• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Norrobury Village] The Ghost of Norroburry Mine

Vaudivolt

Rusty from the Rain
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
This roleplay is part of the Isekai Hell setting. More information regarding the world and its denizens can be found [here].

This roleplay will follow Desirae Foul and Tomo during their investigation of Norroburry Village.

Desirae will be played by Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Tomo will be played by me, Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

Narration will be provided by me, Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

Norroburry_Village_and_Lake.jpg
Welcome to Norroburry Village, a community located in the eastern regions of Ryke. This quaint mining village has nestled in with the mountainous areas that have become their economic engine due to plentiful mineral deposits lying dormant within the stone. Seasonal workers are used to keep the mineral-extracting gears turning. And the local militia serves as the operation's protective casing. A perfect, well-oiled machine of a mining town. Until recently...

Strange events began affecting Norroburry after officially expanding their mining operation with a newly opened shaft. Mining equipment getting damaged, displaced, or disappearing altogether. Shortly after, the townsfolk started reporting ghost sightings. Then, miners began refusing to work the new 'haunted' shaft. Instead, they insisted on continuing their work in the already-established mines as they've remained entirely unaffected. Word has not yet traveled to the Adventurer's Guild, but if the situation persists, it might soon. Has Norroburry fallen prey to sudden, collective superstition, or is there an underlying truth tying all these events together?

Tomo
Tomo_the_Alchemist.jpgApproaching a small village in the distance, a recently masterless dog named Tomo let the dirt path beneath his paws guide him. The fresh mountain air brushed past his golden fur, making his red vestments billow lightly in the breeze. His ears twitched against the white headband he wore diligently. A symbol of courage, or so his master had once told him. Tomo let his eyes wander the mountainous landscape, and for a moment, he considered closing them. If he did, he might have been able to convince himself this entire world was nothing but untouched nature. Wild and free. But, he did not feel free. He never imagined walking freely, without a leash or master, would feel so constricting. Every step forward, away from the meadow he had woken up in, made an invisible noose tighten around his neck.

A feeling of doubt held his heart hostage as he entered the town. The dirt below his paws was now firmer and dressed with cobblestone in places where the presence of housing grew. Stranger in a foreign place, Tomo decided to go wherever there were more people. And so he eventually arrived at the town square - a large, paved central area partially dressed with the remnants of a market closing for the evening. Stalls were stripped of their remaining produce and ready to be dismantled until the next day. And between the chatter of working townsfolk, in the distance, the faint clanging of metal against stone filled the air - providing the rhythm that led their daily lives.

Tomo's eyes darted back and forth between people as he held on tight to a sliver of hope that Emmett might be among them. He was not. Disheartened by his wishful thinking, Tomo absentmindedly walked headfirst into the shin of a stranger. Slightly dazed from the collision, he glanced up to find a heavyset, middle-aged man. He was dressed in chef's attire and showed a friendly smile hidden partially beneath an impressive mustache.

“Ho-ho, careful, stranger.” The man warned jokingly, slapping the side of his leg. “That could've ended badly had I not braced myself!” Chef_Base.pngTomo tilted his head in response, expressing skepticism after comparing their size difference. “Somehow, I doub' that. Bein' ten times me size and all.

“Ho-ho, very sharp. I suppose I'll blame being a baker for that one!” He replied, still joking but unwittingly startling Tomo enough to force him to back up a few steps. Keeping his distance, Tomo attempted to convince himself he had misheard the man's response. He was used to all manner of strangers responding to him whenever he barked, but never like this. Never like they could understand him. But, if this man could...

I'm sorry, but I'm lookin' for me master. He's called Emmett Downing. Lanky lad, dark hair, somethin' nervous about him.” Tomo asked, equal parts hopeful and curious about the man's reply. As surreal as this interaction was, it would make his search for Emmett easier if he could communicate clearly with people.

“Hmm, Emmett, you say?” The man pondered the question for a short while, tapping his finger against his chin. “It doesn't ring a bell. You'd better ask one of the militia. They're keeping a close eye on new people lately. Good folks are getting their tools and such stolen, but there's not much of a lead so far...”

Last edited:
Desirae Foul

Desirae.jpg
Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

There were many rumors surrounding Norroburry Village.

Many ghost stories in particular. All centered around a new mine shaft that the locals had been trying to excavate. It started with gossip about small things like missing and damaged items that one could’ve easily written off as adolescent mischief. But, eventually, people started reporting ghost sightings and firsthand encounters.

It got so bad that the miners stopped expanding their mines.

No one had come looking for Desirae and nobody was trying to hire an adventurer to come and investigate the rumors surrounding mines. The situation hadn’t even caught the attention of the Adventurer’s Guild yet. It was the stories, themselves, that brought the self-proclaimed detective to Norroburry that afternoon.

Despite the rumors surrounding the mines, the people seemed largely unaffected. The streets were filled with as much jovial chatter and activity as any healthy village and business went about as usual. Idly, Desirae would listen in to the conversations of passerby as she made her way towards the mines. And it was there on those streets that she’d hear about someone looking for a missing person. Though, to be honest…

…the sight of a talking puppy and a man’s consequent lack of response to it was arguably far more fascinating.

“Eh, I’ve probably seen stranger things.”

After taking a moment to come to terms with just how different this world was than her own, she made her way over to Tomo and the baker.

“Looking for your master, eh? I can help you out if you’d like. But, first thing’s first.”

She walked past them and grabbed a chair from one of the many tables settled just outside of the bakery, brought it over to the small hound and took a seat.

“I’m gonna need more information than that. Dark-haired, lanky and nervous sounds like most people you’d run into on the street. Tell me a little bit about this Emmet fellow. What kind of person is he? Why do you think he’s here in Norroburry? And when was the last time you saw him?”

Three simple questions that might have given her a bit of context on Tomo’s situation.

TomoTomo_the_Alchemist.jpg
Emmett Downing. And sorry hearin' it. I hope ye find the culprit soon,” Tomo replied, hiding disappointment behind a kind tone of voice. He had hoped this baker could have been more helpful - considering the nature of their interaction. Tomo still could not entirely believe he had spoken with a human. But, all the same, it appeared this mining town had its own share of problems. It would be selfish to add his to those of already troubled townsfolk. “I will find the militia then,” Tomo added, “nice meetin' you. Oh, sorry, me name is Tomo.

“Ho-ho, nice to you as well, Tomo! You may call me Oscar Brimbaker,” the man exchanged pleasantries heartily, “and do be careful around our town. New folks are always welcome, but best steer clear of the mines for the time being.”

I'll be keepin' it in mind.” And so Tomo's first direct conversation with a human had seemingly ended. But before they could part ways, another voice chimed in. A woman offered her assistance, which reignited Tomo's dwindling spark of hope within.

That I am!” Tomo replied eagerly, and he turned toward the direction of the sound. His head tilted slightly upon seeing a woman making herself comfortable by borrowing one of the bakery's outdoor chairs. Seating herself near him. She would be the second person directly responding to his words. If Tomo did not know any better, he would have started to believe people had always understood him.

Sorry, but not Emmett, Emmett Downing,” Tomo corrected, insisting on using his master's full name, “and he keeps to himself. Likes his books and shows, but he's been gettin' better at goin' outdoors.

Before he continued answering the redhead lady seated before him, Tomo paused to think. “I bet he's here, because it's the neares' town from where I woke up. And last I saw him was before that...

The events that led up to him waking up in this foreign world flashed through his mind. And Tomo winced at the memory of those blinding headlights. “...before I fell asleep, that is. Sorry, but who'r ye anyway?

Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Last edited:
Desirae Foul

Desirae.jpg

Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

“How strange…”

Truth be told, that wasn’t much for Desirae to work with. No motive for Emmett to come to town nor to get involved with the mine. Not much of a narrative to work with yet, either. And, given the fact that the baker didn’t recognize him, the pup probably wasn’t from around here.

“Desirae Foul: Aspiring Investigator.”

She extended a hand for him to “shake” if he so pleased. And as she gazed down upon the young pup from her seat, Desirae would activate [Eye of the Sleuth] to scan over the young pup’s body for any information that might’ve given her a lead on what happened to him to end up lost and alone in Norroburry village.

“It’s best that we take Mr. Brimbaker’s advice and ask the local authorities about your Emmett Downing before searching anywhere else for him. For all we know he might just be running around trying to find you as well. And, if he is, I'm sure he'd end up there as well,” then Desirae turned to Oscar Brimbaker, “Could you point us in the direction of one of these militia offices? I’m not from around these parts, either.”

As soon as she got a heading, she’d start making her way over with Tomo at her side. Way she saw it, she could kill two birds with one stone and ask about the people who knew best about the mines and Emmett Downing all at once.

“Tomo? May I ask how you ended up on the outskirts of Norroburry village?” she asked, glancing over at him as they continued forward, “I gather that you and your master aren’t locals. But are you at least familiar with the area?”

Even if Emmet Downing was waiting for Tomo with the local authorities, the circumstances surrounding the entire situation were still incredibly odd.

Action 1: Used [Eye of The Sleuth]
Action 2: Started moving towards local authorities

Eye of the Sleuth- Appraisal E, Traps F, Perception F, Investigation F- Desirae utilizes her senses and mind to the fullest to gain information about a scene and everyone in it. It’s a bit tiresome to do, but no so much that she can’t push herself many, many times a day.- Grade E- 1 post cooldown.

Nice meetin' you, Desirae, me name is Tomo.” He replied cordially but paused when Desirae extended her hand. Part of him expected a command word like 'paw' to follow shortly. In his previous life, he would not have hesitated to put it onto the woman's palm, even without a verbal command. It was an easy task to perform and always seemed to put a smile on people's faces. For a moment, his mind wandered off to think about Emmett. He, and most humans, were too easily pleased at times. But that was never a reason to deny them those simple pleasures.

However, now that he could speak, he had become more equal to them than he had ever been before. And the idea that this was a proper handshake rather than a simple trick for amusement made him more eager to accept the gesture. He placed his paw onto Desirae's palm and waited. He listened to her ideas on how to proceed before retracting his paw. Her suggestions were sound. And after he confirmed with a nod, Tomo turned his attention towards Oscar as Desirae had done. His ears perked while awaiting the baker's directions.

“Ho-ho, I thought you were a new face,” Oscar expressed with joy, “as for directions, not a problem! Let's see...” He appeared to search the market area for a moment, then suddenly continued.

“There's one!” Oscar extended his hand, gesturing towards two people on the other side of the market, slightly obscured by some stalls. “You're in luck too, I think that's Irwin himself. He leads our militia and should have no problem helping you further.”

“If that is all, enjoy your stay in Norroburry. And do be careful!”

And so, with the beginnings of an unusual partnership formed, the duo set out in the direction of the person Oscar Brimbaker had pointed out. As they weaved between the townsfolk and strewn about materials, Tomo addressed Desirae's questions while explicitly avoiding eye contact. “You may, but truthfully? I couldn't tell ye the half of it...

Me an' me master, we're not from 'round here. We're from Dublin.” Tomo hesitated for a moment, then added a remark to test Desirae's reaction. “Whe'r the people don't speak dog...

Soon the duo caught sight of the man fitting Brimbaker's description. Irwin was a tall, dark-haired man clad in dyed leather armor. And the large sword on his back gleamed in the light of the late afternoon sun. It appeared he had just ended a conversation with one of the townsfolk on a sour note. While he did not directly approach Desirae and Tomo, he noticed they were not from around the Norroburry area. And did not shy away from keeping his eye on them as a result.

Desirae, using Eye of the Sleuth, sharpened her deductive senses and allowed her to learn the following information during its effective period:
Oscar Brimbaker
Equipped Titles: Human
Height: 1.78m / 5'8”
Weight: 113 kg / 250 lbs
Stats: Speed F
Skills: Business F, Domestic Arts F, Persuasion F
Tomo
Equipped Titles: Beast, Animal
Body Length: 0.71m / 2'4”
Body Height: 0.43m / 1'5”
Weight: 10 kg / 22 lbs
Skills: Alchemy F, Domestic Arts F, Fast F, Heightened Sense – Smell F
Irwin ???
Equipped Titles: Human, Norroburry Militia Captain
Height: 1.99m / 6'5”
Weight: 97 kg / 214 lbs
Stats: Precision F
Skills: Always Outnumbered F, Climbing F, Riding F
Surrounding Area - Market
The clearing of the stalls around the market is appearing to be handled less efficiently than you might expect. Almost as if it does not regularly happen.

Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Desirae Foul

Desirae.jpg

Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

“Dublin? As in Dublin, Ireland?” Desirae brought a hand up to massage her forehead, “Oh, dear…”

She chose not to elaborate on that rather concerning reaction quite yet.

Unless this world had some location of the same name, Desirae and Tomo might’ve had more in common than she realized. And finding his master might’ve been a challenge well beyond the means of a simple investigator. Despite the pang of doubt she began to feel, the aspiring investigator approached the Norroburry Militia Captain all the same.

“Good Afternoon, Captain. My friend and I were looking for someone. A Mr. Emmett Downing. Dark-haired, lanky, nervous looking. A new face from out of town. Ring any bells?” She decided not to use his real name until he gave that up on his own, “Also, have you ever heard of a place called ‘Dublin’ before?”

Truth be told, Desirae had an explanation for Tomo. Maybe not one that would clear up how he got here, but definitely one that would clue him in on where he now was, why he could suddenly communicate with those around him and, well, the daunting situation that he was now in.

But, if the boy and his dog had both found themselves in this new world, then she might as well wait to see them both before breaking the news of their new, highly controvertible situation to them.

Last edited:
Right ye are!” Tomo confirmed, as did his wagging tail. Her knowledge of Ireland brought some peace of mind. With everything that had happened so shortly after waking up in a strange place, Tomo had begun doubting whether this was some form of afterlife. Whether he had passed away after colliding with that van. And whether he would never see Emmett again... He instinctively shook to force the thoughts out of his head.

Another person beside him knew of Ireland, and for the time being that meant he was still among the living. Even if he had no idea how he had gotten here, or where exactly he was. But, for now, he'd put those questions on hold. Directing all his attention towards the militia captain Desirae had begun conversing with.

Norroburry_Militia_Leader_Crop.png“We see new faces every season,” the captain grumbled bluntly in response to Desirae, then let out a defeated sigh, “Listen, our men have enough on their minds as it is.”

For a moment, it appeared he was considering something, then discarded the idea from his thoughts. “No, I just do not have the resources for tracking down a person from... 'Dublin', was it?”

The name appeared to intrigue him for a moment, compelling him to reassess his discarded idea. But a light shake of his head gave away his next response before the words were even spoken. “I can't say I've ever heard of it. Regardless,..”

Wha'r ye talkin' about ye don't know Dublin?” Tomo fiercely interjected. Baring his fangs upon hearing the captain's words. The shock of his doubts returning boiled over into short-lived anger. “Even if ye haven' been there, sure ye know of it!

“Regardless!” The captain repeated with growing irritation, “Even if I had known of it, I cannot assist until we've resolved our own problems.” It was clear from the captain's body language that he was eager to end the interaction, but taking another glance at the duo gave him pause. “Wait, alright,.. since the both of you are looking for a missing person, you wouldn't happen to have any experience investigating, would you?”

“Truth be told, we're grasping in the dark regarding an ongoing investigation. If both of you are able to assist in solving this case, we would have more resources available to dedicate towards finding this Emmett Downing.”

Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Desirae Foul

Desirae.jpg

Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

Desirae let out a light sigh as the captain, unsurprisingly, confirmed that he’d never heard of a place called Dublin before.

“Yeah, I figured.”

On the upside, it looked as though he was actively searching for someone to look into the issues surrounding the mine. Desire was half-expecting the local guard, themselves, to be involved with it but, if they were actively drawing attention to it and seeking help, then maybe they could be trusted.

“Tomo, I think I know what’s going on. And where your master is. But, before we get into that…” she turned back to the captain, “I do, actually. The rumors surrounding the mine, itself, are what drew me into town in the first place. If you’re looking for someone to investigate it, then it’s a good thing we bumped into each other. It’s Desirae. Desirae Foul.”

She extended a hand for him to shake. She figured the captain was a busy man with more things on his plate the the mine business, so she’d focus on getting what she could from him before, well…

…breaking the news to Tomo.

“I’ve heard plenty of rumors, but that’s all they’ve been. Rumors. I’d like to hear about the situation from the Militia Captain, himself. If possible, a list of persons-of-interest, or at least the names of few witnesses to this ghost, would also come in handy. Might give me some much needed context to work with before diving straight into that mine.”

As she spoke, Tomo would see a wide grin spread across Desirae’s lips. Despite the situation in the town, the potential dangers up ahead and how little information she had to work with at that moment… the aspiring investigator looked like she was having alot of fun.

Desirae's mention of Emmett, and his whereabouts, momentarily melted away Tomo's annoyances with the Militia Captain. And he turned his attention towards the redhead detective, tilting his head slightly. With his ears perked in anticipation, he quickly realized Desirae had planned to finish their conversation with the captain before explaining herself. Frustrated by the decision, Tomo huffed and laid down on the pavement. His back defiantly turned towards the captain.

If not for the direction of his ears, still turned towards the ongoing conversation, there would be no sign he was faking his disinterest out of pettiness - a textbook example of his breed's stubborn nature. "Priorities, Desirae." He grumbled softly.

On the other hand, the captain appeared pleased with the confirmation that Desirae was both experienced and willing to assist. “Irwin Stonewolf.” The captain replied and firmly shook the woman's hand. “Let me cut to the chase... I prefer this case to be solved soon. So, tell me what you need to get started.”

Norroburry_Militia_Leader_Crop.pngAfter hearing Desirae out and taking note of her growing grin, Irwin replied once again. “You do understand the risk involved with this investigation, yes?” He seemed slightly concerned as he gestured toward Desirae's grin. “Moving on... we have reports from a few different people.”

“One of the miners, a Dwarven man named Simin, claims to have seen the ghost enter the recently opened tunnel on two separate occasions. He has also reported missing and sabotaged mining equipment a few times since then, as have other mineworkers.”

“Next is one of our locals, Oscar Brimbaker. He is a baker who has reported his trash is disappearing. According to him, this has only started happening recently. It might be related, though we do not know for sure.”

“And finally, another one of our locals, Elina Cardiff. She claims to have seen the ghost around town during the early morning.”

Irwin paused while he searched his memory for any details left unspoken. “I believe that is all. You should be able to find Simin and Oscar at their respective workplaces. And Elina lives next to the Norroburry's boarding house down the road.”

Irwin suddenly snapped his finger. “That reminds me,” he continued, “if you two need a place to stay during your investigation, the boarding house will provide you with a room."

"Although, I cannot recall their pet policies," Irwin added with a slight smirk.

Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Desirae Foul
Desirae.jpg

Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

Three leads and a place to stay for doing exactly what she’d come into town to do. Desirae really couldn’t complain. With a smile, she extended a hand to shake and mark a beginning to their partnership here in Norroburry.

“Excellent. Then I think me and my partner here will get right to work. C’mon, Tomo. Let’s go check in with Simin, first.”

No doubt the pup was getting ever-more aggravated by the second as Desirae turned her attention towards the mystery of “The Ghost or Norroburry Mine”, but she hadn’t forgotten his plight nor had she been ignoring him. The fact of the matter was that the circumstances regarding his arrival in this world were his business and his business alone. Truth be told, she still wasn’t entirely sure how the people of this world would respond to that kind of information. They had a bit of a walk to get to Simin at the mine.

And, with it, plenty of time to talk about his situation.

“So Tomo… as I’d been saying before, I think I know where your master is. But, I don’t think that I’m going to be able to help you return to him.” her smile slowly faded as she spoke. She had no idea how he’d respond to anything that she was about to tell him or how well he’d take it, “A lot of what’s happening to you happened to me, too. Waking up in a strange, unfamiliar place. Nobody recognizing places, name or events that I thought were common knowledge. Suddenly acquiring new abilities…”

She let out a long sigh.

“Tomo, I don’t think that anything’s happened to your master. He’s not lost or misplaced or anything. He’s perfectly fine. It’s you… you and me who got lost. But we didn’t end up in another state or country or continent…” a short pause to allow him to process, “We inexplicably found ourselves in another world only superficially similar to our own.”

Preposterous, right? Desirae could only imagine what he’d say in response to that. Truth be told, she didn’t expect him to believe a word of it. It took her long enough to accept it, herself. And yet, all the same, he’d notice just how serious her expression was as she spoke those words.

Tomo
Tomo_the_Alchemist.jpgIf not for Desirae's call to action, Tomo would have prolonged their interaction with a few choice words regarding the pet policy comment. But, to not keep his partner waiting, he settled for a sneer and turned tail to join up with Desirae.

What'r ye sayin'?” Tomo soon asked with growing concern, an attentive gaze locked onto Desirae. He hardly had an eye for the road ahead as she addressed the situation with Emmett. To anyone else, it would have sounded like the redhead detective had lost her wits all at once. Not worth half the undivided attention Tomo was giving her. But the mention of new abilities convinced him she was being serious. Even though he could never accept everything she was suggesting as the truth.

Still, Tomo refrained from interfering further until after she finished. And once she did, he stayed silent for a while longer to process the information. Only speaking up once he felt he had successfully reassured himself. “I trust ye, Desirae.” He started, the wag of his tail confirming the truth in his words, “Sure sounded like ye lost it, but those abilities? I know what ye talkin' 'bout.

But, just 'cause yer right, doesn't mean yer right,” Tomo added, casting a determined gaze in her direction. “I know me master is 'ere! I got 'ere, he did too! He has to be...

"So... I'll find him, and then the three of us are gettin' back home. But, we're not gettin' anywhere slackin'. Let's keep movin', partner!"

Simin.jpgAs the duo talked amongst themselves, the village scenery slowly transitioned with each step they took toward the outskirts of town. The cobblestone pavement beneath their feet became more sparse to make space for a dirt path leading into the mountains. And the rhythmic sounds of metal against stone carried through the air more clearly as the base of the mountain slowly came into view. Soon they could see the solid rock lined with multiple tunnel entrances. And while it was not immediately clear which tunnel had earned itself a reputation for being haunted, they all stood out as more than natural caves. Structural support lined the entrances, and wooden shacks paired with a smelting operation decorated the surrounding area.

The fiery glow of the main furnace was starting to come out against the early evening shadows and illuminated the face of a Dwarven man. His carefully braided beard and strong eyebrows accentuated a stern expression. He appeared short in stature, but the horns on his helmet helped make him appear slightly taller.

Before the duo could do or say anything, the dwarf had noticed them and dutifully intercepted the potential trespassers. “Oi, oi! The mine's off-limits to the townsfolk and travelers alike. Take your sightseeing elsewhere, why don't ya.”

Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Desirae Foul
Desirae.jpg
Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

“Um…”

Tomo was… well, it was honestly hard to say just how well he was taking the news. He was certainly meeting it with a smile and far more resolve than most would have. And, though his optimism felt a bit baseless to the aspiring investigator, she felt it was best for him to hold onto hope. So, with a light sigh, she forced a reassuring smile onto her face and nodded in agreement.

“R-right!” she slowly turned her attention away from him and towards the mine ahead, “And who knows. Maybe our troubles have something to do with the ‘ghost’ haunting the mine.”

As they drew near to the mine, the cobblestone road faded into dirt and the clatter and chatter of busy streets was replaced with roar of flame and metalwork. A dwarf made himself known and Desirae merely stopped in place for a moment with a raised brow before resuming her forward stride as if the man had said nothing at all.

“Not to worry. My associate and I are here to investigate the mine on behalf of Captain Irwin of the Norroburry Militia,” she walked up to him and extended a hand to shake, “The name’s Desirae. Desirae Foul. I’m looking for a man called Simin; one of the miners here. We need to speak with him as soon as possible.”

Tomo
Tomo_the_Alchemist.jpgDesirae's affirmation further bolstered Tomo's confidence. With the redhead detective at his side, he knew his odds of finding Emmett had significantly improved. And it showed in his body language as he walked alongside his new trustee. His tail wagged rapidly as they approached the mines together. It only stopped when they were interrupted by the gruff voice of a Dwarven man blocking their path forward.

Sightseein'?” Tomo asked, confused and slightly offended, but held his tongue as Desirae took control of the situation. Explaining their permission to be there, and their reason for it, in one straightforward exchange. Leaving Tomo with nothing to add apart from a quick: “Sure we lookin' like sightseers, do we?

“Aye, suppose not then.” The dwarf answered, scratching the back of his head, beneath the helmet. “Sorry about that, but we've been having some troubles a fair size bigger than a hill giant with a growth spurt.” He admitted and took a moment to inspect the duo with squinted eyes. “But, if ya been talking to Irwin, ya already knew that.”

Simin.jpgHe shrugged and stepped forward. Reaching out to Desirae, the dwarf accepted the gesture with a firm handshake. “That'd be me, Simin.” He admitted with a smirk. “Irwin mentioned me, then? I take it ya want details on the haunted tunnel then, do ya?”

Simin began recounting the events without any confirmation and seemed eager to do so. “See, it was a short while after we broke into the new tunnel, no more than ten days or so. We'd struck good paydirt early on, and a fair bit of it at that. Rock with more veins than a giant's--” He held back on making that comparison in front of a lady.

“Anyway! I think it was the day before we would begin extracting the ore that our equipment began getting damaged. I reckoned it was some hire being a sabotaging rat and stayed awake through the night to catch the vermin.”

“That's when I saw it first.” Simin's voice grew quiet as his eyes darted toward one of the tunnel entrances. “I'm telling ya, a ghost was messing about that tunnel. About the same shape as the smoke from our machines, just not as grimy. Could see the rock through its body, I tell ya.”

“I reckoned I lost it, too many fumes or whatnot.” He chuckled nervously. “But then the other guys started talking about it. We stopped working the tunnel soon after.”

“Damn shame. There's some good paydirt in there.” Simin paused momentarily, visibly upset by the prospect of the ore being just out of reach. “Say...” He wondered out loud, turning his squint back onto Desirae. “Both of ya ain't thinking of going in there when it's about nightfall, are ya? I forbid it. Even if it turns out there's no ghost at all, ya both get hurt in that tunnel and it's my neck on the block!”

Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Desirae Foul

Desirae.jpg
Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

As soon as the man identified himself, Desirae would use [Eye of the Sleuth] on him to try and discreetly collect some additional information on the witness. No doubt a skill she'd be using on every witness she spoke with on this case.

It seemed as though the captain’s name held quite a bit of power here in Norroburry. As soon as Desirae dropped it, Simin’s defenses dropped almost immediately. As soon as he began speaking, the aspiring detective reached into her back pocket and retrieved a notepad with an accompanying pen; jotting down his story as he spoke.

His story, along with his suspicion on the true nature of this ‘ghost’, lined up well with what the captain had already told her. And then, almost as though he’d been reading her mind, the man asked if she had any plans to sneak into mine. Truthfully, she didn’t intend on visiting the mines around nightfall but now she almost felt as though she had to in order to bear witness herself. Even so, with a warm, deceitful smile she simply replied.

“No, no, of course not. I’d hate to see any more troubles added to your plate with all this business about. Though, I might peek around in there while the spirits are down and the sun’s still up if you’re alright with that.”

Even if the town ‘ghost’ only came around at nightfall, that didn’t mean that there weren’t truths to be found within the mine in its absence. All matters to attend to later when she was done speaking to Simin.

“Tell me, Simin. Is there anyone in town who benefits from obstructing the excavation of that mine? Or who has actively spoken against it? Anyone at all? Given the uh,” Desirae chuckled to herself, glancing over at Tomo with a smirk, “The nature of this particular case, I think even the names of deceased who fit that bill would be worth looking into.”

Action 1: Used [Eye of The Sleuth] on Simin.

Eye of the Sleuth- Appraisal E, Traps F, Perception F, Investigation F- Desirae utilizes her senses and mind to the fullest to gain information about a scene and everyone in it. It’s a bit tiresome to do, but no so much that she can’t push herself many, many times a day.- Grade E- 1 post cooldown.

“Appreciate the concern, lady, but how're ya gonna be sure that ghost ain't hiding in there right now?” Simin questioned, his eyes once Simin.jpgagain glancing towards the tunnel entrance. He had been looking for a reason to see that ore deposit again. It was noticeable in his expression. His facial muscles shifted as he considered his options. “Aye, blast it all to--” The dwarven man suddenly blurted out and marched back to the furnace. He swore under his breath as he retrieved the pickaxe set against the furnace's side.

Simin swung his pickaxe and held it still in the air – pointed towards the tunnel he had been eyeing throughout the conversation. “Let's go, lady. Before I come to my senses.” He groaned in disbelief at his own actions, rested the pickaxe on his shoulder, and marched off toward the tunnel entrance.

“So, ya think some towny's last wish was to protect this tunnel or the like?” Simin commented after leading the duo a few steps into the tunnel. It was dark and cold inside. The only light, and the only hint of warmth, was provided by the occasional lantern that had not burned out yet.

“Hate to tell you, lady, but we know what we're doing. Ain't been an accident in some time.” Simin boasted, knocking one of the wooden support beams with his knuckles as he passed by it. Like all the other beams, a small but significant part of the wooden ribcage-like structure which prevented the solid stone above their heads from crashing down onto them.

“And for the ones that have spoken against excavation? I reckon that'd be all of us ever since that ghost dragged itself out of here.” He added, before halting from a sudden realization and turning towards Desirae. “Reckon there's a few people who're extra vocal about it, though.”

“Irwin wants it closed for Norroburry's sake, for one. And I reckon the prospector want it closed to save his face.” Simin chuckled at the thought. “It's bad for business when ya mine is haunted, don't ya think, lady?”

Tomo
Tomo_the_Alchemist.jpgI doub' keepin' it closed is better for his reputation,” Tomo answered the dwarf before turning his attention to Desirae. “Are we lookin' for somethin' in here?” He asked and tilted his head. His ears folded back slightly.

The stone and mud below his paws felt cold, and so did the air within the tunnel the further they went into the dark depths. He much preferred the conditions outside of the tunnel - preferably near the heat of the furnace. But, it seemed Desirae had her reasons to be here. And he had his newfound desire to be a good partner. "Any way I can help ye, Desirae?"

Desirae, using Eye of the Sleuth, sharpened her deductive senses and allowed her to learn the following information during its effective period:
Simin
Height: 1.29m / 4'3”
Weight: 63 kg / 140 lbs
Stats: Speed F
Skills: Area Knowledge F, Mining F, Superstrength F
Surrounding Area – Mine
Despite being abandoned for a short while now, it appears there are signs of recent activity. A few lanterns show signs of being refilled, and footprints are visible where the ground is muddier.

Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Last edited:
Desirae Foul

Desirae.jpg
Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

After a moment of consideration and vocalized regret, Simin agreed to let the duo investigate the closed mine. Despite having been closed, she noticed fresh footprints left behind by trespassers and lanterns that had recently been lit. Neither were things that a passing ghost would leave behind, were they?

Desirae made no mention of either observation. She shot a passing glance down at the preexisting tracks to see if their impressions closely resembled those left behind by Simin. The dwarf asked her if she thought that a vengeful spirit truly had come enact its revenge upon the miners that had wronged it, and the investigator merely laughed.

“I believe that whatever’s terrorizing the miners has a motive, Mr. Simin. Especially if it's been stealing equipment.”

And, when asked who might benefit from closing the mine, he listed the captain, himself, and an unknown prospector. Desirae jotted it down, and she believed him, but he wasn’t answering the question that she was actually asking him here.

She sighed, and decided to specify what she was asking him before moving on to a different subject.

“I’m sure. But, right now, I’m more concerned with events preceding this ‘ghost’s’ appearance. To your knowledge, is there anyone who had something to gain from shutting down this excavation prior to the hauntings? Or something to lose if they didn’t?”

Tomo chimed in, wondering if there was some way that he could’ve put his skills to use. Desirae paused for a moment and shot another glance down at the tracks in the mud before an idea popped into her head. A certain skill of his could prove immensely useful here in the mine. The investigator’s devious smile widened.

And she was suddenly glad that she’d chosen to visit the mine, itself, first.

“Yes, actually! I understand that the mine only closed just recently,” not even mentioning the signs of recent activity, “And, that nose of yours is pretty strong, isn’t it, Tomo?”

Obviously her scent and that of Simin would be the strongest there. Naturally those of the miners would be fairly fresh as well. Probably even the Captain and some of his men, given their own personal investigations. But no one else, save our supposed ghost, had any good reason to be trouncing about the mines, did they?

“If you took a moment to familiarize yourself with the scents in the air, would you be able to identify them for me later? Like, say… that of a recent guest who’d been wandering through the area without permission?”

Simin.jpg“Preceding... Anything to gain or lose...” Simin repeated the words in a muttering tone. “A motive, aye?” He placed the head of his pickaxe against the cold ground so he could lean his arm onto the upright handle. The dwarf appeared to think everything over while his free hand moved steadily towards caressing his beard. And then suddenly stopped. His gaze focused back on Desirae. “Lady, I don't think ya understand the mining business.”

“There's nothing here to gain or lose until after ya struck a vein in the rock.” He clarified before continuing. “Before that happens, it's just a tunnel with the prospector's promise slapped on.” He paused for a moment. “Then again, before they struck a vein there was no ghost either...”

“Aye, suppose that ghost is an old miner after all! Damn thing got a nose for fresh ore, does he?” Simin chuckled, although it now seemed more like a nervous reflex from talking about the ghost within its haunting grounds.

Tomo
Tomo_the_Alchemist.jpgRight ye are! An' stronger since comin' here!” Tomo replied with pride, taking Desirae's remark as direct praise. And his curved tail wagger eagerly because of it.

Wanting to prove himself immediately, Tomo left the interrogation of Simin to his partner. Using [Detection Dog] to aid the investigation in his own sniffing way. At first, the scent of Simin and Desirae mixed in with lantern oil and mud was all he could detect.

I'll find ye somethin' good!” Still, he insisted and began wandering around the width of the tunnel – staying within sight at all times. Soon, he managed to filter out the interfering scents of his direct surroundings and immediately found himself on high alert. His whole being froze in place, acting like a pointer dog as he stared into the darkness ahead. “Emmett!” He called loudly.

Then recklessly rushed ahead, deeper into the darkness of the tunnel.

“Oi! You get back here!” Simin yelled after the runaway dog while almost tripping himself up with his pickaxe. After he managed to center himself, Simin lost sight of Tomo. And as the best alternative turned his furrowed brow towards Desirea. “Oi, just what are ya two up to?” He demanded to know before further raising his voice in frustration. “Call ya dog back, lady!”

Action 1: Used [Detection Dog] on the general area.

Detection Dog; Appraisal E, Heightened Sense – Smell F. Relying on his heightened sense of smell, Tomo can glean useful information about creatures from their scent. Grade E, 1 Post Cooldown.

Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Desirae Foul

Desirae.jpg

Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

With pen and notepad held high, Desirae listened to Simin intently. It seemed as though he couldn’t think of anyone with an obvious motive for harassing the miners. But he did confirm that the disturbances didn’t start until after they’d discovered a valuable ore or mineral deep within the mine.

The aspiring investigator’s eyes narrowed.

“Exactly what kind of vein was it that you found in this mine?”

As Desirae continued to examine the witness with her words, Tomo studied the area with his keen sense of smell. She paid him little mind; letting him go about his work in peace and undisturbed until he shouted a name that the aspiring investigator wasn’t expecting to hear again for quite some time.

“Emmett!”

Desirae glanced over at Tomo just before he took off deeper into the mines. For a moment, she had little reaction to his outburst beyond the furrowing of her brow. Then, after a brief delay, she recalled how he’d just been scouring the area for familiar scents and her confusion quickly gave way to concern and disbelief.

“Wait, WHAT!?

The sound of Simin’s voice pulled her attention back to him. The man seemed to be just as confused by this development as she was. Wide-eyed, she shook her head and shrugged her shoulders.

“N-nothing! Nothing! I think he… he must have recognized a scent in here. I’ll bring him back. Let me just um…”

Her gaze shifted away from him and towards the tunnels ahead. Desirae put her notepad away, grabbed one of the still-lit lanterns, then began to make her way deeper into the mines after Tomo. Her pace was much slower than his and her steps were made with far more caution. All the while, she kept a watchful eye on the ground below for signs of puppy tracks in case the caverns ended up branching deeper down.

“Tomo! Tomo, don’t just run off like that!” she called out to him, “We need to stay with Simin! It’s not safe down here!”

The_Pugilist_by_MattDixon_on_DeviantArt.jpgSimin.jpg“Oh, you'll bring him back, aye?” Simin scoffed as he hoisted his pickaxe back onto his shoulder. “Ya not going anywhere without me, lady.” He insisted and marched forward to guide her deeper into the tunnel. While Desirae's calls drowned out his muttered swearing as they moved.

As the two of them cautiously made their way deeper into the darkness, and the light of Desirae's lantern became their only source, the walls began to show white and light blue slivers. Thin veins ran through the stone. Visible whenever the lantern light touched it. The presence of color became more plentiful over time. An indication that the deposit Simin had mentioned was drawing near. And before too long, something appeared up ahead. A small red dot in the center of the darkness accompanied by mechanical movement and low growling.

They moved in closer, and the lantern light sufficiently illuminated the scene that appeared to be a makeshift mining operation. Lost equipment lined the stone walls. Two support beams held a sturdy plank as a makeshift desk for samples of ore and paperwork. And beneath that desk sat a large burlap sack.

About 50 feet further ahead, shining in the lantern light, was the source of the color that spread throughout the nearby stone: A massive ore deposit guarded by a small construct with a target painted on its chest. Barely half the size of a human, it puffed out exhaust gas as its mechanical fingers wrapped tight around a pickaxe. Ready to fend off the assailing dog that had found its hideout on a scent.

Tomo
Tomo_the_Alchemist.jpgThe assailing dog, Tomo, stood alert. Roughly 20 feet between him and his target. “Who'r ye?!” He barked loud, a low growling undertone to his words. “Why'r ye smellin' like me master?!” He demanded to know as he took a step forward. The discovery of something other than Emmett smelling like him had both confused and upset him to the point of aggression. In response to the threat, the red dot serving as the construct's eye darted around before beginning to blink.

I know ye don't have him 'ere! Ye smell faint!” Another step forward, and the blinking sped up slightly - seemingly reacting to Tomo advancing closer. Yet, the construct stood its ground. “Whe'r ye hidin' him?! Answer!

Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Last edited:
Desirae Foul

Desirae.jpg
Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

Tomo’s astute nose had uncovered more than a few secrets lurking deep within the mine.

Tools littered about that may or may not have been reported missing. A workstation that appeared to have seen recent use. A vein of whatever ore likely started the chain of events that lead to the appearance of “The Ghost of Norroburry Mine”. And, most curiously, an automaton that carried his master’s scent.

“There you are.”

Thankfully, his eagerness hadn’t gotten him hurt.

Without a moment's hesitation, Desirae’s first course of action was to scan the place with [Eye of the Sleuth], but with particular emphasis on the ore vein, the robot, and the workstation just nearby.

It was clear that Tomo didn’t recognize the petite machine standing before him. Things like that didn’t exist in their old world but, then again, neither did stealth cloaks or the innate ability to literally scan for skills and abilities of those around you at a glance. And, as Tomo demanded an answer from the unusually quiet machine, a thought popped into Desirae’s mind.

“It may not possess the ability to speak like you and I, Tomo.”

She walked up just behind Tomo, but no further. Then, she knelt down to get at eye-level with the machine.

“Can you understand me, machine? We don’t want to hurt you, we just want information. If you can speak, it would be wise to do so. If not...” she brought her right hand up with her palm open; as though she were raising her hand in a classroom, “Raise your hand like this to confirm that you can understand me."

Desirae gave the robot a few moments to respond- if it was going to respond- before she glanced back at Simin. Obviously the presence of this machine conflicted with his story. It damn sure wasn’t a ghost, nor was it acting particularly hostile. But, then again, it wasn’t like he’d given her any resistance when she asked to explore the mine, either.

“Simin, are you at all familiar with this automaton?” she asked; watching his reactions with a skeptical eye, “I know I haven’t gotten to ask you yet, but can you confirm that the tools we passed on the way down match the description of those that were stolen?”

Down here in the mines, Desirae and her companion were surrounded by every-growing mystery. But it was looking like they were on the cusp of identifying a prime suspect in this case. And thankfully, it wasn't some horrifying spirit come to scare the daylights out of her.

Action 1) Used Eye of the Sleuth
Eye of the Sleuth- Appraisal E, Traps F, Perception F, Investigation F- Desirae utilizes her senses and mind to the fullest to gain information about a scene and everyone in it. It’s a bit tiresome to do, but no so much that she can’t push herself

Tomo
Tomo_the_Alchemist.jpgThe air seemed filled with tension as the sounds of growling and whirring battled for dominance over the otherwise silent tunnel. Tomo's patience was running out – and fast – but before he took another paw forward, he was interrupted by Desirae. When her voice added to the mix of sounds, it made his ears perk up. And he swung his head back to look at his partner. “Sorry for runnin' ahead...” He apologized before his ears fell back flat once more.

But that machine is smellin' like Emmett!” Tomo explained and the snarling tone returned. “I couldn't risk losin' trail, ye understand?

While Tomo remained partially distracted by Desirae, the little construct used the opportunity to further defend the ore deposit behind it. It swung its pickaxe down and carved a line into the stone before its feet. The movement of the blinking dot suggested it was admiring its handiwork. Then, the dot centered on Desirae as she addressed the construct. After a moment of silence, the whirring of mechanical parts resumed. Exhaust puffed out of the construct as its grasp on the pickaxe loosened. It raised up one of its hands and awaited Desirae's response to its action.

Simin.jpg“Ya trying to make friends, lady?” Simin asked, unimpressed. The disgruntled dwarf had turned his attention The_Pugilist_by_MattDixon_on_DeviantArt.jpgto the workbench rather than getting involved with the construct. So engrossed in shuffling through papers, he could not bother looking up as he answered Desirae.

“Can't say I know it, lady.” He said shortly after taking a quick glance at the construct. “Aye, the gear is ours, though. That bag of bolts and smoke must've stolen it...”

“So, if ya done playing with that thing, I suggest ya come take a look at this stuff.” He suggested, waving the sheet of paper in his hand to entice the detective.

“For a closed tunnel, there's quite some paydirt being pushed...” Simin muttered out loud and put the paper down in favor of raising one of two ore samples. “Looks like mythril to me, lady, and it's rich. This damn piece is purer than--” Simin's comparison was cut short by loud mechanical whirring drawing his attention. Without crossing the line in the stone, the little construct raised its pickaxe and struck the ground multiple times. The now rapidly blinking red dot locked onto the ore sample in Simin's hand.

“Oi, oi, calm down!” Simin hastily replied and put the ore down. “This what's getting ya bolts in a twist, aye?” He added after watching the construct calm back down. “Damn constructs...”

“What's ya plan, lady?” Simin questioned as he turned to Desirae with a raised eyebrow and an equally raised pickaxe – tapping the handle impatiently against the palm of his hand. “I say we scrap the little bastard...”

An' then what?” Tomo interjected, turning towards Simin. “I'm not leavin' before I know where me master is!” He had somewhat calmed down after seeing the construct respond in an intelligent manner to Desirae, but Simin's suggestion made his stubbornness momentarily resurface. Resulting in a loud huff, and refusal to continue interacting with the dwarf for the time being.

Think ye can convince it explain itself, Desirae?” Tomo turned towards the redhead detective instead and asked hopefully, with a slight tilt of his head. “It's listenin' to ye, right?

???
Equipped Titles: Minion, Construct
Height: 0.80m / 2'7”
Weight: 90 kg / 200 lbs
Stats: Vitality F, Speed F
Skills: Affinity Explosion F, Magic Range F
Abilities: Impact Charge - ???
Surrounding Area – Deep Mine
The ore deposit guarded by the little construct appears to be high-purity Mythril. It is visibly coursing with energy, which you can only assume is magical in nature. Additionally, the faint smell of bread lingers in the air...

Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Desirae Foul

Desirae.jpg
Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

The situation was... less than ideal.

Tomo wanted detailed information from an automaton who lacked the ability to speak. Simon wanted to start a fight with the thing. Her scan revealed that the automaton, itself, was packing low grade explosive ordinance that might’ve killed any one of them immediately. There was a silver lining here, though.

Perhaps it simply didn’t want to kill them. Perhaps it didn’t want to risk drawing unnecessary attention to itself. Or, perhaps, it was just as worried about the cavern coming down onto their heads as Desirae was. But, for whatever reason, the automaton didn’t seem to want to start a fight in the mines. The aspiring detective took a deep breath to calm her nerves.

She could work with that.

“This automaton’s just a tool, Simin. A minion constructed to serve whoever’s after the mythril in the mines,” she explained, walking over to the dwarf and taking the papers from his hands, “Getting mad at it would be the equivalent of blaming a burglar’s lockpick for the items missing from your home. And it certainly wouldn’t get at the root of the problem.”

Desirae began reading over the papers, trusting Tomo and Simin to keep an eye on the construct for her in the meantime. And, for now, she decided not place emphasis on the seemingly obvious connection between “The Ghost of Norroburry Mine” and Emmet Downing with hopes of keeping emotions from rising any higher in this delicate situation. After she finished going over them, she turned to the machine.

“Automaton. I know you want us out of your hair so that you can finish mining the mythril. Well, we need information. So, let’s make a deal that gets us all what we want. You answer a few ‘yes/no’ questions for us, and we leave you in peace to do your work. Does that work for everyone?”

She glanced around the room. At Tomo, the hound who just wanted to find his master and, otherwise, probably didn’t care about the robot at all. At Simin, the miner who wanted the culprit brought to justice rather than just one of his tools. The automaton, himself, was a wildcard. There was no way of knowing just how complex his programming and orders were. But if his master wasn’t expecting company and his primary objective really was to just to collect the mythril ore, then he might’ve proven to be a valuable source of information on what was actually going on in this town.

It was too bad that he hadn't displayed any capacity for speech.

“Raise your right hand if you agree. Left if not.”

Tomo
Tomo_the_Alchemist.jpgThe tension-filled air in the tunnel slowly faded. Desirae's clever thinking had managed to establish a form of communication with the small construct, and as a result, the risk of physical conflict had minimized significantly. The tunnel was safe from potential destabilization on the back of an explosion - for the time being. Still, it was a significant development considering the clues caught within the blast radius would have been lost forever.

Using the bought time to investigate, Desirae stepped away from the ongoing standoff between Tomo and the small construct. And in doing so, caught them both off-guard. As she joined Simin at the workstation, the two adversaries appeared more interested in following the redhead detective's movements than glaring at one another.

The small construct lowered its arm as the red dot tracked Desirae's movements with curious intent. It was more interested in knowing what she would do now, considering she had just taught it a method to communicate with her. Tomo, on the other hand, laid down on the cold ground. Resting near the line carved into the stone, he slowly inched his paw closer to the line until the construct noticed. Upon which Tomo would retract his paw and start again.

Not crossin' ye line 'ere, am I?” Tomo asked impishly. He felt it was justified to be a mild nuisance to something actively annoying him in return. Apart from warning Tomo with the blinking of the red dot, the construct had little to no response to his pestering.

The_Pugilist_by_MattDixon_on_DeviantArt.jpgSimin.jpg“Aye, just a tool, lady...” Simin reluctantly repeated as Desirae joined his side at the workstation. “Still, if somebody were killed with a sword, ya would try to use it to find the bastard if ya could, understand?” He explained himself as he let her take the paper from his hand.

Reading through the scattered documents, Desirae gained more insight into the mining operation and the mythril deposit the small construct was defending. According to the writing, the purity of the ore was 'some of the most pristine he had ever graded'. The following papers contained further details on the reason for that grading, and it all appeared to be valid paperwork until she found something that stood out...

A document regarding an under-the-table deal with an unspecified trader that would receive a large quantity of the high-purity ore in exchange for a single unit of 'rubedo core'. It also included what Desirae could only assume to be a delivery address, but not one easily tracked down. At the bottom of the page, scribbled lines read the mythril had to be delivered to 'that wandering factory'.

“Oi, lady...” Simin said in a hushed tone and tapped his finger against the papers. “This ain't ya normal mineral order. No idea about this rubedo core, but I'm sure as hell some rat is pawning off Norroburry paydirt for personal profit. Best be careful, ya hear?”

After learning all she could, Desirae turned towards the small construct. It appeared attentive as the redhead detective explained the deal she wished to make. More importantly, it was receptive to the idea of exchanging answers for peaceful working conditions. The mechanical whirring picked up again, and the construct placed its pickaxe onto the ground. A gesture of trust that compelled both Tomo and Simin to agree to the deal's terms as well.

And with everyone brought back on the same page by the quick-witted Desirae, the small construct opened the interview with a raise of its right hand.

Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Desirae Foul

Desirae.jpg
Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

“Don’t worry, Simin. Irwin hired me as an investigator, not a soldier,” she did her best to reassure him, “I don’t plan on starting any fights if I can help it. That's what his men are for when and if the time comes.”

Granted, her introduction to the thief’s automaton was less than ideal but that was a conversation to be had later after they’d left the mine. She folded the papers and stuffed them into her back pocket; useful evidence to bring to the Militia Captain later. Then she turned back to the automaton.

“Alright, let’s stick with a system that we know works. Right hand for yes, left hand for no.”

There was no way to know just how much this minion knew. The machine’s inability to speak severely limited the kinds of questions that she could ask it, and she’d have to verify for herself just how truthful it was later, but she wasn’t foolish enough to pass up on this goldmine that had presented itself. She would keep the questions nice and simple.

“Let’s start with three questions. First, are you the only automaton serving your creator here in Norroburry?”

A pause to give him a moment to think and answer.

“Second, are you working with ‘The Ghost of Norroburry Mine’? To clarify, I’m referring to the translucent entity that’s been scaring away the miners.”

Another, longer pause this time. Not just to give it time to answer, but to question whether or not she even should’ve asked this last question. So far, she managed to keep the situation relatively civil. Still, she felt she was taking a gamble with this last one.

“Your creator... would his name happen to be 'Emmett Downing'?”

Last edited:
The_Pugilist_by_MattDixon_on_DeviantArt.jpgSimin.jpgSimin nodded in quiet agreement. He had no interest in hearing the construct out but had to admit it was a necessary evil. And if it remained verbal... “Aye, then take the floor, lady...” He muttered reluctantly before turning toward the construct. As Desirae began her unorthodox interrogation, Simin leaned back against the workstation. Appearing content in his role as the silent observer, but his crossed arms and scowl hinted at something less civil swirling around his thoughts.

At the same time, the construct appeared to liven up from Desirae's attention. A faint glow was momentarily visible through the small grate on its chest. The eerily quiet tunnel soon filled with the telltale mechanical whirring as the construct raised both its right and left hand at the moments Desirae prompted them. It appeared to understand the assignment. Yet, without any discernable body language, its motivations remained shrouded in mystery.

When the first question arose, the construct immediately ceased movement as it processed the request alongside a puff of exhaust. And the tunnel returned to pensive silence. For a moment, the construct almost appeared unsure. Then, it raised its right hand with as much visible conviction as a nearly featureless face could express. The first answer seemed to be a 'yes'.

The second question took less consideration and resulted in the same response. A definitive show of its right hand locking in another 'yes'.

Tomo
Tomo_the_Alchemist.jpgSurprisingly, it appeared eager to continue. The experience of interacting with the detective seemed enjoyable rather than serious for the construct. It was only when the third question arose that the air in the tunnel grew heavy with tension. So far, Tomo had taken a similar approach as Simin. Lazing on the tunnel floor, he refrained from interfering as long as Desirae effortlessly remained in control of the conversation. Until she mentioned Emmett...

Tomo's ears perked up immediately, and he hastily lifted his head off the cold floor. Then, his accusatory gaze snapped onto Desirae. “What'r ye--?!” His attention rapidly shifted before he could finish his sentence. Eyes now locked onto the raising of the construct's left hand. After considerating silently for a moment, it appeared the construct's final answer was-- “No,” Tomo huffed, “an' what else could 'ave been?” He questioned as he turned toward his partner again. The vexation in his eyes demanded answers. “What're ye gettin' at, Desirae?

Gwen_Temi Gwen_Temi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back