• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I Was Fine Until You

Lance's voice had a way of making Chris instantly tense up. Averting his gaze. Luckily for Lance, Jerome was far more friendlier. Scurrying back to his feet as Lance hovered over him. Squeaking. "I don't plan to let it happen again! " He announced, And for a brief moment Chris considered knocking Jerome back down. But decided for the time being to just leave him be. Little Galahad simply remained quiet, Peering curiously at the men as Lance greeted them. Chris simply giving a small nod in greeting. Only to soon frown at Lance's next words. Oh, He didn't want to be the one Lance was looking for. It gave him a bad feeling. But... His wishes weren't anything bad. Still, Chris didn't like it. Because if his little siblings spent more time around Lance? Well, It ment he had to as well. Chris though did say. "I do have a little sister thats not too much older then Galahad. " He confessed.

His expression was soon becoming more serious as Lance kept talking. Worry clear on his face. He was just about to ask of Caleb was okay. But Lance was soon confirming she was fine and Chris visibly relaxed. Giving a small nod. "I... I'll be over to see her soon. " He imagined they'd have plenty of family over trying to see the baby today. Thus Chris figured it best not to bother her right away. But he'd be sure to go visit her tomorrow. Lance's attention was then switching toward Jerome.

The young mans expression was hopeful at the mention of Ruth. Eyes wide, Though maybe he seemed a tad disappointed when Lance said Ruth wasn't ready to talk. But... This was something. So Jerome then said. "I-I have some letters. From our brother. I'll go get them now. " He said, And with that he was stepping away. Scurrying off and Leaving Lance and Chris alone. As soon as he was gone, Chris was already feeling awkward. Keeping his eyes off Lance. He then said. "Well, Uh... I should get going. " He told. Already beginning to move to his feet. Yeah, Maybe it was cowardly, But he figured it was best to flee as quickly as possible. He didn't want to risk Lance trying to help him again.

Hurrah, Chris did have a sibling a similar age, that was good! Chris didn’t promise to bring his sister round though and Lance noticed the lack of commitment but Chris was promising to see Caleb at least and she might eventually encourage him to bring his sister with him. She might be a bit too preoccupied at the moment with her own new child to worry about Lance’s problems which he completely understood. But maybe Lance and Chris could work out this rough patch between them as Jerome was soon leaving to fetch some letters for Ruth. Chris was eager to leave himself though.

”Chris” Lance called and this time it was a bit chiding. He looked at the man. “We can’t go on like this. You think Caleb and the others haven’t noticed our change in attitudes?” Caleb had spoken to him, had advised him to apologise, but he didn’t entirely agree with that assessment. “Look, I don’t want things to be tense between us. I don’t understand your….desire, nor do I agree with it, but I’m willing to not mention it” He told Chris. “I’ll admit that I can be…meddlesome, but know that I only wanted to help you” Lance explained. It wasn’t really and apology but it was an agreement at least to let things lie. It might not be enough for Chris though who really hadn’t enjoyed Lance inserting himself into his affairs.

“i Hear Agravain bought you a mace” Lance said, changing tacts a little. “You used it much yet?” He asked curiously. Chris had not accepted much of his fighting advice either as of late, hadn’t been too keen on it from the beginning but he had at least agreed to spar Lance, they’d seen some of his skill - they’d seen his lack of confidence. “I’ve not fought much with a mace I’ll admit, it’s not the easiest weapon, I‘ve tried out some lighter ones but they’re very….blunt, I prefer something a bit more elegant” he said with a shrug, it was easier to show off with a sword, not many people appreciated the work put into a mace.

Chris couldn't help but tense up as Lance called his name. Eyes narrowing for a moment but he turned to face him. Arms crossing. It wasn't a apology. But he was promising not to mention his desires to anyone. Except that wasn't Chris's only problem with Lance. Still, He let him talk. Explain his intentions to leave things be. Then seemingly try and change the subject. To speak about his mace and Chris shifting. Huffing. "I like blunt things. " But he didn't go further into detail. Seemed it would not be so easy to change the subject. Chris seemed to pause in thought for a moment. Glancing away before finally finding his words.

Chris then told Lance. "Lance, I am willing to keep the peace between us for Caleb's sake. But I don't see us becoming friends. You treat me like a child. " Perhaps Lance did not intend it that way. but the way he spoke to him? It felt like he was speaking down to him. Like he was some little squire and not a full fledged knight. Lance might have been a famed knight and perhaps Chris should have been thankful for Lance's attempts at help. But he could not help but find it all frustrating.

Chris then was continuing. "Even before you found out about my interests. You have spoken down to me, And I don't need that in my life. I get it enough elsewhere. I don't need it from you. And as for my desires? Atleast I have not acted on any of them. When you clearly don't have the same restraint. " He huffed. Gesturing towards Galahad. Lance was the one who'd had a kid out of wedlock! Chris figured Lance perhaps judge himself a bit more before he went on to judge Chris! It was then he glanced up as he heard the sound of hurrying footsteps. Jerome was returning. Panting and Chris assumed he must have sprinted to go and get the letters. Clutching them in his hand as he tried to regain his breath. "Here... They.. Are. " He said between breaths. Though soon was pausing as he looked up and took note of Chris's expression. Confusion forming on his face, And he was about to ask questions. When Chris then said. "I need to go change my bandages. I'll see you later Jerome. " He told. Before then beginning to move away. Limp in his walk. Jerome obviously was confused. Watching him go and soon sent a questioning glance towards Lance.

One had to admire Chris’ steadfast ability to kill Lance’s attempt to patch things up. He would not back down from his stance and that was admirable but not entirely useful to Lance. He narrowed hus eyes slightly as Chris reprimanded him, said they would not be friends and that Lance had not been treating him very well. Maybe Lance was a little….pushy, but Chris was a young knight, he was just trying to share his experience. Maybe he should’ve been a bit more respectful of Chris not actually being a squire but Lance was not as likely to bother with a squire, they had too much to learn. Jerome was good but Lance didn’t bother him as much as he had, tried to, Chris.

Chris was maybe going a step too far, bringing Galahad into it. Or maybe it was exactly what Lance needed to put him in his place. Not many people managed to actually pierce Lance’s thick skin but his words stung, made him recoil a little, think about the harshness of such a statement. Had he been that rude, that mean to Chris? Maybe he had…. Lance liked to think that he was approachable, friendly, popular, that he was laid back and fun but maybe he needed to reevaluate these things, he’d been quite stressed out and strict on that trip and hoe approachable was he really if he took criticism so badly? He’d always considered that he didn’t mind criticism, the chance to learn and improve, but maybe that only concerned his fighting snd didn’t extend to his personal life; he didn’t like Ruth’s judging of him and Gavin, of his father judging his amount Of girlfriends, of Chris saying things about his …slip ups.

Jerome was back before Lance could really recover and he took the letters absent mindedly, staring after Chris as he left. “Okay, I deserved that” he admitted to himself and turned to look at a Jerome who seemed to want an explanation. “I don’t think Chris wants to be my friend“ Lance murmured, down Hearted at the idea but his voice was a bit more neutral. “Maybe I don’t deserve him as a friend anyway, I’ve not treated him very well” he admitted and sighed. “I’m glad you seem to be his friend though” and he smiled at Jerome then. “Was there anything else you wanted me to pass along to Ruth? Are you well?” He inquired. “Maybe once things are a bit better you can come around and we can spar, although I’d like to get to know you more so we could always hang out here” he added, he wanted to know Ruth’s family, know if he’d brother was going to be good for her, not that he’d stop her from seeing him anyway. “Not today though, sorry, I’m a bit busy“ He needed to find Gavin and he figured Her room was the best place to Start and then if not ask around, maybe she’d be with the king in the dining room or the throne room?

Jerome was certainly a bit confused. Staring at Lance questioningly. But he didn't get much of a answer. Seemed Lance and Chris weren't getting along the best. Though Jerome couldn't say he knew exactly what was going on between them. Still, He then tried. "I'm sure he'll warm up to you." Except he didn't really have much details. So he couldn't say that for sure. But Lance was explaining he hadn't treated the man well and that made Jerome tilt his head. Walking closer and flopping down in the eat next to Lance. He couldn't say he really understood what the problem was between them. Lance seemed rather friendly, And Chris had always been friendly towards him. But... Maybe it was best not to pry?

Lance was then questioning Jerome and the young man glanced away. "I... No... " His expression becoming a bit sad as he confessed. "I know I should have something to say to her... But I just... Don't really know what to say..." Maybe just ask her how she was? But that did not feel right considering everything she'd been through. Jerome was encouraging himself and Jerome to get to know each other. Which Jerome found a bit surprising. But, Lance and Ruth had seemed close. It was reasonable for them to get to know each other.

Jerome hesitated for a moment. Before suddenly asking. "May I ask, Are you and Ruth... You know? Together?" The two seemed rather close. She'd wanted Lance to be at her side. And well, Even Jerome knew Lance's reputation. It wasn't that unreasonable for him to think that something might be going on between them. Though Jerome wasn't sure how he felt about that. He wanted his sister to be happy. She'd had a tough life and he wouldn't get in the way of any happiness she found.

Lance hoped Jerome was right, maybe with time he’d break down Chris’ resistance to him but maybe not. He couldn’t be liked by everyone, Agravain and the others were proof enough of that but he hoped Chris wouldn't end up hating him like they did. It was a shame really but no time to linger on it right now. It was a little surprising that Jerome had so little to say but then what did one say to a long lost sister who you bar,t knew anymore? Lance wasn’t sure he’d know where to start himself but at least he‘d been given the letters and could see that Jerome, besides maybe some emotional distress about Ruth, seemed okay. He would report that back to her.

Jerome was asking some questions next which Lance honestly had not expected but maybe he should have. Him and Ruth together? It was not a possibility he’d even thought of, even if it was one that Gaheris had accused them of. “No” he told Jerome blandly. Ruth was not his type and she’d been in his care, under his protection, it was a bit too much of a power imbalance to have considered it even if she had been his type. No, he saw Ruth like a baby sister but he didn’t say that to her actual brother, wasn’t sure how that might be taken. “She’s just my friend but she’s a good friend and I want to look out for her” he explained.

Jerome very possibly might not believe him, Lance had a reputation and he had lied before about his relationships but why would he bother lying about his closeness to Ruth? “I will say that she is considering courting though” he told Jerome, not sure how the other man would feel about that. “I was going to vet some squires actually, see if any might be suitable or would be interested” he explained, maybe Jerome could be of help? He would know the squires better than Lance and he had a vested interest in Ruth, it might be nice for him to try and find her a boyfriend with Lance. “Don’t suppose you have any suggestions?” He asked. Jerome might find the topic uncomfortable though, but that wouldn’t stop Ruth from dating so Jerome should get used to the idea.

Jerome tilted his head at Lance's response, A bit surprised by the answer. He knew Lance's reputation. But he supposed he was a bit pleased by the news. Not that he would mention that to Lance. Jerome then said softly. "I'm glad she has people that can watch her back. " How long had she been on her own? Jerome didn't know if he'd want to find out the answer. But Lance seemed to be a good friend to the girl. Was taking care of her. Though Jerome was a bit startled by the news of her courting. He knew he shouldn't have been. Ruth had her own life. She could court someone if she wanted to.

Lance was asking for his suggestion. And Jerome really didn't think he wanted any of his friends dating his sister. But... Maybe this was a chance to do something good for her? Set her up with a good man, Even if he found it uncomfortable! So he then after a moment said. "I could arrange for you to meet some of the squires. Say you wanted to practice sparring with them, That way you can meet them. We could even maybe do it at Caleb's place. So Ruth would be able to see them? " She might see someone she particularly liked. And even if not. It could give her a chance to make friends.

Of course, Jerome knew he needed to keep his distance. So figured he wouldn't be able to join. But that was okay. Jerome then told Lance. "A lot of my friends are kinda hooligans though. " Then again, Most were teenagers. So maybe that should be expected. Lance probably was expecting that from most of the squires.

Lance might be hurt if he knew Jerome was relieved but at the same time he might be used to that sort of reaction. Sure he had status and money but he also had a reputation, even if not all of it was true, and he did now also have a child, that was a lot for someone as young as Ruth. He smiled gently as Jerome looking out for his sister. He had been hesitant about Ruth meeting her family, about her desire to go back to what she’d lost, aware that it was unlikely to be fully regained but Jerome seemed like a good fellow so far and he hoped that the siblings would rekindle some of their sibling bond in time.

”that’s not a bad idea“ he agreed, it would be good for Ruth to meet the other squires in general but she could also browse them as well to see if any caught her eye. Maybe Ruth would think they were going to a bit too much trouble, parading the squires in front of her but as Jerome said many of them were hooligans, it’d be best for Ruth to get a feel herself. “i Should expect so, I was a hooligan at that age too,” he admitted with a slightly cheeky smile. “I’ll see about getting the squires round, it’ll be good for Caleb too, to get her back into the feel of things” Rather than put her up against fully fledged knights, the squires would provide someone as eager as she was but also someone not too polished. “It might be a little while though since she just had the baby, I’ll let you know” Lance promised, then they could iron out the details and get the squires round. Lance waved the letters briefly before tucking them into his pocket. “I’ll give these to Ruth, just give her some time and I’m sure she’ll send for you sooner or later“

“I’ve got to go Jerome, have fun sparring and Remember not to be too beholden to your pride” he advised, going to give Jerome’s shoulder a friendly slap before parting to find Gavin, picking Galahad back up and making his way to her room. Would she be about? Very possibly not, she might be with her daughter but he was sure someone would be able to point him in her direction although she might be with the king and that might be harder to extricate her from. He could hardly lie to the king and say he’d been ordered to look after her! Normally he said the king had sent him to take Gavin and no one really questioned him but Alexander would obviously know if he’d given that order or not.

So it seemed a plan was somewhat being set. And it wasn't only for Ruth, But Caleb's benefit as well. Frankly it might do the squires some good getting a chance to train with someone like Lance. They didn't have to know they were just trying to find a good boy for Ruth! Jerome was then giving a small nod at Lance's words. His expression hopeful. Lance was saying to give Ruth time. But... how much time would it take? Maybe years? Jerome wasn't sure. But he could wait as long as she needed. Lance was then soon enough leaving Jerome behind and alone with his thoughts.

Lance might find it a bit difficult to escape with Gavin. As she was currently in the throne room, Currently chatting with the wife of one of Alexander's advisors. Little Gabriel at her side, And well. The woman was very much gushing over Gabriel. Which, While Gabriel did certainly enjoy the attention. The little girl was clearly beginning to grow bored. Alas, She wasn't being given any chance to flee anytime soon. As her mother was in the middle of a conversation. saying. "We will definitely have to take you up on your offer one day, Perhaps we could see a-Er..." Only for her voice to falter as she spotted a familiar knight entering the room.

It was hard not to feel her cheeks beginning to heat up. Though she tried to ignore it. Instead reaching down and scooping up Gabriel. Gavin then was explaining. "Ah- My apologies. I need to check something real quick. But we will certainly need to pick up this conversation again sometime! " She said, A small attempt to excuse herself. Luckily the woman didn't try to ask any questions. Just seemed a bit confused as Gavin began walking away from her.

She didn't go straight towards Lance though. Too many people were around. But she trusted if he wanted to talk, Then he'd follow. So. She was soon slipping out of the throne room. Stepping out into the hallway which luckily was a bit quieter. Such would hopefully provide some privacy. Thus she was soon moving to a stop. It wasn't odd for Lance to seek her out, But normally such things were limited to the night. Or when the castle was a bit quieter. So... Well, It was hard for Gavin not to feel a bit on edge!

Lance took a little while to find Gavin and she was not alone. Lance glanced at her, seeing her make her way out of the room and he hoped that was so they could meet up, not so she could escape him. Lance stopped by one of the advisors also present in the room and gave him some small statement about his work; he didn’t want to make it seem like he’d come in there for nothing, but he soon was also escaping and he followed after Gavin, finding her in the hallway, his lips curving into a smile.

“hey beautiful” he grinned, keeping his voice a little hushed though as he approached. “I was thinking maybe we could go to that lake in the forest I told you about” he suggested, he’d like to be somewhere private with her, and their kids, but he wanted to talk to her about Ruth, explain that she knew, what she’d threatened, although he wasn’t completely sure if it was a good idea to put more on her plate and stress her out but he Also didn’t want to be keeping stuff like that from her.

Being out in the open like this during the day was a bit unusual but it was nice, a bit thrilling but also a bit of a window into what things could be like if they were public. “Everyone is distracted right now” explained. “Caleb gave birth” She might want to go see her new nephew rather than go on a date and he’d understand but would be a little disappointed. “She’s fine, had a little boy apparently but I’ve not seen them, I don’t think Agravain will want me around just yet” or ever but best not to put too much stress on the couple right now. ” so I figured I’d get out of their hair and into yours instead” He hooked a finger around a lock of her hair teasingly with a smile except they weren’t really alone out in this hallway, Galahad and Gabriel were there and whilst Galahad couldn’t hear what they were saying, Gabriel certainly could. Lance was not used to having a child overhear him so that might take some getting used to.

It did not take long before Lance was catching up, And even with Gabriel around it did not take him long to begin flirting. Gavin's cheeks soon turning a shade of red. Blinking in surprise at his words. "Now? " Sure, It was exciting to go off with Lance. But it felt sudden. Except Lance seemed to think such was a good time. He was soon dropping the news that Caleb had finally had her baby. A part of Gavin certainly wanted to stop everything and go to see her brother. To congratulate him. But things had been tense between the two siblings and Gavin did not know if her presence would be welcome. It might only cause stress. Thus she stayed still. Biting her lip in thought. Meanwhile, Gabriel stared at Lance a bit strangely. Not seeming sure what to make of him.

Finally she then wrinkled her nose and asked. "Are you a stranger? " Which pulled Gavin from her thoughts. Gavin then finally told her daughter. "Sweetheart, He's not a stranger. He's a... Friend. " She decided. Her tone a bit hesitant. But she then looked towards Lance. Saying. "I.. Okay, We can go. But I'll need to talk to the king. " She need permission to leave. But all she had to say was she wanted to go out to spend some time with her daughter. The king should allow that. Luckily Gabriel did not know Lance's name. So even if she did bring up that they were going with a man. The king hopefully wouldn't realize it was Lance!

Gavin then smiled at her daughter. Saying. "C'mon, Why don't we go say hello to King Alexander. Hmm?" Gabriel didn't seem the most excited at that. Far more curious about Lance in front of her. But she didn't argue. Just gave a little nod. Gavin then focused on Lance. Saying softly. "We'll only be a minute. " She promised.

Gavin clearly hadn’t existed such an invite, had likely expected him to wait a few days like previously planned but it was hard to stay away from her and he wasn’t sure they’d get as good an opportunity as right now, not with Ruth now in the know about the situation. He let his gaze flicker to Gabriel and gave her a friendly smile as Gavin reassured her daughter a little. He had spoken to Gabriel before but Gavin had been quick to try and force him away from her daughter, he didn’t expect her to rembee such a brief meeting and he didn’t think he’d ever introduced himself either. Maybe in time she would come to recognise Lance though, for him to be a familiar figure, that’s be nice, but also risky.

Lance nodded in understanding “hurry back” he murmured. Alexander hopefully granted her some release, she’s still be guarded! Admittedly this likely wasn’t what Alexander had in mind but Lance wouldn’t let his ffection for her blind him and allow her to scarper, he didn’t think she’d try it anyway. She genuinely liked him, he was certain of that, these feelings were real, this was a date not a ploy!

Alexander was on his own, looking over some documents at the dining table, figuring it’d be more peaceful in there than the throne room where his advisors gathered. He looked up as Gavin entered, turning his attention to Gabriel shortly afterwards and giving the young girl a welcoming smile. He might not know Gabriel super well but she was family and he had come to know her a bit better since she was now often around the castle. Now, what did Gavin want? She seemed a little flushed which was interesting and well, Alexander had been at the masquerade ball and sure the masks did a good enough job but there were certain people he could tell a mile off, people he saw often, people he was close with or his family was close with. “Did you enjoy the ball dear?” He asked nonchalantly but that a bit of a feeler, he knew where he was going with his implications. “I saw you managed to get on the dance floor“ Again sort of innocent but her and Lance had been extremely close, familiar, and his lips had been wandering, scandalous enough as it was, even more so when you factored in her recently deceased husband. “You seemed quite cosy with a particular partner for much of the night” of course he’d kept an eye on her, especially after seeing that, after recognising who they were. Oh how intriguing Gavin was.

The king was not difficult to find. Seemed pleased to them as they entered the room. Gavin was quick to greet the king. Nodding her head and saying softly. "Greetings My King. " While Gabriel simply lifted her hand and gave him a little wave. Gavin was thus about to make her request. Except the king was speaking up first. And Gavin nodded. Going to take a seat nearby. Beginning. "Indeed I did, It was a lovely night. " She was expressing. Though Gabriel did pout. Complaining. "I didn't get to go. " She whined. Gavin's thoughts though were soon distracted when the king continued talking. Realization soon hitting her as her face began to heat up.

But it was fine. The king might have seen her with a man. But that didn't really mean he knew it had been Lance. It could have been any guy. Except Alexander had a certain knowing look on his face. Gavin then said, Voice a bit strained. "I'm afraid I don't know who you are referring to. I danced with a few different people last night. " Normally Gavin was good at lying? Right now? Nope. Her face was red and she was obviously embarrassed. Looking anywhere other then king Alexander.

Gabriel seemed a bit confused. Not fully getting what was going on. But her mother seemed distressed. So, Gabriel decided to be helpful and talk of happier things. Saying to Alexander. "A man is taking me and mommy to a pond today! Mommy wanted to know if she could go. " Gabriel explained. Right to the point. Though Gavin looked like she might have wanted to melt into her seat the more her daughter spoke. Yeah, They might find it difficult to keep Gabriel from spilling everything to everyone. The little girl liked to talk. Could be rather bold as well, So that didn't help.

Gavin was polite, she was quite good at the politics of this place, of being friendly and sweet when really she did not like a person. She didn’t seem quite as good at hiding her embarrassment though sndAlexander watched in amusement. “Maybe next time you can go” Alexander suggested to Gabriel, maybe he‘d have to think about the children for the next ball he threw. Gavin was denying knowledge of what she knew Alexander knew but Gabriel was opening her mouth and putting Gavin‘s foot into it. Hey, at least it was only the king and not Agravain! They really needed to work on keeping her quiet otherwise things were Going to come out soon.

Alexander chucked lightly and looked at Gavin fondly. It was interesting to see her act this way, to lie about the man, to look so embarrassed. “A man? I don’t suppose that man would happen to be the knight from the ball, the one you seem unusually close to?“ Alexander asked Slyly, he was clearly enjoying This which was at least better than him being angry or something similar. He liked Lance well enough, it was a bit surprising the turn around from Gavin hating him, Lance’s ability to move on from her kidnapping her father, Gavin’s willingness to date so soon after her husband had passed but he’d had a few whirlwind romances in his youth, knew what it could be like. Except things must be at least a little serious for Gavin to be bringing her daughter along; What a leap of faith that was!

“You’re free to go if you wish. I trust that he’ll take care of you and well….you seem to trust him more than one would expect“ definitely more than her family would expect. “You must know that neither of your families will approve, of course you do otherwise you would not be sneaking around, but consider that this can’t stay hidden forever” and he made a pointed glance at Gabriel, things would find a way out whether Gavin wanted them to or not. It was pretty obvious, having seen them, that they’d planned to meet up at that ball, that they were close, which meant they’d been meeting and since there was no hushed gossip about the pair in that way that meant they had been doing so in secret which made the most sense but he knew now, so did Gabriel, Ruth knew as well not that Alexander was aware but already Their relationship was spreading. “Have fun Gavin, but do try to return at a reasonable hour, I don’t want to have to send a search party out for you“ Maybe her and Lance would get a bit caught up in each other’s eyes but she couldn’t be out until tomorrow, she was still under house arrest!

Gavin was certainly embarrassed. But, Alexander seemed to mostly just be amused by the entire thing. Though Gavin still kept her gaze averted at his question. Yep, He might not have said Lance's name. But he knew, And Gavin wasn't sure how much point there was in denying it. But hey, Atleast he was giving her permission to leave! That was a good thing. But his words were right, They couldn't keep this hidden for forever. Gavin had never intended the relationship to go this far. Well, She had never expected it to even start in the first place. Thus she was then confessing. "I have no idea what I'm doing. " What did she even intend to happen in the future? She should cut things off! Except that was easier said then done.

Sighing. Gavin then moved to her feet. Dipping into a curtsy and murmuring softly. "Thank you my king, I promise not to stay out too late. " She was ensuring. She had to make sure she was back by Gabriel's bedtime anyway. Oh, She was also going to need to have a talk with Gabriel. Try and figure out a way to keep her from telling everyone about Lance. That was going to be difficult. Gavin then was bidding Alexander goodbye. Gabriel lifting her hand and waving at the man as Gavin turned and left the room.

Oh gosh, Alexander knew. But, He didn't seem to have any intentions of telling on them. Which Gavin supposed was good. except, If he had noticed them, Who else had? How much longer were they going to be able to keep this secret. What would her brothers think? Gavin could only imagine the hurt on there faces. A thought that made her stomach twist. Being with Lance... It was a betrayal towards them. He was dangerous. Yet here she was, Going on a little trip to a pond with him! Bringing her daughter along as well!

Alexander arched an eyebrow as she admitted she didn’t know what she was doing. He supposed that was better than her going into that with the intentions to betray him but Lance seemed to have unbalanced here which was not something a lot of people seemed able to do. He’d have to keep an eye on them but he was glad that Gavin was not alone even if this thing with Lance was ill advised. He couldn’t see Antonio taking it well but Lance had not done much to impress his father lately. Alexander nodded and gave Gabriel a little wave, giving them leave and returning to his work. He didn’t know if her relationship with Lance could last, if it was worth it at the cost of her brothers but she’d seemed a bit distant to them lately anyway.

Lance was waiting patiently for Gavin and perked up as she reappeared but he frowned as she seemed a bit troubled. “You okay?” he asked. “Did Alexander not give you permission to leave?” What could he do about that? Sneak her out? But Alexander might have her checked on if he knew she wanted to go! Well no, that wasn’t the case so at least Lance didn’t have to worry about that, instead he had to worry about Gavin doubting their relationship, having a crisis about her brother’s reactions. Even if she wasn’t close with Agravain and had little faith in him, or even Gawain anymore, Gaheris was going to react negatively to this, the only one who might encourage it would be Gareth, although maybe he didn’t want to think about his sister dating.

”we can do something Here instead” Lance was quickly suggesting, eager to spend some time with her whilst he could. “I can still grab something from the kitchens, we can go to an empty room, grab some paper, play a game with the kids or something” Not all the rooms in the palace were in constant use and even if they couldn’t dine a spare one they could go to Arthur’s! Or maybe that was a bad idea, thoughts of Arthur would bring thoughts of Caroline for Lance and maybe thoughts of Morgan for Gavin and speaking of Morgan actually he wanted to ask Gavin how Morgan’s baby was getting on. He’d heard some of the news but Gavin would be much closer to the source and he was curious of how the siblings planned to handle it, how they were doing in general with a new baby brother.

It did not take long before Gavin spotted Lance. The man was good at understanding her expressions. Could tell she was on edge, Though she hardly tried to hide it. Lance was assuming she had simply been denied leave. Was already offering solutions. But Gavin was quick to shake her head. Beginning. "No- He... He said we could go. " She murmured softly. She then took a moment before saying. "He.. He saw us at the ball. He recognized us. " Alexander knew. Sure, He only seemed amused by the entire thing. But it was worrying to Gavin. They couldn't keep this up, Could they?

Gavin then fretted. "Who knows who else recognized us. I had to tell Gaheris I was secretly seeing a commoner to get him off our tail. But even he could tell something was up. " Sure, Maybe Gaheris had only noticed because he'd been keeping a eye on his sister. But Gavin still was worried. If he found out she was seeing Lance, That she had lied to him? Gabriel seemed concerned by her mothers tone. Soon squeaking. "Mommy? " Which did get her a bit out of her thoughts.

Why was it so hard to keep away from Lance? What was the point of this anyway. Sure, he had a way of making her falter, Of making her heart race. But there wasn't a future there, Was there? Gavin brushed those thoughts away. Sighing. "I... Lets just go to the pond then. " There wasn't anything they could do now, And Gavin wasn't sure they should discuss such in front of Gabriel. No, Gavin didn't want to worry her daughter. Even if she herself was certainly panicked.

Alexander had said they could go but he knew….Lance wasn’t sure if that was a problem or not. If he knew but was still letting them go then he couldn’t object too much but she made a good point, who else knew? And he’d not even told her about Ruth yet! Lying to Gaheris about who he was would work better than denying all knowledge, they’d clearly been close but once Gaheris found out about them then he was going to have some words to say to Gavin, would feel betrayed but regardless of whether she lied now or not then Gaheris would be upset With them.

He glanced at Gabriel and her concern; it seemed Gavin wanted to move on, enjoy the day than linger on their worries too long. She was stressed and doubting about where this could go though, wondering If there was a future for them but there must be, they were introducing each other to their children, why would they do that if this wasn’t going anywhere? Lance seemed more confident and certain of their future but again he had more experience with these sorts of things. He nodded and went to lead them to the stables, hoping that they’d be not too busy at this time, things hadn’t been too bad when he’d arrived.

Lance did Lean closer to Gavin though as they walked. “Ruth knows” he admitted, he figured it might worry her but she deserved to know. “We can speak once we get there” he reassured her, he’d let her know more of the details but since they’d mentioned people knowing he thought it was best to bring up. In the meantime, maybe it was best to keep Gabriel happy and he smiled at the girl. “do you like swimming?” He asked her. “You can go paddling At this pond if you want” maybe he should’ve checked that was okay with Gavin first but it was a pond, of course the kids might want to swim! “And you can play with my son, he could do with some more friends and you seem like a nice young lady”

Finding out that Ruth knew was not at all comforting. Caused Gavin to tense, Another person was aware! Who else knew then? Oh, They should never have gone to that ball. She did give a little nod at Lance's words. Yeah, They might have a decent bit they'd need to talk about! Lance was soon focusing on Gabriel. Who blinked up at him. Before stating. "I can't swim! " Which maybe wasn't a surprise. She was only little after all. Gavin seemed amused at her daughter. Before musing. "Maybe if you ask nicely Lance can teach you how to. " Gavin suggested. Setting Gabriel down as she moved to go and prepare her horse.

Gabriel was soon focused more on Lance, Glancing at Galahad in his arms. Seeming in thought for the moment. He was her new protentional playmate after all. She then said. "Hello. I dunno if I like you yet. Do you know how to swim? Do you like frogs? I once saw a frog with daddy at a pond. It was big! Will we see frogs at this pond?" She was beginning to chatter. Though Gavin was soon looking towards her daughter. Huh, She probably ought to explain that Galahad couldn't hear her. Though she figured her daughter still might try to chatter with him anyway.

Gavin then explained gently. "Sweetheart, I'm afraid Galahad isn't able to hear you. " She began carefully. Causing her daughter to blink. Squinting. Gabriel then announced. "I can talk louder! " About to continue speaking. When Gavin shook her head. Further explaining. "No. I'm afraid he still wouldn't be able to hear you. But he can talk with his hands. I'm sure Sir. Lance would be happy to show you how to talk to him. " She wasn't sure if her daughter really understood. If anything Gavin's words had only garnered more questions. As Gabriel was soon asking. "Why does he talk with his hands? I can't say words with my hands. Can he hear my hands if I talk with my hands? "

Lance wasn’t overly surprised That she couldn’t swim given what Gavin had told him about her own lack of swimming experience. It would be good for her to learn though, it was a good life skill and he’d be happy to teach her, in the heat they’d probably dry off quite quickly afterwards too. Lance’ horse was already prepared from when he’d ridden to the castle so that meant he could keep a better eye on the kids whilst Gavin prepared hers and Gabriel was trying to Talk to Galahad which was nice but obviously the boy couldn’t hear her.

He smiled gently as she insisted she could speak louder and she was curious about how to actually talk to him. “He can’t hear anything” Lance explained. “His ears don’t work, he was just born that way” he didn’t really know how to explain it to a child but he’d try his best. “But he can understand gestures, like if you shake your head, you don’t hear people do that but you understand it” He wouldn’t be able to teach Gabriel too much in their short time together but hopefully enough to understand each other, besides they were young they might not need words!

Lance settled Galahad on the ground for the moment so he could talk to him. This is Gabriel, say Hello, we’re going to play with her Lance explained to Galahad before looking at Gabriel. “I’m telling him you’re name, and this is the gesture For play” he showed her the hand movement, he figured that’d be an important one for them. “I’ll show you some more when we get to the pond but I can always talk to him for you if you need help” he offered and he really did hope the children got along. He’d never dealt with Galahad disliking anyone before, not really besides himself, and he didn’t want the two children to feud, Galahad was important to him but so was Gavin, he’d like this to go well. We’re going to ride to a pond then you can play Lance told Galahad before going to scoop him back up and settle him on his horse and swing up after him, not sure how much assistance Gavin would like with her daughter. “Shall we go?” He prompted, best not to hang around incase the stables got an influx of people.

Lance was soon taking over explaining thing to Gabriel, Though she still seemed a bit confused. Staring up at Lance and asking. "Why doesn't his ears work? " Yeah, Lance probably should expect a lot of questions. Galahad for his part frowned up at his father. Squinting for a moment before looking at Gabriel, Before seeming to get a bit shy and move behind his father. Gabriel seemed willing to try and play with Galahad, For she soon looked down at her hands and was attempting to mimic the gesture. Looking up at Lance. "Like this? " Alas, The lesson could only last so long. As Gavin soon had her horse ready. Was approaching and scooping up Gabriel just as Lance was getting mounted on his own horse.

It didn't take long before she herself was up in her saddle, Along with her daughter. Gabriel soon seeming to change focus from Lance and Galahad to the horse. Reaching up to try and pet the animal before asking. "Mommy! Can I steer the horse! " She was already asking. Causing Gavin to seem a bit amused. Before saying. "Maybe next time. " She then was looking towards Lance. Nodding. "Lead the way. " Gavin encouraged as she trailed after Lance.

The trip was not to be a quiet one. Because well, It turned out. Gabriel was rather talkative. Suddenly asking Lance. "When did you get a horse? My uncle has a horse! I want a horse too. Mommy said she'd get me a pony for my birthday. But I like the big horses! They're tall. your tall too! " She was chattering. Squirming a bit in the saddle. Yeah, It was rather obvious that Gabriel was a rather excitable kid. For Galahad's part. He just kept kept close to his father.

Why didn’t his ears work? Lance wasn’t entirely sure how to answer that, he wasn’t a doctor. Because God had punished them for him being born out of wedlock? “He was born like that” was all Lance could reply even if that wouldn’t satisfy the girl. He smiled as she tried the gesture and he nodded his encouragement. It wasn’t bad actually, legible enough to get the point across if A bit rough around the edges. Poor little Galahad though, he was shy it seemed and that was cute but Lance hoped he’d give Gabriel a chance. Galahad wasn’t used to other kids so he understood his son’s hesitation but he'd like him to be a bit more outgoing, they’d have to build his confidence.

Gabriel was quite active and excitable, eager to get stuck in and Lance couldn’t help but smile at her, it was a stark difference to Galahad’s quietness. He ruffled his son’s hair and kicked his horse into motion, leading them along and into the forest, on their way to the pond. It wasn’t that long a ride but it was far enough away that they wouldn’t be disturbed. “I got my horse a few years ago” he told Gabriel with an amused smiled. “Maybe when you’re older your mommy will get you a big horse” he suggested but it was best she started with a pony first. He’d not even thought about a pony for Galahad but it would be a good idea to teach him how to ride and he seemed to like animals so maybe he should look into it. He had thought about a dog or a cat though for him but Caleb and Agravain had wobble The dog which was good enough for now.

”who’s your favourite uncle?” Lance asked curiously, how often did she see them now? Gavin obviously had fallen out With Agravain but did she still let Her daughter see him? He doubted Gaheris was the little girl’s favourite. And Mordred would hardly count at that age. He glanced at Gavin, he didn’t want to ask her about a favourite brother, didn’t want her to say Gareth and then be in a strange upset and angry mood for the whole day. She seemed a bit on edge anyway due to people having found out. Anyway, they were soon at the pond and Lance was dismounting, setting Galahad on the ground and tying his horse up nearby so it could have a drink if it wanted. He did have some snacks in his saddlebags that he’d managed to scrounge from the kitchen so they could have a little picnic which would be cute. You don’t have to be shy, I’m right here Lance promised Galahad once he was done. Do you want to try and swim? Or play? He asked, speaking the words out loud as well so the others knew what he was saying. The day was lovely, sun shining bright it’d probably not take them long to dry and the pond seemed quite clean, maybe they’d see some fish which might interest the kids.

Gabriel seemed to get a bit starry eyed at the mention of maybe getting her own horse. Soon looking towards her mother hopefully. "Maybe, Lets start with a pony first? " Gavin encouraged. Gabriel then was looking back towards Lance. Pausing at the question and seeming to think for a moment. She then announced excitedly. "Uncle Agravain! He let me have a cupcake once when mommy wasn't looking! " Yeah, That probably was ment to be a secret. And Gavin soon rolled her eyes a little at the news. The little group was soon enough reaching the pond. And well, It was a nice day. Gabriel was already excited to get down as soon as the pond came into sight. Thus, Soon enough Gavin was dismounting her horse. Helping her daughter down.

Except as soon as Gabriel's feet touched the ground she was dashing towards the pond. Causing Gavin to shout after her. "Gabriel! Wait, You'll get your shoes all wet! " She called, Except too late. The girl was already standing in the water. She didn't go far luckily. Peering down into the water and squinting before turning back towards her mother. Shouting. "Mommy! mommy! I see fishes! " She announced. Causing Gavin to let out a small sigh.

Galahad was not as excited. Staring up at his father at the mans question. Galahad then glanced towards Gabriel for a moment before looking back at his father. Signing to the man. "Dont want to. " Before huddling close to the other. It might take a bit for Galahad to come out of his shell. Gavin took a moment to go and tie her horse before approaching. Keeping one eye on Gabriel as she did. Gavin then mused. "He reminds me of how Gareth was when he was small. He used to constantly cling to Gawain's leg. " She mused, And the thought was perhaps a bit of a bitter one. But it was also a nice memory.

Agravain? Lance had honestly expected Gawain but maybe Gawain was too smothering, besides what kid wouldn’t like a mountain of a man that decided to be nice to them! Especially if Agravain gave her piggyback rides and the like. Lance chuckled gently at Gabriel’s enthusiasm. She didn’t seem to want to wait for either of them but she was at least behaving enough to not go diving in and get herself stuck since she didn’t know how to swim. Galahad on the other hand didn’t seem as interested in swimming or looking at fish. Lance sighed softly but didn’t argue with his son and pressed a reassuring hand to his little shoulder. Maybe once he got used to Gavin and Gabriel a little then he’d be more inclined to play. He wasn’t always so shy, sometimes he was quite eager to wander off and if someone caught his eye, like Kay or Percival had, then he’d reach for them but he wasn’t the most outgoing.

Lance glanced at Gavin as she spoke. The mention of Gareth was…fragile, he was surprised she’d mentioned him but she didn’t seem too tense so he smiled softly. “He’s a lot different than I was as a child” he said. And it was quite ironic really that each of them has children that more resembled the other as children: Gavin had said she’d been reserved whereas Lance had been brash, rushed in. “He just needs to warm up to you and Gabriel, after the bandits I think he was a bit more wary of strangers” he explained.

”why don’t we go sit with the nice lady?” Lance suggested to Galahad, signing his words and he went to retrieve a blanket and set it on the ground so they could sit down without worrying about dirt. He sat down and patted the ground, also laying down the food he’d brought. ”why don’t we have something to eat and then we can go paddling” he suggested to the group, doing his best to keep Galahad in the loop. “And we’ll take off our shoes” he added for Gavin’s benefit with a small smile. “I even brought cupcakes” he told the kids, if she liked Agravain just because of that then Lance might be in for a good shot. What, he’d seen some sweet treats and thought they’d be perfect to keep the children happy. Maybe Gavin would be annoyed that he was giving her child sugar but it was just a little cake! Maybe Lance was going to be a bit of an indulgent parent.

Gavin couldn't help but have a bit more of a sympathetic expression at Lance's words. The bandits, She'd heard about that and could only imagine the situation had been rather traumatic. No wonder Galahad was shy. Things were soon taking a happier turn at the topic of food. It seemed Lance had come prepared, Even had a blanket and everything. Causing Gavin to grin. "Well, Isn't this charming? " She mused, Before turning to look towards Gabriel, The little girl was attempting to chase small minnows near the shore. But Gavin soon called. "Gabriel, Come get something to eat. " She encouraged. And it at first seemed Gavin might have to go and fetch the child. But then Lance was mentioning cupcakes. And well, Gabriel was rather quick to get out of the shallow water and rushed over towards Lance. Flopping down next to him and saying excitably. "I want one! "

Gavin nearly rolled her eyes at that. Settling down before telling Gabriel. "You can have one. Just one." She warned. Anymore and well, Getting Gabriel to go to bed tonight would certainly be a pain. Gabriel luckily did not argue. Meanwhile Galahad still did not seem excited. Sticking close to his father. Gavin then said softly to Lance. "You'll need to teach me a few signs one day. " She felt a bit bad not being able to talk to the little fella.

Gavin then glanced towards the water. Soon taking note of a couple ducks swimming nearby and a idea was coming to mind. Soon enough suggesting. "Does he like animals? Perhaps after we eat we could try and feed the ducks? " Gabriel seemed to enjoy the idea as well. As she squeaked. "I like ducks! Can we get a pet duck? No- Wait, A pet fish! I want to catch a fish! But like, A big one! " She was expressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back