• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I Was Fine Until You

So obviously Malia is gonna have the baby soon, but I’m struggling to think of a name. I had originally planned for her to have twins but I think that’d be too much besides it’s hard enough to think of one name! But I don’t think she’s going to bond very well with this child, it’s going to be more Alexander’s kid than hers whereas Arthur is more of a mother’s boy.

It seemed Arthur and Silas lost track of time because before long they were trekking back a bit past Arthur’s designated meeting time. It had been fun spending time with Silas, seeing some of the city, certainly had taken his mind off his embarrassing breakdown and he’d felt a lot calmer. However, as they had gotten closer and closer to the castle, worry had started to seep back into Arthur’s bones. The king already knew about Morgan, Silas’ knowledge on the subject made that more than clear and he’d hardly been warm when they’d first met. Arthur was going to be here a long time, he didn’t want the king to hate him but he was convinced he already did, and their lateness wasn’t going to help. Plus, now Caroline was probably going to be upset with him, he wasn’t off to a great start.

Arthur got Silas to guide him to where the king would be but he was apprehensive to part with the other prince. Silas, as annoying as he could be, was starting to feel a lot like security, he could be more himself around Silas, there was less pretence and someone who was there for him, perhaps surprisingly so. Silas maybe wasn’t the best person to hang around with though if he wanted the king’s approval. So, he would’ve asked Silas for advice on getting in the king’s good books but it’s not like he knew, he just figured he should act the opposite of Silas.

He made sure to smooth down his clothes and try to manage his hair although he couldn’t help the slight flush in his cheeks, he’d discarded of the coat by now as well. Arthur braced himself before pushing open the doors. “My deepest apologies, I should have been here on time” he said and gosh he hated the way he sounded, what a stupid thing to say. He wanted to make excuses but what was the point? The fact was that he had none. “I know you’re a busy man and I’m so grateful to be welcomed into your home, it won’t happen again” At least politeness was something Arthur was used to although he hardly knew Caroline’s father, had no idea how to appease him or how to interact with him, didn’t know his quirks like he did Alexander’s. “I’d like to thank you for agreeing to meet with us” he added and honestly, he felt like he was grovelling and he felt so stupid for it. Hopefully Caroline would give him some clues on how to act.

King Rayner had learned that Arthur and Silas had gone off together fairly early. Silas's guard had told him and well... Rayner wasn't impressed. Hardly surprised by his sons behavior. He had atleast expected Arthur to return on time. Luckily for Arthur Rayner had decided against a party. Perhaps desiring to assess Arthur a bit more before introducing him to other nobility. Poor Caroline still had to struggle though. Sitting awkwardly at the table alone. Staring at her plate and praying for Arthur's arrival.

Then the doors were opening and Arthur had finally arrival. Much to the relief of Caroline. Though she was very much aware that her father was not at all pleased. He scanned Arthur up and down. Eyes narrowed for a moment before he looked to a guard, Saying. "Go fetch Silas. He should be back and I'd like him to join us. " The guard didn't hesitate. Scurrying off. The Caroline wondered how much luck the man would have. Silas likely knew that he was in trouble and would have gone off to hide or something by now. Still, Silas wasn't much of a concern. Rayner was looking at Arthur once more.

He then gestured towards a chair. "Sit. Now." His polite demeanor having faded. Caroline wasn't too surprised. Rayner had already sent away most servants and probable decided Arthur needed a good scolding. Fewer people ment Rayner could show more emotions. And right now? It was a mixture of anger and disappointment. Rayner then spoke, His voice much like a growl. "Tell me? Where did my son take you? I suppose it doesn't matter... " He trailed off briefly. Seeming in thought. Before telling Arthur. "There is planned a party tomorrow. A welcoming for your arrival. Do not pull this stunt again. " The king couldn't push to hard on Arthur. It would only cause a fallout with King Alexander. But that didn't mean Arthur could escape punishment. So he told Arthur. "You are not to leave this castle again, Until I deem it fit. Understood? "

As soon as Arthur walked into the room, he could feel the tension and he was sorely reminded that this was not his home. He swallowed nervously as Rayner scanned him but did his best to maintain his stance. He only let his gaze leave the king to flicker to Caroline apologetically; hey at least she got to spend some alone time with her father though! And Rayner was sending for Silas which was not going to make the atmosphere any less awkward, and he wondered if Silas would be betrayed that Arthur hadn’t mentioned Caroline’s pregnancy sooner. He didn’t want to have disappointed the two important men in this kingdom already.

Arthur, good as ever at taking orders, sat down without a word, more reflex than any thought in the motion. Arthur didn’t need to know Rayner to know that right now he wasn’t happy with him at all, he felt like a little kid and there was something more humiliating about being told off by someone who wasn’t your parent. He frowned slightly as Rayner inquired about Silas, as if automatically assuming he’d taken Arthur somewhere bad despite the fact that that wasn’t the case. And suddenly Arthur was realising that he might need that exit Silas had showed him. He opened his mouth and then closed it again, gaping slightly in shock at the punishment from being late. It’s not like Arthur had ever really been grounded and yet here he was now, in a foreign kingdom, confined to a castle with people he didn’t know.

Rayner may be slightly apprehensive with his punishments of Arthur in the attempt to avoid an international incident however Arthur had been sent there as punishment, Alexander was probably hoping Rayner would be hard on him, might make him appreciate how lax Alexander had been with him before, maybe the kings should stay in contact so that Rayner knew he didn’t need to go too easy on Arthur. And yeah, Alexander would probably be laughing right now at Arthur’s reaction to Rayner.

“Silas only showed me some of the city” Arthur murmured, in a weak form of defence for the prince, he wasn’t sure if Rayner would like to know that they’d been to a temple he didn’t believe in but his late wife had, maybe best not to test the waters yet. “I won’t be late” he promised and he glanced at Caroline again, was her father always like this? He’d like to protest his confinement but he already And the king glaring at him, he couldn't imagine arguing would endear him to the king. So, Arthur just nodded his head in resignment: “understood”. So yeah, feeling very welcomed so far.

“I wanted to thank you for housing some of our knights by the way” Arthur murmured, and he was glad that the knights were here actually, some familiar people for him to associate with. “You’re generosity is very much appreciated” and another glance at Caroline, how to bring up the news carefully? “And speaking of unity between our houses... “ he murmured and well.…did Caroline want to break the news? This was her father and her kingdom.

Rayner didn't want excuses. That was clear on his face and Caroline bit her lip as she watched her husband. Luckily he soon was simply trying to apologize once more. Reminding Caroline a bit of a scared puppy. Arthur seemed to be trying to change the subject. Though Caroline didn't think it was working to well... But that was soon to change. Caroline very much felt put on the spot when Arthur looked at her. But she decided not to waste any time. It would hopefully curve her fathers anger. "I'm pregnant. " She spoke up, And then her father was looking towards her.

For a moment he seemed to relax a bit. Shoulders less tense. "Finally good news... " He murmured softly. Tone far more gentler. For a moment it seemed like the tone of things was to be happier. Arthur's behavior might not have forgotten. But a heir outweighed such feelings. Still, They were not to have peace for long. Silas had failed to get far. Likely the guards had already been ready to grab him before his father had even spoken. The door was suddenly opening and in waltzed a guard. Hand on the back of Silas's neck as to urge him on.

"Ow, Ow, I'm coming, " Silas complained. The guard soon released him. dipping his head before leaving as to return to his post. Silas grumbling and rubbing the back of his neck. Finally looking up at the table. Eyes landing on his father. Things suddenly turning rather quiet and Caroline swore the room seemed to get colder. If her father was annoyed with Arthur, He was completely furious with Silas. Though such was hardly unusual. Rayner then spoke quietly. "Both of you, Leave me and Silas to talk. Now. " Well, Seemed Arthur wasn't going to eat dinner. Rayner's words left no room for argument. Caroline was already on her feet. Looking sympathetically towards Silas.

Arthur could almost believe that Rayner was pleased by the news and he actually let himself breathe. This was good news, something to celebrate if you didn’t know the intricacies of Caroline’s love life but that was hardly something Arthur planned to share with the king. Maybe they could start to actually build a good rapport, Arthur and Rayner, but those hopes were soon dashed with the arrival of Silas. Arthur had thought that maybe the king wanted Silas to join them all, for them to have a meal like a family, get to know each other but it seemed that wasn’t to be the case.

Rayner seemed to be big on the instructions and not that Arthur was one to complain but he didn’t feel the king was being too polite himself and well, he could tell Silas was in for a scolding. He should walk away, of course he should, because it was his first day here and already he’d upset the king but Silas was his friend, he had to be right? And he didn’t deserve to be shouted at for helping Arthur out. Of course there was more history behind it than Arthur knew but he’d like to stick up for his friend as foolish as it was.

Arthur stood up but was clearly hesitant to leave straight away. “I’d just like to say that it wasn’t Silas’ decision to go to the city, it was mine” Arthur murmured, although that wasn’t strictly true. They had gone though in an attempt to cheer Arthur up and it had, he was starting to realise how oppressive the castle was. There was probably more to this scolding than just that but Arthur would like to alleviate what blame he could. “i should have thought better before I dragged him into my explorations, my apologies” yeah, Rayner might not like that.

Silas was already bracing himself. Tensed up and staring at his father with narrowed eyes. But then Arthur was speaking up and Silas couldn't help the surprise on his face. He hadn't really been expecting that. But it got Rayner looking at Arthur. Of course the king knew it had likely been Silas's idea. Silas was a trouble maker and the man didn't seem much convinced by Arthur. But, The king decided not to call Arthur out on that lie. Instead he simply said. "Noted. " Standing up and seeming in thought. He looked towards Caroline and the young woman wanted to stay with her sibling. With Arthur. But she could tell her father wanted her gone. So, Giving a apologetic look towards Arthur. She scurried out of the room. Leaving the three men behind.

The king then murmured. "I suppose if you are responsible you should be more harshly punished? Alongside Silas of course. My son knew very well what he was doing. " He wasn't able to really hurt Arthur. But Alexander had left Rayner in charge and right now? Rayner was not impressed. Taking the blame felt foolish and Arthur surely needed to learn better then that. The king then crossed his arms. No one was here to watch the king besides the few guards that lingered nearby. He did not need to keep up appearances. Thus he questioned Arthur. "Tell me, In your kingdom. What would have been done? How would you be punished. " That made Silas step forward.

Silas then growled. "Leave him alone. We both needed some time to breath. So f*ck off. " His voice got Rayner's focus. But Rayner simply shot a glance towards one of his guards. Waving a hand and the guard was approaching Silas. Who was already wincing. As if he was expecting to be struck. Moving a bit closer towards Arthur, As if seeking some form of protection. Rayner didn't pay much more attention to his son. Already looking back at Arthur expectantly. Waiting for his question to be answered.

Rayner stood up and Arthur didn’t think this was going to go down well. He could hardly blame Caroline for leaving them, he’d left her for so long by being late and besides, she had enough on her plate already, best for her to go. And of course Rayner was suggesting a harsher punishment, like being grounded wasn’t already overkill enough. Where would Rayner draw the line in the sand on punishments? A slap was understandable enough but scarring Arthur was perhaps too far, or maybe he didn’t plan on touching the prince physically.

Arthur couldn’t help but frown as Rayner asked how he’d be punished in his own kingdom, as if Rayner wasn’t completely overreacting, they’d just been late, maybe Silas hadn’t been supposed to leave the castle but who could blame him for wanting a little freedom? They hadn’t done anything illicit or dangerous, what was there really to punish? And then Arthur snapped his gaze incredulously to Silas as he further provoked his father; well, seems there was no going back now. Arthur narrowed his eyes as the guard approached and reached out a hand to hold Silas in some way.

He looked back to Rayner, already feeling outrage flickering in him and tilted his chin defiantly. “Well for starters, my father would be far more forgiving. He is a reasonable man,“ Arthur stated, of course with the implication that Rayner was out of line. He couldn’t see Alexander overreacting so much to some lateness, then again all it took was a disappointed look for his father and then Arthur felt bad for a week and did his best to act better. He wasn’t one usually punished, and Arthur himself was usually punished via outside forces, such as the flogging of Kay but Arthur was hardly going to suggest that to the king. “You are a busy man are you not? Then surely you have something better to be doing than terrorising your son?” Arthur insisted, unless of course Rayner had a carved out time slot for that which was entirely likely.

And something else irked Arthur: the way that Rayner got a guard to hurt Silas. Like when they’d first arrived, it had been a guard by Silas, the one who had appeared to hit him, and now, Rayner had sent a guard again to do his dirty work. “Does it make you feel better to have someone else hit your son?” Arthur asked, and now his tone was less than polite, the attempt to please Rayner gone from his face. Alexander may not have been a perfect father but at least he hadn’t raised his son to hate or fear him. “Are you not man enough to do it yourself? Or does it let you believe that maybe hurting your son is good?” Arthur was not off to a good start so far and he could just imagine the look his father would give him but Arthur couldn’t just stand there and let Rayner act like…..well, a king he supposed. Still, he was abusing his power! Maybe Rayner would get a guard to hit Arthur, or do it himself if he was feeling up to it, but Arthur was not some defenceless boy, which wasn’t to say Silas was, but he was far more trained in the medium of physicality and could probably give as good as he got, still, punching a king in return likely would not help his case here, might make some guards a little hesitant though. They thought of Arthur’s kingdom as barbarians, perhaps he should lean into a little.

Silas was close to Arthur now, And while Silas kept his head held high. Being this near, Arthur could probable see the clear signs of fear. Feel him trembling next to him. Silas was terrified of his father. Perhaps he acted tough. But he was scared. Rayner wasn't pleased at all with Arthur calling him out. But Silas? He didn't know if it made him more relieved. Or terrified him further. Few would stand up to his father. And none had ever stood up for him. It was nice, But there would be some sort of fallout for this. Silas knew that very well. Atleast Arthur's grasp on Silas had made the guard stop. Hesitant to near the other prince.

Rayner studied the two for a moment. Listening to Arthur. His head tilting to the side for a moment in thought. "Thats how to punish you? Isn't it? Threw others?" Arthur was protective. Maybe Rayner could not harm him. But he could harm other people. His arms crossed over his chest. Taking a step forward though he kept a fair distance between them. Rayner then spoke, Voice soft. "Your father raised a weak son. One easily taken advantage of. " Of course he knew about Morgan. Rayner did not seem to desire to explain or defend his actions towards his son. Perhaps he was aware it was wrong and didn't care. Or he saw it as right and felt no need to defend himself. Either way, He then told Arthur. "You care about my son? Good, So here's whats going to happen. "

He leaned a little closer. Telling Arthur, Tone far too gentle for his words. "Every time you step out of line. He'll get punished in your stead. " He clearly had no issue with harming Silas. No, It was almost as if he enjoyed doing such considering how easily he suggested it. This was probable explaining plenty of Silas's issues with his father. But Silas did have fight to him. Snapping. "Oh, So nothings going to change then? Is it? Every freaking day you look for a excuse to do this kind of sh*t. Your just going to use Arthur as your excuse for it now? Aren't you? "

It was difficult to stand up to a king, they could punish you however they saw fit. It took someone with incredible guts, stupidity or some sort of diplomatic immunity to tell a king their mind. Well, Arthur had at least two of those things, you can decide which two. It seemed, for a fraction of a second, that Arthur’s backing would possibly help Silas, that guards were hesitant to go through Arthur to hurt Silas, however things were quickly changing. Rayner had him sussed out almost immediately; Arthur wanted to protect those who needed it, right wrongs and deal with injustice. Rayner could take advantage of that and Arthur felt dread work its way up his spine as he realised where this was going.

Arthur did not back down as Rayner grew closer and his outrage only grew as Rayner called him weak, discredited his father’s raising of him. Alexander might like Arthur to be put in his place, wanted him to understand the world better and grow more cynical but he might not like Rayner calling Arthur weak; Alexander wasn’t here though, Arthur had no father to run back to here. “At least my father did not raise me in fear” Arthur shot back but perhaps Rayner thought fear was the only effective way to raise a child, except that couldn’t be true because Caroline did not seem to have the same fear towards her father as Silas did.

Arthur narrowed his eyes at the threat; he did not want to put Silas in danger and it would likely be effective but it was also horrible and cruel and not at all just. And it seemed that Rayner’s torment of Silas was an almost daily thing because Silas seemed to see no difference yet Arthur still didn’t need to add to that pile. Arthur couldn’t back down though, Rayner would no doubt win but he needed to know he was not a good man. “So you are a coward and a sadist” Arthur surmised. “If you cannot be loved then you must be feared is that it?” Arthur was not used to this sort of person yet he had no love for Rayner so far. “I know you already think me foolish, but I fail to see the use in having your heir hate you” Arthur mused. “Nor do I see the use of a king who is needlessly cruel and clearly irrational” Well, might as well push the boat all the way out. Maybe Rayner would hit him, he’d prefer that over Silas being hit, and well, Arthur may react physically should someone try to touch Silas, he would do his best to protect him but he was merely a prince compared to the king that was Rayner, he could not be every where at once and he only held a fraction of the power.

Perhaps Rayner was a sadist. That certainly seemed the case, Had Arthur not been a prince of another kingdom Rayner would no doubt have harmed him. Perhaps was still tempted. But war would not benefit him. So he let Arthur speak to him. Let him call him out patiently. Maybe making a enemy of Arthur was not a good idea. Arthur was a future king. But Rayner saw him as weak. Lifting a hand, He then spoke up. "Guards, Separate the two." Rayner could hardly do much with Arthur gripping Silas.

The guards no longer hesitated once given the order. Two approached. One grabbing Silas's arm, And the other attempting to grab Arthur and drag him away. That was dangerous territory. Arthur seemed ready to defend himself and Silas, Perhaps he would be over powered. But he likely had more training and the guards. He might not win. But he could cause some damage.

That was not the case for Silas. Sure, Silas had a little training in battle. But no where near enough to compete with Arthur or any of the guards. He was used to being harmed and unable to defend himself. That didn't mean he didn't try. Hands moving to try and shove the guard off him. Snapping. "Get the f*ck off me. " He barked angrily. His father simply watched and his expression almost seemed... Amused? Though he was certainly hard to read. Rayner's gaze was then on Arthur. Musing. "Perhaps I am cruel and irrational. But you are in my kingdom now. Not back home with your daddy to protect you. You'll listen and do as I say while your here. I plan to make sure you understand that. " There was no kindness in his voice. It seemed Arthur's time here would not be pleasant if this behavior was going to continue.

Arthur was perhaps being a bit bullheaded in this matter but once he decided his track he tended to stick to it. Rayner did not want and neither did Arthur yet the two probably could’ve done a bit better to get along. Arthur almost gaped again as the king ordered them to be separated, he could hardly believe this was happening, it felt like a nightmare that he should be waking up from any moment now but that clearly wasn’t the case. Arthur was not used to be manhandled like this, there had never been a need for it. He’d always been a fairly well behaved boy and what reprimands he had needed had come in the form of words.

Arthur was a bit too shocked to struggled against the guard that held him at first but his whole body tensed as Silas fought back against his own guard. Arthur looked towards Rayner, anger burning in his eyes. “I hope I never understand the likes of you” Arthur spat and went to struggle against his own guard, trying to rip his arm away and then give his guard a fair shove. Arthur was grateful for his constant training, the muscles that he had built and the strength that he had cultivated but he wished he had his sword on his right now, this was make things far easier. Perhaps, Arthur would need more than one guard in the future in order to restrain him?

He went to take a step towards Silas, wanted to rip the guard off him but he also didn’t want to escalate the situation any further than it already had. This really hadn’t been how Arthur hadn’t wanted things to go; he’d wanted to impress Rayner, make him not hate him, but he’d only ensured that Rayner despised him, and whatever happiness the king had felt over the pregnancy had now dissipated. Arthur was starting to feel a bit deflated. What could he do against Rayner that would mean anything? He scanned Rayner, realising He should try and calm down the situation a bit but he found it hard to cool his boiling blood, still, he tried. “Is that all you wish to say to me? Or are there more threats you wish to divulge?” Arthur asked. “It is only that I’m sure your daughter is missing me and it’s been a long journey” Arthur murmured, and he was sort of womdering what the invoking of Caroline might cause Rayner to feel. “If we are done here then I would wish to retire, assuming your majesty doesn’t have some problem with that?” He didn’t want to be around Rayner any longer, and he didn’t want to leave Silas either but his presence here was not helping Silas at all. Rayner would likely only hurt him more if he had an audience. And Arthur did want to ask Caroline what on Earth was wrong with her father but he also still needed to talk to Gawain, as exhausting as that thought was, but it might be nice to have someone from his kingdom ground him a little, assure him that he wasn’t going crazy and this wasn’t a twisted dream.

Arthur was obviously furious. Managed to get the guard off himself and seemed ready to protect Silas. But he seemed to be realizing there was little he could do. The more he fought the worse things would be. Rayner knew that as well, And seemed obviously pleased when Arthur backed off. Silas was not as pleased. Being pulled away. He couldn't help the expression of hurt that crossed his face. Silas always lost against his father. But he never stopped trying. Arthur had been the first to stand up for him and while him backing off would help in the long run. It did not comfort Silas.

Rayner smiled at Arthur. Musing. "Don't want to stick around and watch? " He questioned. But he was still pleased with himself. Arthur was backing off and that was what he wanted. So after a couple moments he nodded his head. "Fine, Return to Caroline. " He decided. Perhaps if Arthur messed up again he would force him to stay. But today had been lesson enough. So he walked closer to Arthur. Leaning closer and murmuring more quietly. Threateningly. "Do not mess up again. " He warned. He was being kind in his mind, Letting Arthur leave. He would not always be such.

By now Silas was shoved down onto his knees. Awaiting whatever punishment his father had instore for him. For once he was quiet. A mixture of hurt and anger clear on his face. Fear also lingered there. But he was better at hiding that. Perhaps it was a good thing that Arthur had arrived. He would likely be able to give Silas some comfort later. Goodness knows no one else would. Silas had distanced himself from many people. He was hard to get along with, And even those that did share a friendship with him were not likely to stand up to Rayner.
Still, This behavior seemed limited towards Silas. Caroline seemed fond of her father and had never mentioned any such behavior being directed at herself. But surely she had to be aware of it too some extent?

The hurt on Silas’ face was like a knife in his gut, he wanted to fight for Silas so bad but he was only making the situation worse and he didn’t want to cause Silas any more suffering. He glared at Rayner as he talked to him. He didn’t want to stay and watch however he did feel he should but he already felt sick, he didn’t know what he might do if he witnessed it all. It was like Kay all over again, even if Arthur wasn’t the one physically harming Silas, it was his fault that Silas was being hurt.

Arthur‘s hands were curled into fists and he wasn’t in the habit of punching kings but he might start if he didn’t get a lid on his anger. Might start an international incident if he wasn’t careful. Arthur looked at Silas with apologetic eyes and he knew they couldn’t convey the gut wrenching remorse he had for leaving him here but he couldn’t stay, it would not help Silas. Arthur turned on his heel and forced himself to walk out of that room and it was hard, his legs felt like lead and his body was screaming at him to go back there and rip Silas out of the grip of the guard but he couldn’t, where would that leave them? In deeper trouble than they’d started.

Arthur had to work out some sort of plan to keep Silas safe: he could teach him better ways to protect himself? Although he still might not be too much of a match for a guard, and certainly not soon. He needed Silas to be protected at all time, what about the knights here? They would have some form of immunity against Rayner what with working for Alexander and they certainly knew how to protect people, maybe Arthur could find a few to keep watch over Silas and keep any guards from touching him although the knights may be reluctant to go against Rayner’s word. Arthur was their prince though! Yet Rayner was king, that was the problem, he had too much power over the situation, how did Arthur remove it? He didn’t know short of kicking Rayner out of the castle, maybe the knights would be able to hold the castle as a strong hold but this kingdom likely had an army and they were in unfamiliar territory and out if their depth. No, deposing the king was probably not going to work.

Arthur found himself back at their room, honestly a little surprised that he’d remembered The way and He hadn’t exactly calmed down. Arthur was pushing into the room and he felt Caroline really needed to clear this whole thing up for him. “When we’re you going to tell me that your father was abusing Silas?” He asked, clearly a bit riled up. Abuse was what it was to Arthur, a slap was one thing, and he understood punishment but this seemed almost daily, that was not the same thing. Caroline had to know right? Of course she did, shed lived with them forever, knew Silas and her father didn’t get along. Yet, she seemed fond of her father, her missing him had been What prompted Alexander to send them here of all places. Noe Caroline could like her father, he didn’t know, he’d seen no indication that Rayner might ever be a nice person. And he’d really irked something deep inside Arthur, even ignoring the whole obviously hurting Silas bit, it was the way Rayner had told him not to mess up again. Arthur was not a delinquent, had planned on being perfectly polite and a good guest, Arthur was a rule follower, but now, he didn’t want to listen to word that man said, didn’t want to to do anything that he might consider correct. Oh, he missed home.

Caroline had remained quietly in the couples room. A part of her wishing she had stayed. If only to try and help smooth things over or direct Arthur what to do. But she could not deny the relief she also felt. She didn't want to be there for whatever happened. Sadly she could not avoid confrontation forever and the sound of the door opening made her jump a little. Arthur's words catching her off guard as well as the clear anger on his face. Though the anger clearly was not directed at her. Caroline still shifted uncomfortably where she sat. Telling Arthur. "You know how Silas is, He always pushes things. " She tried weakly at first. As if to defend her fathers action. But the way she looked down was clear evidence that she knew what was happening.

Caroline then told Arthur. "I... I didn't think he'd do anything in front of you. He's normally quieter. " So she was clearly aware how bad things were. But was willing to just stay quiet. Though, What could anybody do to stop it? Caroline could see nothing that could help. Thus it was easier to pretend it wasn't happening. She had never been harmed herself and thus that was a easy thing to do. "He's kind to me. He's never been cruel. Firm but has never raised a hand against me. " A small scolding had been the only thing Caroline had ever received.

Caroline though tried to shift the blame. Telling him. "Silas just... He never does what he's supposed too. Acts out. And dad has to be tougher on him, He's his heir after all. " She was trying to defend her father. Didn't want to face what was happening. It was easier to deny. But Arthur was a noble man. She doubted he would sit back and let things happen. Clearly judging by Silas's words no matter what he did his father would find a excuse to harm him. Seemed to take some sick joy from it.

Arthur couldn’t stay still, paced the room trying to get rid of the burning anger inside him, direct it somewhere else rather than at Caroline. Oddly, he’d sort of hoped that she had been unaware, because at least then it was bit easier to stomach the fact that she let it happen. And okay, that wasn’t fair, Caroline had the same problem as Arthur, Rayner still had more power than them and as his child, Caroline would not have been offered the same protections as Arthur, she may have become a victim too had she tried to intervene too much. Still, her words seemed far too forgiving, as if Silas was some how at fault or that her father needed to be so cruel.

At least he could take solace in the fact that Caroline herself had never been harmed at Rayner’s behest. Perhaps Rayner was just a misandrist? Although Arthur suspected it was a bit more targeted than that. “That is not tough love Caroline, it’s torture” he told her. “Your father treats Silas like we would treat a criminal” perhaps worst because at least criminals didn’t have such prolonged punishment and not by someone who was meant to care for them. “you should’ve told me” he sighed, at least prepared him for it. “Maybe if i‘d known back home I could’ve helped him claim asylum” he mused although maybe not in Alexander’s kingdom, the marriage was meant to bring the kingdoms together, harbouring Silas would have hindered their unity. He could understand now though, why Silas had run away, he couldn’t really wrap his head around why he’d wilfully return though. Resignation he supposed. All this also helped shed light on Silas’ daddy issues but well, that was hardly the most pressing issue.

”your father threatened me” Arthur revealed. “I’ve been here less than a day and I’ve already been threatened by the king! Any time I do something he doesn’t like then Silas will be punished. I have a feeling he will be doing that a lot, your father doesn’t seem to like a lot” and he shook his head, he felt bad ranting to Caroline, it wasn’t her fault but….how could she stand to look at her father? Arthur’s kingdom may have been far more warmongering but his father was not cruel like this, and he didn’t think his grandfather had been vicious in the same way. Leading an army required charisma, fear would only get you so far, it was a lot easier to follow someone you liked and respected. “What am I to do?” He asked, collapsing into a chair. And he knew Caroline didn’t have all the answers but he couldn’t help but hope she had some sort of miracle solution to all this.

Caroline's gaze was soon drifting down to her feet at Arthur's words. He was right, Sure. But Caroline could not do anything about what was going on. Neither of them could. Arthur then was further talking and Caroline shook her head. Murmuring. "You wouldn't have been able to do anything there. It would have only worried you. I had... I'd hoped you wouldn't find out. " She had expected her father to keep such things private. Not reveal it. But her words were true enough. Arthur might have tried, But it was unlikely he could have really helped Silas. He would have needed Alexander on his side, And would Alexander really risk causing issues with Silas's home kingdom? Caroline couldn't imagine that being the case.

Caroline listened to her husband quietly. His words felt hopeless. Arthur had enough to deal with, His panic attack earlier at only proved that. This would not help him. Caroline could provide no comfort though. She knew not what he could do, Was there anything? Her father was a difficult man and Arthur had no control here. Rayner would do whatever he wanted. Carefully Caroline moved to her feet. Walking closer to Arthur quietly. Her gaze low.

Then she wrapped her arms around him in a hug. She felt like he needed one. There wasn't anything else she could do. She wanted to tell him things would be okay. That it would get better. But she really didn't think that was the case. Instead she tried. "I... Just... " But she couldn't find anything to say. She did not know how to comfort him or help him. Ignoring the problem had always been her solution but she didn't think Arthur would be able to do that.

Caroline was right, he was powerless to do anything but fret. He felt so useless to see what was happening but knowing that his intervention would only be harmful. How could he fight something like that? He couldn’t. He didn’t have the mind of his father, he wasn’t someone used to exceptionally hard decisions, he was just a boy who had no idea what he was doing. And what was infuriating was that he didn’t understand. Why would Rayner do this? How could he stand to hurt his own son. He guessed power did corrupt.

Arthur tensed at first as she put her arms around him but after a moment relaxed into the hug and squeezed her back. She was comforting in a way he hadn’t expected. She was his wife, maybe not his lover, but certainly a friend and he felt close to her like this. “I know” he murmured, trying to be soothing, it probably wasn’t a happy subject for her either. “Silas won’t be free until…..” and he fell silent because he knew his that sentence ended. Silas wouldn’t be free until Rayner was dead. But Arthur couldn’t say that, couldn’t incite what that meant. He couldn’t stage a coup and he couldn’t contemplate killing a king. Arthur may have killed Loth but that was out of self defence, he was not a killer and ignoring that, it’d certainly cause havoc. Maybe they could just hope Rayner fell ill so that Silas could take the throne? But that had its own problems anyway, Silas was very quick to cling onto others and as had been seen, wasn’t the best at defending himself, he’d need to work in that before he became king.

Arthur tried to rid his head of such awful thoughts and instead murmured to Caroline: “I still have to try and help him” She probably already knew that though. Maybe he could try and do it in a way that Rayner wasn’t aware of, away from his gaze. “I’m sorry” he apologised. “I’m not trying to stress you out, and I really didn’t mean to be late. It was nice to hang out with Silas though, he’s sweet under the layers of annoying” he murmured with a slightly sad smile. “did you talk to your lady?” He asked, maybe she’d offered her some advice about the pregnancy. And speaking of help, Gawaun would probably be helpful to Arthur. He’d assisted Morgan with her pregnancies, could no doubt offer some advice to Arthur about doing something similar with Caroline.

Last edited:
Caroline's position was a little bit awkward. Leaning down to hug him, And when he wrapped his arms around her. She found herself practically sitting on his lap. Which perhaps was a bit embarrassing. But Caroline didn't think to much about it. Instead resting her head against Arthur's shoulder. He was talking and his words were dangerous. So Caroline gently shushed him. She didn't much want to think about her father dying. She still loved him, Which complicated matters. Arthur wasn't giving up though. He'd do his best to help Silas. That Caroline knew.

Caroline found amusement crossing her face at Arthur's words. "He certainly has a lot of annoying layers. " Silas had a attitude. But he was sweet. Was brave at times. Though he did have a tendency to flee from his problems. Caroline then sat up as to look at Arthur. Murmuring gently. "I'm just glad your okay. " He had seemed to be a wreck when he left, And while he wasn't okay now. He seemed a bit better. Though Caroline feared he might break down again. Everything going on was a lot.

She then slowly nodded her head. Averting her gaze. "I... I talked to both of them, And they're excited. " Caroline's own voice didn't carry that joy. She was scared. Perhaps eventually she would be pleased. But right now? No. She was scared for her own sake, And what if the baby wasn't Arthur's? Lance could very well be the father. Though Caroline hoped it would not be obvious. She then confessed to Arthur. "I hope its a boy. " Then Arthur would have a heir and she'd not have to worry about having another.

Having a girl sit in his lap wasn’t a usual occurrence for Arthur but it wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t exactly as charged as it might have been should she be sitting on Lance’s lap. She was warm though, and kind and comforting, he found a quiet sort of solace in this companionship. Arthur too didn’t wish to talk of death so was happy to move the conversation along. He smiled gently as she agreed with him. Arthur blinked slightly in surprise as she mentioned his well-being, he knew she’d been worried earlier but he hadn’t quite expected her to be so concerned. She had better things to worry about than him. He didn’t plan on repeating earlier, sure everything was a lot at the moment but his outrage and his concern for Silas centred him away from his own troubles. He didn’t have to think about what he’d done or what had been done to him, he could be strong for someone else.

Caroline’s ladies might be excited but it was clear she was not. He didn’t blame her, everything was rushing up so fast and she knew pregnancy was dangerous. she was hoping for a boy and Arthur didn’t say I hope it’s mine. He went to press a gentle hand to her cheek and tried to smile reassuringly. “I hope they turn out as lovely as you” He knew she was beautiful, but it was more than that, she was strange and fierce and funny and vulnerable. They could maybe do without the crippling esteem issues though. In the quiet, the gentle atmosphere they had, he could almost imagine they were in love, and he could also imagine she knew, that he didn’t have to lie to her or hide himself. But instead he chose to speak of another secret. “If….if this child isn’t mine” he started softly. “I want you to know I will not be mad“ He was sure the issue was weighing on her mind. “And I will do everything I can to protect the child, and you” he insisted, he wouldn’t tell anyone about it’s true parentage.

He moved his hand away from her face and instead went to take her hand. “I’m going to write home, tell my father the news. But I’m going to write to Lance too, he deserves to here it from us” he didn’t need to take that suck punch in a public forum, besides, Arthur had more than just Caroline to write about. “If you want to send him anything…I can wrap your letter in mine” at least hide it a little, it might be questioned why Caroline would send a letter to a random knight, even if they were known as friends, they hadn't known each other that long. “It might be wise to write him a few words” Tell him not to worry possiby or maybe let him know how much she missed him. Perhaps it would be kindest though to tell him not to wait for her. They would be here a long time and once they came back, Caroline would soon give birth, she would be very firmly in her marriage and probably busy with a child. Lance cared for her, but he had a child already and a life in Arthur’s kingdom to continue, maybe she should give him the freedom to try and move on, or at least let himself try and get over her until her return then they could see where they stood.

Sitting here, With Arthur. Things were calm. It certainly was unlike with Lance. Arthur did not make her heart beat fast, Did not give her the same excitement and joy. Sure, Life was comfortable. But it was not the life she wished for. Caroline couldn't help the feeling that such was the case for Arthur as well. They didn't connect in the same way that her and Lance did. Sure, She cared for him. But none of those feelings were romantic. Her gaze drifted downwards at his compliment. Such was hard for her to believe. But she could not linger on that thought for long. No, Arthur was bringing up something that was on both of their minds.

Caroline felt her eyes getting a bit teary. Arthur was sweet, He wanted to help others. Though she wondered if he would carry resentment over this? If he did, She doubt he would show it. He would rather suffer in silence. He was not the danger though. If the child wasn't his and anyone figured it out... Well, Things would not go well. She shivered a bit at the thought of Alexander's reaction. Confessing to Arthur. "I'm scared... " She dearly wished that this was not true. That she was infertile. Sure, That would come with its own difficulties. But she was happier to face that then this.

Caroline wiped her eyes though. She feared if she was not careful she might begin to cry. Arthur didn't need to deal with worrying over her. He had enough to deal with already. His next words though made her pause. She couldn't help but agree with him. Sending word to Lance... He needed to know. But she would have preferred to tell him in person. Still, At least she would get to write him. She wasn't sure how much she'd be able to say. It was perhaps too dangerous to openly mention anything of there relationship. But at the very least she could tell him she missed him. So looking down at Arthur's hand. She once more leaned against him. Murmuring a soft. "I... I'd like that.... Arthur.. Thank you. " It felt like more should be said. Arthur was doing so much for her. But she wasn't sure if she could ever relay how thankful she was to him. "Your a good friend. " She confessed. Because that was what they were. Friends. Maybe they weren't in love. But they still cared for eachother.

She was agreeing to send something to Lance and he was frankly relieved, he had The feeling Lance would be going crazy at the news with no word from Caroline, hopefully her letter might be able to soothe some of his woes. Should the weather be nice and the bird be quick, they might even get a a reply by next week. But, maybe they should focus more on this kingdom for now? Did Caroline not have any friends she’d left behind? Or had she only had her ladies?

And speaking of friends, she seems grateful for Arthur and he hummed his agreement, however it was a little half hearted. He was sorry that he couldn’t be more for her. She deserved a happy loving marriage but he had doomed her to a life of marriage without passion. “it’s late“ he breathed, all these emotions, his anger and these warm moments with Caroline, they were wearing him out. But, he wanted to be there for Silas when arayner was done with him, but who knows how long that’d be and if Silas would even want to see him. “Maybe you should rest“ he suggested.

”I…I would like to be there for Silas. Maybe I should wait for him at his room?” He posed fo Caroline, she could come with if she really wanted. And well, what about Silas’ pet? Maybe Arthur should not simply stroll into Silas’ room for fear of being mauled. It was going to hurt to see Silas, and Silas could very well shout at him, but they were friends weren’t they? Silas could do with some comfort.

Sitting with Arthur was comforting. But he was soon speaking and he was right. It was getting late and Caroline was tired. But she was hesitant when he kept talking. She didn't imagine Silas would want anyone near him after dealing with their father. Would probable snap at Arthur. But Arthur likely would not be able to rest peacefully until he saw Silas. So Caroline then murmured softly. "I... Don't know how much he'd like that. But it could not do any harm. " So she stood up. Frowning a bit in thought.

Caroline then shook her head. Telling him. "I would wait outside his room. He might not be happy if you go inside. " Plus, Arthur was right to worry about Silas's pet. Because indeed, He did keep the animal in his room. Often let it sleep in his bed. Though that was surely a safety hazard. The cheetah though was a lazy beast and probable would not bother Arthur much. It might not even wake up at his arrival. Still, It was best for Arthur to wait for its master to return.

Caroline then asked. "Will you be okay? Seeing him? " Arthur was going threw a lot. Didn't need Silas snapping at him. But... Someone probable should make sure the man was okay and considering how few friends Silas had? Well, Arthur was probable the only one that would do it. Even if Silas made him leave right away, Checking on him was for the best.

What worried Arthur a lot was that Silas wasn’t used to being comforted by a friend. Sure Ronan probably used to comfort him but well, Arthur hardly thought it was the same. Silas might not like Arthur being there and Arthur would also not enjoy the sight, but he needed to see Silas to rest his mind, help him in any way that he could. He nodded in understanding at Caroline. He would wait outside. He wondered if Silas would be escorted back by a guard or left to drag himself back to his room.

Silas had been there for him earlier, Arthur would like to be there for him now. “I’ll be fine” he promised Caroline. Even if Arthur would not be totally sound, he still needed to see Silas. “I need to do this” he explained and he really had no idea what state Silas would show up in. Would he be bleeding? Or would he just be red and sore? Arthur went to nudge Caroline gently to her feet and to stand up himself. “I’ll do my best not to disturb you when I get back” he said, that’s if he got back, he didn’t want to wake her up although she might be worried herself.

Arthur gave her arm a little squeeze to reassure her that he’d be okay and made his way to the door. It took him a little while to get to Silas’ room, trying to remember the way Caroline had shown him. He didn’t know how long a wait it was going to be so he sat down outside the entrance, resting his back against a door as he waited for the prince to return. He wanted to apologise, to say sorry for not being able to do anything, but this wasn’t about him, this was about Silas and he needed to be looked after first before Arthur made any excuses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back