Immense Frustration... Boiling over.

Elle Joyner

Fracturer of Fairytales
Not sure why I'm even writing this... since it's nothing new. Perhaps I'm just in need of a good vent. But what IS it with people now adays and the utter lack of commitment/dedication to roleplays?? I work my tail off on creating roleplays that are beautiful, interesting and fun... I'm flexible, I'm understanding...

Yet time and time again, my RPs die out - and not just mine. I have YET to see a roleplay (group) I've started or been in that actually -went- anywhere, because we'll get a few pages in and then people start disappearing, dropping like flies. WHY join something if you aren't going to follow through? And it's gotten worse, since I first joined the site. Now, people don't even bother saying anything... they just vanish, without a word. I'll be the first to admit sometimes a muse dies out or you get stuck on a certain scene, but for crying out loud - that why you work through it with your partner(s).

I started a new roleplay today and I'm so hesitant to even finish it because I have this horrible feeling it's just gonna go the same way as all the others, and it's exhausting, putting so much effort into something that isn't going to even get off the ground. I love roleplaying, but anymore, I don't get more than a few posts in a week - and the vast majority are in a 1x1. I spend 90% of my time here on RPN in the shoutbox, because frankly, there isn't anything to respond to...

What needs to change so that this doesn't happen anymore?? Where are all the dedicated folks? Do I need to just screw trying to be a detailed RPer and go play in Simple/Casual RPs? Are there really no fully committed detailed RPers out there?? Haaaalp!

I think it really just comes down to the utter unpredictability of life. When shit hits the fan, your online life and hobbies are the first to go--it just makes sense. I think the most successful detailed RPs I've been in were almost all private affairs with a handpicked roster of well-written, reliable players. Maybe you could go back through your RPs and find the people you most admire, who stuck with it the longest, and just start sending out invites.

The nature of the players on the site dictate the quality of the RPs, including commitments. It's possible with so many members, the good RPers are simply buried under the masses and don't get their chance to shine.

I'm sorry Elle :( You know from my end I've been very busy with school work and ongoing health issues - but I'm still sticking around in both of your RPs that I'm in. For Watchcrew, I'm still waiting on Veirrianna for our colab (and also for you to answer the questions PM I sent you on Saturday, actually), and for Perchance, I've decided to wait until the next objective thingy to post again, as I didn't see much point in starting another interaction so quick.

I feel your pain - exactly the same thing happened to me. Just before my headaches started, I set up a university-based time-travel RP, and put the most effort into coding and prettying it I had ever done. It filled up pretty quickly with about twelve people, and then I posted the first post. People slowly replied within the week, then I posted the second reply, and it was pretty much dead within two weeks. Granted, I kind of had to give it up anyhow due to my head and work, but there was literally only three others left, two of which were left waiting on interactions where the other people had poofed within two weeks. That's fourteen days, and it's highly disrespectful - why even bother signing up for an RP if you have no intention of actually playing it out?!?! It's absolutely terrible etiquette.

And I was thinking the other day - how many RPs can I actually think of where I can think back and say 'Well, my character did this, he/she developed like this, it was cool?'. Literally one, and that lasted about six months and 110ish pages of epic RPing, thanks to the dedication and creativity of my RPers, so that when it died out, I was actually fairly content, looking back thinking 'what an awesome story we've created together', proud, as opposed to just sour disappointment. Others, I can just remember the concept of the RP, and my character independently, but nothing linking the two. It's sad, it really is.

I think quite often, people sign up for RPs with the wrong mindset. Perhaps it's because a friend or a user they respect made it, but they don't really connect with the idea before - I've had it happen where somebody signed up, was accepted, and then PMed me before it started to inform me that he was withdrawing because he wasn't atually that interested in it. Which, actually, is very respectful and honest. Quite often also people are like 'ooh, I like this idea!' and skim over rules and conditions without really considering how they should affect their performance. Like, post rates and activity, for example. I put time and time again what I want - usually two posts a week. I underline it, I bold it. I specifically ask people not to join if they can't match it. And time an time again, people join and I end up with a slow-moving, sluggish disappointment of an RP experience where it takes two-three weeks for everybody to reply to it. Can't people just read and actually take use maturity and initiative to maybe think 'actually, I can't afford to join this one'.

Which brings me to an unfortunate downfall of a site like this. I started RPing on a very small gaming community site with maybe about a hundred regulars, only about 20% of which were into RP. Hence there was only about three different RPs going on at a time, so if you wanted to RP, you'd have to join them. Hence there was never any real over commitment, and because it was a smaller community, things were cosier and people were more friendly and commited to eachother. On here, people suffer from what I'm going to call the 'Too Many Chocolates Syndrome'. In that there's
so much to choose from here that people start joining so many RPs until they've stuffed themselves too full to really commit properly to any of them. And then there's always another RP out there, that might be better than the one your in at the moment. Hence people just flit between RPs without really playing that much out.

Anyhow, I hope this helps to offer up some ideas (and also challenge people who are reading it). You might also want to check out
this thread. It's a little old, but might have some more answers in it :)

Thanks Ginge. And that's exactly it... It's not even the leaving that gets me... it's the abject lack of respect for the hard work people put in to the play. Just say, "sorry... I've lost interest."... don't just disappear without a word. Gah.

And I hope you don't think I meant you lol. I know you're dedicated to what you join. Watchcrew and Perchance are the two rps I have that are still moving at all lol.

I can really relate to this one. Most of the RPs I was in died out in just a matter of time, some did not even last for five days before people went flying away. And indeed, mostly they don't say anything at all... -_- Making me want to go into an angry Smeagol (Lord of the Rings) mode.

1382.gif

So the best thing you can do is just try to find some people that are really wanting to RP with you or look for the ones who sticked around in the other RPs while everyone else started dropping out... -sigh- I can't even explain the annoyance with words.

When you star another group RP, dear, that isn't fandom-related (I'm not sure if you do those, I just don't), drop me a PM. I could use a group RP and you know that RPs die before my commitment does...

The same goes for me. I will be without internet connection the last two weeks of July - which creates issues with posting requirements - but if you decide to create/continue a role play on later date, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I have recently been feeling the exact same. In fact, a few days ago I went back to RPs that went a month without activity just to officially declare it dead. I did this since leaving without telling the others is one of the largest pet peeves I have developed since I started RPing so I try not to ever do that to others, no matter if I am the only one left even following the thread.

I feel the same way. It's aggravating because I spend so much time researching my characters' backstories and putting together a huge profile full of history, personality traits, strengths, weaknesses, and visual aspects only to have the RP last a grand total of a few days before going tots up. I'll be the first to admit, I have been known to disappear, but only for maybe 3 days tops. Other than that I'm consistent! It's a shame to see such great ideas go down the drain...

I can't speak for anyone else, but this is one if the main reasons I no longer participate in group games. I figure there is no point, considering every game I've ever joined has died rapidly from this syndrome. So even though I am dedicated, I took myself out of the pool of candidates and only rp one on one now.

It's just so frustrating to come across something you're really excited about and then hit the ground with a thud because other players just disappear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've now made it my personal mission to NOT let RPs die xD Even if I'm the only one posting. Solo RPing. SO much fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back