• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Iron & Fire: 2338 AD Interest Thread?!?

Verse Zero

YixKrUih.jpg

What is Iron & Fire: 2338 AD?

Iron & Fire: 2338 AD is a military science fiction role play that seeks to keep itself well grounded in realism. There are no aliens (yet) and we'll deliberately try to keep techno-babble to a minimum. The Role play itself is centered around the veteran warship TNV Valkyrie. It's triumphs and tribulations and it's ultimate fate is in the hands of you, those personnel aboard her.

The goal of the role play is to portray military science fiction seriously. The role play will play off of such human themes as religion, ideology, oppression, inequity, and politics. The role play will seek to simulate a warship/carrier in space with all the dangers and awesomeness that entails.

The Role Play in a more concise manner falls under these tags:

-Futuristic but grounded in realism & rationalism meant to portray a more realistic future.

-Detailed (at least 9 sentences per post AKA 3 paragraphs with bare bones structure)

What will happen?

The role play will center around military science fiction in the form of conflict and armed operations. This doesn't mean you will be continuously fighting as character development is never something to shirk away from. But it is to get away from the flashy, cheesy, over the top action and more back to the roots of the genre. You are not invincible and neither is the Valkyrie. But one thing is for certain that the Valkyrie along with the rest of the Terran Defense Forces is that they ensure the safety of Earth and all her Colonies.

Link to OOC

https://www.rpnation.com/threads/iron-fire-2338-ad.131495/

Some images for a feel of the gritty universe in question

fsly41Xl.jpg

cGsfmgSl.jpg

YFhI8PUl.jpg

I1xCXN3.jpg

There is a general plot premise to get the ball rolling at the start along with a conclusion. But how we get there is entirely up to the role players.

Right now as many as I can get. I've handled large scale role plays in the past so the exact size doesn't have an upper limit. I would prefer at least 4 or 5 people to start. I have it set up so if other people want to join they can without interrupting the progression of the role play.

Mind if I give this a shot? I tend to go for more abnormal types of characters, in that I stretch the limits of what I'm allowed to do. That archtype leans towards the special, one percent members of the population more often than not for these kinds of roleplays.

It would depend on how realistic your character is.

And what you have in mind for being 'unique' in this sort of setting. For your information, this is a detailed roleplay. The rules and limits for power/meta gaming are stricter.

It would be realistic in that it's possible, and has likely been done in history by a few exceptional individuals. Unrealistic in that it's a pipe-dream for an average Joe in the average world from average circumstances.

Well, as we are unable to determine average circumstances in a fantasy world like this, that has no bearing on the definition of unrealistic.

As I am pretty sure everybody's character is unique with his or her own skills and contribution to the crew of the Valkyrie.

Would you give an example of what you intend for you character to be? Keep it well grounded within realism and logic please, and a plausible explanation for said 'uniqueness'.

Ah, I was considering it from the point of view of the average person in the modern, real world. I believe it can be transferred relatively effectively here--even in different eras, evolution doesn't quite work so fast as to create serious change in the human populace in a few hundred years, unless genetic modification was involved somewhere between now and then. Let me know if it was or not so I can give you a better idea of what I want.

My character, he or she, could be exceptional through talents in a multitude of skills such as Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson. He could be remarkably intelligent like Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking. She may be innovative like Bill Gates or Leonardo da Vinci. He may be a strategic genius like Julius Caesar, or inspiring like Winston Churchill. She could be a strong leader along the likes of Abraham Lincoln or George Washington. Influential and persuasive like MLK, Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, or Caesar Chavez (I'll admit, these last few are poor examples in a military roleplay, but their character was nonetheless powerful).

Those examples were mainly from famous individuals, but there are certain to be others not quite as well known. They were generally considered exceptional for the impact that they had, sometimes through talent and other times through their character. The "uniqueness" I was looking for in my character would be along the lines of these people.

I have a few embryonic ideas, but nothing concrete as of yet. Perhaps, as a GM of sorts, you'd be willing to help me out?

I'm no GM really, @Verse Zero is the GM. But I could help you figure out something that would likely gain her approval. Also no, Iron & Fire has so far stayed away from Gene modding.

So in essence, you want somebody whose uniqueness is that he/she is particularly gifted in a certain field? I'm open to ideas being bounced off me.

Not exactly. They are exceptional in that they are significantly distinct from the normal person, but saying he or she is only skilled in a certain field is too extreme. Take my Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, or Leonardo da Vinci examples: each was skilled in many talents.

Do you prefer to bounce ideas here or in PM? I'm not adverse to either, but having a long discussion here can clutter the interest check. On the other hand, it's a great tool for bumping this thread naturally, could inspire other players to similarly contact you or give them ideas for their characters, and could definitely create a more lively impression of your roleplay. I'm not sure which one of you is in charge, but I'll let it be your call >.>

You can PM me :3

Skilled in many talents, I'm not exactly sure why would such a talented person be serving in a warship? They could be a celebrity or person of some importance somewhere else. The Valkyrie is a warship within a few years of being retired from active service. Also, being distinctly removed from the skill level of a normal person smells more to me like being overpowered. There is a thin line after all. But I am curious to seehow you would skirt that line.

Or you could wait for Zero herself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not opposed to the idea of 'exceptionally' good characters in what they do. I think Officer of the Watch would be a perfect example of this as that person has to multi-task the navigation, tactical, and oversee the CIC to assist the CO.

But yes, you can have a gifted character, but make sure to note that there is a VERY thin line between "gifted in intelligence" and overpowered. Those people you listed above are a few among many in their respective spheres of speciality.

Hello I'm interested in this RP though I have a couple questions. I'm seeing pictures of quite advanced looking robotics, so I want to know: have AIs been invented yet (if so how advanced are they) or are these mechs remotely controlled or operated from within? And in the case that AIs do exist would it be possible to play a character that is or is part AI (or otherwise altered by some kind of mechanics)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back