• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy \\\ Interest check for a group of bandits ///

I'm REALLY interested in this idea!

Edit: I would need a little bit of filling in on the "Middle Earth" section though since I've never really read or watched The Hobbit. (´・ω・`)

Last edited by a moderator:
This does sound quite intriguing.. Personally I'd always find it more enjoyable with Original worlds and such.. Because of the whole "possibility" of meeting the main characters and such.. But I'm fine with just going Middle Earth!

What I do want to know is.. When is it taking time? During the Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings.. Before or after those two well known events? Apart from that I'm game for attempting fantasy again.

I'd be interested in this. As others have said, my knowledge of Middle Earth isn't great outside of what is in the books and movies (I would sooner remove body parts with a rusty spoon than try reading his Appendices again) but so long as I'm not going to be looked down on for not knowing another characters great great great great great great grandfather that's fine by me.

As I already messaged another.

If people wanted to read up, without watching the movies and reading any books.

http://www.ringgame.net/summary.html

It contains a good and short summary of the history/lore without going overboard with it, and it even has a list of some of the more important "characters"

But again, unless we're set in the time of where these specific characters were alive, I don't really think we'd need to know that much anyway.. I'd guess?

Playing devil's advocate, even if we were I don't suppose it matters. Thee's lots of famous people in this world that I don't know a jot about and I live here, why couldn't the same be true for a character in Middle Earth. Not everyone is going to have heard of Gandalf the Grey.

Ok, I've talked myself into it :)

Sorry guys, a lot has been going on and I haven't gotten much time to get on.

Your knowledge of Middle Earth can be very minimal -- I adore Middle Earth but I'm by no means an expert. We're really just going to be borrowing from Tolkien's ideas for different races and the world and such. Seriously, don't sweat it. If something came up and you were confused, either I or one of the other rpers could definitely explain it. This isn't going to be overly complicated or anything like that. 

I think parallel with the events of LOTR might be interesting, the war with Sauron might provide an interesting backdrop and would certainly create conditions for banditry. There have been a few video games 'the third age' and 'war in the north' (if memory serves) that did this quite well, but they tried very hard to hit certain locales/set pieces in the main story which I would prefer to avoid. I.e. Unless our characters develop that way, why would bandits end up joining in the siege of Minis Tirith/Helms Deep etc?

Oh yeah, I got a bit busy yesterday.

I don't really mind when the timeline is, Although if we're going with humans being there, it's anywhere from the first age to the fourth.

The Second age is full of opportunities, being that most of it is written by years, rather than months and days, meaning there is a lot in-between there which can be filled with ideas, with it culminating into the Last Alliance's victory over Sauron.

And then there is the Third age, which could have a lot of possibility in the earlier years, With Death of Isildur, and his men in the Battle of Gladden Fields. (Maybe one of the bandits was a survivor?)  In the Third Age: Year 3, it then goes quiet until Year T.A 490, with the Easterlings invading Gondor. And some other events spaced out afterwards.

We could also follow the timeline starting around Hobbit/Lotr, Aragon himself was.. 10 years or so when the Battle of the Five Armies is fought. So starting somewhere there at T.A 2941, I'm sure quite a few people from Esgaroth had to leave, after Smaug's visit. 

And finally, there is after LOTR, The Fourth age.. In which it's pretty much a complete blank slate on what happens.

The only reason I ask, is because it would be a bit impossible to be an Uruk-Hai (If they're allowed) Anywhere before late Third Age, as they were made at the later years of that Age.. If you get what I mean.

I'm rambling and to cut it short for the GM. 

I'm up for anything, I am although personally interested in some early third age time. But that's just minor interest.

Really loving what I've read. Great ideas guys. :)  The old plot was Hobbit era (we had been using canons, so we needed it to be during then), so I'm tweaking it right now.

Also, there is definitely room to join. We've actually got so many interested that we could even have a rivaling group of bandits...who knows! This is going to be so much fun. College has been really hectic this week, but I'll try to finish everything ASAP. 

Everything should be set.

I've been incredibly busy with college, helping my relatives move, and work. I will start the RP this week. I haven't been meaning to keep you guys waiting...but man. It's been tough.  I haven't had a moment to myself in weeks. I apologize for keeping anyone waiting, I'm really doing the best that I can.

Another thing. As leader, my character is going to need a second in command.

If anyone's interested to fill that role, let me know. He'll (and I'll) need some help keeping this lot in line. We can discuss the details in PM. 

Any questions or anything else, just let me know...trying to check in whenever possible.  Things should slow down this week. 

@Insecure

Alright no sweat, did just ask how it was doing, not being impatient.

If nobody else wanna go for it, I'd be up to be second in command, Can't say I've had practice with being on the other side of morality (Most rps I've been part of, we're the good guys.) But I'll try my best and learn fast.

I'm interested! I am a more old school fan of lotr, and I'm quite sure Tolkien is rolling in his grave after what they did to the Hobbit on the screen...but I'm flexible. I'm probably pretty rusty on lore by now, but I'd love a chance to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back