• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I Was Fine Until You

Lance seemed eager to finally have a round with Melodias, Thus who was he to deny him? Nodding before making his way forward. "What do I get if I win? " He mused playfully. Soon reaching his position and giving himself a moment to stretch. It was early in the morning after all. But soon he was ready enough. Looking to Lance and giving a nod to confirm he was ready. He waited for Lance to also prepare himself. Before moving forward. Lance was a well known strong fighter. So Melodias had no plans of going easy on him. Soon he was on the offensive. Trying to get in close and swipe across the chest. Caleb was right, Melodias was not slow. He wasn't as fast as Lance was. But such might take Lance a bit by surprise.

Watching from the side lines. Ruth took a seat next to Caleb. Watching curiously while Caleb noted. "Lance is gonna need to get some distance between him and dad. " Melodias was about as strong as Agravain. It was dangerous to stay close to him. Caleb herself always chose to fight in a more hit and run kind of style when sparring with her father. But sometimes it could be difficult to get far enough away from him.

Melodias was keeping the pressure on. Staying close and attempting a few more swipes. Musing as he stuck close to Lance. "C'mon boy, Lets see what ya got. " Lance talked a big game after all. It seemed Melodias was perfectly happy to tease during the spar. Judging by that grin he gave Lance. What? He did enjoy a good fight.

Lance grinned as Melodias was done enquiring about a prize of his own. “Pride isn’t enough for you?” Lance shot back “tell you what, you win and I’ll babysit Caleb for you” he offered and shot Caleb a teasing smile. Yeah, maybe Melodias should take him down a notch. Lance got ready and they were off. Caleb hadn’t been kidding when she‘d said Melodias was quicker than he looked. He was fast, impressively fast for a man his stature, not to mention age. He wasn’t faster than Lance though and he was soon dancing out the way of the swipe.

With how quickly the air moved, Lance could get a sense of how strong Melodias was. Lance had muscles, would be able to block some strikes, but he wouldn’t be able to sustain continuous blocks or hold for long in a battle of strength, no, he was better off trying to move quicker than Melodias and try to get him to tie himself in knots. Lance continued to dodge and it certainly wasnt as easy as his recent fights had been. Boy? He didnt Too often get called that, unless he’d annoyed an older knight. Caleb seemed to think of him as an old man, especially since he was now a father. Oh…father, he was going to be a father again. Lance stumbled backwards as a dodge, barely avoiding the blade. He needed to get his head in the game.

Lance decided to take an offensive stance now, dashing forward to slash at Melodias and move past him, trying to get to his back and give a few more attacks, well aware that he had to avoid Melodias grabbing him and that he would likely turn fairly quickly so Lance was then going to retreat, keeping Melodias in his sights. It wasn’t just Melodias though, from this angle he could see the girls and little Galahad too. Galahad. At least he now knew his son, this new baby wouldn’t know him as a father, that was upsetting, but it was too dangerous. Lance really needed to stop his thoughts drifting, he might be in trouble. Melodias could seriously hurt him if he didn’t watch out. It was a little obvious that Lance wasn’t fully in it though, he was mainly being defensive which wasn’t exactly bad but he wasn’t showing off or giving any flair at the moment, unusual for him.

Melodias couldn't help the slight amused expression on his face. For some reason, He had a feeling Caleb would be the one doing most of the babysitting. Lance could be rather wild after all! Melodias expression soon became more serious because well. Lance was not doing as well as he had expected. His moves slower then they should be. He stumbled somewhat at times. Eventually he did try to strike back. Dashing past Melodias, That was more like it! Lance even managed to nick him slightly with his blade. Though it was hardly much damage. Melodias was soon then turning to face Lance. Except Lance wasn't focused on him. That was clear.

Melodias frowned, Narrowing his eyes and then he was pushing forward. Reaching forward and attempting to grab Lance by the collar of the shirt and pull him closer. Snarling. "Focus! " Before aiming to shove Lance back and take a few steps backwards. Melodias wasn't a real threat, But Lance couldn't be drifting off like this. It would get him killed. Melodias was then going on the attack again. Aiming a swipe at Lance's chest.

Caleb and Ruth continued to watch from a distance. Little Galahad playing in the grass next to them. Ruth of course was grinning, But well, Caleb had tilted her head to the side. Because Lance wasn't acting right. She had seen him spar before. He normally was joking and playful during such times. That wasn't the case now, Maybe Ruth's punch had effected him more then they thought?

Melodias’ grab took Lance by surprise which was evidence enough that he wasn’t up to his normal standard. He blinked in shock and stumbled again as he was pushed back, raising his sword to defend himself. Melodias’ strike hit his sword and Lance struggled against the immense force of it, his fingers tingling and his arms shaking. He would’ve coped a lot better with that if he’d angled his sword right, if he’d predicted the move. Lance couldn’t be acting like this in a real fight, it’d get him killed, it would leave Galahad without a father and he couldn’t do that to his son, and it meant he’d never meet this new child but maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad thing for the child’s future.

Lance shook his head, trying to focus and then he went forward to slash at Melodias’ shoulder, then his hip before bringing the sword further up to get his chest then going to retreat, trying to get his mind to catch up with the fight. His retreat wasn’t all good though because it meant he caught another glance of Galahad which only compounded the problem. Lance gripped his sword tighter but his mind wasn’t fully with the fight which was dangerous. He was the one who’d wanted to fight Melodias and now he was letting him down, like he’d let down his father by having Galahad out of wedlock, Antonio would disown him if he found out about Caroline’s pregnancy being his fault. Lance swallowEd thickly and tried to pay more attention, his gaze going to switch to Melodias but it having been off him at all was dangerous In the first place, hopefully Lance would be able to defend himself against whatever Melodias saw an opportunity for.

This really wasn’t like Lance. Maybe Caleb would connect it to his earlier state but that wouldn’t necessarily give her any answers on his actual problem. It might take Lance some time to fully come to terms with his predicament and to learn not to fixate on it. He wished he could talk to someone though. Arthur and Caroline were too far away and he wasn’t going to chat with Gaheris about it, they were his only options……except…..Merlin knew. He didn’t want to give her any more ammunition but she seemed to know these things anyway, maybe she might be useful to chat with, might even offer him some cryptic advice.

Lance wasn't doing well, Barely able to block Melodias's attack. Even with Melodias's snap it seemed Lance wasn't able to focus. That was dangerous. Lance launched his next attack. But it was like he was only half paying attention. Giving Melodias room to block. Lance was fast, Melodias would give him that. If he was actually focusing on the fight he could have been real competition. But Lance couldn't behave like this in a battle. Thus Melodias figured it was time to draw things to a end. Lance's eyes were off him for a moment. Thus Melodias took his chance. Pushing forward and aiming to sweep Lance's legs out from under him. Sword pointed down at him. It was a move Melodias imagined would be simple for Lance to dodge. If he was watching his opponent.

Caleb watched the fight with a frown. Caleb knew Lance, Knew how he fought. This wasn't how he did things. Thus worry was clear on her face. She'd need to pull him aside and talk to him. The fight should have been far more even, But Caleb felt she could see every little mistake Lance made. Caleb thus murmured. "Lance is off his game. " Everyone had bad days, But Lance was one of the best. Even if he was having a off day Caleb figured he should have still be doing better then this. Perhaps he was hurt somehow? Caleb didn't know. But she was worried.

Lance was in his head, aware of Melodias moving but it was like everything was happening far away and to someone else. The present was soon brought crashing down on him though as the world suddenly tilted and he landed harshly on his back, staring up at the blue sky and Melodias’ sword. Ow. He didn’t think he’d landed that badly since he’d been a teenager and at least then it hadn’t hurt so much. It wasn’t just his back though, or the breath being knocked out of him, again, it was his pride which was hurt. Even though he hadn’t been paying attention, or maybe because he hadn’t been paying attention. He managed a smile though, if weak, and managed to wheeze out: “guess I’m babysitting Caleb then” and he actually struggled to say it. It was stupid but just the word baby got a bit stuck in his throat. Hopefully Melodias would just think he was winded, which to be fair he was.

Well, that was embarrassing, not many people managed to catch him unawares and certainly not to that degree, if it hadn’t been clear before that he was struggling with something, it was now. It was a shame as well because he’d been looking forward to sparring with Melodias and now he’d gone and royally messed it up. Oh, yeah, definitely royally. It might take some time and convincing for the two to go another round and then the pressure would be on Lance to actually be a good opponent. Lance decided to lay on the ground a little longer, trying to catch his breath and get his thoughts and feelings in line. He squeezed his eyes shut and took some calming breaths before going to get up and retrieve his sword which he’d dropped when he’d unceremoniously fallen. He went to make his way back to the girls and Galahad, aware Caleb would probably want to say something, know what was going on. He wasn’t looking at her though, no he went specifically to Galahad and sat by him, threading a hand through his son’s hair, hoping it'd reassure him somehow. Galahad was here, knew him, things would be okay because they had to be and right now he was here with his son, that’s all that mattered.

Lance was soon on the ground, A sight that certainly left Caleb surprised. Melodias frowned down at him, Sheathing his sword and narrowing his eyes. "Seems like. " His tone disapproving. Lance seemed to atleast realize how bad he'd done. For he looked a bit embarrassed. Soon retreating towards his son. Who atleast hadn't seemed to have noticed Lance's failure. No, The little boy was busy playing with the grass on the ground. Pausing and looking up when he felt Lance's hand. Before smiling up at him and waving his hand. Melodias was not done with Lance though. Trailing after him and saying. "That was embarrassing. You weren't even paying attention to the fight. I hope you're aware that'll get you killed one day. " He said. Because someone needed to say it. Melodias didn't know if such was normal for Lance. Even if it was rare it didn't excuse it. Lance had to pay attention.

Caleb was soon deciding to come to Lance's rescue. Approaching and saying softly to Melodias. "Dad. " Her voice giving the man pause. And well, Caleb nodded her head. A small gesture for him to leave them be. Melodias of course had more he wanted to say. But he decided to listen for the moment. Sighing and nodding before looking at Ruth. "C'mon, Lets do a bit more practicing. " He urged, Though Ruth seemed like she might argue. She eventually nodded. Following Melodias out. While Caleb focused on Lance.

Sitting down on the ground wasn't the easiest for Caleb, But she soon enough was moving to sit down beside Lance. Quiet for a moment before asking. "I know somethings up with you, So don't bother lying. What happened back there? " To Caleb, It seemed Lance needed to talk. Whatever was wrong was distressing enough to distract him during a fight. It had to be bad.

Melodias seemed displeased with Lance’s performance, wasn’t willing to brush it off with a laugh and a ‘do better next time’, no Melodias instead was telling him just how badly he’d done. He didn’t really need the man to tell him it was embarrassing and Lance bit back a sour response. Melodias was acting too much like his father and in the wake of his resounding loss that was rubbing Lance the wrong way. He knew he shouldn’t be so bitter about it, Melodias was right, likely Just wanted Lance to be safe and to improve but Lance really wasn’t in the mood for criticism and he'd Never really enjoyed being told off.

Caleb was coming to his rescue and that didn’t make him feel much better, he knew Melodias wanted to say more, didn’t blame him even if he didn’t want to hear it. Lance waved back at his son and joined him in playing with the grass, pulling it out of the ground restlessly with his fingers so he had something to focus on as him and Caleb, plus Galahad, were left alone. “Like your father said, I wasn’t paying attention” Lance murmured and god he was too old to be sulking so why was he doing it now? It was silly but it felt Like the whole world was against him. A baby with a girl he loved but couldn’t be with, one that put his life in jeopardy, not to mention this was the girl he’d decided to move on with and he couldn’t even be open about the girl he was now seeing instead. The news of the pregnancy also made him feel more guilty about seeing Gavin. And he couldn’t even talk to his friends about it, as much as he wanted to, as he wanted a shoulder to cry on and someone to celebrate with at the same time, he had to keep it to himself and just….he was finding it backbreaking.

”I built it up too much. I was too eager to fight him and that’s all I could think about” Lance lied, aware how unconvincing he was being. “I won’t let it happen again, if your dad ever agrees to fight me again. He clearly wasn’t happy with how that fight went” he muttered. “God he sounded like my dad when he was telling me off, maybe it’s just a voice all dads have, that perfect mix of angry, disappointed and looking out for you. Do I sound like that when I talk to Galahad?” Not that Galahad could here or had really done too much to be told off about except run off. He was clearly deflecting though, and Caleb had let him earlier but she might not let him now.

(I know we were talking about her finding out in the future but do you think she should find out now? I’m not sure if Lance should tell her but she clearly knows something is up with him, something that could potentially get him hurt if it continues, do you think she’d try snd find out, maybe take the letter as she knows he reacted weirdly to that? It’s a bit of an invasion of privacy but she might think it’s worth it for the greater good, and then she could connect the dots? Dunno, just a thought, or we can have Lance to continue suffering in his own and almost holding her a bit at arms length because he just can’t tell her everything)

(I imagine if she finds out, She'd freak. I do think she'll try and pry the information from him. But she wouldn't look threw his letters or anything. I could see her also going to Antonio to try and get his help to figure out whats wrong with Lance.
So really, I think Lance would need to let it slip for her to find out. Poor Lance probable could use someone to talk to. )

Lance seemed to almost be pouting. It was a strange sight for Caleb, Yeah, Something must really be wrong with him. He was speaking soon, Giving his excuse and Caleb's expression showed her doubt. He was lying, Caleb wasn't sure why but he was. Thus she went quiet for a moment. "Lance, Is that really the best excuse you can think of? " She tsked. Her gaze moving towards her father. Observing him as he spoke to Ruth. Caleb then said. "He speaks that way because he worries. " Melodias didn't know Lance that well, But he didn't want him hurt. Lance's behavior was dangerous and Melodias wasn't going to let it slip past him.

Caleb then let out a huff. Facing Lance. Eyebrows furrowed. "I don't know whats wrong, But Lance, You can talk to me about it. Was it something in that letter? " She tried. Though she had a feeling such might be a bit fruitless. Caleb's expression then softened. Nudging him. "You've helped me when I needed you. Let me help you. " She urged. Her words were true enough. Lance had always been by her side when she needed him. He was like a brother to her.

Galahad must have also noticed something was up with his father. For the boy was looking up at Lance. Pouting when he saw Lance's expression. Caleb also looked rather worried which didn't help his feelings. But Galahad knew how to help! Standing up. The young boy was soon scurrying a few feet away. Leaving Lance and Caleb for only a moment before he was returning. Holding a small flower and holding it out for Lance. Head tilted to the side.

(Hmm, should he let it slip? I feel like Caleb Might notice his fake enthusiasm about Caroline’s pregnancy and he was talking to her about seeing someone he shouldn’t but it’s still quite a leap to make. What can Lance really say to give himself away without spitting it out?)

Lance had avoided looking at her until she called him out about his lie and he just gazed at her, eyes narrowed slightly in defence. Maybe it wasn’t the best excuse but it was what she was going to get. He got that Melodias was worried but it didn’t stop his words from stinging or Lance feeling like a little kid that’s just been chided. It wouldn’t be his last time getting scolded though, that was for sure.

Caleb, understandably, was asking about the letter. Of course it was something in the letter! “No” he refuted, even as his hand went to check the letter was still safe and sound in his pocket. “Caleb, I love you, you’re like a sister to me but you can’t help me with this” he told her a bit miserably. “Trust me when I say I wish you could but it’s better if you just drop it” he warned. He wanted someone to talk to, he trusted Caleb but she didn’t need this on her plate and the risk was just too big.

Lance watched as Galahad moved away, about to go after him when he came hurrying back with a flower. Lance couldn’t help his smile as he took the offered flower. He signed a ‘thank you’ to him before going to pull his son closer and kiss his head before changing tacts and going to tickle the little boy. He didn’t want Galahad worrying about him. He was too young for that. “Isn’t he sweet?“ he murmured to Caleb fondly. “I’m so glad he’s in my life, I love being his father….” He trailed off, thinking about Caroline of course and her pregnancy. Would she enjoy being a mother?

(Maybe Lance could get drunk or something? He's super stressed over all this and its just building up. Then Caleb confronts him and it all just spills out. I could see Caleb just quickly covering his mouth when and shushing him. Questioning who else knows. Like she'd quickly go into damage control mode. )

Lance's quick responds just worried Caleb more. She didn't understand why he didn't want her help. Did he not trust her? She wasn't sure, Frowning as she stared at him. He wanted her to drop the matter. Caleb wrinkled her nose at that. But Lance was soon looking away from her. His focus on Galahad who smiled up at him. The boy soon signed in responds 'Your welcome. ' Seeming pleased with Lance's smile. Caleb let her gaze move to Galahad. He spoke of loving being his father, And for some reason that made Caleb fret even more. Maybe Lance was sick? Was that why he couldn't tell Caleb? He better not be sick!

Caleb was just about to speak. To further question Lance. To voice her frustration with him. But she quieted when she heard the sound of hooves. The sound caused her to frown. Was Agravain returning? Except no, Caleb soon caught the source of the sound. A horse was headed there way, A man, Likely a servant riding it. Caleb thus was soon getting up to go and greet the man. A task that wasn't the easiest but she managed as the horse slowed to a stop.

The servant then was speaking up. "I've a message from Lady Gavin to Sir Agravain. " The servant was announcing. Causing Caleb to wave her hand. Saying. "I'm Agravain's wife, Whats the message? " She wasn't sure if the servant would share with her. But it didn't seem to be a secret luckily. For the servant quickly said. "She wanted him to know Lady Morgan has gone into labor. " He explained. The news causing Caleb to tense. Caleb supposed she wasn't surprised by such. Agravain and Gavin might be at odds as of lately. But they both mutually hated their mother. Knew her having this baby would be trouble. Likely wanted to keep Agravain aware of what was going on.
Caleb thus nodded to the servant. Saying. "I'll make sure he hears. " She said, Dismissing the servant before glancing towards Lance. Melodias had also approached by now. It might take a bit of time before Agravain got the news. Caleb wasn't completely sure where he and Chris had gone off to. Maybe they had gone to town? That seemed a good bet. It could be late tonight before he returned. Thus Caleb then said. "I'm going to go to town and see if I can find him." This was his little sibling after all.

(I feel like she has to find out now. Lance will be moping so is just drinking way too much and just lets it slip. He’ll feel bad as well since he scolded Caroline for telling other people)

Lance knew his answers weren’t what Caleb wanted to hear but luckily she didn’t have the chance to get too frustrated with him as they were being interrupted. He frowned at t mention of Gavin, although couldn’t help perking up either. She didn’t really talk to Agravain civilly nowadays as far as he was aware, but the news about their mother trumped all he guessed. Caleb figured that Agravain hated Morgan but Lance was not as convinced. He knew they had not had a good childhood but he’d heard of Agravain talking to his mother far more than he would’ve liked.

Lance stood up too “I’ll join” he offered, they had no idea where Agravain was and two people searching was better than one. Going to town might not prove very fruitful though as Agravain, Gaheris and Chris had set off to the woods to try and find the cabin. Still, maybe someone had passed them on their way? This might lead to some awkward questions for Agravain though like: what was he doing out there? And why was he hiding it from her? Lance imagined the palace was a bit chaotic with this rather unwanted baby arriving and with the Queen’s own recent child, the preparations for the upcoming masquerade ball and also the news of Caroline’s pregnancy for if Lance had received a letter then so surely had the king.

(I feel our timescales are wild. It took ages for the Queen to have a baby, Morgan not so long. The trip to and back from Silas’ kingdom definitely varied too. I know obviously it’s ridiculous to try and keep a timescale but it’s just sort of funny, Arthur was meant to sort of be back just after Morgan’s labour I guess and he’s been there about a month and now he has a baby! Maybe that can be what truly sets him off the deep end, he’ll get a letter explaining the baby has been born snd the realisation will set in and what has up til now been recreational drinking, will turn into A nasty habit.
also I wanna see Chris and Morgan interact, I remember you writing that she seemed almost scared of him and I wanna delve into that! So many Mysteries!)

(Oof, I can see Caleb walking in on him drinking. Him being really drunk and sad and her just snatching the bottle away from him and asking questions.
I know, Lol, I just had this realization, Caleb is supposed to be close to having her kid. Morgan got pregnant first I think. Probable oughta have her have the baby. Whoops. I can imagine Arthur freaking out as soon as he receives the letter.
How much time do you think has passed since the rp initially started? Maybe a year or so?
Haha, Morgan def is wary of him. Why shall remain hidden for now. ;) )

Caleb paused, Lance seemed eager to help. But Caleb still couldn't help her worry for him. Still, She gave a nod. Ruth was then speaking up. "I can watch Galahad for you. " She promised. She liked the boy. Would keep him out of trouble. Seemed things were set. Caleb thus gave Ruth a nod before looking to Lance. Saying gently. "They're probable in town. I imagine it won't take to long to find him. People tend to remember Agravain when he walks past them. " She mused, He was a big guy. Had a attitude as well. Someone in town could point them in the right direction. Thus Caleb began leading the way towards the stable.

It had been a while since she was able to leave home. The news of Morgan having her child made things tense. But Caleb tried to rid herself of such thoughts. There wasn't much any of them could really do. Caleb imagined the whole castle was hoping the child would be a girl. They could hope, Right? It didn't take Caleb to long to get her horse. Grunting as she pulled herself up onto it and looking towards Lance. "C'mon. Lets go find him. " She urged.

(Yeah that’s a good idea, or if not the knights all go out to celebrate and Lance is just in the corner drinking his sorrows away. it’ll be good for him to have someone to talk to though.
Yeah I think that’s right but it’d hard to keep track. Oh man, I try not to think how much time has likely meant to have passed when really we’ve probably shown about 5 days!)

Galahad had someone to look after him which was a relief because who knows what trouble Agravain was up to. Agravain was very noticeable so hopefully they wouldn’t have too much trouble but it’d take them a little while to get to town and Agravain and the others could have made it to the cabin by then. Lance was not overly pleased at Morgan going into labour. Hey, maybe she wouldn’t survive! Obviously a horrible thought but he bet the king wouldn't mind it much, Arthur might take it a lot harder though.

Lance nodded and joined Caleb, swinging up onto his horse once he’d retrieved it and kicking it into action. He guessed at least this was a bit of excitement for Caleb, she seemed bored stiff otherwise and watching them spar was likely making her itch to do so herself even more. “Do you have any idea where he’s gone?” Lance asked. Agravain hadn’t told her his plans, not really, just that he was going out but previously hanging out with Chris he’d said they were going to town. The only other place she might expect him to be was the palace but then the messenger wouldn’t have had to come here to find him.

Agravain maybe wouldn’t make it even far since he didn’t have to corral both Chris and his brother. Gaheris was being quiet, not necessarily a good thing, likely just assessing the situation to see if things would go south. Agravain hadnt shouted st him yet though which was a good start and he was curious about Loth, less pleased about Chris tagging along but he’d bitten his tongue on that so far which was definitely an improvement in his behaviour. “He said to head east and look for a waterfall” Agravain reminded Chris, that shouldn’t be too difficult, the sound of the waterfall would probably hit them before the sight and then they just had to make it into the cabin without any possible traps killing them. Gaheris better do as he was told otherwise he might have another injured brother to take care of.

Last edited:
(Yeah, Caleb will def scold him for it. But also try and help him keep things secret. She's gonna be so disappointed though when she finds out he's been with Gavin lately.
Lol, Yeah. Its been going on for a while! Like, I think we started roleplaying Arthur and them in like 2017? How long have we been roleplaying together in general? )

It didn't take long before Lance and Caleb were set out looking for Agravain. Except, Where to search was a difficult matter. "My best guess is town, I know they've hung out there before. " She could recall the items Agravain had brought home before. It seemed reasonable to guess he'd be around the same area. But it was hard to say. Caleb then said. "I doubt they've gone hunting or anything like that, Chris never seemed the type to enjoy such. But... Agravain does tend to drag him around. " Thus it was entirely possible Agravain had dragged Chris into the woods.

Truthfully that wasn't to far off! Agravain had certainly dragged Chris into the woods. The entire situation having a way of keeping Chris tense. It didn't help that Gaheris had tagged along. Adding to the awkwardness in the air. Chris couldn't help but frown at Agravain's words. Murmuring. "Are you sure we shouldn't get some sort of help? This... Who knows what Loth left out here. " Loth was a dangerous man. Knew how to keep things secret. It was entirely possible traps were around.

But Chris knew this was a losing argument. It was one he'd tried to have before only to be quickly shut down. Agravain didn't want others involved. Thus there was little Chris could do. Sighing. His gaze then moved towards Gaheris. Briefly wondering if he would take his side, But he quickly decided to rid himself of those thoughts. Yeah no. From what he knew of Gaheris he was just as stubborn as his brother. Besides, It seemed they were not so far from their destination. Pausing. Chris soon took note of the sound of running water. It wasn't the rush of a waterfall. But it sounded like a river was perhaps near. Such would no doubt eventually lead to the waterfall they were searching for. Briefly Chris considered not saying anything. But well, He figured Agravain would notice soon enough so he spoke up. "I can hear water that way. " He murmured.

(Its just bad decision after bad decision with Lance. I can also see her knowing he’s going to feel tortured when Caroline comes back and he can’t really spend much time with her or the baby.

Oh goodness, when we time skipped forwards with Charles and Mara it was early 2016 ish I’d say so gotta be at least 2015, maybe 2014? 2014 rings a bell for some reason but I’m not sure exactly, it’s always a surprise how much time has passed, could be 2012 for all I know!)

Ah yes, Chris. Agravain was not alone and Lance might have to interact with Chris. It wasn’t a problem with him, it was Chris who was disgruntled and refusing to interact with him. “He’s been spending a lot of time with Agravain recently hasn’t he?” Lance said, testing the waters a little. “I feel like I never see him anymore” because he didn’t and with reason. “At least he sort of has Agravain as a friend though” and even if that didn’t really please Lance too much.

Help? Why on Earth would they need help? “I brought Gaheris along” Agravain grumbled, that was already one more knight on the case, they didn’t need any more to get involved. It was quite a peaceful ride really, especially for Agravain who didn’t much care about the tension in the air. The sound of running water was a signal that they were on the right tracks and Agravain gave Chris some backhanded praise “so you are useful for something” he mused and went to head towards the river they could hear. Surely the cabin couldn’t be much further away now could it?

“Okay, I get investigating Loth, there’s a lot about him that we don’t know” Gaheris spoke up, their father was a father bug mystery. “But what i don’t get is why Chris?” Gaheris made a bit of a face, not overly cruel for once but instead confused, the two didn’t match up and he wasn’t aware of Chris being a great friend of Agravain’s. Agravain glanced at Chris, he hadn’t told Gaheris his plans on cleaning house, just that he’d like to know Loth’s secrets, nor had he repeated what Morgan had told him about Loth having been a slave. “He was available at the time” Agravain said, keeping his eyes on Chris. “Besides, I needed a damsel in distress to my shining knight” he added, Chris did look uncomfortable and slightly in need of rescue after all. Gaheris frowned at the reasoning, surely there had been someone else, someone better, available!

Last edited:
(I can imagine Lance being super protective over the baby. Like yeah, He knows he probable should keep a distance from them. But like, I doubt he'll be able to.
oof, We've been playing together for a long time. Gosh, If we started in 2014 I would have been like 14 or 15 at the time. )

Lance seemed curious about Agravain's relationship with Chris. Causing Caleb to raise her eyebrow and glance towards Lance. "I'm truthfully just glad Agravain is being somewhat friendly with someone. " Agravain had few friends. Didn't seem to want any. He only ever seemed to be kind towards her and his siblings. He seemed to like Ruth as well from the little they had interacted. Maybe it was due to them both sharing the same taste in women. Caleb then mused. "I know you and Chris don't seem to... Get along. But Chris is a good guy, He just.. I think he gets to wrapped up in his own anxieties. " She found herself saying. He had a tendency to act rather nervous. Specifically around Agravain. But he also showed it when fighting and well, During other moments. But Chris had other things going on with him as well. That crush came to mind. They'd need to make sure he was careful next time he drank. Caleb did not want him spilling any of his secrets to anyone else.

--

Chris couldn't help but roll his eyes a little at Agravain's words. Yeah, Because Gaheris was so much backup. But atleast Agravain listened to something he said, The small group soon was making there way towards the water. Soon, Chris could see the slight shimmer of water in the distance. Slowing down as they finally reached the source. A small river. Gaheris continued to talk and well. Gaheris didn't blame him for his questions. Chris didn't exactly want to be here himself. Agravain's words though caused a certain redness to appear in his cheeks. D*mn that man. Lifting his hand he wiped his face before dismounting his horse. Allowing it to step closer and take a drink. Chris then began looking along the river. Soon saying. "I think I can see the waterfall over that way. We probable should leave the horses here in case there are traps around. " It would be easier to keep a eye on the ground if they stayed on foot.

Chris then glanced back towards the others. Agravain would no doubt soon be marching that way on a war path. But, Chris then said. "When we find the cabin, Gaheris, Perhaps you should search around outside while me and Agravain search the building? " Chris began, His words had a reason. Whatever they found on Loth, It might be best for Gaheris not to know about. He was young. Chris didn't think he needed to know all the gritty details. But, It was hard to think up a good excuse to keep him outside. Besides, In the end, Agravain had the final say on such matters. But Chris soon expressed. "Its possible Loth buried people around here. You might be able to find evidence of that. " That felt like a slightly better excuse. Not by much though.

(Yeah, he’s going to volunteer to guard them whenever he can and I imagine it’ll be hard for Caroline too since he’ll be hanging around but they won’t really be able to enjoy having a baby together.

yeah it mustve been at least 2014. Same! Crazy to think that’s almost a decade, over third of my life!)

It was admittedly good for Agravain to have….maybe not friends but allies, or well Chris was more like an unwilling accomplice. He was far more solitary than his wife but she‘d managed to soften him at least a little so maybe he’d end up being friendly? Okay maybe not but they might at least land on civil. Lance frowned as Caleb continued. “I don’t dislike him” he insisted. “The only reason we don’t get along is because Chris has taken offence to my help” he explained which was true if not quite fully explanatory. “I bear him no ill will even if he now seems eager to avoid my presence” yeah it was totally all Chris’ fault.

Agrvain dismounted and peered into the distance, putting a hand to his brow to shield his eyes from the sun. Chris was being sensible, which whilst was usually annoying was now actuslly helpful and then he was even looking out for Gaheris which made Agravain glance at him surprise but admitted,t he was grateful for it. He squinted at his brother who had yet to dismount his horse and didn’t look too pleased ar being relegated to the outside. “I need you to guard our backs” Agravain agreed. “If something goes wrong then I’m trusting you to get help” It was a lot of responsibility and a convenient excuse which actuslly seemed to work for Gaheris was soon nodding and climbing down off his horse.

“come on, let’s go whilst the day is young” Agravain urged and started the trek on foot to the waterfall and cabin. He was….he didn’t want to say nervous but at least wary about what they might find. It might be bare or it might be full of blood and bones, one could never tell with their father but Agravain hoped there was something which she’d some light on Loth’s character, the children he’d been training/torturing or on his friends. He did not want to walk away empty handed front his because then where would they go? Tell you what,ma diary or journal or something would be really helpful. “Let’s hope you don’t have to put that new mace to use” Agravain commented fo Chris. He enjoyed a fight but now wasn’t the time or place.”have you practiced with it much?” He found himself asking, not usually one for small talk but he was certainly closer to Chris than he’d used to be. He knew a Chris was hesitant since he’d hurt someone in training but Agravain had encourage him to practice to prevent a repeat incident. It was easier to practice when you had someone to spar with though.

(Aw, I like to imagine Arthur's going to do his best to make sure Lance gets to spend time with his kid.
Oh goodness. Who do you think has been your favorite characters from our roleplays? Of yours, I think the other thread, Johann was my favorite. While here? I really enjoy Arthur.
Of my own? Silas and Caleb are pretty much tied I think. Other thread? I really liked Victor. I enjoy playing dragon themed characters. )

Lance seemed to be trying to defend him and Chris being distant. But Caleb was not so eager to agree with Lance. She knew when things had gotten mostly out of hand between the two. Could connect some dots. But that wasn't the only issue. Lance sometimes spoke to Chris in a way that well... Seemed like he was speaking to a child. Caleb wasn't that surprised Chris found it frustrating. Thus Caleb said. "Lance, If he took offence. Perhaps maybe you should apologize and explain that wasn't your intention? " Caleb wasn't so sure if Lance would jump to do such. But it couldn't hurt. Would perhaps mend some bridges between them.

---

Agravain this time didn't seem eager to argue. Seemed to agree with Chris. Luckily Gaheris was convinced easily enough and thus the small group was beginning to make there way along. The closer they got, The more Chris could tell they were going in the right direction. The waterfall soon became clearer and clearer. But his gaze then flickered towards Agravain at the question. Moving his hand to the weapon at his hip. "Some, It... I prefer it much more over a normal sword. " He liked the feel of it, A classic sword just had never really fit him. Though he figured a blade would be more fitting for a knight. Chris soon was quieting down. Though there was not much use talking anyway. They had finally reached the waterfall and the sound of it was heavy. No wonder Loth had picked such a place. This near. It wasn't hard to spot the cabin. Hid a bit closer to the treeline on the other side of the river.

Chris couldn't help but huff, Well. Seemed they'd be getting there feet wet. Thus Chris tsked. Glancing around for a spot that did not look at deep to cross. Eventually walking along. He found a small spot. The water was still a bit deep, But It would probable only go up to their waist. Not nearly as bad as other parts of the river. Chris still found himself hesitating for a moment. A bad feeling twisting its way in his gut. Things felt quiet. Sure, The place was likely abandoned. But Chris would have thought they'd have encountered more dangers by now. Still, Chris shook off the fears. They should simply be pleased with their luck so far.

So, Chris began making his way across the river. Huffing as he walked. "Couldn't your dad have built a bridge or something? My shoes are going to be soaked. " He complained. Glancing back towards Agravain and Gaheris. "I hope you plan t- " His words were soon cut off by a loud yelp as he felt a sudden wave of pain. Frantically attempting to pull away. Chris turned his gaze to the water. Wishing for a moment it had been clearer so he could properly see what was happening. But it only took him a moment after the initial panic to realize- Seemed Loth had decided to toss a trap in the water. How kind of him. Chris cursed. Reaching down to try and free his foot. But it wasn't the easiest. Chris soon then was looking towards Agravain. Wincing "I- I think its a bear trap." Chris could already tell the device was somehow tied into the ground. How had Loth even set this up? Perhaps he'd done it during a dry season when the water was not as deep? Whatever the case. Chris didn't like it and was perhaps struggling not to panic. His eyes wide.

(I really loved Johann and Victor too, their whole dynamic was really interesting as well as their relationships with other people too like Lucy and Ellie.
We clearly have similar taste as I like Silas too and I’m glad you like Arthur. I feel like I struggle a bit to make more than one ‘good’ character. Like Arthur tries to be very morally good and caring and kind, and I feel like Lance should be somewhat the same way as he’s a knight, he should be chivalrous And good although I do feel he’s slightly different from Arthur, it’s hard to articulate maybe exactly why, yet it’s hard to know how to make another ‘good’ character that isn’t just the same as them. Like Percival for example, I’m not entirely sure how to make him that much different from Arthur or Lance. He’s meant to be somewhat naive, but then that’s similar to Arthur and I think I struggle to make some characters distinct. But also the more they appear, the better feel I get for them)

Caleb was not jumping to be on Lance’s side and his mouth parted in slight shock as she suggested he apologise. He was trying to be helpful! Chris was the one being rude and ungrateful and…okay maybe he’d upset Chris a bit and he could understand how he’d be defensive and it’s not like he really knew Lance that well to know his intentions were not mean. He sighed. “How can I apologise if he won’t even be in the same room as me?” Lance pointed out. “And I feel he owes me an apology too” he added a bit sulkily but he knew that was unlikely to happen and Caleb would probably roll her eyes at him or something.

The long awaited cabin was soon in sight and Agravain had to restrain himself from picking up the pace, he wasn’t an excitable teenager, no, he’d approach it calmly and carefully. Chris was the first one making a move though and going to cross the river as Agravain watched on in scrutiny. Going into the river would get them soaked and Caleb would surely question them if they went back dripping wet so it might be worth removing their garment to cross, Chris didn’t seem to agree, to maybe even think of it. Agravain found himself glancing at the sun, in this weather he reckoned they might be okay as they would likely dry quickly. His attention snapped back to the river though as Chris hit trouble.

Snared by a bear trap? Why of course, this was Loth’s cabin after all! “Mmm, now I understand why you brought Chris along” Gaheris chimed in unhelpfully and Agravain gave his brother a brief glare before he went into the river to help Chris out. To be fair he had mused that prospect himself, that Chris would be good in case there were traps but that didn’t really mean that he wanted Chris to end up in them, he’d prefer no one did, it would certainly cause less suspicion from Caleb if they came back without injuries.

Agravain made sure to follow Chris’ path as they knew that to be clear until obviously the point where he’d set off the trap. ”Stay still” Agravain told him and went to grab Chris’ leg with one hand so he could feel his way to the trap. A big hand was soon sliding down Chris’ leg until it hit metal and he set about finding the release mechanism by feel alone. To do so meant he had to crouch in the river so he’d be especially soaked but they could hardly just leave him there. Luckily for Chris, Agravain was no stranger to bear traps and could probably disarm one blindfolded - he hadn’t exactly bonded much with his father when he’d been younger but one activity they had done together fairly often was hunt. A metallic click and soon the trap was realising. “Can you walk?” He asked Chris, it wouldn’t really slow Agravain down but Chris seemed more fragile in his opinion. He’d have to carry him if not. It wasn’t too far to the other side of the river but that might not be the only trap. Agravain was unsheathing his sword and going to prod the ground before them to set off any other traps which might be lurking. Yeah they were not turning back now.

(Yeah, Victor and Johann always seemed to have a complicated relationship. It was fun!
I get what you mean, I've noticed I tend to like playing sassy characters. Ruth and Gareth for example have very similar personalities. Normally it takes me a while to get a feel for any character tho. Like I kinda just start out with a vague idea of what I want. And then it just progresses from there. )

For some reason, It took Chris a bit by surprise when he glanced towards Agravain, Only to see him making his way towards him. For some reason, He had expected Agravain to take his time. But Agravain was soon next to him. Luckily Agravain seemed to know what to do. Chris thus was quick to obey him. Nodding his head and attempting not to move. Though he couldn't help but wince. Then, With a click. The device was released and while Chris was still in pain. He was atleast no longer trapped. Agravain was soon questioning him and Chris gave a nod. Murmuring. "I-I think, I don't think its broken. " They'd need to bandage the wound. But Chris didn't think any bones were broken! So that was good.

Agravain then was leading the way. Was perhaps smarter with the way he went forward. His blade managing to set off one more trap before the two were reaching the other side. Chris hobbling a bit away from the river and flopping down on the ground as to take a better look at the wound. Soon tensing at the sight. It was bleeding heavily. But Chris supposed the damage could have been worse. They'd need to clean the wound well when they got back home.

Briefly Chris glanced towards Agravain. Murmuring softly. "Thank you. " Before his gaze fell to the wound. Tsking, He then shouted towards Gaheris. "Theres some bandages in my pack with the horses. Can you fetch them? " Gaheris hopefully could just toss the bandages over. Before then moving his hand over the wound to try and temporarily deal with the bleeding. Wincing again. He then grunted. "Loth really loved his traps, Didn't he? " To be fair, They had gone in knowing the place probable had some. Should expect more inside. Chris thus then said. "Once I get this wrapped we can try to get inside. "

(I love a fun dynamic though which I feel like Arthur and Silas have, it’s a nice mixture of drama, cheeky and sweet.
we’ll need Arthur, Silas, Caroline And that to have a ball soon so that I can introduce this assassin girl. I’ve got an idea of what she’ll be like but its always different when actually writing them. Still not set on A name though although I feel I already know what I’d call their child.
And speaking of children, at one point I was gonna suggest that Gavin find out she was pregnant just before or not long after Lance’s incident with Gaheris but I feel like that might be too many children for Lance, although he probably deserves even more, and obviously she’s not comfortable with that sort of intimacy)

All things considered, Chris was reacting rather calmly to the situation, he wasn’t screaming or crying and seemed to be coping quite well, although that might be shock, but Chris was a knight, they were tough and not unused to pain. Soon they were on the other side and safe for the moment at least. Not only that but Chris had come prepared with bandages and Gaheris was soon setting off at a jog back to the horses to fetch the bandages and the two were left alone. Were it not for Chris’ provisions then they might’ve had to use a shirt.

Agravain waved off Chris’ thanks with an impatient had and hunkered down next to him to get a good look at his leg. “Yes, that wont be the only one in store for us” Agravain agreed. The wound was nasty and the amount of blood coming out of it wasn’t little, Chris might feel a bit faint after this. Yeah best for him to stick by Agravain so he didn’t faint and fall into a trap. “Why don’t I take the lead? I know Loth slightly better than you and might be able to predict some traps” he suggested. “And if Caleb asks? We were hunting” Agravain stood up as Gaheris came back into sight and caught the tossed bandages. “Cross the river at exactly the same point” Agravain instructed, gesturing at the path they had cleared before crouching back down to bandage up Chris.

Agravain kept one eye on Gaheris as he crossed and the boy made it across just as Agravain finished the dressing. He stood up and offered a hand to Chris to help him up. “Let’s try and avoid any more injuries” he suggested going to move closer towards the cabin, making Sure his footing wasn’t hurried and avoiding patches of ground hidden by long grass or leaves. Any unsure areas were tested with his sword before hand. Goodness knows what they’d find inside but soon Agravain was at the door and going to push the door open, careful to stand to the side of it in case anything shot out and so He could assess what was inside before entering.

(Agreed! Once we finish off with Agravain, Then we oughta switch over to them. Maybe we can play them as preparing for the ball?
I actually really like that idea, Like especially if it happens just before everything with Gaheris goes down? Like I could see Lance proposing when he finds out she's pregnant. And like him having this moment of thinking everything is gonna work out. He's finally going to be able to be in his kids life and raise them with there mother. Then BAM Gaheris and him fight. Just make everything even more tragic. )

Gaheris luckily didn't argue and was soon fetching medical supplies. While Agravain scanned the injury. Truthfully Chris had expected harsher words. But this was bound to happen. Loth even in death was a pain to deal with. Chris thus gave a nod as Agravain spoke. Clenching his teeth as Agravain dealt with the injury. But he managed to keep any noise down to a slight hiss. Eventually he was patched up well enough and it seemed it was time to move on. Gratefully Chris took Agravain's hand and was on his feet. Thus they were making there way towards the cabin. The building was old, Glancing around. Chris figured no one had been to the place in some time. Though his gaze snapped forward to Agravain when he opened the door. As soon as the door opened another trap triggered, What looked to be a crossbow bolt flew threw the air. Embedding itself in a nearby tree. Agravain was smart enough to keep away from the doorway though.

Glancing in, Chris soon caught sight of the trap responsible. Tsking before he limped after Agravain insider. Glancing around, The cabin wasn't very large. With only two rooms. So far the place seemed fairly bare. Little remained besides a few dusty worthless items scattered around. Chris for a moment thought the entire trip might have been a bust. But then why would Loth put any security around here if nothing was left? Maybe just to be spiteful. Limping forward, Chris kneeled down to take a better look at what looked to be a broken arrow on the floor. Only to pause.

Chris's eyes narrowed, A carpet laid on the floor and Chris couldn't help but recall a scene in a novel he had read some time ago. He couldn't help but blush a bit as he recalled other details of the novel but soon shook his head. Deciding to test his theory, He limped closer and moved the carpet. Soon grinning. Success. Thus he said to Agravain. "I got something over here. " A trap door. No doubt leading down to a cellar. If they were going to find anything here, It would be down there.

(Yeah sounds like a good idea and Arthur can get a bit too drunk at the ball as well and decide to make some bad decisions I reckon.
oh can we really be that mean to Gavin though? Having a kid with someone she’s gonna end up hating. How would she cope with that? Would she even want to be around the baby? And would she even let Lance see it. He killed her brother, betrayed her trust, is she really going to just hand over a baby to him even if it is his. Plus it’s got to be horrible for her to recover and to feel comfortable enough to be that intimate with someone and then decide she can’t trust them. Agravain would totally flip and be torn over whether to be distant to them or not. And Lance would be such a hypocrite for turning around to Caleb and saying she’d maybe having too many children. I don’t know if it’s a good idea or not, I like the drama, but is it too much? I mean Lance is definitely irresponsible in that sense but four children out of wedlock, 3 so close together? He’d definitely have annoyed fate somehow)

Gaheris was well enough behaved to Hang back at a distance and not follow them to the door. Agravain did not want his little brother getting caught In a trap. And it seemed Agravain had good instincts, compounded by the cross-bolt whizzing out of the door. Agravain scanned the half of the room that Chris wasn’t in, looking over the dust filled cabin for well….he didn’t really know just figured once he saw it that it’d be obvious. It seemed Chris was the detective though and Agravain moved over at the call. A trap door. “Sly b*stard” Agravain muttered and reached down to heft open the trap door.

“we should get some light” Agravain reasoned. It wasn’t wise to traipse down there in the dark, who knew what horrors awaited them. So, he turned back to the part of the cabin he’d been scanning and went to pick up the lantern he’d spotted and worked on lighting it before going back to the trap door. “I doubt we’re going to come across racks of wine,” he warned which was fairly obvious but well, Agravain was expecting grim things. He’d be surprised if there weren’t human remains down there and he wasn’t sure if Chris had really prepared himself for what they might find.

Agravain gave a decisive nod before going to enter the cellar, again being careful not to trigger any traps but by this stage he figured the room itself would be more trap than anything Loth could put in it. The fact was that anyone trespassing here would find themselves at the mercy of a killing machine and if they We’re being truthful, Loth didn’t have any mercy. The traps around The outside were more a warning than anything else, they were far kinder than anything Loth might’ve done when he got his hands on interlopers. So, Agravain desdeneded into the cellar figuring It was likely to be more of a dungeon.

(Yeah, I get whatcha mean. Honestly, I hope Lance gets some sort of happy ending eventually. Tho that might be difficult.
I feel like Gavin would do her best not to let Lance near the kid if she had one. Unless she was forced to allow him access to them. Because she'd 100% be convinced he'd hurt them somehow.
We could also always change things a bit around, If Gavin witnessed the fight with Gaheris, She'd know Lance wouldn't have a choice. I could see Gaheris getting mad enough to try and attack Lance over Gavin and him being together. Just a option if we wanted to do a bit more of a happier thing between them. Though I also really like the idea of Gavin thinking Lance had betrayed her. So I dunno. )

Agravain was soon at Chris's side, Pulling the trap door open. Chris couldn't help but cough a bit as the dust was a bit unsettled. Down below things were pitch black. But Agravain was soon getting a remedy for that. Swallowing, Chris nodded back towards Agravain. Watching the man begin to descend down before he joined him. Was it just him or did it feel cold down here? Chris wasn't sure, But it was a eerie feeling. Soon. His feet reached the floor. Chris then was scanning around. Eyes narrowed in the dim light. But already he felt sick. He could see, Built into the floor was multiple chains. Cuffs at the end, No doubt used in the past to keep something, Or someone trapped down. Multiple sets he noted.

The floor he noted was marred with dark stains, Chris didn't know what such had come from. But he did his best to ignore it. Instead he further looked around. Soon noting a table against the other end of the room. The contents on top of it being enough to make Chris queasy. But he managed to keep the contents of his stomach down as he approached. A corpse, Left behind who knows how long ago. It was long since decayed. Thus one couldn't make out much from the remains. But Chris assumed the body had belonged to a adult or a teenager.

Shaking his head, Chris tried not to look at the body. Instead, his eyes went to scattered papers near the body. It was a bit hard for Chris to make out the handwriting. It was a bit messy. More like quick notes jotted down. But eventually he found one with a bit more detailing on it.
"She betrayed me, The others say this entire project has been a failure. But I don't think so, Because even after I see myself in her. She tried to rid herself of the blood staining her hands. I've done the same in the past. Sir Martin is a fool. He thinks we should let her die from her wounds. I disagree, But I suppose we'll just have to see if she pulls threw or not. "
Chris frowned, Passing the note to Agravain as he continued searching threw them. Only finding one other with anything of interest.
" Recently my wife had another child. I've considered seeing how he'd fair in comparison to the others. A interesting thought. " Chris frowned, once more passing the note to Agravain. No dates existed on the paper. Thus it was hard to say what child of Morgan's it was referring to. It could have been Agravain, Gaheris, Or even Gareth Chris figured. But who knows. Chris then stepped away from the table. Moving towards another nearby. Items rested on it table, Rusted and all cruel looking. Likely used for torture, But it was hard to say. A thick layer of dust covered much of everything. No one had been here in sometime. So whatever work Loth had been doing, Well, Chris had to imagine it was abandoned by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back