• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Interest check! looking to start a "Fantasy/Nation-building" RPG!

Once we have at least 3 fully fleshed out characters/factions -- we should be able to start the game, and based on activity (or lack thereof) we can add more factions and players from there if need be.

1) The Vespertilio, a race I created; or the Tormians, another race I created; if I must choose one of yours, I'd go with nomadic beastmen; maybe a group of escaped former slaves who just happen to be dragons.

2A) For the Vespertilio, it'd be a "utopian" society led by an elected "Domine" who is elected whenever his predecessor dies; usually the new one was the apprentice of the old. The Vespers are masters of telepathy and mental dominance, using their powers to enslave "lesser" races to do their bidding and grow their food and fight their wars.

2B) For the Tormians, they'd be a nomadic group of spartan-like warriors who travel the seas in exploration and have invaded many areas, allowing any species to join their ranks. They're mostly ax-wielding warriors who are led by a chief; the chief is decided by single combat.

2C) For the nomadic beastmen, it'd probably be wolf or cat people who travel in packs.

2D) For the dragons, they would be philosophers and writers and poets who dwell upon a mountain, wasting the days away in comfort.

3) I am up for both

4) I just thought it had potential

5) I'm old enough, I'm probably one of the two genders, I'm probably either LGBT or straight, I'm probably either white/black/asian/hispanic, etc. But, you can call me "Nevermore".

1) In order, Human, Elf, Dwarf, other (Im not too terribly fussed)

2) I would imagine my character to be a more melee focused sort of brawler, almost Viking like but perhaps a tad more noble. I would imagine his strengths to be melee combat and, to a lesser extent, leadership though inspiration and respect, with weaknesses being inept at ranged combat like magic or archery and bad a political intrigue and the finer aspects of 'medieval court etiquette'. I think he would likely be a substantial self made land owner who keeps to the rules despite no really liking them or, perhaps even a lesser 'underlord' who didn't really gel with their system to they sent him away to remove him from being a nuisance but I am as open to suggestions as you are. I think he somewhat believes their methods are for the right reason (rather immaturely thinking they actually want to keep the peace for everyone's sake) but disagrees with their methods thinking he could do a far better job.

3) I think I'm most used to PbP so I would probably prefer that but I am adaptive to most anything.

4) What about this campaign peaked your interest?

*Diplomacy *Exploration <- mainly those

Intrigue Stealth Mystery <- A bit of those

Getting Loot Hack and Slash <- While I like them and dont feel a need to remove them, they are not my reasons for joining

5) I'm 18, prefer to be called either Deth, Deth_Glitch or General Deth and can generally be found on my own Discord (but if you need me you can PM via RPN's one) And my main hobby is RP, be it as a profession, where I act professionally as much as I can or.. as a hobby, here. I think I am male but for all I know I could be a disembodied conscious and my belief is that we were all created by a Justice serving Dragon who protects us from other beings in a higher dimension where the equivalent of 'gods' exist

Deth:

I like your generalities as a character, but without specificity as the race of your faction it is hard as of yet to place you in the world. We already have one human faction set, so being elves or dwarves would bring diversity and specialties to the colony, though if humans are your first choice I don't see why a second group of more rugged rough-around-the edges humans couldn't complement the existing human faction of roman-esque imperial humans. I am glad you are so willing to be flexible, make those decisions and I'll PM you to hash things out.

1A: Opressed wood elves who have lived alongside a human dominated empire for several hundred years. Mostly consisting of what others would consider rangers (great archers and warriors with impressive survival skills) along with workers from simple laborers to blacksmiths and bowyers. The relationship they have had in the past with humans will obviously make them distrustful towards any human dominated colony. Of course however, the only reason they have even got to this place was due to the fact the humans thought they could use them to test the waters of this new land. If they are all killed, who cares? They're just a bunch of pointy eared bastards.

1B: Tribal orc society that has simply grown tired of the slaughter of their people among the other races and have traveled to this new land for a fresh start. The chief is chosen by a council of elders and is considered to be the greatest warrior of the tribe and leads with an iron fist. Often this means that the chief is several feet taller, much stronger and better at fighting than the other orcs and often roughs them up to make sure they stay in line.

2A: Belanor Gorwin, a leader who is not only extremely intelligent but also a great warrior, respected and even loved by the people who travel with him to this new land. Tales are told that he is able to loose an arrow so accurate that he can strike a knight through the slit in his helmet from 100 yards. As well as this he is incredibly nimble and skilled with his short sword, much more than most as he has lived an extremely long life compared to most other races. However, his distrust for most other races has gotten him in trouble in the past, and only those who prove themselves worthy are even allowed to set foot in his territory. This of course has made his people shy away from things that could benefit them such as trade and alliances, something that could make survival in this new land impossible. As for the reasons for his distrust, they are simple, he was once a champion of his human lords, forced to fight and kill in pits for their entertainment. As for why he wishes to create this new colony, it is simple. He wishes to do nothing more than seperate himself from the humans he once served and create a kingdom for his own race, one powerful enough where no wood elf should ever have to fear the empire he was born into. As for the lords of this new land, he has no respect for their ways, as they are no different from his own terrible empire, perhaps even worse. Given a proper chance he would slay them personally, though sadly that is likely to never happen.

2B: Not as interested in being an orc, so if I must I'll think of something interesting eventually, but so long as I can be wood elves this will remain blank for now.

3: Play by post is what I definitely prefer, however, I have done quite a bit of DnD so it wouldn't bother me to do it over skype or teamspeak.

4: Diplomacy, intrigue, and mystery are at the front of course, because that is the majority of running a settlement, however I do very much enjoy a good battle, and as such, a few military campaigns here and there would be fantastic. Though I don't believe battles should be the main focus, unless of course thats the road a certain faction takes.

5: I'm 17, and I'm a boss, thats pretty much it. (Just PM me if you're actually interested in knowing more about me.)

Beckoncall said:
Deth:
I like your generalities as a character, but without specificity as the race of your faction it is hard as of yet to place you in the world. We already have one human faction set, so being elves or dwarves would bring diversity and specialties to the colony, though if humans are your first choice I don't see why a second group of more rugged rough-around-the edges humans couldn't complement the existing human faction of roman-esque imperial humans. I am glad you are so willing to be flexible, make those decisions and I'll PM you to hash things out.
Well both being the other races or the rugged humans are fine by me, but I would say the more 'rough and ready' humans would be preferable, perhaps convicts or some such

Deth: If you want to be humans, than humans you shall be! Your faction will be made up of rag-tag undesirables and political refugees. Given your loose backstory (which we can revise or scrap) judging from the details you've given here is how I'd put you in the story:

Your character is exceptional in that he is a folk hero in his native land. Your ancestral clans were some of the last peoples to fall under the heel of the underlords, and there have been men of your line being thorns in the side of Muurdaan from the days of the old empire up until "The Lastwars", and beyond -- which is where you come in. The province you hailed from has always been fiercely independent, and frequently chafed until foreign rule. Many times the fist of order has fallen on your province, and many times your people had risen to meet it. In a most recent rebellion, the Muurdain armies sent to suppress your people's rebellion failed. Miserably. The Muurdain played dirty. You and your men played dirtier. After months of fighting the uprising was officially becoming an embarassment to the underlords. The vast majority of the peasantry were hidden away in hill and cavern, and brutal guerrilla tactics were sending Muurdain rank and file home by the cartwagon and in bags. When the rebellion began, you were an upstart -- but by the end of it you were a folk hero.

The first day of spring promised a new return to the fighting, and when your people beheld the force the Muurdaan had prepared all winter to quell your uprising -- it was clear what the Underlords were willing to do, for as their herald they sent a "fetch" -- Shadowy figures the Underlords used only when a solution, diplomatic or not, would be final. The underlords were humbled, and were willing to make great concessions to end the uprising and prevent such things from happening again. Their generous terms would be accepted, or the clans of your province would be slain to a man, with the women and children redistributed throughout the world by random lottery. That, and they wanted your head.

Your people would not give it to them, but the symbol you represented -- the commoner that could rise and defy a legion, could not be allowed to remain. The elders of your clan were every bit as cunning as your men in the field however, and eventually the Fetch agreed that you would be exiled, and given new land in the new world. Local lore could speak you as a man sent to be a lord in a foreign land, while in the annals of the Underlords you could be rightly called an exile. Your elders cast a powerful spell to make sure the Muurdain kept their bargain -- they would know on the day of your death where you lay, and if you were felled by a hand of Muurdaan. The opening of the new world was just a convenient way to remove you, and your "people" they would send with you would be criminals and other undesirables they would likewise be relieved to be rid of.

CHOICES:

you have 200 manpower. for half a point you can have a random criminal as a settler -- but you have no idea or control over what you'll get. They could be rebels like your countrymen, they could be cultists, or cannibals, or rapists. Maybe a mix of all of those. But you can get a lot of them, and they're in shackles until you decide to remove them. If you willed it, you could have a ready supply of slave labor for the colony, or attempt to weed out the chaff and give the rest a chance at redemption. For 1 point, you can have an unskilled laborer -- most of these will be poof souls travelling the new world to escape jail, debt, or servitude. for 2 points you may have skilled laborers, but only up to 50 of them, and you have no idea what you'll get. for 3 points you can have a countryman that fought beside you in the rebellion, loyal followers but mayhap not good for much more than fighting. finally, for 50 points you could elect to have a mixed bag of 10 particularly special political prisoners. Who they are may be readily evident or they may only present themselves further down the line, but their abilities may be special, or troublesome. Make your choice, and we'll round the rest out.

Of course, if you reject the backstory -- we can hash one out in PM.

So I can pick and choose what each point of manpower is for yes? E.G. 200 convicts and 50 skilled labourers (should I want to?) I assume that's the case but something, I don't quite know what, in your wording made me feel I had to pick all of one kind

Leusis said:
1A: Opressed wood elves who have lived alongside a human dominated empire for several hundred years. Mostly consisting of what others would consider rangers (great archers and warriors with impressive survival skills) along with workers from simple laborers to blacksmiths and bowyers. The relationship they have had in the past with humans will obviously make them distrustful towards any human dominated colony. Of course however, the only reason they have even got to this place was due to the fact the humans thought they could use them to test the waters of this new land. If they are all killed, who cares? They're just a bunch of pointy eared bastards.
2A: Belanor Gorwin, a leader who is not only extremely intelligent but also a great warrior, respected and even loved by the people who travel with him to this new land. Tales are told that he is able to loose an arrow so accurate that he can strike a knight through the slit in his helmet from 100 yards. As well as this he is incredibly nimble and skilled with his short sword, much more than most as he has lived an extremely long life compared to most other races. However, his distrust for most other races has gotten him in trouble in the past, and only those who prove themselves worthy are even allowed to set foot in his territory. This of course has made his people shy away from things that could benefit them such as trade and alliances, something that could make survival in this new land impossible. As for the reasons for his distrust, they are simple, he was once a champion of his human lords, forced to fight and kill in pits for their entertainment. As for why he wishes to create this new colony, it is simple. He wishes to do nothing more than seperate himself from the humans he once served and create a kingdom for his own race, one powerful enough where no wood elf should ever have to fear the empire he was born into. As for the lords of this new land, he has no respect for their ways, as they are no different from his own terrible empire, perhaps even worse. Given a proper chance he would slay them personally, though sadly that is likely to never happen.

Leusis, I like your backstory enough that I need barely touch it. It fits perfectly to make our shared vision -- and brings great color to the colony for diversity and it's ways and biases.

Your wood elf community mourns the decision you have made, along with many youth of the group -- to seek fortune in this new land, but your group has made up it's mind, and has conformed to the laws of your people -- without regard to the supposed law of your oppressors. Your elders have promised that if you can make a safe cresh in the new world, they will send more migrants to the colony -- and if you can realize your vision of a land outside of the oppression of Muurdain that perhaps all your relations could follow.

you have 200 manpower. for 1 point you may have a "Springborn" -- the youngest elves just accepted as adults, none near a century old. Among elves they would be defined as unskilled laborers, but would be quite skilled by the standards of men. For 2 points you may have any number of "Hearth" elves or "Hunt" elves... Hearth elves know the trades, the working of live wood known as "tree-singing", the arts, and even some herbalism and magic. Hunt elves are as you'd expect, great hunters and trackers, formidable warriors, foragers, and scouts. for 5 points you may have up to 10 "Winterborn" -- Older elves that would serve as wise counsel or potentially have useful knowledge or abilities.

But choose wisely -- for a people so treasuring of their cultural distinctiveness, the youngest might not be able to maintain traditions in the new world -- and the older, if too few, could be lost in the throngs of men once again.

[QUOTE="General Deth Glitch]So I can pick and choose what each point of manpower is for yes? E.G. 200 convicts and 50 skilled labourers (should I want to?) I assume that's the case but something, I don't quite know what, in your wording made me feel I had to pick all of one kind

[/QUOTE]
Deth: You COULD pick all of one kind, but it's probably not wise to do so. Maybe a player wants to choose all unskilled laborers knowing they'll bring a lot of hands to the party and maybe secure greater numerical representation. Maybe they want relatively smaller number of specialized people to do more sophisticated projects and goals.

Particular to your backstory you MAY bring criminals, but you are by no means required to do so -- and it certainly is easy to say that if you DON'T, you might be able to skirt certain problems they propose. If you had a wicked streak you could bring quite a few and try to use them as slave-labor, as I said -- but one must wonder how that will play itself out. Some criminals will no doubt bring interesting and potentially useful skills to the table, and some may be suitable warriors -- but there is no doubt that if you elected to skip that demographic the community in it's infancy would be safer.

Beckoncall said:
Deth: You COULD pick all of one kind, but it's probably not wise to do so. Maybe a player wants to choose all unskilled laborers knowing they'll bring a lot of hands to the party and maybe secure greater numerical representation. Maybe they want relatively smaller number of specialized people to do more sophisticated projects and goals.
Particular to your backstory you MAY bring criminals, but you are by no means required to do so -- and it certainly is easy to say that if you DON'T, you might be able to skirt certain problems they propose. If you had a wicked streak you could bring quite a few and try to use them as slave-labor, as I said -- but one must wonder how that will play itself out. Some criminals will no doubt bring interesting and potentially useful skills to the table, and some may be suitable warriors -- but there is no doubt that if you elected to skip that demographic the community in it's infancy would be safer.
While I don't want to go with Slave labour... I do want to bring criminals... I'm actually thinking of having them fight each other to see who's stronger and grant them serfdom and then find something else to do with the weaker ones. Ima PM my first idea for my Manpower split.

Just wondering what the whole points thing is, I'm not sure if I over looked it but I assume we have a limited amount of them to make choices you are giving us before we start. If I'm right could you tell me how many points each of us get? Sorry if you already stated this somewhere.

Icerex’s leader (name to be determined):

My leader; well, I see him as being the tactician/general type, a leader of men with a good dose of charisma and ruthlessness. He will either be a former officer of the Underlords of Muurdan, or if the story permits, a current officer biding his time in order to seize power for himself. As far as he knows, he is unable to use magic, something that he compensates for by being a skilled diplomat and leader. As to why he would want to leave for the colonies? Well, he chafes at the strict and oppressive nature of the current status quo, and wishes to forge his own future. He views the Underlords as competent, if a bit too overbearing. He understands that there is need for an iron rule, but it is best to keep the populace happy, otherwise rebellion is all to likely.

*Character is known as “a man of the people” – seeking the interests of the common citizen over the whims of the Corvic Senate. He is trusted by his people, and for an imperial may be less of a bitter pill to many with poorer views of the Underlords.

Faction: “Corvus” – (Roman-esque humans generally loyal to the underlords and a key cog in the imperial machine. 100 unskilled laborers, 25 skilled, 75 Corvic Legionaires.

The Corvic people are generally militant style people and in their history they were one of the first empires to be absorbed into the fledgling empire of Muurdaan, with most of their shared history seeing the Corvus as key military allies (and early on frequent rivals) -- indeed several underlords throughout history have been married into or been related to Corvus stock, first to assure loyalties and maintain peace but eventually the culture became a willing component of the larger empire that would spread throughout the world. More non-Muurdain political leaders (even a few underlords themselves) have been of Corvus blood.

Your character knows, from being trained at Imperial War College, a little of the history of the "outlaw continent" -- mostly myths, but you may during the game ask to make rolls to see if you might remember something relating to certain phenomenon in the new world. Anything you'd know would be wildly out of date, but such lore could prove useful.

You also know from War College of the history of previous attempts to colonize the new world, and how they have failed. The first expedition was an enormous war fleet with thousands of elite soldiers. The threat it signified activated ancient wards and defenses that destroyed it utterly. In the years that followed it was learned that attempting to cross the sea with relatively little in way of magic or might could allow a more successful landing. The second expeditions spawned colonies, some successful enough to make regular contact and trade with the old world. One by one misfortune and disasters claimed those colonies, and none to anyone's knowledge yet survive. In official records the first incursion never happened (the Muurdaan can not allow such failure to be known) -- and the second expeditions are seldom-spoke-of footnotes in history. Too many people disappeared to erase all record of it, but the Underlords suppressed much talk of it once it was clear the colonies would fail.

You are from a proud Corvic family who long ago had much closer connections to nobility and power in ages past, and while well off, the lands of your namesake have been almost entirely lost to maintain the prestige and comfort of the family line. You were raised from very young to conquer new lands, but rapidly learned that most likely with things as they were you would wind up on a god-forsaken wall or brooding fortress, with little more than peasant rebellions to look forward to testing your mettle. For you, the new world is a chance to embrace the glory that is your birthright, and you will be well outfitted and trusted, perhaps above the other faction leaders, to make sure the interests of the Underlords will be maintained.

@Leusis, I like your backstory enough that I need barely touch it. It fits perfectly to make our shared vision -- and brings great color to the colony for diversity and it's ways and biases.
Your wood elf community mourns the decision you have made, along with many youth of the group -- to seek fortune in this new land, but your group has made up it's mind, and has conformed to the laws of your people -- without regard to the supposed law of your oppressors. Your elders have promised that if you can make a safe cresh in the new world, they will send more migrants to the colony -- and if you can realize your vision of a land outside of the oppression of Muurdain that perhaps all your relations could follow.

you have 200 manpower. for 1 point you may have a "Springborn" -- the youngest elves just accepted as adults, none near a century old. Among elves they would be defined as unskilled laborers, but would be quite skilled by the standards of men. For 2 points you may have any number of "Hearth" elves or "Hunt" elves... Hearth elves know the trades, the working of live wood known as "tree-singing", the arts, and even some herbalism and magic. Hunt elves are as you'd expect, great hunters and trackers, formidable warriors, foragers, and scouts. for 5 points you may have up to 10 "Winterborn" -- Older elves that would serve as wise counsel or potentially have useful knowledge or abilities.

But choose wisely -- for a people so treasuring of their cultural distinctiveness, the youngest might not be able to maintain traditions in the new world -- and the older, if too few, could be lost in the throngs of men once again.

Leusis said:
Just wondering what the whole points thing is, I'm not sure if I over looked it but I assume we have a limited amount of them to make choices you are giving us before we start. If I'm right could you tell me how many points each of us get? Sorry if you already stated this somewhere.
If you missed it, Leusis -- it's there, though it's under a fat quote of yours. Basically I am allowing people to decide on his points system kind of loosely what kind of people they want to bring. I'll repost what I stated for your parameters, but do scroll up to read the finer details. You have 200 ponits.

1 point for "springborn" -- the youngest elves of your people, unskilled by the standard of elves, quite skilled by human standards.

2 points for either "Hearth" or "Hunt" elves. These are experts in domestic or ranging skills.

you also have the option to bring a small number of "Winterborn" with you -- these are Wood Elf Elders that bring counsel or potentially special knowledge and skills.

I'm sorry you missed the post, tread more carefully if you can!

If you're wondering about points mechanically, I'm giving 300 points to people with ties to the Underlords because they will be favored and trusted with more resources, and Imperial sympathy is a potential serious drawback in the new world especially if much of the colony does not share their affections for the Old World Empire. 200 points to humans and demi-humans without sympathy or resentment to the Old World Empire, and if we have exotics there will likely either be lower points given or higher cost per individual. The "points" thing is just a way of giving people additional choice and agency about their starting faction.

I realized just moments before you posted what the 200 manpower was. Sorry about that, brain fart.

[QUOTE="General Deth Glitch]Ooooh... also... Can I incorporate my religion into my character? Its something I like to do a little but don't feel any need to.

[/QUOTE]
I am very receptive to the idea, because the ideas of primary religions and dogmatic tensions or stability could be interesting angles for the game. The idea of over-arching relgions for the people will eventually present itself anyway, with the settlers bringing their own ways and customs. PM me the particulars of the religion so we are both on the same page about it, for me to include "your" religion, I need to know enough about it to feel I can RP a follower of that religion to integrate it into the world. Failing that, I will cobble something together with you or give you choices I can run with.

[QUOTE="General Deth Glitch]I am perhaps wondering how many Criminals is too many...

[/QUOTE]
Welcome to the first of many beautiful dillemas I hope to put before you. This one is hard enough and it's entirely your decision. Can you imagine what it's going to be like when you have to make decisions that might piss off elves or lizardmen? :D

Piss off wood elves and 30 men will have arrows in their heads in the blink of an eye lol.

Beckoncall said:
Welcome to the first of many beautiful dillemas I hope to put before you. This one is hard enough and it's entirely your decision. Can you imagine what it's going to be like when you have to make decisions that might piss off elves or lizardmen? :D
Yes, I will throw my criminals at them until they leave me alone xD . Well I am watching some shtuff, but afterwards I shall send you some info I mean Its a very fleshed out religion but with many variations as I actually imagine it being ridden with heresies, much like Christianity.

Leusis said:
I realized just moments before you posted what the 200 manpower was. Sorry about that, brain fart.
It's totally okay, I myself forgot to include two a couple of bits of information you're privy to as well -- Older members of your community remember a time when the Underlords offered to ship some of your number to this "new land" in ages past, those colonies failed and the fates of those lost were largely covered up or forgotten.

As a plot point -- you have been charged by your elders to (if at all possible) discover the fates of your predecessors and make sure their spirits have been laid to rest. Also, you are charged with recovering whatever artifacts and heirlooms you might find of theirs and return them to the hands of your people.

Leusis said:
Piss off wood elves and 30 men will have arrows in their heads in the blink of an eye lol.
HAHAHAHA! Already the first flush of racial tensions in the new world! Huzzah! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back