Other Is a paragraph enough?

Is a paragraph enough?

• Yes

Votes: 49 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 27 35.5%

• Total voters
I could respond to that.... but then I would feel like I would have to drop to your level of response for that post... I don't think it's fair that I have to dull down my creativity to your level. If I want quality and quality I find rpers like me.

If I want to dull down my responses and not put any effort into these characters I have created I would join one liner rpers where a paragraph is over doing it.
Okay now your just insulting me for no reason. I have half a mind to report you. But no I won't. I will compose myself and settle this like an adult. Even if I'm not. Now. I will ask again: please explain why the first example was lackluster.

How did I insult you when you asked for an explanation.
I thought that was a response to my asking for an explanation saying you wouldn't do it because I asked for it in simple terms. And it's still insulting because your insulting my work. I used that in an actual rp. And it still didn't explain it because it didn't say why you find it lackluster just that you find it lackluster.

And also: this is meant to be a friendly debate which means no insults and trying not to lose your temper.

Please report me for expressing myself. There are levels in rping. One liners, casual and detailed.

Excuse me for you reading things out of context. I only stated that I have to hold back on my creativity due to a small post that I felt was lacking.

Or the fact that I was merely asking what level an rp was going to be and that I like detailed rps and not one liners or short posts. I never insulted you I just stated that the post was not to my speed. You created this thread... and now you can't handle other people's opinions.

Which is how this all started. I even made it clear that in my opinion a paragraph is a one line to me.... I never said that other people get the same way I said how I felt.

I thought that was a response to my asking for an explanation saying you wouldn't do it because I asked for it in simple terms. And it's still insulting because your insulting my work. I used that in an actual rp. And it still didn't explain it because it didn't say why you find it lackluster just that you find it lackluster.

And also: this is meant to be a friendly debate which means no insults and trying not to lose your temper.
You never made this a friendly debate. Starting up a thread was you trying to find others to help you argue your opinion. Meanwhile those in the rp where this topic counts all voted for longer posts.

You stated that long posts are boring. I like long posts and I post them... yet I found no offense in you saying long posts are boring. Yet when I say small posts are lacking and not my level you get mad.

Please report me for expressing myself. There are levels in rping. One liners, casual and detailed.

Excuse me for you reading things out of context. I only stated that I have to hold back on my creativity due to a small post that I felt was lacking.

Or the fact that I was merely asking what level an rp was going to be and that I like detailed rps and not one liners or short posts. I never insulted you I just stated that the post was not to my speed. You created this thread... and now you can't handle other people's opinions.

Which is how this all started. I even made it clear that in my opinion a paragraph is a one line to me.... I never said that other people get the same way I said how I felt.
Okay now you really are insulting me. I read it out of context and now your calling me out for that. I started this thread because I like debates not because and because this topic interested me. You didn't say the post was not your speed you said that, and I quote, "if I wanted to dull down my responses and not put any effort into the character I created I would join the one liner rpers where a paragraph is overdoing it." That right there is saying that I put no effort into my characters when I do. You also did not state why you didn't like it only that you didn't like it. I repeatedly asked for an explanation and you just stated the same thing over and over again in a different way. I'm fine with your opinion.

You stated that long posts are boring. I like long posts and I post them... yet I found no offense in you saying long posts are boring. Yet when I say small posts are lacking and not my level you get mad.

Your work is boring

Get on my level

One of those is a poorly expressed opinion, the other is self-worship.

Okay now you really are insulting me. I read it out of context and now your calling me out for that. I started this thread because I like debates not because and because this topic interested me. You didn't say the post was not your speed you said that, and I quote, "if I wanted to dull down my responses and not put any effort into the character I created I would join the one liner rpers where a paragraph is overdoing it." That right there is saying that I put no effort into my characters when I do. You also did not state why you didn't like it only that you didn't like it. I repeatedly asked for an explanation and you just stated the same thing over and over again in a different way. I'm fine with your opinion.
If you find my opinion insulting or you think I am making fun of you report me. I never called you names or even said a curse word or nothing.

I didn't like the post because if I was rping with you I would have to pick up the extra slack in making the rp enjoyable for me too. Rps have two or more people involved. You pick your partners wisely so you can have fun and that's why we are here.

And this was not a debate...

You felt like you had to prove something because you didn't like that the level of the rp was changing.

And if you want someone to enjoy your posts find someone at your level. Just like I try to find rps at my level or close to it.

What makes a post a good post?

It's opinion over fact because everyone is different and has their own taste and style in how they like their role plays.

What makes a post a good post?

It's opinion over fact because everyone is different and has their own taste and style in how they like their role plays.
Exactly
And putting others down for their style is not nice.
Hence, declaring that people who post a paragraph don't care about the role-play is mean.

Exactly
And putting others down for their style is not nice.
Hence, declaring that people who post a paragraph don't care about the role-play is mean.
He stated that detail doesn't mater and that it was a waist of time....

So he put my style down first... how is that any different from what I have stated?

He even stated that he won't read detailed posts because he finds them boring.

So if I wanted to really express my character he would just skim the post and then post his paragraph. To me that's mean and insulting. As a role player I have my own style and I choose to rp and share that style. When another rper disregards my effort and hard work... that's insulting. And to respond with a lesser post where detail was over looked is not the kind of rps I partake in.

His post seemed very one sided... both of the examples.

I now wonder how the other rper felt... did they feel cheated out of the work they put into expressing their characters?

He stated that detail doesn't mater and that it was a waist of time....

So he put my style down first... how is that any different from what I have stated?
Be the bigger man, but in any case, that shouldn't affect it.
Some people can type a quality story in a paragraph
And yes, sometimes you do have to do more work to pull someone else's weight.
That proves that you have passion, even if they don't.
If you have creativity and the energy, you can make a response from a one liner.

Levels of roleplay.

One liner: one sentence to a paragraph.

Casual: two to three paragraphs.

Detailed: three to five and up.

As of the question, does a paragraph count as a post.. yes in a onliner roleplay.

In casual and higher levels... it is seen as a one liner... Due to the levels of roleplay and what rpers are expecting.

That is fact over opinion.

For me, it depends on the situation. Sometimes a shorter response is called for in a rp, whether the writer has nothing to really response to or the situation in the rp doesn't give much room to response. Maybe, the partners is just looking for a quick react and respond post so that the rp can move along.

A well-written paragraph that moves the story along and gives people something to reply/react to is enough.

Sometimes there's is not enough to reply to anyway, because all the characters did was speak one sentence to the other. It depends on the style of the writer too. Some people like being direct and start by addressing what happened in the past post right away and that is fine! It works!

I, however, like dwelling in the internal monologues of my characters in the narration and reacting to pretty much everything that was given to me to react to before I start adding in new things. It's my writing style and it doesn't fit into a one paragraph structure. It's just not enough space for me!

I just think we should be more respectful and mindful of the writing styles.
To me, progressing the story in some way is already enough and I wouldn't mind having a one paragraph post once in a while, even if surrounded by larger ones.

In a similar way, I hope people to not mind my big posts too much.
Even in a one-liner RP, you're probably going to get three to five paragraphs from me, I can't help it. If it does bother people, I can't do anything other than leave. Which has not been the case yet, and I'm very grateful for it >w<

Last edited:
This whole conversation started on opinion not fact. As I have clearly stated form the beginning.
Levels of roleplay.

As of the question, does a paragraph count as a post.. yes in a onliner roleplay.

In casual and higher levels... it is seen as a one liner... Due to the levels of roleplay and what rpers are expecting.

um... Dude. A paragraph is casual. If it wasn't I wouldn't be getting away with it in casual RPs. I don't even touch one liner RPs.
He even stated that he won't read detailed posts because he finds them boring.
i never said that. I'll read them but I will only read the parts I find nessesary to the plot of the roleplay or that I think might be important for my character to notice. Because when I roleplay I'm literally my character. That's my style. If someone is describing how comfy a chair is I will skip over that part of the post because I don't really care about how comfy the chair is.

If you find my opinion insulting or you think I am making fun of you report me. I never called you names or even said a curse word or nothing.

I didn't like the post because if I was rping with you I would have to pick up the extra slack in making the rp enjoyable for me too. Rps have two or more people involved. You pick your partners wisely so you can have fun and that's why we are here.

And this was not a debate...

You felt like you had to prove something because you didn't like that the level of the rp was changing.

And if you want someone to enjoy your posts find someone at your level. Just like I try to find rps at my level or close to it.
You never made this a friendly debate. Starting up a thread was you trying to find others to help you argue your opinion. Meanwhile those in the rp where this topic counts all voted for longer posts.

Okay now your making baseless accusations to paint yourself as a victim. I've seen it a million times. Used it a thousand more. Wish I had a bingo card with me because I would have one psychology bingo right now. I think I've stated several times that this was a friendly debate. And you did not say that small posts are lacking in a polite and friendly way. You quite literally said they were dull and to answer them you would have to dull down your posts and several times you have said that I don't care about my characters or the RPs when the fact that I am still here means I do. I'm usually the one who's trying his best to keep the rp alive. That's dedication. Some RPs I care about less than others. Those I opt out of before i make a fool of myself in front of others.

Levels of roleplay.

I would like you to realize that it is possible for a detailed role-play to accept smaller posts in the context.
For example, this is a detailed role-play.
Here is my character introduction:
Emile watched from the MAC gun as Six put his arms out, dropping off the Package. Emile glanced up and did a double take as he saw a Covenant cruiser bearing straight for the Pillar of Autumn. His comms crackled as Captain Keyes spoke.

"Cruiser! Adjusting heading for the Autumn. Noble, 4, I need fire on that cruiser or we're not getting out of here! Do you copy?" Emile patched himself through.

"You'll have your window, sir." Emile aimed the MAC at the cruiser's underbelly. He knew that he would only be able to fire when the cruiser began to activate its glassing laser. Any other time, and the cruiser would be able to tank the shot with little to no damage. He heard the whir of a phantom's engines half a second before he heard the dropship's cannon firing. He looked back at Six's position and saw that the pelican accompanying the captain had been hit in its starboard tail engine.

It could still fly in that condition, but when the phantom hit the pelican's left wing engine, there was no saving the bird. It crashed onto the platform Six was on, before tumbling a fatal distance to the bottom of the cliff face. He shook his head, but stopped when he realized that the phantom's new bearing was straight for him. He couldn't get the MAC gun aimed and fired in time to destroy it before it reached wherever it was going.

The phantom flew over him and turned sharply, killing its forward momentum, and hovered just above him. It listed starboard slightly, and the grunt manning the plasma cannon on that side fired a burst of plasma. Emile was prepared to take the hits, but the plasma fire wasn't aimed at him. It was aimed at Six in an attempt to ensure he could not fire on the phantom. His rifle wouldn't have damaged the phantom itself, and Emile connected the dots that meant it was dropping troops at the moment a zealot-class elite leapt from the side of the phantom. It landed on the side of the MAC gun, and before Emile could get his shotgun up, it took a swing at him.

He shouted in surprise, anger, and pain, rolled into a single yell, and fired on the elite. Its shields flared, almost having been snuffed out, and it was knocked off the side of Emile's seat. It didn't have the chance to right itself before a second shell from his shotgun pierced straight through the shields, killing the elite instantly. Emile pumped his shotgun and looked in the direction the phantom had gone to see if he could spot any further hostiles. He couldn't see a thing.

"Who's next!?" He tried to taunt them out of hiding, to no avail. They didn't need taunting, it turned out. Emile heard a roar behind him and was lifted into the air, an energy sword having impaled him in the back, straight through his shields. It was sticking out of him at least a foot. Emile cried out, once again, in pain, and dropped his shotgun.

But through the pain, and the darkness edging around his vision, he could see that his instincts had taken over. He had drawn his knife, and he knew what to do from there. The second zealot, in the meantime, had pulled the sword back out of Emile to cause him further pain, and lifted him in the air with its free hand in triumph. Emile grabbed the arm and flipped himself around so that he was facing the elite. He drew the hand that held the knife back, and he could see the fear and realization dawn into the elite's eyes. He smiled.

"I'm ready!" He shouted, plunging the knife into the neck of the elite with all his strength, completely disregarding its shields. "How 'bout you?" He used his momentum, and the elite's complete lack thereof, to push them both off the MAC cannon. It lacerated the elite's neck further and caused it even worse pain. He hit the ground with alongside the elite with a thud that made him gasp in shock from the pain. He still had a grip on the elite, though, and he could tell it was still alive, though just barely.

So to solve the problem permanently he pulled the knife out and plunged it into the other side of the elite's neck. The elite gargled, choking on its own blue blood before going completely limp. Emile let go of his knife and pushed the elite off him. He tried to stand, but he couldn't get up. He had realized his injuries were probably fatal when he first saw a foot of blue light coming out of himself, but this confirmed it for him. The last thing he heard before everything went dark was Six say "I have the gun." He smiled, somehow knowing Six would succeed.

Emile's eyes popped open. He was dead... or was he? He didn't feel the pain of the wound anymore, and he didn't have his armor on, so heaven had that going for it. But he felt that heaven would have had more soul to it, so to speak. There weren't any angels. He pinched himself. Definitely wouldn't be pain in heaven, either. But it wasn't hell, either. So where was he? He looked around.
A... forest. Huge trees. So probably earth. He'd heard something about the redwood forests of the home of a marine, in North America.

He'd seen that marine later, flying past him at least 40 feet in the air after having taken a direct hit from a hunter's arm. Either way, clearly North America. He saw a city in the distance. A large one. So, if he remembered North America's big cities correctly, this could be Los Angeles, Mexico City, New York City, Philadelphia, Toronto, or Bahstahn.

Clearly, this was outside U.N.S.C. jurisdiction. The first clue was that Sinoviet, Vyrant Tellecom, and other familiar brand names were nowhere to be found on the largest buildings. The second was the signs pointing to "Millennium City," which he'd never heard of.

He wandered around, but everything seemed relatively normal, given the lack of a U.N.S.C. presence. Until he saw a diner with a madhouse of strange characters.
And here is a post I made in the middle of an action scene, and it was entirely acceptable in the role-play.
"You can't win as it stands. You sprung too ear-" A wave of electricity arced across the room, and hit everything. Unfortunately for Emile, he was part of everything, and he cried out in pain, dropping his shotgun before crouching to the floor in the lightning position, which brought the electricity away from Emile's heart. So while he didn't die, he didn't exactly enjoy it, either.
There is no fact or set standard.

Last edited:
It depends on the GM and what they expect.

If that was posted in a roleplay that I was GMing. No the smaller post would not be acceptable.

But then again, that's my standards. And trust me I have seen fight scenes where every single post in the fight scene was as long... If not longer than the intro post you have exampled.

I have been saying this from the start. Everyone has their own opinion towards rping. Some have standards and like to rp with others who have similar traits or similar skills.

Why this is a debate... Because someone can't except the fact that when people place effort into a post with detail get discouraged to continue an rp because others don't even bother reading their post. And then they respond with simple dialect and then complain when the other person feels cheated in the roleplay.

Defending a person who was in the wrong in the first place if beyond me. Get over the fact that people have standards and opinions. If you don't like it... Go find another roleplay. This is a big site with over thousands of roleplays to choose from.

And if you don't like any of them. Please feel free to make your own.

This is not a debate as to what length of a post makes it a post. A post is a post. Now depending on the parties involved. Some may think that a paragraph is not enough while others think it is fine. Everyone has their opinions. Why is it a debate over what people like and don't like?

Can we all just settle on the fact that people have the right to like what they like? And there is no harm in asking if there is a minimum length to a post?

But to drag such things on is pointless.

Please don't tag me in any more posts to this thread. Do not quote me either. I'm tired of people trying to change my opinion when it's mine! Not anyone else's...

Thank you for your time, and I hope everyone finds rps they like and rpers that like the same things.

Lol rip his sad attempt at disengaging himself from this thread when he didn't have anything else to twist to his own viewpoint.

The whole reason this is a debate is because, while yes, some people do have different opinions, and that is fine,
In the context of an *actual rp,* with *actual people being affected by your opinion,* people will begin to be heated.
That's the whole reason this is still a debate; because it pertains to actual circumstance.

The biggest reason for me is this:
While y o u r standards may be different, the GM of the original RP was going to set a paragraph as a minimum post length.
Because of what you wanted, you were pressuring the GM to force others to conform to your opinion.
If you had been the GM of the RP, it would have been completely ok. But this was someone else's RP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back