• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Interest check! looking to start a "Fantasy/Nation-building" RPG!

Beckoncall

World-Weaver and servant to the most-holy PC
Supporter
Wondering if there are people out there willing to play a character/faction based nation building fantasy campaign. A broader description is in the main Nation Building forum, but here I am just posting a quick dash out to hopefully catch interested parties.

It's high fantasy, with a wide spectrum of playable races and cultures.

The game is hinged both on adventure of singular characters and intrigue between factions forming a larger community in a new land.

Depending on interest, I may use an established system like pathfinder or a more light-RP dice system, or I may determine a system based on the preferences of interested parties ranging from detailed to more free-form, but likely involving dice.

Please let me know if you're game -- I also see there are other people looking to START nation building games, and if there is anybody out there like that we might consider chatting to see if we can collude on join project/campaign!

Definite interest, and if you'd like I can collaborate with you on this. Actually, that's what I'd like to do. I've been thinking about starting a nation building rp, but I've always thought it would take too much time, so this is a godsend.

You should probably move the contents of your other thread here and then either delete that one or edit it to be more of a brief into to the thread, after all you said you wanted to match the forum etiquette.

Melisandre, I wrote a long post to you (thought I could send a private message but it turns out I can't send PMs until 10 posts andh 24 hours of activity) so I had to delete the post because it had spoilers about the backstory for your collusion. If you send me an email address or some other way to contact you privacy (or wait until my account meets PM criteria) I will send you the details. I'm intrigued at potentially working together and I hope we mesh well and work out how best to do that.

In reply to General Deth, Thank you for your counsel -- I'll move the backstory here, and possibly truncate it's inclusion from my introduction. It is sad that I posted my backstory in two places, and not the one place it should have been! I stand corrected.

I would be more then willing to help where I can with these points you brought up, that is if you want my help

1 2 and 3

Little @Melisandre will no doubt tell you how atrocious of a GM I am, since my last RP is dead/dying but I would still be happy to help, though I dont quite trust myself to help with point 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Beckoncall said:
Melisandre, I wrote a long post to you (thought I could send a private message but it turns out I can't send PMs until 10 posts andh 24 hours of activity) so I had to delete the post because it had spoilers about the backstory for your collusion. If you send me an email address or some other way to contact you privacy (or wait until my account meets PM criteria) I will send you the details. I'm intrigued at potentially working together and I hope we mesh well and work out how best to do that.
In reply to General Deth, Thank you for your counsel -- I'll move the backstory here, and possibly truncate it's inclusion from my introduction. It is sad that I posted my backstory in two places, and not the one place it should have been! I stand corrected.
Well we all make mistakes and have to learn. Also that 10 post/24 hour thing is a little bit of a pain but, spam bots and forums do not go well together... no matter how hard the spam bots try to make friends, the problem being they try too hard. I realise I should not have read that post but 'eh. one of my skills when it comes to RP is reading everyone's meta information and ignoring every last bit. However my offer still stands should you want to take me up on it.

I hope we have at least as many potential players in due time as people willing to help flesh out the game and GM it. I'm glad you saw the previous post before i took it down, I didn't want to spoil my campaign before I even got it started! I'm receptive to your collaboration if we can get enough players to have a game, and we can all gel together. Melisandra has dibs on working behind the scenes if it turns out we wind up with too many cooks... then again, we may have need of a full kitchen, at least I'd hope so!

[QUOTE="General Deth Glitch]Well we all make mistakes and have to learn. Also that 10 post/24 hour thing is a little bit of a pain but, spam bots and forums do not go well together... no matter how hard the spam bots try to make friends, the problem being they try too hard. I realise I should not have read that post but 'eh. one of my skills when it comes to RP is reading everyone's meta information and ignoring every last bit. However my offer still stands should you want to take me up on it.

[/QUOTE]
It's fine that you read spoilers if you want to work on the back end, like I am. I'd be more concerned if you were interested in playing a leader/faction -- though if you wanted to I am sure we could come up with a backstory reason for you to know at least some of the spoilers I revealed.

By General Deth's Suggestion, I am moving Backstory here!

For now I'll say that I am a Veteran GM who has long had a campaign kicking around in my head that I'm dying to find expression for - Players, if I am lucky enough to have them, not only represent a singular character, but will influence and guide a small faction of one to two hundred settlers in a new world. Main characters can be political figures, adventurers, or one in the same -- and if characters die they can readily be replaced from the larger body of settlers... a player could only "Lose" if the settlement fails or their entire faction disbands. If you've read this far about what I'm proposing, I'll go into greater detail about the backstory:

In a world of sprawling empires across dozens of continents, nearly every corner of the world had been explored. Wilds tamed, monsters brought to heel -- and a dark, iron-fisted order and law -- guaranteed by the Underlords of Muurdaan, was absolute. Borders are stable, and for many life is stagnant and opportunities short. Many yearn for new lands, somehow a chance to make their fortune -- and finally that day may be coming. Eyes have turned to the last continent, the lost continent, the outlaw continent: An enormous land that centuries ago was ruled by powerful wizard kings and queens. In ages past they sealed their lands away from the rest of the world, vessels and travelers were forever turned away from its shores. Magical storms and enchantments confounded instruments and destroyed ships or other conveyances who dared to go near it. Stifled trade permitted by the Mage Kings slowed and then stopped hundreds of years ago -- and in the ages that passed, the spells that locked their lands away have slowly faded.

The Underlords immediately saw this new Jewel to claw permanently into the rest of their realms, but the bonds are not yet weak enough to allow an army or great heroes to reach the new world -- but they are weak enough to allow aspiring heroes and small groups of settlers to pass unseen. The Underlords made proclamations to those who would risk their lives for influence, riches, and the opportunities of a new land -- Any worthy persons would be given a Ship and a small community of pioneers with supplies to make landfall and settlement. In return, They would explore, tame, and claim the new lands for themselves -- Tithing a portion of any riches they find to their patrons and supporting the trade of treasures, magic, and exotics found in the new land for gold and finished goods that would no doubt be needed in the new settlements.

You could be one such leader. Each leader shall guide a faction, and the factions will co-operate, compete, and make or break the community in this new world. Can the settlers put aside the grudges and vendettas of the old world behind? Can diverse races and cultures live together side by side in a hostile wilderness and establish a common law? Time will tell.

Thank you much if you read the above. If there is interest enough I hope to get this game off the ground and post broader instructions on how to make a character and determine backstory, and starting faction races/resources. There will be political and cross-faction intrigue as well as hack & slash adventuring and diplomacy, though it may be possible if certain players like one aspect and not another they can stick with preferences -- The game should revolve as much around the lives of the heroes/leaders as it does about the development and challenges of the settlement and it's factions. Exploration and quests are as important as making decisions about the growth and development of the settlement, laws and disputes must be navigated, and as a clear community emerges ideas of larger government and dominant religion and relationship to the homeland may need to be addressed.

I mean I have already forgotten most of them, and those that I haven't are nothing that I wouldn't expect from an RP. Though again I am very good at not acting on Knowledge I have access to.

[QUOTE="General Deth Glitch]I mean I have already forgotten most of them, and those that I haven't are nothing that I wouldn't expect from an RP. Though again I am very good at not acting on Knowledge I have access to.

[/QUOTE]
For all we know, Melisandre's influence may change several major plot points, and if I learned anything as a GM it's that no plot-line survives prolonged contact with players -- they will take the story in directions you never imagined! :D

Neat... so at this point we have ONE (maybe two) potential players, and a couple of people interested as GMs/Supporting Cast working on the "back end"... I hope we can find 3-4 starting players to have an interesting and diverse beginning to our story.

I was thinking of being pretty open on choice of races for the factions, but picking exotic choices or certain advantages are counterbalanced so all players start on equal footing. For example, Players choosing humans will have a larger starting population than say more exotic races. There also may be prejudices or grudges held against certain races from the Old World. Having a larger population for your faction gives you more political influence, more hands to get jobs done, and the like. Exotic races may have language barriers, or rarified needs and diets, or small starting population and growth. There are also choices to make about the type of settlers, with advantages (like maybe nobles or craftsmen) making smaller populations or having drawbacks... to taking more difficult choices (like exiles, or serfs, or released criminals) that might be counter-balanced with advantages.

Here is a non-definitive list of races I'd allow for factions... though In a perfect world a starting settlement would consist of some humans, some standard demi-humans like elves and/or dwarves, and perhaps an exotic minority:

Humans (of a diverse or specific culture type)

Elves (wood or high)

Dwarves

Halflings

Nomads (of a particular racial subgroup)

Hivers (insect-humanoids often feared or loathed in the old world)

Beast-men (Minotaurs or more civilized orcs)

Lizardmen (Semi-Amphibious reptile humanoids, with possible minorities of dragon or other exotic heritage)

Maybe Gnomes...

open to other race ideas if they can be properly negotiated and balanced. Generally there are perks to making more conventional choices and drawbacks for more exotic choices. Along with choosing a race each player must come up with a more fleshed out leader character with their own advantages and drawbacks as well, and may work with me to decide on backstory elements that integrate them into the story or make have influence on the greater dynamic.

[QUOTE="General Deth Glitch]Following you? Your both following me!

[/QUOTE]
if u say so

I'd be pretty interested in something like this, and I would be more than happy to contribute as far a storyline and lore goes.

Melisandre, I'll be emailing you something right away that I wanted to share last night -- as it will be a few more hours before I have full PM permissions. PM me back if desired and hopefully it will be the last time we NEED to communicate outside regular channels.

Besides that I have a general question for the forum, and that is what do people normally do about DICE? I have seen other forums with integrated dice systems, do we have one here, and if so, how do we use it? If it does not, I can find an outside vehicle for secure and un-flubbable dice rolling, but if there is a preferred way for the established forum culture (or ways) I'd love to see it decided here.

To people who are SERIOUS about being PLAYERS in part of this game please PM me, (or post here if you're fine with sharing):

1) What race or races would you be interested in playing? Giving more than one choice increases the likelihood of you being chosen as a player, or at least one of the first players if we decide to take on new players/immigrants. As stated above I hoped for at least one human faction (though I don't insist) along with one or more popular demi-human RPG races (elves/dwarves/halflings) after which having exotic minorities like lizardmen, Hivers, etc...

2) What kind of character is your leader? What class or classes do you see them being? This world has both clerical and arcane magics -- most character archetypes should be acceptable. Besides race and class share a little bit about them, maybe a potential hook or two about their past, special perks or weaknesses they might have... anything else that might give your character color. Suggestions include why the character wants to take a likely one-way trip from the known world to start a colony, and how your character views the (somewhat oppressive, but arguably effective peace-keeping) of the Underlords of Muurdan (more on them later, just imagine a powerful empire that keeps the trains running on time but is more interested in keeping the powerful in their place and maintaining the status quo... and boy are they harsh on people who get out of line.)

3) Are you interested in play by post, RPing in real-time chat, or both? Presently I am thinking mostly PbP, but if more than one player can be in chat at a time, certain debates, political events, or even adventure/exploration can happen in real time... depending on interest and capacity to line up at the same time. Alternatively, Single players might have 1 on 1 walkthroughs of "town" where they examine/address things happening in the community.

4) What about this campaign peaked your interest? So I can be sure to "give them what they want", what aspects of RPing do you most enjoy? Diplomacy? Exploration? Getting Loot? Hack and Slash? Intrigue? Stealth? Mystery? Whatever attracts you the most -- If there are common favored themes I will be sure to put more thought into those aspects. Any of the above may be a part, though needn't necessarily be.

5) PM me your age and a little about yourself, I'll share right back to "meet you." Makes sense when making friends, yes? Don't worry about judgement on the basis of age -- maturity, interest, and consistency are are the mainstays of any game I find.

If players are willing to give me these things, I promise I am willing to give far more in the game that is to come. Nothing submitted will be set in stone, instead it will be a jumping-off point for fleshing out the character and their faction, and I may give players additional choices about resources or the types of settlers they may bring based on any info given, or ambiguity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back