Advice/Help Illegible Fonts & Coding?

Chimney Swift

i am confusion
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
So, I have a question. I'd like to preface this by saying that I have very bad eyesight (due to scarred corneas, i believe) and autism-related attention issues. Just so no one thjnks I'm just being snobby.

As such, a lot of the time it's hard for me to read small, detailed or lightly colored fonts. When a post is crowded with bright pastel colors, gifs and complicated coding, it can be overwhelming or even impossible for me to read.

But the thing is, it seems like everyone does this. Would it be inappropriate for me to request a text-only version of a post? I don't want to encroach on anyone's time, but it would be hard to run or participate in an RP if i have to spent a half hour deciphering each post.

So, I have a question. I'd like to preface this by saying that I have very bad eyesight (due to scarred corneas, i believe) and autism-related attention issues. Just so no one thjnks I'm just being snobby.

As such, a lot of the time it's hard for me to read small, detailed or lightly colored fonts. When a post is crowded with bright pastel colors, gifs and complicated coding, it can be overwhelming or even impossible for me to read.

But the thing is, it seems like everyone does this. Would it be inappropriate for me to request a text-only version of a post? I don't want to encroach on anyone's time, but it would be hard to run or participate in an RP if i have to spent a half hour deciphering each post.
Good question. I doubt if you ask for a text-version only, many people will give it to you. For some, coding in posts is half the fun. The only real solution I can think up is copy/pasting the content from a post into a word editor (Microsoft Word) and adjusting how you see it best from there. Sorry to hear about the eyesight. If you're not already doing it, I'd recommend taking a COMPLETE multivitamin pill/drink just to make sure you're getting all the minerals and nutrients your body needs to work. Sometimes it's something basic like that that can fix a lot of the problems a person has. Good luck.

I would say that actually a lot of people don't bother with fancy coding at least not in 1x1s. I'm not sure about groups but I would just ask the GM and your fellow roleplayers. I think a lot of times the fancy coding is just meant to make the post stand out but if you have a legitimate reason for needing plain text I don't think people will mind going plain or at the very least doing minimal or easily read alterations.

Like yeah it might be fun but as I understand it you are not asking them to do no coding just simplify it so that it is easily read. So maybe tell them - hey can you keep your text between these sizes and try not to use bright colors?

It would help on mobiles too so I"m sure you're not the only one who is wishing for this. Looking at coding on my iPad is a pain in the ass as well.

Just a little tip, highlighting the text generally helps a lot, and if the font is too small you can always copy and paste it into a word document and play around with it yourself.

Thanks! I'll definitely try the highlighting trick with my computer (it doesn't workbon my tablet or phone). Hopefully something will work!

Chimney Swift Chimney Swift

Actually, most people would be happy to accommodate you if you want a plain text ver of their post! In my recent rp circles, it's become customary for people to post a plaintext version of their post in an accordion/spoiler button underneath their decorated/bbcoded post, since many people read posts on the go with their phones/tablets.

Thanks! I'll definitely try the highlighting trick with my computer (it doesn't workbon my tablet or phone). Hopefully something will work!
Highlighting should work on tablet and smart phone, at least it does on my Samsung I'm not sure about others. Try pressing and holding your finger over a line of text and you should highlight it and get these little nubs that you can place at the start and end of what you wanna highlight. Either way I'm glad that was helpful!

Chimney Swift Chimney Swift

Actually, most people would be happy to accommodate you if you want a plain text ver of their post! In my recent rp circles, it's become customary for people to post a plaintext version of their post in an accordion/spoiler button underneath their decorated/bbcoded post, since many people read posts on the go with their phones/tablets.

Thanks for the advice! I hope you're right

Highlighting should work on tablet and smart phone, at least it does on my Samsung I'm not sure about others. Try pressing and holding your finger over a line of text and you should highlight it and get these little nubs that you can place at the start and end of what you wanna highlight. Either way I'm glad that was helpful!

Mine highlights with white text on light blue background. Sometimes that's even harder to read than the original.

I feel your pain, i have horrendous astigmatism and myopia. No amount of supplements will fix these defective lumps, lol. Anyways, don't be shy in asking someone what their post says! Something like "Hey, could you change your font color, I can't read your post" can go a long way. And if that person cares more about their aesthetic than your ability to read, well, they can suck an egg. Highlighting entire posts is not a reasonable long-term solution to making sure a post is legible.

As a person who goes overboard with bbcoding, I don't find problem with
pasting a plain text version underneath the bbcode. I've had complaints in the
past and it's not at all hard to simply copy and paste what you've written in a spoiler.
So it totally reasonable to ask people for a text-only version of their post. The worst
thing about it is that it is slightly tedious but people don't roleplay to look at pretty layouts
so there's not harm in asking ^^!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back