited with your previous master, my brother. I can just imagine how heartfelt it would be when you meet him again." The nobleman said.

(Open for interaction)​

Through the thicket of legs, nestled within the heart of the enormous crowd, the legendary warrior Ettna stood with her arms on her hips. Age did not show itself much on a snakeman, yet the famed sword master was getting on in years and weariness showed in her eyes - wrinkled from years of incredulous squinting - as she stared up at her tall son who towered over her short, stout self. She trusted her son to be safe of course (after all he was her son), but Ettna would never show the deep seeding pain in her chest of seeing her firstborn for the last time.

Bib, however, was much unlike his mother. His face held a large, infectious smile as he held each of his many siblings in his arms, one by one, saying goodbye to all of them. His face showed genuine expressions of love and sadness, but also of excitement. Change was something that this generation of snakemen were not familiar with, but change was in their blood. He turned to his mother last and gave her a guilty smile. She simply squinted up at him.

"You will be safe, Bibbast," Ettna said at last, refusing to pull her son into a long hug or shed any tears, "I taught you well."

"You did, mama," Bib nodded, "I will be safe."

The old woman gave him a single, satisfied nod and reached into her pocket, pulling out a carved wooden amulet of a snake. It's eye glimmered with a beautiful amber stone. Bib stared at it in awe.

"This is now yours," she handed him the necklace and placed a green hand atop of his, "Look after it."

Bib gave her a sad smile, "I will."

As she watched her tall, lumbering son stumble carefully through the crowds away from his family, Ettna would feel a pang of something familiar. This was not the first time she had ever said goodbye.

"Yrshta - oh um, excuse me..." Bib called out from behind, accidentally shoving and tripping over people as he pushed through the crowd. A women glared up at him as he knocked her down onto the ground, "Sorry, so sorry. Hello Yrshta!"

Chioran held her pocket mirror up, away from the sunlight. Her own smiling visage looked back at her... and she felt disgusted.

Her fingers nearly clamped the mirror shut in recoil. Her heartbeat picked up, and a sense of warm anxiety filled up inside of her. Huh? Why did she think that just now? She blinked a few times, and saw that her smile had all but disappeared. Never, in her twenty-three years of life, had such a strange feeling washed over her. What was that about? It wasn't like she'd been stressing out, but maybe anticipation of the big day had left her more high strung than usual. Pinching her brow, she let out a small sigh and began fixing her bangs and adjusting her collar, when a familiar face suddenly emerged in the reflection. Her smile returned as if it had never gone.

"Bhara!" she exclaimed proudly. Chioran clapped her own bicep and beamed widely. "You look cool! I'm jealous." She tilted her head left and right, checking nosily behind her. "Are your folks around? I'm assuming you're here to see off a friend. Or maybe..." She pointed to herself with a childish lean. "...me?"

Straightening out her back, she pushed a curl of hair behind her ear and wore a knowing smirk, patting the handguard of her sword. "Kidding. That shield looks like you mean business. Change of heart? Didn't expect to see you of all people prepping for the Star Falling. Thought you were more of the, uh... bookish type."

-

Kassandra Kassandra

The zebra didn't see it coming. A direct shot to the face and then it was down. Payback, that's what it was about. Thought it could steal some bread and run, did it? Not so. Not even that jaguar could get away. Still, Tepeyoll was no poor sport. Getting even was getting even. He extended a hand in friendship and lifted the Zebra back up with it. And then gave it the remaining bread so it understood. They were now friends and would not steal from one another ever again. But there was another matter. A secret and Tepeyoll would hear it.

There were hunters in the midst...yes, Tepeyoll could smell them. Saw piercing yellow eyes through the veil. Hunters that didn't hunt. Maybe demons in disguise. But even more strange, the voices in the distance. Friend or foe? He would have to find that out for himself. After all, he was a hunter too. But he did not hunt for sustenance or prize but for signs. The signs of the gods.

Ducking into the frosty forestry, he hid with the night hounds. If they turned on him, he would harm them in turn. But if not, they would be left alone. These were the rules of nature.

Bhara's eyebrow betrayed her curiosity. Had her eyes deceived her? Chioran's face looked like it had twisted into some foreign emotion, at least foreign to the happy-go-lucky girl she'd come to get more familiar with in the last few weeks. She could seldom remember times that the blonde ever even had a neutral look on her visage, let alone one even resembling displeasure. Too bad it disappeared as soon as she noticed it, as quickly as the sound of the abruptly-snapping clasp of her pocket mirror dissipated. Even worse, Bhara had accidentally locked eyes with her in that fraction of a second through the reflection. Not wanting to get into whatever personal issues she was having, she pretended she hadn't been looking at all.

"Thanks. No, my parents are at home. They, uh... They don't know I'm going. Wouldn't agree," she dismissed the issue with her tone, only partially lying. The truth was, they really wouldn't have approved of her leaving, but only because they were aware of her faithlessness in the world below. Such an attitude like hers, they feared, would only stress what little interactions the people of Makuran had with the rest of Alatoa.

"The thing is... I'm worried. The people who go through these gates don't ever come back, so we don't have a clue about what life is life for Toren down there. Tradition's all well and good, but it feels to me like a lot of people have just conveniently forgotten what made our ancestors hide up here in the first place," Bhara spoke in hushed tone, not wanting to cause an upset. Chioran's steadfast positivity, in her opinion, was the only temperament around that was strong enough to brush off Bhara's concerns like they were nothing. "Think of me as an extension of my shield once we're down there. I'm going to protect my people, first and foremost. I'll leave the rest to you guys until I know we're safe."

- Melon Bomb Melon Bomb

Yrshta turned to see the source of the commotion. The birdwomen beside her also moved away in fear of being knocked down as Bib approached with apologies. Her mother gave a small sigh but Yrhsta grinned from ear to ear as she waved to her friend, running over to meet him. Her wings expanded and he was embraced by feathers as she gave him a big hug.

"Bib!" she yelled with excitement as she released him, keeping her wings somewhat outstretched to keep strangers from getting too close. "You're here! Are you excited!? I'm excited! We get to help all those people down there! Did your mom already see you off? "

As she had been chatting with Bib, Yrshta's mother came up from behind her and delivered a swift bonk to Yrshta's head with her wing. Yrshta looked back annoyed but paused when she saw the gathering of birdwomen waving as they began to leave. Yrshta's own mother looked like she was ready to burst into tears again. Instead of addressing her daughter though, she looked to Bib first.

"Make sure she stays alive," her mother said sternly to Bib before adding in a gentler voice, "Both of you stay alive. I will miss you both. Be safe."

The older woman embraced her daughter as Yrshta mumbled an "I love you" into her mother's shoulder. Then, in a great gust of wind, her mother took to the sky and was off.

egglover egglover

"That's going to be difficult," Bib gently joked, trying to lighten the mood for his friend Yrshta, "Keeping you alive, that is. Oh but, now I've promised to both of our parents."

He scratched his chin with a concerned expression. He hated to break promises.

Chioran put a reassuring hand on Bhara's shoulder and smiled warmly.

"We didn't forget. I promise." She glanced off into the crowd of faces, and then back to her. "Come on, no need to be so tense," she said, patting her heartily on the arm. "You'll get wrinkles. Besides..." She assumed a boxing stance and gave a nearby tree a quick one-two with her fists -- and caused the sturdy trunk to cave and crack like rotten drywall. Satisfied, she lightly shook her hand and looked over her shoulder. "If anyone needs protecting, it's them not us. Isn't that how it's always been?"

"Chioran, please don't hit the trees," mother calmly scolded.

"Sorry, sorry," she laughed sheepishly, hand behind her head in embarrassment. As the young woman turned around, she caught a curious glimpse of a few others she hadn't been expecting to see today. "Oh... ? Luna's here? And Konan... Yo! Finally got your parents' permission huh? Lucky dog! Finally here to be my rival?"

-

Kassandra Kassandra Vol Vol Topless Topless

Interactions: Chioran Melon Bomb Melon Bomb / Bhara Kassandra Kassandra / Luna Topless Topless

Distracted by his own musings, the fire vessel gasped out a "the fuck!" when a near-by tree suddenly collapse in itself. A couple passerbys, in particular some children, who had caught the incident also gasped in glee and surprise.

Konan snorted at the display, forcing the seeds of nerves that were planted by his previous conversation to wilt and eventually sizzle to nothing.

"Oh... ? Luna's here? And Konan... Yo! Finally got your parents' permission huh? Lucky dog! Finally here to be my rival?"

He straightened up his posture and puffed his chest in challenge.
"Don't need the old hag's permission, unlike you, Chio." He shot back as he strode towards her and the other woman. But he planted himself to the side of both, more than an arm's distance away.

"Pffbt, me? Your rival? Nah," Konan shook his head slow to emphasise the ludicrosity of her statement, and a sense of "wow, stupid."

Suddenly, the hands on his hips lit up with crackling fire.

"You can't handle my shit, swordgirl." He said through bared teeth, tone dripping with cockiness but also playfulness.

However the flames were doused when he glanced at the woman next to her, and he frowned. Then tsk'ed at nothing in particular and folded his arms, foot tapping.

It was nigh impossible for Bhara to lock her frown and furrowed brow in place when Chioran turned on that annoyingly congenial charm. The shoulder touch was the final nail in the coffin, bursting past whatever wall of resistance she had in place. Try as she might, she simply couldn't pull her face muscles back from contorting themselves into a half-smile, which she tried to hide by turning away a little. Finally, she gave in and relaxed her tensed lips, letting them rest in a lazy smirk. A hint of hope tugged at the back of her mind, just as Chioran put on her display for Bhara against a nearby tree. She had very nearly convinced herself she'd gotten all worked up over nothing, before Chioran went and ruined it without meaning to.

How it's always been. Her parents' texts dominated her mind with a vengeance. Vast numbers of accounts of their kind falling victim to the powerless. Overwhelmed by their numbers, killed because of their unwillingness to defend themselves and harm their attackers, defeated by superior technology. Just because the people living underneath them didn't have divine blood in them didn't mean they couldn't kill. Chioran was wrong. If they weren't careful, one day, history would repeat itself. And this time, they'd be hunted to extinction.

Predictably, Chioran had gone off to socialize. Probably tired of me raining on her parade, Bhara thought. But until the gates opened, she had nothing else to do but follow her around while she made the rounds of friendship with everyone else in their circles. Konan seemed to be her next target, so she took a position beside the two of them, giving him a nod. At least watching the two of them boast would be a half-decent way to pass the time.

- Melon Bomb Melon Bomb Vol Vol

"Why stop at sword girl? I'll be a sword princess in no time," Chioran declared, dramatically flicking her luscious locks. "I can see it already; princes from every kingdom, lining up for my hand... 'Oh, Chioran! You're so strong, and funny, and sexy! Please marry me!'" She daintily clasped her hands together with a kissy face and kicked one leg up behind her. Her pose held a moment for effect, but something seemed to have already soured Konan's mood. She dropped the goofy act and pressed with a trace of concern.

"Something wrong?"

Just as she spoke, the deep, bass-y echo of the town bell rang through their little town. Chioran and the others pushed their attention west, attentively. Slowly, the colossal gates of the town square groaned outward into a straight, cleared out street that eventually stretched into the sending area where the priests waited to receive them. She swallowed.

"Chioran." She turned around into the embrace of her mother, her arms wrapped tightly around her small torso.

"Mom..."

"You be good, okay?" She could feel her mother's fingers curling into the fabric of her dress. "I know... I know you'll do great things out there. Mommy loves you."

"I love you too."

They stayed like that for a while, tight in each other's hug. When it seemed like she wouldn't let go, Chioran began awkwardly pulling herself away. "Alright, I get it. I'll miss you too, okay? I have to go--"

Her heart sank as she looked down at her mother's ugly, weeping face. It didn't look like she was saying farewell. It looked like she was mourning. And it was only now she was able to understand, just how much she didn't want her only daughter to leave her behind. Chioran's chest suddenly felt heavy, and she felt her own tears begin to well up. "Stop it... you're gonna make me cry too..." With a deep sniffle, she wiped her eyes with her sleeve and adjusted her things.

"I'll come back one day," Chioran said, watching her father comfort her devastated mother. "Count on it."

"That's an Elagroh promise," he said, smiling sadly.

"Of course."

With a deep breath, she turned her back to her family and confidently joined the others as they poured orderly through the gates. Thousands upon thousands of people leaned out from their balconies and packed the sides of the street, raining showers of colorful petals down upon them while they cheered. This is probably what it feels like to be royalty, she thought to herself as she waved to the blur of faces around her. Not sure if I liked this as much as I thought I would.

At the end of the street, the head priest -- Ahumnoh -- addressed the would-be pioneers. In his stiff, bony hand was a staff that belonged to Namuan, the first toren to ever descend from Makuran. It was no ordinary rod; it was perhaps the sole tool that allowed them to safely leave the island to begin with.

"Children of man, and of gods," the rickety priest began, reciting the age old preamble everyone's heard a million times by now. "This day, you have chosen a new destiny. A destiny that the heavens no doubt smile upon, for your bravery, and your conviction. As you grace the mother Alatoa with your presence below, forget not your origins nor your home, as they will not forget you. And for the ascendants among you, take pride in who you are, and show this world why you proudly bear the name of the toren! Step forward now... for the time has come for you to take control of your fate."

Steeling her will, Chioran did as she was told and planted her two feet down onto one of the large circular gates built into the floor. She stared up at the clear blue sky.

This is really stressful.

-

Vol Vol egglover egglover obscured_light obscured_light PiePillager PiePillager Kassandra Kassandra Topless Topless

Luna tensed up when she heard her name being called. She is approached by Chioran herself, the one whom she wants to serve. She was glad to have them on board, even asking if they came to be her rivals. Luna shook her head. "I do not wish to be your rival or anything like that. But...would it be okay with you if you allow me to be your servant?" She asked. As she awaits for her answer, petals begin to rain. Luna looked and felt flattered. "The people here are sharing your goodbyes. This is just like how my brother was send off." The nobleman said. As soon as they have arrive at the gates, they are met by the presence of the priest, addressing them of their departure. Luna looks back at her master and his wife and say "Master, I guess this is farewell then. If the gods would give me a chance, then maybe..."

"Maybe you can return here along with my brother." The nobleman said before putting his hand on Luna's shoulder. "We will miss you Luna. There is no other person who have such beautifut voice as you." The wife said. "Master, please take care of my parents while I'm gone. I know they don't want to accompany me knowing that I will be gone. Let them know that I still love them no matter." Luna said to which the nobleman nods. "Thank you. Farewell, and thanks for having this honor." She said as she waves her master goodbye before joining with the others in standing on the gates.

This is indeed the last time she will be with her master.

Melon Bomb Melon Bomb

Interactions: N/A

"Why stop at sword girl? I'll be a sword princess in no time, I can see it already; princes from every kingdom, lining up for my hand... 'Oh, Chioran! You're so strong, and funny, and sexy! Please marry me!'" She daintily clasped her hands together with a kissy face and kicked one leg up behind her.

The frown that had creased his features transitioned to a restrained grin; the tips of his hair exploding into flame before he snuffed them out by waving one hand at it, and the other to stifle a snort. But before he could retort with some "reality-breaking" news about the fact that she was definitely no princess, just a spoiled girl, and the possibility of the women down being far more fetching than her... his sense of nervousness returned when the shieldmaiden's gaze darted between them.

"Something wrong?"

Konan had side-eyed her concern, his sarcastic "yeah, you." drowned out by the tolling of the bell. The firm line on his lips stretched to a bitter smirk as he, along with the rest of the crowd and the chosen, watched the gates open. During this commotion, the fire vessel turned on his heel to look for signs of his mother. To his dismay he couldn't see her amongst the slowly approaching crowd. His heart sank and his teeth worried at his lip.

It was good she wasn't going to see him off, it would hit the final nail into her heart.

He tightened his fists and raised his head to the gates; eyes glowing a vibrant orange. A colour of building frustration, of flames igniting. He pushed forward, not allowing himself to be dragged with the crowd; the petals raining down simply burning to a crisp as soon as they neared his person.

As soon as they've reached the end of the street, the head priest began to recite a ceremonious farewell to the Toren, one he'd heard many times during the previous festivals, but never really listened to. Though when he was about to actually digest the speech, an arm wrapped loosely around his neck.

Konan instinctively grabbed at the arm, attempting to suplex the attacker, only to stop when a meatball on a stick was shoved into his mouth. He chewed the food as both of his brows were raised in confusion, but the warm and slow drawl of a chuckle alerted to him to who it was.

"Something to eat before you go, Ko. May you shine a new light down below, my little rascal." Zaya whispered into his ear before pulling away and gently nudging him forward. Konan swallowed the top meatball and held onto the remaining stick, looking slightly dumbfounded.
"Damn you, you--" He cut himself off by biting off a chunk of the second meatball, and he rubbed away the hot tears that threatened to spill from his eyes. From his mother's voice, she probably would cry the tears he didn't want to.

Konan sniffed in irritation. Guess this year he wasn't going to listen to this speech either.

"Step forward now... for the time has come for you to take control of your fate."

The fire vessel had stepped onto circular gates at the same time as Chioran, but he kept his eyes on the foodstick he was left with. An unburnt flower petal from the parade floated down onto his nose and he blew it off.

Bhara listened as the two of them prattled on with their illusions of grandeur, gently amused by Konan's pride in his connection to the elements and Chioran's fantasy of being courted by a prince, before her ear perked up at the sound of a set of familiar questioning voices. She turned her head and dipped her shield so it hid behind the broadest section of her body, spotting them in an instant. Two women with ink-black hair, one with dark brown eyes, the other with the same shade of green as Bhara's, frantically tapping shoulders and asking if they'd seen their daughter. 'Shield' was the key word. One glimpse at the door-sized thing on her arm would give her away in an instant, and they'd drag her home to give her a talking-to. It was now or never. Thankfully, Head Priest Ahumnoh chose that moment to move his ancient bones and get the festival underway. She had to leave, and the gates were where the crowds were densest. It was as close to providence Bhara could ask for.

Following as Chioran moved to the center of attention, still trying to make herself and her weapon as visually small as possible, Bhara picked the adjacent gate and planted herself on it. Her cheeks burned red, anxiously awaiting her mothers' voices demanding that she step away. She couldn't very well disobey them in front of the entire island. But the demand never came. She liked to imagine they had spotted her, and deciding that there was no changing her mind, chose to simply watch and silently wish her luck. However, she couldn't risk it, and kept her back to the crowd. There was no going back now, Alatoa awaited them. Bhara hoped beyond reason that all her assumptions were wrong, and that Chioran would have the opportunity to tease her about it all in the future.

But you're not a fantasyland, are you? You're a graveyard. Just try it, curs. One wrong move and I'll bury you in your precious homeland.

"It's a promise we'll keep, don't you worry old friend," Yrshta smiled confidently before the priest began to speak. In the distance, Yrshta could see the retreating backs of the birdwomen. A sense of pride swelled in her chest even as she swallowed loudly. Raising a hand to Bib to follow her, she strode on forward to one of the portals near the others who were already there. Not too close as she wanted to save a spot for Bib.

egglover egglover

Bib followed his friend and stood beside her, staring at the gates in wonder. He was not toren, so anything magic fascinated him to no end. These were the gates he had seen since he was a small child still clinging on to his mother's leg, but despite his innocent curiosity he had never thought he would be crossing them into the world down below.

A nervous gulp. He glanced down to Yrshta to remind himself why he was doing this, and then turned to look behind him to the crowds, trying to spot his family amongst them. He could not.

Last edited:
A nova of dust billowed outward as Ahumnoh slammed his staff against the floor squarely between his feet, demonstrating surprising strength for his age. Each of the rings emblazoned into the floor began to shimmer with a golden light, ascending upwards like butterflies and enveloping each group of travelers in their radiant shell. As her vision faded into bright nothingness, Chioran unknowingly held the hand of the person next to her. She didn't look to see who it was, but their warmth offered her mind some peace as the sound, too, dissipated with sight.

"Farewell, children of Makuran. Gods guide your path."

The head priest flipped the staff into a horizontal position and the vessels of light sank into the ornately sculpted gates below, blasting downwards like spears of energy. The air cracked with thunder as the force of their departure shattered the sound barrier, sending the loose robes of the priests fluttering every which way while they remained staunchly in place. Ahumnoh inhaled a deep breath, lifted his head, and shouted with great power.

"Our stars are in flight! Let the celebrations commence!"

That day, five stars descended from the island of Makuran. No telescope was necessary to witness their fall.

From the window of a not-so distant outpost, several soldiers in uniform gazed up at the sky in anticipation. The sudden clang of a helmet ricocheting against the floor snapped them out of their trance as they side-stepped the bouncing headgear, which finally came to a slowly spinning stop against a desk leg. Among their rank, Lieutenant Ariter of Quiol's imperial knight order swept his hair back and then slammed his palm against the windowsill. His face, contorted with fierce creases that created a mask of pure, unbridled rage.

"Five," he scowled, narrowing his eyes in anger as they followed the five separate streaks of light arcing down into the Fhouajan Woods. "We lost five whole groups of toren! All because of that stupid prince's 'brilliant' idea to send out that rookie he assured us he had tamed. Unbelievable! And of course, aaaaall the blame is going to fall upon us for failing to do our part... What if those torens end up in Riosen territory? What then? We can't go back like this, the Star Falling has never been fucked up this badly before... rrrgh... RAAAAAAAAGH!"

Ariter shoved himself away from the window and stomped his way to the door like an angry bull, pointing at his upturned helmet. "Pick that up! We're riding! Riosen cannot be allowed to make first contact, and especially not those backwood savages! If we see even a glimpse of that traitor, we bury her!"

For a brief moment in time, Chioran felt weightless. Empty. Not in a bad way, more like... she had become one with everything. Old memories, hazy and unclear floated through her mind. Faces she didn't recognize surrounded her, but something told her she knew these people, even though they had never met.

"Chioran."

"Chioran."

"Chioran."

Her eyes shot open. The young woman found herself resting on her rear, one palm in the soft dirt and her legs folded neatly to one side. She felt around and realized they were in a small crater -- probably caused by the impact of their star. Gathering her bearings, she saw that she was still with the same group of people who had departed on the same gate as her. The other four stars landed who knew where; they could've been leagues apart for all she knew. They were in a forest of some sort. Not a particularly dense one by the looks of it, the surrounding hills were easy to spot, and the sound of a running stream could be heard nearby. Moreover...

Chioran hugged her dress tighter to herself. Why is it so cold!? It was so hot up on the island! Shivering and chattering, she trawled through her bag and pulled on a coat for the time being, standing up to her feet and wiping away the debris that clung to her clothes.

"Konan! It's freezing! Warm us up!" she ordered nonchalantly.

Well, immediate concerns aside. The first thing they needed to do was find a road. That should eventually lead them to a town or a village of sorts if they followed it, from what she recalled. From there, they needed to find a way to secure lodging... unlike in Makuran, it probably wasn't going to be for free so it'd be within their interest to make some money while they were there. Was there some kind of adventurer's hall where they could tackle quests and bounties and stuff? That sounded fun! She was teetering on the apprehensive side earlier, but now things were starting to get exciting. Feels like a real adventure already! First objective: Find a way out of these stinkin' cold ass woods!

-

Vol Vol egglover egglover obscured_light obscured_light PiePillager PiePillager Kassandra Kassandra Topless Topless

Bhara woke up with her face resting in the dirt, drool gathering around her chin. Her eyes blinked open frantically to find that she'd subconsciously taken shelter from the cold in her sleep, curled up and covering most of her body with her shield. The inner paneling wasn't particularly warm, but between her bare arms and stomach, she was thankful to have a layer over her. And as luck would have it, she wasn't alone in their new, frigid reality. It had never occurred to her that being physically closer to the sun would've made a difference, strangely enough. Then again, she assumed she'd wake up at knifepoint, so surprises were sure to be in great abundance today.

Chioran's request for warmth from Konan clued her in to both their locations, and got her up on her feet. The sound of the nearby flowing water inspired some navigational instinct from her vegetable garden at home, putting her on the search for its direction. Villages needed water for crops, and it was possible the stream was just the run-off of a larger, tamed river. Whatever direction the water was flowing from, was perhaps a nexus of civilization. There, Bhara could make better judgements about the people they were to live amongst.

"Chioran," she nodded in the direction of the stream while flexing a sore arm. "Water means crops. Could be that following the source will lead us to a village."

- Melon Bomb Melon Bomb

Luna felt her hand being clenched. But it did not matter as her vision faded. Some time had passed. Seconds, minutes, hours, it did not matter. Luna opens her eyes to see the new world around her. She gets up with a bit of a stretch, but then felt the chilly breeze like no other. She is getting cold. "Uh! I didn't expect this place to be a lot colder than I thought." She said as she hugs herself for warmth. "Is anyone here okay though?" She asked before she heard something about water. "Wouldn't the water be cold too?" She asked Bhara.

Melon Bomb Melon Bomb Kassandra Kassandra

Curious about the states of their companions, Bhara started searching the area after giving Chioran her suggestion. But before her eyes could land on another soul, one spoke out and drew her attention. The voice came from Luna, the third human Toren in their group, or as Bhara thought of her, the edge of the coin she and Chioran already occupied the two sides of. Her pacifism would be a problem if they were suddenly ambushed, so it would probably be best to shadow her. Just in case.

"Sure they still farm when it's cold. Least it's not frozen."

- Topless Topless

It's Free Arson
Interactions: Chioran Elgorah Melon Bomb Melon Bomb
Honourable mentions: Bhara Kassandra Kassandra / Luna Topless Topless

A bright light and then silence.
He had felt weightless during that time, as if the air within his lungs were stolen and...he had died. But that was far from the case, as his eyes snapped open after being forcibly closed so tight.

"Chioran, Water means crops. Could be that following the source will lead us to a village."

. "Uh! I didn't expect this place to be a lot colder than I thought. Is anyone here okay though?"
"Wouldn't the water be cold too?"

"Sure they still farm when it's cold. Least it's not frozen."

Like a cornered animal scouting out for possible danger, his wide eyes wandered without focus, then snapped to the direction of where he heard voices.
He was stuck on top of a tree, limbs tangled up with the branches, and he spat out a few leaves that somehow had invaded his mouth.

Then the said tree's crown exploded into flame; the dancing fire licking up the dry bark hungrily and loosening its hold on him. Konan fell, again, but this time with a "OH SHIT, SHIT!".

Fortunately the dirt he impacted wasn't so hard but he landed with a definite lack of grace. The fire vessel laughed a little before he pushed himself off the ground, every breath he exhaled came out as steam. The temperature of their new environment was a drastic change from their sky island's -- but fortunately for him, he never felt as comfortable before.

The meatball stick was long forgotten, he probably dropped it somewhere...or did it disintegrate during their descent? Speaking of disintegration, looked like his tunic got burnt off along with the tree. His sandals? Gone, good riddance.

"Konan! It's freezing! Warm us up!
Konan groaned theatrically, palm slapping against his face. The impact it made sounded like a piece of meat sizzling against boiling oil. He had hoped he would've been separated from the others...

"I'm not your personal campfire, Chio, fuck off." He growled before turning on his heel and started to slowly stride into the forest. He wasn't sure what to do exactly, but maybe he should start with --

Burning the entire forest down. It'll be easier to see once it's all gone.

True, getting out of here. And who knows how vast this wood was -- maybe even bigger than the one that they had up in the sky fortress.
Konan contemplated the suggestion, a half-smile breaking across the firm line of his lips.

Nah. Maybe not yet...

Konan bit his lip and hissed after a stinging sensation blossomed across his chest, and he stopped a moment by leaning against the bark of a tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back