Viewpoint Is it ok for a male to Role as a female

Why would it be a problem.

The only problem I can imagine involved here would be wish-fulfillment, at which point it becomes a rather major topic for reflection.

I think it's perfectly fine. In fact I'd encourage it, as a writer it's important to know how to portray different types of characters. I personally view roleplaying as a form of writing, so I think it's important to learn to portray different types of characters. I agree with what PauciloquentPumpkin PauciloquentPumpkin said, I think it would be weird if you read a book where all the characters are the same gender as the author. In my opinion, it's actually a good practice to roleplay characters of both genders, as well as you'd want to roleplay characters with different personalities, backstories, ethnicities, etc.

I'm a male, and I've played female characters almost as much as I've played male characters. It's good to expand and learn to play more kinds of characters. I personally think that a good writer needs to know how to play characters that are different from himself/herself, and gender isn't an exception. So go ahead, don't be shy. As Malphaestus Malphaestus said, I think the only moment where it would be a problem is if was for wish-fulfillment. Just remember that every character is a person with a complex personality that's defined by more than just their gender. Give female characters the same depth and amount of personality you give male characters, and you should be doing well.

Tbh, it’s fine, that’s the thing about roleplaying, we do it to fantasize of being something we aren’t even if that means a gender change!

Yes. It's fine.
It's no different that a male writer writing for female characters in a story. Play a character that's interesting for you to play, and that's it :)

RPing as another gender is super common. I think as with any RP, you just have to do it well and people will be happy. Focus on the character rather the gender.

People roleplay the opposite gender all the time. You should try it out, see how it goes.

It's totally okay. Hell, I'm a female and half of my ocs are male. As long as you're having fun, I see no problem with it!

It is okay, with a caveat. Don't be creepy about it. There were so, so many times I noped out of a roleplay because dudes insisted on describing their character's breasts incessantly. Basically, treat them like human beings with an actual personality and it will be fine.
This and to tack onto it, there are a lot of works out there with male authors who write as females or write about females and do it with a cringe factor. I've read in one work where a man described a woman like, "her breasts seemed to smile". That doesn't even make sense 😂 so just be mindful of how you write

I mean my main OC is a girl and so far I haven't run into any problems...yet. I'm still new to this so my opinion may not matter to you.

Yes, go right ahead. I think part of it helps you grow as a writer when you're not just limited to one gender. I used to just write only females as I relate being one myself but when you take out the gender as a sole focus and just write for the character you can do some amazing things.

This and to tack onto it, there are a lot of works out there with male authors who write as females or write about females and do it with a cringe factor. I've read in one work where a man described a woman like, "her breasts seemed to smile". That doesn't even make sense 😂 so just be mindful of how you write
"Her breasts seemed to smile"???

There isn't anything wrong with that I would think, as long as you don't appropriate or stereotype the other gender it should be fine for a writer to write from the perspective of the opposite gender. I for one as a female often write male characters, and I know some males who regularly write female characters so I don't see any issue with it

If it's not okay then I would have quite a few characters I'd be no longer allowed to RP as simply because of my gender, haha!

Seriously though, it's fine.

If people could only rp as themselves it wouldn't be rp.

It would also be tremendously boring. I RP as alien/fantasy critters for that reason, because I have not only no interest in RPing as ME, I have no interest in RPing humans. Because I am one. And that leads to:

IWe're all humans, and one thing I love about roleplaying is that all the stereotypes and prejudices attached to someone can dissapear when embracing the role of an original character, and I believe that that allows us to see the world through another perspective.

Exactly! Only I take it one step further. Going not only out of my gender, but out of my own skin, so I can not only explore the whole male/female aspect, but can use non-humans to give a different perspective on humanity. Both aspects are points of view.

Though I don't do as many females as I probably should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back