Is it me or... is rping getting predictable and dull?

I imagine you're happy others don't feel that way?  Otherwise you'd have a tough time finding any RP, original or not.

*chuckles* Quite so, quite so. I have my failings as everyone else does. Humanity is a bit of a bitch, no ones perfect but hey. Life would be so boring if we all lived in a perfect world. Gotta have the darkness so you can appreciate the Light. One has to know war to find solace in peace.
One of the reasons that I got a shirt saying, When I die im going straight down to Hell where the fun people are.  

A friend of mine said I should publish my works on the 7 Realms Rp that I did with a large group once and I replied. "If I did, I'd be arrested within the first month."

She asked why and I replied. "Because the first gay fan fiction I see of Mikhail and Kyridian or of my god damn Dredge im going to find and strangle that bitch."

*chuckles* Quite so, quite so. I have my failings as everyone else does. Humanity is a bit of a bitch, no ones perfect but hey. Life would be so boring if we all lived in a perfect world.

I just wanted to point out that by growing as a roleplayer you can/could become the solution to your frustrations.  And what's more empowering than that?  As a bonus, if you do create a fresh RP for the site you might help alleviate the frustrations of a few other unsatisfied folks.  Essentially, you're apart of a creative circle of life.

Dare to move up the food chain.

*groans in despair* Oh you understand my suffering. 
My idea of a good CS is about 2 or 3 pages of backstory, personality and etc. I usually, when certain that the rp in question is going to last longer than a week, will put in 4 or 5 if excited and I think the largest I've ever done CS wise was for the Serai'Drakhoul alien race and that was like 30 pages of shit. 

So when I see a giant anime picture and then maybe a paragraph for name, gender, personality and the words he likes and he hates written more times than 5 I cringe inwardly. Or the stereotypes which are so obvious that I again cringe, now im not above stereotypes for they do have their purpose but... only if used with tact know what I mean.

Unless it's a detailed rp (not a simple or casual rp) I will be pretty lazy. I'll just plop a character out and have some fun. But there was this one rp I had where I was really invested but it stopped.... My CS was atleast 7 pages long.

Predictable, yes, dull, not so much

i don't really care if an rp is predictable, I like to stick around and see if I'm wrong, I'll admit there was only one case where I absolutely despised a persons writing style (still do cuz the man can't make a post to save his life) if I'm bored of an rp I suck it up and stick around anyway, there is always that off chance that it could get Interesting. If not then oh well, no harm done, it is after all just a harmless rp. I can get and sympathize with your reasoning, but I don't necessarily agree with it, maybe I'm just too optimistic, who knows. What I do know is, even when I'm bored in still having fun, even if it did get dull I'm still having fun. Pretending to be something I'm not in an rp is fun, one way or another I try to make the best out of the rp's I join.

I have this problem with RP's dedicated to pairings, but not ones that actually have a plot. I usually try to come up with interesting plots to warrant a RP over, but I've found many people on this site just want to RP pairings. 

i haven't read all of these, but i skimmed, so i apologize in advance if i sound repetitious.

i agree and disagree almost equally. as someone who rarely joins a roleplay that i didn't make myself, i can agree that i am seeing a lot of plots that are basically just recycled versions of a lot of other things, but i don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. roleplaying is supposed to be fun, not a chore. i've had far too many rps die for the sake of focusing too much on detail and not enough on fun, i've loosened up as a gm, and i think as a player too. i do disagree on the lack of creativity overall, though, as i see a lot of very creative roleplays being made every day (i don't mean to brag, but i feel like a great deal of mine are very unique and creative, as are the roleplays my friends brainstorm).

in the long run, having fun is significantly more important than anything else with all of this. if you're not finding what you're looking for, try making it yourself. that's what lead me to being a gm.

oh, and just as a side note, totally agree on the stereotype thing. if you're going to play a character, do it right, don't just base it on whatever stereotype you've heard. that's one of my biggest pet peeves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back