• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom I Only Need Memories Of You

Why did she have to be such a scardy cat? Ever since she was little, the smallest things would freak Emi out. A bug crawling out from under something, to someone just sneaking up behind her. Everything caused her to jump, she couldn't even watch a scary movie unless she had the lights on and someone was going to be spending the night with her. She was such a scardy car, and she hated it.

Clenching her hands into fists, she raised her gaze as she looked up at Sumu. Her eyes were wide as she tried to hold back the waterworks from being spooked. She hated sudden loud noises the most. "I'm okay." She murmured as the tall setter came out of the classroom. Her hands raised to gently grasp onto his wrists. Not pulling him closer or pushing him away, just making contact as she looked up into his chocolate-colored eyes. "I'm okay," Emi repeated, her voice quiet as she gazed up at him. Feeling a bit better after repeating the same words over and over to him. It was a bit calming just being close to him, as well as saying those words out loud.

A soft laugh escaped from Emi as Sumu ruffled her hair. Bringing a small smile to the petite girl's lips. "Yeah, we're taking a while to finish aren't we?" Emi said as she walked into the classroom. Her bright blue eyes took in the already pretty clean room. They really didn't need to do much more to it.

Stepping forward, Emi was going to walk towards the other side of the classroom to see if they needed to do anything but was stopped as she felt Sumu tugging her back to him. Her eyes widened as she found herself wrapping her arms around him once more. Her instant response was to relax in his hold. "Yeah," Emi murmured quietly as she hugged Sumu a little bit tighter. "Especially because my pretty face is the best thing about me," Emi added on, her gaze slowly flickering up towards the older boy's gaze. "Thanks, protecter Sumu."

----

Practice games were just that, they were practice. It was a good way for everyone to find out what their strengths and weaknesses for the year were. It was designed for improvement and refinement. They were the number three school in Japan for volleyball, they were some of the best high school players. Some scouted from other prefectures to come play here. They were a pick above the rest. They were destined to play in nationals and achieve one of the top spots. They were supposed to be that good, and more often than not. They were that good.

Observing, that was one of Shinsuke's best skills. Observing others and paying attention to every little detail. The routine was one of the things he excelled at. Making mental notes on how his teammates were fairing during practice as well as in games. It was his job to lead them this year, and he did not want to fail. He wanted to prove that he deserved the jersey that he had received.

"Nice serve," Shinsuke said as he looked towards Heisuke. Giving the first-year praise, knowing that the kid deserved the praise. Then his unreadable look turned towards Osamu as Shinsuke criticized him. "Osamu-san. You should at least attempt to make sure that a ball is out instead of ignoring it." Shinsuke said, which seemed to cause the grey-haired twin to jump as the captain easily found him out. Shinsuke's words seem to have hit a sore spot with the second year. "In a real match, that point could have decided a game." The second year slowly nodded, seeming to catch on that the captain had caught him slacking. Shinsuke could tell that the second year was off his game today though, so he chose to not push it any further and instead focused on the rest of the match.

The game went on for a little while longer, the endurance of everyone seemed to be high today as neither team wanted to give up any more points once Shinsuke spoke. They were acting like it was a real match now. Suna was on the verge of slacking off, but once he heard Osamu being chastised, it was like the middle blocker was kicked back into gear. Heisuke was in good form, so his serves were pretty good although they were starting to waver since he was getting tired. The other team seemed to be doing pretty good as well. Aran's spikes seemed to have gotten stronger and the others seemed to be in good form as well. Alas, as the game ended with Shinsuke's team losing once the other team got into a grove, it proved how well a bit of encouragement and criticism can go.

Clapping his game, Shinsuke looked at his teammates and those on the other side of the net as he gave them a small clap. "Good game," Shinsuke said as he watched everyone seem to collapse once more. Exhausted because they were giving it their all.

Atsumu felt his cheeks instantly flush at Emi's teasing quip about her "pretty face" being her best asset. He quickly averted his gaze, clearing his throat awkwardly as she looked up at him with those big blue eyes. He didn't know why but why did his face feel warmer in the past hour or so? Could he be catching a cold...? Or maybe he was catching feelings for his childhood friend? He exhaled and cursed the thought that suddenly popped into his mind, akin to an annoying whack-a-mole that he wanted to hit.

"Y-Yeah well, I'd hate to have your pretty face damaged, or else I won't be able to show myself to your mom. Who knows what she'll do to my handsome face?" he stammered out gruffly, trying to crawl out of the hole he dug himself.

As Emi snuggled deeper into his embrace with a mumbled "Thanks, protector Sumu," Atsumu felt his heart skip a beat. He swallowed thickly, painfully aware of how perfectly her petite frame molded against his broad chest. He fought the urge to hug her tightly and never let go—to become the protector that she claimed he is. But he knew he couldn't cross that line, not when their friendship would be the price to pay. Struggling to regain his typical unflappable composure, Atsumu forced out a lame chuckle as he gently pushed Emi an arm's length away, though his hands lingered perhaps a beat too long on her slender shoulders.

"Don't go gettin' all mushy on me now, Shorty," he managed in a strained attempt at his usual snarky tone, silently willing his heated cheeks to cool. He was still crimson-bright. "I might get used to your pretty face looking at me like that."

He punctuated the words with a lopsided smirk, but even Atsumu could hear the lack of genuine mocking bite behind his flippant remark. It wouldn't be so bad to get used with her in his arms, right? He pinched her cheeks, just enough so he would annoy her but not so much as to cause discomfort. She looked too adorable with her innocent eyes and pink lips, making his heart do somersaults inside his chest. Clearing his throat again to pacify his beating heart, he turned away abruptly to grab a mop and dunk it in the bucket with a little more force than necessary. Stealing a sidelong glance at Emi over his shoulder, Atsumu silently prayed she couldn't detect the raging war happening within him at that moment.

"Damn it, let's finish this so I can go back to practice!" he said, burying his feelings deep down with a fired up shout, mopping the clean floor while running. Unfortunately for him, the practice was already done and they were just doing a feedback session for the team's performance.

---

Momoka clutched her notebook tightly as the players dispersed after Kita's acknowledgment, her heart still racing from carefully observing every nuanced movement and decision during the intense practice game. She took a steadying breath, mustering her courage to provide the feedback and observations she had meticulously compiled. Though anxious about addressing the team directly, Momoka felt compelled to convey her insights—if not for their benefit, then certainly to demonstrate her dedication to volleyball.

"U-Um..." she began softly, fidgeting with the pages of her notebook. Several players glanced over curiously, but she froze under their scrutiny. Her cheeks warmed with a fierce blush.

Clearing her throat, she tried again. "I-If I may...I have some notes that could perhaps help refine your performance." Her gaze skated towards Kita involuntarily, drawing fortitude from his stoic presence. Seeming to sense her resolve building, Aran offered an encouraging nod and smile, the gentle gesture bolstering Momoka's confidence. Straightening her shoulders, she flipped open her notebook, poring over the densely scribbled pages.

"Ojiro-san, your spike power was immense today," she began, directing her comments towards the supportive ace. "But I noticed some minor footwork issues in your approach that could potentially improve your court coverage."

Aran accepted the critique readily with a thoughtful hum of acknowledgment. Emboldened, Momoka's tone strengthened as she continued.

"Omimi-san, you have really good timing with your blocks, but try not to strain your knees too much when jumping," she said matter-of-factly which he just acknowledged with a solemn nod.

She then turned to the younger Miya. "Osamu-kun... are you all right? I noticed that there are times you're out of focus."

"That's none of your business, Megane-kun," he said, defiantly whispering the nickname under his breath. His head definitely was somewhere else. He was thinking of Emi, something about today really felt strange that he felt a dull ache in his heart. What was happening to him? Why can't he think of anything else but their shared embrace at the hallway earlier?

Osamu scowled, but Momoka simply raised an expectant brow in a manner she hoped emulated Kita's commanding presence. To her relief, the silver-haired twin subsided into grudging silence and he seemed to consider her words seriously.

"Heisuke-kun, I see that the adjustment I made for your training went good, your serves have gotten more precise especially when you aimed at the lines. Keep up at it, but don't be too overconfident," she commented, earning an earnest nod from the first year.

"And Suna-san, your reaction time on blocking Osamu-kun's attacks is great. Though..." She bit her lip briefly. "A slight adjustment to your hand position may help minimize the strain that the ball's force may have on your fingers."

As Suna offered a lazy shrug but no protest, Momoka felt her spine stiffening, determination rising to properly convey the full breadth of her observations. Momoka couldn't resist directing her final assessment towards their steadfast captain.

"Kita-san..." She felt her cheeks warming again beneath his penetrating stare, but forced herself to meet that intense gaze steadily. "I was particularly impressed by your ability to set the perfect attack lines to maximize your spikers' strengths, but I noticed that sometimes they feel scared of you that's why they're not reciprocating your efforts... because they're afraid. Please try loosening up a bit."

A hushed silence fell as Momoka concluded her earnest analysis. For a beat, she feared overstepping her role—what did a mere manager know compared to Kita? No matter how flustered he made her, no matter the torrential rush of emotions he unleashed within her... she knew that the captain would appreciate her honesty. However, she felt particularly weird... forgetting that today might be the first day of her period and she is currently surrounded with the team whose attention was turned to her.

"U-Umm... I-I... have to..."

How could she excuse herself to run to the bathroom and place a pad? Not with the whole team scrutinizing her every move. She just wanted to be swallowed whole into the depths of the gym due to embarrassment.

Last edited:
Something was changing, Emi couldn't exactly place her finger on what it was but. She could feel it, in her chest. Forcing a small smile, Emi turned away from Atsumu once he had pushed her away from him slightly. Reminding her that they needed to get back to cleaning. Her head nodded in agreement as she felt the strained smile taking its toll on her. "Ah~ Wait til my mom hears you got me detention. She's soo gonna give you an earful next time you come over." Emi teased as she pushed up her invisible sleeves since she wasn't wearing her school blazer.

Then, she took in a deep breath. Ignoring the soreness in her pinched cheeks and got to work on wiping down the desks. Her gaze focused on her work as she wanted to get things done as soon as possible. They had wasted so much time talking, that she wasn't sure if they were going to be making it to practice.

"You put the mop and bucket away, Sumu!" Emi called as she finished wiping down the last desk. Her bright blue eyes took a quick scan over the classroom to make sure she didn't miss anything, and then she was off. "See ya after practice!" Emi called to her friend, leaving him behind as she raced to make it to the last little bit of practice. A small laugh escaping from her as she ran, wanting to get some of her extra energy out.

It just wasn't meant to be. The door to the gym that the girls used was closed and locked. Meaning that the girls' practice was over. A small groan escaped from Emi as she pouted and sat on the step outside of the gym door. Her elbows rested on her knees as she thought about what she wanted to do next. She could see the door to the gym the guys used was open, but she really didn't want to interrupt them. Sure, she had in the past but they had a scarier Captain this year and she'd rather not have his cold eyes analysing her. It was like he was planning to murder her or something.

Groaning, Emi threw her head back and leaned the back of her head against the cold metal door. She would have to wait til the guys finished their practice til she could go home. She could just imagine the guys blowing her phone up because she left without them. They were so damn protective of her, it was kinda cute. That brought a small smile to Emi's lips as she looked up at the slightly cloudy sky. Her friends have certainly turned into two of the most attractive guys she's ever seen.

That last thought brought a small frown to Emi's lips. When did she start thinking of them as attractive?

----

As Matsuda-san cleared her throat, it was obvious to Shinsuke that no one was expecting for the girl to speak. As she hadn't really said much to anyone besides the Coach and himself. She always seemed to be hiding against the wall during practice or running to fill the water bottles. She wasn't much of a social butterfly, not that Shinsuke cared much but he could sense the confusion from the rest of the team as she looked to him and Aran for support as she seemed to find her voice.

Walking slightly off the court, Shinsuke grabbed his towel and used it to wipe off the sweat that was on his neck and on his forehead. Occasionally he'd glanced towards the team as they stood silently and listened to the new manager as she gave some feedback to some of the players. His dark eyes focused on Osamu as he gave her attitude, but he was pleasantly surprised that the younger twin had quickly changed his tune.

Upon hearing his name, Shinsuke shifted his gaze away from the grey-haired Miya and looked back to the pink-haired girl. His dark eyes focused on her as he waited with bated breath for her to rip him apart as she had done for the rest of the team. Although, she said was not something that he had really expected. His expression didn't change as he let her words sink in. Only his head tilted slightly to the side as he didn't really understand what she meant by him being scary. "Oh, okay?" That was all Shinsuke could find himself saying as he tried to figure out what she meant by loosening up a bit. He had stretched quite a bit before practice so he thought that he was quite relaxed already.

To the side, Suna's snickering could be heard as he did his best to hide his laugh. The rest of the team looked around and pretended they heard nothing. Not sure how to react to what the manager had managed to say to the seemingly stoic captain.

Catching on to Matsuda-san's fidgeting and that she didn't have much else to say Shinsuke looked back towards the team. "Let's get changed, it's getting late and I need to lock up the gym." He said, pulling everyone out of whatever headspace they were in and heading to the changing room so they could go home already. Glancing towards Matsuda-san he offered her a small smile and bow. "Thank you for the criticism." He told her before following after the team.

Atsumu grumbled under his breath as he shoved the mop and bucket back into the supply closet with more force than necessary. Stupid detention had made him miss the volleyball practice, which put him in a foul mood.

"Yeah, yeah...see ya later, Shorty," he called out half-heartedly as Emi raced off, seemingly in better spirits now that her detention was over.

Shaking his head, Atsumu couldn't stop the small smirk from tugging at his lips as he watched her blonde pigtails bouncing away down the hallway. Even when she was being a brat, she was pretty damn adorable. As he exited the building, Atsumu's smile faltered slightly when he noticed Emi slumped dejectedly outside the locked gym doors. Her shoulders drooped and head tilted back against the metal in a picture of disappointment and boredom. He felt a surprising pang in his chest at seeing her usual sunny disposition so diminished. Unconsciously adjusting the strap of his bag, Atsumu worried his lower lip as he debated his next move. Should he try to go to his practice or not?

Before he could overthink it, his feet were carrying him straight towards the nearby convenience store instead of the gym. He knew just the thing to bring that bright smile back to his favorite pint-sized friend's face. Twenty minutes later, Atsumu was making his way back across the courtyard, one hand clutching a plastic bag filled with several pints of Emi's favorite ice cream flavor from the store. As he neared the steps where she still sat looking forlorn, he couldn't resist a teasing grin.

"Well, don't you look like a sad little stray puppy out here all alone," he called out, dangling the enticing bag enticingly. "Luckily for you, I happened to grab some provisions for us pitiful stragglers."

Watching Emi's reaction was a deligh, Atsumu felt something warm blossom in his chest. "Here, got all the good stuff, I got Matcha Madness for you and Triple Fudge Massacre for me..." He trailed off with a chuckle as he gave her the bag containing the sugary prizes, the setter felt his grin soften into something more genuine.

"Guess we're stuck out here for a lil' while longer, huh Shorty?" he murmured, settling down on the step beside her to dig into his own treat. "But this ain't so bad...got my two favorite things to keep me company: ice cream and you."

Atsumu fought back the blush threatening to stain his cheeks at his own words. When had he become such a hopelessly shameless flirt around this girl? Clearing his throat, he focused intently on the melting ice cream, silently praying she didn't notice his odd behavior.

Maybe missing practice hadn't been so bad after all...

---

Oh no, not here, not now!

Momoka's face flushed crimson as an unmistakable cramping sensation seized her lower abdomen. Her eyes widened in dawning horror as she realized her monthly period had decided to start at the worst possible moment. She shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot, trying her utmost to maintain her composure as the cramps tightened viciously. Momoka's fingers clenched spasmodically around her notebook, the only thing anchoring her against the rising tide of mortification.

Heisuke was the first one to approach her. "Thank you, Matsuda-senpai. You really helped me a lot, so I'll keep practicing to become better!"

The first-year's earnest praise should have filled her with elation. Instead, Momoka could only manage a sickly half-smile, her mind whirling as she contemplated just how swiftly she could make an exit. Suna's lazy drawl cut through her panicked thoughts. "Something wrong, manager? You look like you're gonna be sick." His sharp eyes raked over her increasingly pained expression with mild concern.

"I...I'm f-fine!" Momoka stammered out, hating the way her voice emerged as a strangled squeak. She straightened her spine, willing herself not to double over as another vicious cramp seized her abdomen.

Just get through this, then she can go deal with...that. But her ovaries had other ideas. Momoka could have sobbed with humiliation as she felt that first telltale gush of warmth spreading between her thighs. Her face drained of color as she realized there was no hiding her situation now.

"Eh? Matsuda-san, what's wrong with you?" Aran asked only compounded her shame. Momoka opened her mouth, desperate to fabricate some excuse, any excuse, to flee from their inquisitive stares. But it was Kita's dark, penetrating gaze that rendered her utterly mute, frozen with mortification. She pleaded silently, fresh crimson staining her cheeks as she averted her gaze from the captain's scrutiny. She was praying to every deity to please don't let him see her like this, her purple eyes watery as if she wanted to cry. As the cramps intensified relentlessly, Momoka could only cling to her notebook, praying for the ground to swallow her whole and spare her from embarrassment.

What a weird day it's been. Everything's been going up and down it seemed. The day started normal, then it got crappy then it got decent, then it went to crap again. Then now, boom bad again. Why the heck did things keep happening today? Emi groaned as raised a hand to tuck some hair behind her ear. Her face scrunched up in annoyance as she thought about what was going on. She really needed to go to a temple and ask for some forgiveness or something because she was not a fan of all of this up-and-down stuff.

Upon hearing Sumu's voice, Emi stopped scrunching her face and looked towards where he was coming from. Her bright blue eyes widening as she looked at the bag that he was dangling in front of her. "Woof, woof," Emi mumbled, playing along with his tease as she sat up.

Bright blue eyes twinkled as Emi watched as Atsumu brought out the ice cream. Her hands reached out and held the cold treat, her eyes focused on the treat as she listened to her friend's words. A small smile played along her lips. "Thanks, Sumu," Emi murmured as she focused on opening the container and taking the plastic spoon that came with the ice cream. She scooped some of the green colored ice cream up and took a small bite. A small smile playing along her lips as the sweet yet earthy sort of flavor filled her mouth. She loved matcha ice cream, but a lot of people were put off by its green color.

"Yeah..." Emi quietly agreed as she took another small scoop of her ice cream. Her eyes focused on the cold treat. Ice cream always tastes better in cooler weather, you can enjoy it longer and not have to worry about it going to waste by melting all over the place.

Silence fell over the two as they ate the ice cream. Emi's bright gaze locked on the sweet green treat. "I was on my way back from the library." Emi started, her spoon pausing in the ice cream. "And I ended up making a girl cry today. She wanted me to give you her love note, but I ripped it up in front of her instead." Emi confessed as she turned to look at Sumu. Her lips frowned slightly. "I don't remember her name, but if you're interested. I think she was in our year but in class one."

----

Today seemed to have gone well. Everyone was adjusting to the training quite well. Most of the team seemed to be able to keep up with things, they only had a few late bloomers who were still getting used to all of the running and working out. Which, was to be expected as not everyone was as athletic as the others. It was normal for people to be slightly different from each other.

Walking out of the changing room, his jacket thrown over his shoulders so that he didn't feel the static shocks from his jacket. Shinsuke saw everyone standing around the doors of the gym. His lips forming a small frown as he noticed everyone seeming to be crowding the new manager. He wasn't very well versed in human emotions and thoughts, but. He could clearly see that the young girl was not very happy with all of the attention that the team was giving her.

Walking over to the group, Shinsuke crossed his arms as he looked at the guys. "Go home." He said, his gaze not wavering as he looked at each of his teammates. The group all seemed to jump as they noticed the Captain standing behind the group. Aran, being the ever-dependable teammate, was the first to read what Shinsuke was trying to say as the Captain's eyes flickered to the shivering Matsuda-san. "Alright, you guys heard the captain," Aran said as he tried to corral the rowdy boys and get them to leave.

Staying where he was, Shinsuke watched the group leave for a few moments. Then, he slipped off his jacket and draped it over the pink haired girls shoulders. "It's getting cold out," Shinsuke said as he lowered his gaze toward the violet eyes of the girl in front of him. "You should start heading home, it's getting dark as well." He slowly started to walk down the steps of the gym and turned to look at her. "You look exhausted, you should go home and get some rest."

"Do you want me to walk you home again, Matsuda-san?" Shinsuke offered as he turned slightly to her and waited to see if she wanted him to walk with her or not.

Atsumu felt his lips quirk upwards into an undeniably smug smirk as Emi's eyes lit up at the sight of the ice cream treats he had procured. There was just something immensely satisfying about being the one to put that bright sparkle back in her gaze.

"Don't mention it, Shorty," he replied with a lighthearted chuckle, watching in amusement as she dug into the matcha green tea flavor with unabashed delight. He knew how much she loved that unique, slightly bitter taste that put most people off.

As a comfortable silence fell between them, punctuated only by the soft scrapes of their spoons against the paper containers, Atsumu allowed himself to sneak occasional sidelong glances at his favorite blonde. The way her bright blue eyes remained transfixed on the frozen treat, those ridiculous pigtails bouncing slightly with each small bite...it was disgustingly endearing.

He felt his cheeks warming slightly as Emi suddenly spoke up about ripping up a love note from some random girl who had tried to use her to get to him. Atsumu's brows lifted in surprise, scrambling to keep his expression neutral despite the odd fluttering sensation in his chest.

"A love note, huh?" he echoed, purposely keeping his tone casual despite the smug satisfaction blooming within him. He knew he was considered one of the most sought-after guys in their year, but it was always flattering to get the confirmation. But it's also a double-edged sword because there were some creeps who didn't know the concept of personal boundaries. He hated it the most if the girls redirect their frustration to Emi, though, since she's their closest friend so she often gets troubled by this type of things happening.

"Well, can't say I'm surprised some poor girl is pinin' after me," Atsumu continued with an exaggerated sigh, flashing Emi a shameless wink as he dug his spoon back into his dessert. "A handsome face like this is a one-in-a-million rarity, you know~"

He chuckled, realizing that he has a twin brother. "Okay, maybe two-in-a-million," he corrected himself.

Licking a stray bit of melted chocolate from the corner of his lips, Atsumu leveled her with a look of over-exaggerated seriousness.

"Really though, Shorty, I appreciate ya lookin' out for me by not passin' on that note," he stated with sincerity. Allowing his gaze to linger perhaps a beat too long, Atsumu felt his throat tighten slightly as he searched Emi's bright blue eyes, hoping that perhaps she could see how beautiful she is in his eyes.

He tried to eat a mouthful of ice cream to cool his cheeks. "I dunno but it's so hot today!" Even if Atsumu feel impartial towards matcha, he still liked annoying his childhood friend... so with a quick move, he stole a bit of ice cream. "There, better~"

---

Momoka was grateful for the distraction when Kita's authoritative voice cut through the mortifying situation, ordering the team to disperse and head home. She kept her gaze averted, cheeks burning, as Aran swiftly herded the lingering guys away per their captain's terse instruction. Once they were alone, the heavy silence stretched taut between Momoka and Kita. She flinched bodily when he suddenly draped his jacket over her trembling shoulders. The unexpected kindness in his simple gesture threatened to undo her already tenuous composure.

"It's getting cold out," he murmured, meeting her wide, shame-filled eyes with his piercing stare. "You should start heading home, it's getting dark as well."

Momoka clutched the jacket tighter around herself, wishing she could disappear into the soft fabric and escape this entire humiliating situation. She managed a tiny, jerky nod, unable to find her voice past the lump of mortification clogging her throat. As Kita began descending the steps towards the exit, she watched him turn back slightly, dark eyes searching her flushed face with an indecipherable look.

"You look exhausted, you should go home and get some rest." There was no censure in his tone, only that same quiet observation that made Momoka feel utterly transparent before him. "Do you want me to walk you home again, Matsuda-san?"

A broken whimper slipped free before she could contain it. Embarrassment swamped her anew at revealing such blatant weakness, but Momoka found herself nodding shakily before she could overthink it. In that moment, she didn't have the strength or pride to refuse Kita's solicitous offer. She needed his steady, anchoring presence to help guide her through this profound humiliation she could scarcely process. Drawing a ragged breath, Momoka finally met his unwavering stare, unrealized tears threatening to fall.

"Th-Thank you, Kita-san," she whispered, hating how small and tremulous her voice sounded. "I would...appreciate that."

Momoka's breath hitched as a fresh cramp seized her abdomen, this one sharper and more insistent than before. Panic lanced through her—she needed to deal with this monthly predicament immediately before it became an even bigger issue.

"K-Kita-san," she stammered, hating how mortifyingly frail her voice sounded. "I...I need to use the restroom for a moment."

She refused to meet his piercing gaze, certain her flushed face and pained grimace would give everything away to his too-perceptive eyes. Momoka didn't think she could withstand that level of scrutiny and humiliation right now. She hurried off towards the gym's attached bathroom with as much dignity as she could muster. Her steps slowed as another vicious cramp bloomed, this one accompanied by a telltale dampness that made her throat constrict with dread.

Please don't let there be a stain...

But a furtive glance down confirmed her worst fears as she glimpsed the splotch of crimson marring the back of her skirt. Hot tears of humiliation burned in Momoka's eyes as she rushed the rest of the way, locking herself into the mercifully empty restroom.

Momoka fought not to completely fall apart right then and there. How could this be happening? She had been so careful, so meticulous in tracking her cycle to avoid any potential embarrassments. Grabbing some feminine supplies from her bag, she hurriedly took care of the problem, blinking back tears the entire time. Once she had a pad securely in place, the pink-haired manager gingerly inspected the stained skirt, throat tight.

She paced the restroom anxiously, desperately trying to come up with a solution. After a moment of frantic consideration, she settled on wrapping the oversized jacket around her waist like a makeshift skirt cover. It wasn't ideal, and likely hilariously obvious as to what ailed her to anyone observant. But it was the only option Momoka had to preserve a shred of her modesty and dignity as she rejoined Kita for their awkward trek.

Squaring her shoulders, she exited the bathroom, praying her burning cheeks and inability to make eye contact wouldn't completely give away the entire humiliating situation.

It felt good getting that letter incident off of her chest. It had bothered the heck out of her since it happaned. She wasn't naturally a mean-spirited person, so the fact that she had caused some girl to cry really bothered her. It's not something that Emi would ever take pride in, but it's like. Some people just didn't get it. Feelings needed to be strong for a relationship to work, if they didn't then there was no point in trying.

Growing up, Emi watched her mom struggle to get used to living in Japan. Leaving all of her family back in America so that she could help her husband's mother who was seriously ill at the time. Emi watched as her mother broke down quite a bit in the first few months of living here, but with her dad by her mom's side. She watched the light come back to her mom. Seeing the strength that pure love that exist between them, believed that you had to have strong feelings to make a relationship work. It was one of the driving forces that Emi reminded herself of when she was bothered by girls who wanted to talk to the guys. They didn't love them, she could tell. It was just a fleeting feeling for most and wasn't worth seeing the heartache that it could cause anyone.

Turning her gaze towards Atsumu, she did her best to keep an unimpressed look on her face but she couldn't help the small quirk of the edges of her lips from lifting. She wanted to laugh at his cockiness. It was one of his better qualities and Emi couldn't exactly tell him that he wasn't wrong. "You're an idiot," Emi murmured quietly as she heard him correct himself because he had forgotten about his own twin. Which actually brought a small smile to Emi's lips. Her head shook a little at her best friend. His gaze giving her a small tingling feeling, one that she didn't quite understand.

Then, as he licked the ice cream from his lips Emi couldn't help but watch the scene. The way his tongue moved along his soft skin. Somehow, Emi found herself staring at Atsumu's lips, how soft they looked. Only when he moved quickly and stole a bite of her ice cream did Emi realize he was talking to her? "Hey~," Emi said in a whiney tone. Her bottom lip sticking out in a pout. "Meanie butt." She mumbled as she looked at the last little bit of her ice cream.

Looking back up towards Sumu, Emi grinned and reached over and took a scoop of his ice cream. "Gotta be fair~," She said in a sing-song voice as she ate a scoop of the chocolate ice cream and grinned at the sweet taste. "Yummy!"

----

Watching how people acted in their normal day to day life was something that Shinsuke didn't usually do. He didn't really care what others did with their life, they were all individuals. No need to critique them for not acting like him. He didn't understand why people acted like they did, as it was none of his concern. Just like how he didn't understand why others acted nervous at times, if they did things constantly then it wouldn't be so nerve wrecking.

Yet, when it came to Matsuda-san he often found himself watching her. Being aware of where she was when she was in close proximity to him. He often found himself listening into her conversations and listening for any sort of indication to how she was feeling in that conversation. How she was feeling in general. The girl was honestly like an open book with her emotions and thoughts written clearly for everyone to see on her sleeves. Her facial expressions being the easiest indicator to her thoughts, at least to Shinsuke.

Staying back, Shinsuke stayed where he was as he allowed for the pink haired girl to run off. Her beat red face was an indicator of her extreme embarrassment. He could tell that something was making her uncomfortable at first. He had thought it was the team, but when he watched her running off he got a clear idea as to what the real problem was. After all, he had an older sister himself and knew when to not ask a girl questions that could embarrass them. He had learned from his sister to just let things be when something like that happaned. Not commenting was the wiser choice.

Hearing footsteps behind him, Shinsule turned around and saw that Matsuda-san was walking towards him. He did his best to keep his emotions in check as he waited for her to leave the gym before he locked the doors. Putting the keys in his pocket before he looked toward the pink-haired girl and offered her a small smile. "Shall we?" He asked, nodding towards the bike rack where he remembered her keeping her bike the last time that he had walked her home.

When he had seen the pink-haired girl come out of the bathroom with his jacket wrapped around her waist. Making her look like she was wearing some sort of weird dress, Shinsuke thoughts earlier seemed to have been true. He knew not to mention things, so he did his best to not pay attention to her wearing his jacket like that. Shoving his hands into his uniform pant pockets, Shinsuke focused forward as he walked. Not wanting to embarrass the pink-haired girl in any sort of way. He couldn't fathom how she was feeling right now.

Atsumu felt his trademark smirk widen impossibly further as Emi attempted and failed to hide her amusement at his boastful quip. He knew that small quirk of her lips all too well—the telltale sign she was trying not to laugh at his antics.

Lazily dragging his tongue along his lips to capture the lingering traces of green tea, the blonde setter unconsciously maintained focused eye contact. He felt a surge of undisguised satisfaction as Emi's gaze seemed to involuntarily zero in on the movement.

Emi's indignant whine and protruding pout only egged him on further. "Hey, no sad puppy dog eyes! You know the rules: what's mine is mine and what's yours is...also mine," he stated matter-of-factly.

Chuckling at her muttered "meanie butt" insult, he made a show of slowly licking the stolen green treat off his spoon with an exaggerated moan of appreciation. "Mmm...now that's what I call dreamy."

He barely had time to shoot Emi a wolfish grin before the petite blonde was leaning over and swiping her own generous spoonful from his diminishing chocolate pint. Atsumu felt his breath catch in his throat as she practically purred in that sing-song lilt that did funny things to his stomach.

"Well, well... looks like someone's in for a challe—"

Abruptly cutting himself off, Atsumu's gaze locked onto Emi's lips wrapped around the spoonful of ice cream. He watched, feeling strangely transfixed, as her eyes slipped shut and she hummed contentedly at the sweet taste. Swallowing hard, the setter forced his widened eyes back up to meet his friend's bright blues as she opened them again with a cheeky grin. Heat flooded his cheeks as he scrambled to regain his trademark bravado.

"Emi, I..." he managed, the slight tremor in his voice betraying the growing awareness of just how entranced he'd been by such a simple action.

Atsumu had never felt so grateful for the light breeze ruffling Emi's soft hair at that moment, offering a brief reprieve to control the thundering of his heartbeat.

Practice was over and the younger Miya proceeded to the classroom where he expected to see his brother and his childhood friend. But they weren't there, so the next place he went was the girl's volleyball gym, in front of the locked door, he saw them. Osamu felt his jaw clench as he watched the shameless teasing unfold between his twin brother and their childhood friend Emi. Atsumu's exaggerated movements and suggestive quips were like a dull ache in Osamu's chest, as if he wanted them to stop. The silver-haired twin could see the blush spreading across Emi's cheeks, she was no doubt experiencing butterflies under Atsumu's intense gaze and cocky smirk. When Emi leaned in to steal a spoonful of Atsumu's ice cream, deliberately licking her lips after, Osamu had to grip his bag hard to keep from visibly reacting.

The easy intimacy, the charged banter, the lingering looks—it was all too much. A lance of jealousy pierced Osamu's heart as he recognized the unmistakable spark between the two. His older brother had always been the loud, boisterous twin who soaked up attention like a sponge. And Emi—sweet, cheerful Emi who seemed like the sunshine after rain—was powerless against Atsumu's brash charms.

Osamu knew he should look away, should leave before this knot of envy and longing threatened to overwhelm him completely. But he couldn't tear his eyes off of the giggling pair, instead, he tried to act cheerful and stole the last bite of Atsumu's ice cream.

"Hey!" the blonde twin called him out. "That's mine!"

"Hey yourself, the captain is disappointed that you got detention and I got chewed up by Megane-kun. I needed this ice cream," Osamu retorted and then stuck his tongue out.

---

The pink-haired manager decided against riding her bike, not wanting to risk any further embarrassing situations. She closed the lock and pushed the bike alongside her as she fell into step with Shinsuke for the walk home. An awkward silence lingered between them. She kept pulling his jacket down self-consciously, feeling exposed and vulnerable. She couldn't bring herself to meet his eyes, cheeks still burning.

She felt so gross and unattractive with her stained clothes and disheveled appearance. Why did he have to see her like this? Her stomach twisted anxiously, wishing she could disappear. This was utterly humiliating. After a couple of minutes, she finally mumbled a quiet "Thank you...for the jacket." Momoka risked a glance up at Shinsuke, her heart skipping a beat at his expression. Momoka's cheeks instantly inflamed again. How could he be so unfazed and nice about this mortifying situation? She managed a small, grateful smile as she tugged the jacket tighter around herself.

As they reached the convenience store, Momoka paused, cheeks still flushed. She ducked her head shyly. "Th-thank you...you're too kind."

Last edited:
A loud laugh escaped from Emi as she sat with Atsumu. Her best friend was one of the two people whom she felt like she could do anything when they were around. He was like a star in the sky for Emi, he always shined when he was around her. Samu as well, he was also a star. Yet, there was just something different about Atsumu and Emi couldn't exactly tell what it was but. She just seemed to always have some sort of weird feeling in her stomach when she was around him.

"Ahh, bringing out your dictatorship over everything?" Emi teased when he said everything was his. Then, she laughed as she shook her head at her friend. "Lame." She added on and laughed once more. Her grin was wide on her face as she looked at her friend. Her head shook a little bit at his antics. Her weird, overly confident at times best friend. The one who seemed to always know how to get some sort of reaction out of her.

Then, it was like a jump scare as Osamu seemed to come out of nowhere and stole a bite of Sumu's ice cream. A small sense of pride filled Emi at the fact that her friend was going to also get chewed up by his captain when he had practice next, although the feeling vanished when she heard that her other best friend got in trouble as well. That caused a small frown to appear upon Emi's lips as she listened to him.

"Why did you get in trouble? Are you feeling alright?" Emi asked as she set her ice cream down between her and Sumu as she stood up and moved to feel Samu's forehead. Making sure that he wasn't getting sick. A look of concern replaced her carefree expression from a moment ago.

----

It was quiet between the two as they walked most of the way towards Matsuda-san's house. Shinsuke could tell that she had something on her mind. She had been unusually quiet, usually, she tried to talk to him as they walked yet today. She hadn't. Shinsuke could see out of the corner of his eye that she seemed to have quite a bit of things on her mind. He knew that he shouldn't pry into her thoughts, but as the Captain maybe he could get her mind off of what was bothering her and get her to think about something else.

"I think everyone was surprised earlier," Shinsuke said as they stopped under the light at the convenience store. His gaze focused on the houses in the short distance from them. Then he slowly looked back down at the pink-haired girl. "You're usually so quiet, no one expected you to speak to them all at once." His eyes slowly blinked as he took in the expressions that Matsuda-san was making. Hoping to ease some of the worries that seemed to be filling that little head of hers.

"You gave everyone some sound advice," Shinsuke said as he offered her one of his very rare smiles as he raised a hand and lightly set it on top of her head. Something that he found quite comforting when his grandmother or parents had done to him when he was younger. "You should be proud of yourself." He told her as he ruffled her hair lightly before pulling his hand back, the small smile still on his lips.

"Go get some rest, Matsuda-san," Shinsuke said as he turned to leave. "You can borrow my jacket, Its weight should help you feel better." He told her as he started to walk away, his words meaning two different things. One was that he knew that weighted things helped with anxiety and the other was that he knew that its warmth was something that could bring her comfort for her other problem.

----

How the hell did this happen? Why was she here? This wasn't really making any sort of sense to Emi. She woke up this morning to a text from Matsuda-san, who she wasn't really expecting a message from. Asking her to meet up at a local cafe and for some reason Emi said yes and they agreed on a time. So, now Emi was here. Sitting across from the pink-haired girl in a public place.

The aroma of tea, coffee, and sweets surrounded them as they sat at a small table in the corner of the cafe. A wide-open window to her right so that they could watch the people passing them by as they lived their lives. It was a good location for the cafe, she'll have to remember to drag the guys here one of these days. She was certain that they'd like the large variety of drink selections that they had.

"So, what are we doing here?" Emi asked, using her fork to take a small scoop of the strawberry cake that was paired with her coffee. Tasting the sweet treat, Emi's eyes sparkled a bit as she tasted how amazing it tasted. She loved sweets, and this place just gained a new fan. "You just asked if I could meet you here. You didn't really explain why though." Like a weirdo, Emi just randomly agreed without a second thought. Which was a first, usually Emi was apprehensive when other girls asked her to hang out.

(Emi's outfit)

Osamu felt his cheeks warm slightly at Emi's motherly fussing. He waved off her concern halfheartedly. He shrugged one shoulder, avoiding her probing gaze. "I'm fine, Mom. Just... got a little rusty during practice is all."

The truth was he had been reprimanded for unfocused play and a perceived attitude problem. But he didn't want to admit that seeing Atsumu and Emi together had thrown him completely off his game. Swallowing hard, he attempted a reassuring smile.

"Don't you worry that pretty head of yours. You know how the he can be... probably just breathin' too loudly for his liking can earn a glare. But what really surprised me was Megane-kun, I really thought that she's just that quiet manager who'd do meager errands here and there, but earlier she really roasted me with her quote-unquote notes to help refine performance..." he added, trying to dismiss his thumping heart due to Emi's proximity.

"Poor Samu~" the blonde setter mockingly rubbed his brother's shoulder. "I'll buy you ice cream for being tortured like that~"

"You better be, Tsumu!"

---

Her purple eyes widened slightly as Shinsuke brought up her outburst at volleyball practice earlier. She felt her cheeks warming again at the memory of uncharacteristically speaking up in front of the whole team. She could remember how most of the members acknowledged her criticisms and suggestions, but she couldn't shake off Osamu's quip.

"I...I didn't mean to overstep," she mumbled, gaze dropping. "I'm just trying to help the team..."

She looked back up as the captain complimented her advice and assured her it was something to be proud of. Momoka's heart fluttered when he reached out to ruffle her hair in a comforting gesture.

"Th-thank you, Kita-san," she thanked him for the umpteenth time. His kindness and understanding helped ease the anxiety still swirling within her.

When he mentioned her keeping his jacket overnight, Momoka's flush deepened. She clutched the warm fabric, giving a small nod of appreciation for his subtle acknowledgment of her situation.

"You're too good to me," she murmured, touched by his thoughtfulness. Momoka watched him turn to leave, mesmerized by the way the streetlight caught his warm brown eyes.

Giving herself a mental shake, she called out before he got too far. "Kita-san? Thank you...for everything today. I...I really appreciate it," she said as a soft, fond smile curved her lips. She met his gaze steadily for once, wanting him to know she meant it sincerely. The captain's compassion meant more to her than he likely realized.

---

The bell above the cafe door jingled as Momoka stepped inside, immediately enveloped in the rich, inviting aromas of coffee, tea, and freshly baked pastries. The cozy space had a warm, homey ambiance with plush seating, wood accents, and the soft hum of conversation. As she made her way over, the pink haired girl felt herself relaxing into the cafe's laidback vibe. The jovial clinking of ceramic mugs and the indulgent smells of sweet treats like strawberry cake and melted chocolate created an atmosphere begging customers to linger a while.

Sunlight streamed through the wide open windows, casting a gentle glow over the amber-toned decor. Momoka's amethyst eyes were instantly drawn to a small table in the corner nook by the windows. It seemed like the perfect little nook to settle in and chat for a while, with a lovely view of the tree-lined street outside. Shortly after she arrived, she saw Emi come by wearing casual streetwear clothes. Today was a Saturday, and later tonight will be the Spring Festival. She wanted to look for kimono rentals but she didn't want to do it alone, so she asked the blonde to come over. Surprisingly, she said yes! And now they're here...

Sinking into the plush armchair, the pink-haired girl let out a content sigh. Emi bought a strawberry cake and coffee, and the girl was already enjoying her treat. With a warm cup of tea in hand and a savory pastry beckoning, Momoka felt a world away from the usual stresses of school, and now she is facing a huge dilemma: whether to ask Kita to the festival with her or not. After all, this might be their last year together and they might part ways once they graduate. So she decided to be bold and try her luck this time. But the first step for this plan to work is to actually have a proper attire for the event.

"Umm... Nanako-san... I would like to be honest with you. I don't really have a lot of friends, let alone female friends..." she started, unsure of how the blonde girl would react. "So, umm... I-I would like to ask for your advice to help me rent out a kimono for the Spring Festival tonight..."

Momoka's Outfit

Last edited:
The way that Matsuda-san was acting, was giving Emi the idea that something big was going to happen. Whether it be to ask for her to stop seeing the guys or for advice on volleyball because she played, Emi didn't know. What she did know though, was the fact that this girl reminded her of a mouse. Quiet and shy. Just like how she was in unfamiliar situations.

That last thought caused Emi's eyebrows to furrow a bit, as she wasn't expecting that thought. Quickly though, she got rid of that expression as she focused on taking a sip of her iced coffee. Listening to what the pink-haired girl was saying before nearly choking on her sip of the caffinated goodness that was iced coffee.

"Um," Emi mumbled, shocked by what Matsuda-san had just asked her. She raised a hand and tucked some hair behind her ear that had gotten in her face. She really hadn't thought about Kimono rentals since she was thinking of just having a relaxing night off since today would be the busiest for the festival and Emi wasn't the biggest fan of crowds.

"Sure." She caved, after watching Matsuda-san squirm in her seat as Emi had stayed quiet. Her bright blue eyes taking in how her simple responses seemed to be affecting the girl in front of her. "Color-wise, I feel like something a bit darker would work best on you. I can see you pulling off navy blue really well" Emi said as she took another small sip of her drink. Her gaze focused on the girl in front of her as she thought about what else to tell the girl. "Maybe don't go with something with a flashy design. You would look better with something that's plain or has just a light design on it." Emi told her, bright blue eyes glancing up towards the girl in front of her.

Letting out a small hum, Emi sat back a bit. "You should put your hair up, maybe put a flower or a hair clip in it." Emi took a bite of her cake. "Once we're done with our sweets. I know of a couple of shops that could supply you with a decent Komono to rent and have a decent selection of accessories."

After lingering over pastries and hot drinks at the cozy cafe, Momoka and Emi paid their bill and headed out, strolling along the bustling sidewalks lined with festival stalls and shops. The pink-haired girl kept stealing timid glances at her blonde companion, admiring how she looked so effortlessly confident and beautiful with wearing stylish streetwear. She may seem a bit short, but she had the stance of a model who was owning the runway.

Soon, the two girls found themselves in a tiny kimono rental shop tucked away on a quiet side street. Unlike other shops that were bustling with customers, this one seemed a bit too quiet, maybe because it was so hidden. Bolts of luxurious silk and embroidered brocades adorned the walls in a kaleidoscope of rich colors and and every imaginable kimono pattern.

An elegant shopkeeper who seemed to be in her 60s welcomed them inside. "It's been a while, Nanako-chan. It seems like you aren't with the twins today for the spring festival... I still remember how loud you three were when you first went here~"

Then, she immediately sized up Momoka with a practiced eye. "And who is this young lady with you?"

"Hello, it's nice to meet you. I am Matsuda Momoka," the pink-haired manager introduced herself with a polite bow. Without a word, the woman began pulling elegant navy blue kimono options, explaining that the deep color would be exquisite against Momoka's fair complexion. She selected garments without overly busy patterns, allowing the subtle beauty to shine.

Momoka felt herself blush shyly as the shopkeeper brought out a simple navy blue kimono with wisteria patterns. She watched, transfixed, as bolt after bolt of potential options was curated just for her. Overwhelmed, she looked at Emi for help.

"U-Umm... Nanako-san... what do you think of this one? Is it perfect?" she asked, raising a dark purple kimono with sakura petals falling. "Silly me... it wasn't navy blue like you suggested but..."

She stammered and fidgeted the cloth, nervous of how Kita would react once he sees her. She transformed behind the changing room curtains, and the shopkeeper's presence seemed to instill Momoka with confusion as she kept suggesting other kinonos to be rented.

"How about this Nanako-san? Does it look perfect?"

"If you don't mind me asking, and I hope I'm not intruding, dear... but why are you trying too hard to look perfect?"

"Huh?"

"What I mean by that is... you do not ask if you look good in this color or if the design is beautiful. You just kept asking if it looks perfect," the shopkeep stated gently, careful not to hurt Momoka's feelings.

"W-Well... there's someone I wanted to ask out in the spring festival," she began, remembering Kita as she spoke. "He... I-I don't really know how he feels. But whenever I try to search for him when I look into his eyes, it seems like I barely know the person..."

She sighed, feeling a lot of burden being unloaded all at once. "But I know that he's very thoughtful. And I was just admiring him from afar but now, I feel like we're growing closer together... so that's why I want to muster up the courage to ask him out, looking perfect, because I don't want to leave high school with regrets..."

"I see, then we will make you the prettiest girl," the woman agreed, placing a comforting hand on Momoka's shoulder.

The pink-haired girl turned to Emi, oblivious of the blonde girl's emotions. "Do you think... Kita-san would like this?"

It felt so weird walking down the street with someone who was more her size and walking speed. Whenever she walked with Sumu or Samu, it always felt like she was being towered over and had to run to keep up with them practically. Well, if she was lucky and the guys remembered that she had shorter legs they'd walk slower but that was few and far between. Idiot boys.

Walking with Matsuda though, wasn't exhausting. She didn't need to waste more energy than needed to keep up with her. They just sorta seemed to sink into the same speed to walk and enjoy the spring weather. Was this what it was like to walk with someone who wasn't over six feet tall? Who wasn't always teasing you for being short? If so, Emi didn't really mind this sort of feeling or situation.

As they arrived at the cute little boutique that rented out some of the prettiest kimono's that she had ever seen. A small smile played along Emi's lips as she greeted the shop staff. A light pink coated her cheeks as the shopkeeper seemed to have recognized her from last year. A nervous giggle escaping from her lips as she nervously rubbed the back of her neck. "Ah~ Yeah, the twins had practice this morning." She told the older woman. Well, mostly Sumu had makeup practice, but Samu wanted to tag along for some reason. "An Aran was still sleeping." She explained where the guys were.

When the woman's attention was turned away from Emi, she took that as her chance to turn away from the two and start looking around. Her bright eyes taking in the fabric's for the newer kimono's and then looking at the accessories. So many different things to pair with a kimono laid out for Emi and everyone to see. Sassahs for the kimono, flower ornaments, beads for the hair and so many more items.

As she was looking at a pretty pink-haired flower, Emi heard her name being called and looked towards Matsuda. Her expression only showing that she was calm and not much else about what she was thinking. "I said dark colors, I was only mentioning navy blue because I felt like that was your color," Emi explained like it was easy to understand. "That purple goes well with your complexion as well." Then, Emi looked away from the pink-haired girl once more as the shopkeeper started to talk to Matsuda-san once more.

Tracing her fingers lightly over some of the kimonos, Emi admired the soft fabric as it brushed against her fingers. They were all so soft, and beautiful.

Then, it was like she was a Spiderman moment. Except it was more like a woman's intuition. Emi's hearing zeroed in on Matsuda-san as she spoke, causing Emi's whole body to tense up as her eyes widened at what she was hearing. She wants to ask someone to the festival. Emi repeated in her mind as she listened in, pausing in her search. The color seemed to fade from Emi as she listened in. She barely knows him, but she thinks he's a thoughtful person. Emi's mind wandered towards the twins. Wondering who the more thoughtful one was. As both could be airheads at times. She-she doesn't want any regrets about leaving high school. Emi instantly thought about her best friends both fawning over the pink-haired girl. Wrapping their arms around her and rubbing their cheeks against the girl's and acting all cute with her. The image broke Emi's heart, and she could feel waterworks building up. Threatening to explode at the thoughts of her friends being won over by a cougar. They both told her that nothing was going on with the glasses-wearing girl! Sumu even told her that she'd be the first to know if he had feelings for any girl. The lying idiot!

Turning towards Matsuda-san shakily, Emi was about to tell the girl that she was leaving when the pink-haired girl dropped one of the biggest bombs that she had ever heard. "K-kita-Senpai?" Emi stammered, her legs nearly giving out on her as she looked at the pink-haired girl. Her eyes were wide as she took in the shy girl, seeing her in a whole new light. The image of the twins fawning over her vanished and instead appeared Kita-san fawning over the girl. The image was even scarier to see as the third year didn't seem to show any sort of emotion as he seemed to fawn over the pink-haired girl in her mind.

"U-um," Emi mumbled, her voice quiet as she stared at the pink-haired girl. Then, her eyes slowly trailed down to look at the kimono that she was wearing. "That looks great on you," Emi said quietly, recovering from her initial shock. Emi looked to the side and grabbed a butterfly hairpin, then walked towards Matsuda. She grabbed both of the girl's hands and lightly put the pin into the girl's hand. "This'll look great in your hair. I think Kita-senpai won't be able to keep his eyes off of you if you do wear this."

Momoka stared at her reflection, scarcely recognizing the glamorous vision before her. The deep black silk kimono with its delicate sakura pattern seemed to make her fair skin and pink hair glow. It was a beautiful kimono, as if reflecting the spring festival tonight where pink petals fall as the night breeze gently blow them. She twisted back and forth, marveling at how the fabric swished around her with a weightless grace.

She felt her cheeks instantly flame as she registered Emi's shocked words about Kita. She averted her gaze shyly, fiddling with the intricate fabric of her kimono sleeve.

"I think I was pretty obvious when I talked about him...?" she mumbled, unable to meet Emi's wide-eyed stare. When Emi complimented how great the kimono looked on her, Momoka managed a small, bashful smile.

"Thanks, Emi-chan, I appreciate it!"

Her breath caught in her throat as the blonde girl selected an exquisite butterfly hairpin and gently pressed it into Momoka's hand. She gazed down at the delicate accessory, fingers lightly tracing the iridescent wings. The intricate updo secured with an ornate butterfly hairpin added an air of sophistication to her look.

"You think... he'd really like this?" Momoka asked in a hushed tone, finally daring to glance up at her friend through her lashes.

She saw understanding dawn in Emi's expression, along with a reassuring smile. Cheeks still tinged pink, Momoka twisted to examine her reflection once more. She carefully slid the ornate hairpin into place, securing a few escaped tendrils of her long pink hair. The butterfly accessory was the perfect finishing touch to her romantic ensemble.

"I look..." Momoka began in a hushed tone, eyes wide. Words failed her as she took in her traditionally stunning appearance.

In the mirror, she caught the shopkeep beaming over her shoulder, looking very proud of her. The old woman gave an approving nod, no words needed to convey how gorgeous the pink-haired girl looked. Cheeks flushing, Momoka tore her gaze from the looking glass to fully appraise her reflection. She had never imagined she could appear so elegant and regal, since the confident young woman staring back at her seemed worlds away from her usual shy, timid self.

"Perfect," she finally managed to murmur, a soft smile gracing her lips.

Momoka felt her heart swell with a newfound sense of poise and self-assuredness. Dressed in this exquisite kimono, she felt like she embodied grace and refinement. A strange thought flitted through her mind—wondering if a certain volleyball captain would even recognize her...

She quickly banished the silly notion with an inward shake of her head. While keen to see Shinsuke's reaction, somehow she knew his warm gaze would still see her—the shy, timid volleyball manager he knew—underneath the ornate kimono styling... Drawing a steadying breath, she straightened her shoulders and lifted her chin, every inch embracing her new regal air. Momoka was determined to enjoy the evening feeling confident and beautiful. She owed it to herself to bask in this extraordinary side of her identity she had never allowed to shine before.

She stole another glance at Emi, shyly hopeful. "Do you really think...Kita-san might..." she trailed off, suddenly self-conscious.

While a quiet voice in her mind told her not to get her hopes up, Momoka couldn't deny a part of her desperately wished to catch Shinsuke's eye tonight. To have him see her as a woman worthy of his attention, instead of just a stammering volleyball manager. After almost three years, she finally mustered up the courage to tell him her feelings.

"I guess there's only one way to find out," she murmured with a small, secret smile. Bringing out her phone, she began typing up a text message to the captain.

To: Kita-san

Subj: Spring Festival

Kita-san, I hope this message finds you well. I have a rather personal request, if you don't mind.

Tonight is the spring festival in the neighborhood shrine. I was wondering if you might be interested in attending together? Just the two of us.

Regardless of your response, I hope that you enjoy the events this weekend. Please remember to take a rest, and don't overexert yourself.

~ Matsuda

---

Atsumu: Oi, are we going to the spring festival or not?

Atsumu: My traitor of a brother will ditch us... 🙄

Osamu: Stop being dramatic, I'm going with Suna to meet WINK☆RU ♥️

Emi: I dunno, Matsuda-senpai asked me to meet up at a cafe.

Aran: And I am wracking my brain out because of this lab sheet for our chemistry class so I can't join. Sorry!!

Atsumu: Whaaaat?! But how about our friendship 💔

Osamu: Seeing Agawa-chan is more important!

Aran: Ouch...

Atsumu: Told you he's a traitor 🙄

Aran: I'll go back to studying alkenes...

Atsumu: Okay fine!

Atsumu: Hey Shorty! Notice me!!

Atsumu: How about you?

Atsumu flopped back on the couch with a huff, tossing his phone aside. He was done with the devilishly difficult practice that Megane-kun and Kita assigned to him after he had detention. And it seemed like his disdain for the pink-haired manager only grew because she was hogging Emi's companionship. The room felt weirdly quiet with Osamu out at some concert with Suna and Aran holed up studying for their chemistry class. He grabbed the TV remote, but after mindlessly channel surfing for a few minutes, he tossed it back down with a groan.

"Ugh, we're supposed to go to the spring festival tonight like last year..."

His gaze landed on his phone, and a sly smile quirked his lips. Well, if his lame childhood friends wanted to waste a perfectly good Saturday night, that was their loss. He had someone else in mind to liven up his evening. Scooping up his phone, Atsumu wasted no time pulling up his phone once again, fingers flying across the keypad.

Atsumu: Yo Shorty, you doin' anything fun with Megane-kun?

He sat back, chewing his lip as he awaited her response. A few seconds ticked by before he started typing again, impatience getting the better of him. He didn't want to take the risk, but he couldn't risk losing her too...

Atsumu: Cuz I've got an idea that's way better than whatever lame shit you've prob got planned 😜

Atsumu: We should hit up that spring festival and make a night of it. Get all dolled up, play some dumb games, eat food...you know you wanna!

He paused, gaze drifting towards the window and the fading pastel streaks of sunset. A small smile tugged at his lips. Getting turned down would royally suck... but no biggie, right? The setter's palms felt clammy as he waited for her response with bated breath.

Atsumu: Could even catch the fireworks later if you're feelin' it...

Emi is typing...

Emi: *dramatic sigh*

Emi: I guesssss, I'll go~

His heart did a little flip. Sure, he and Emi had been childhood friends and they've been teasing each other a lot, but he could feel that the past few days were emotionally-charged. And he couldn't imagine better company than Emi to share the revelries with. Her radiant smile, that tinkling laugh, those warm blue eyes that always seemed to see straight through his bullshit...

Emi: Someone's gotta keep an eye on the delinquent of the group.

He rolled his eyes at her message. Yeah, maybe she was worth taking the risk for.

When Matsuda-san said that she thought it was obvious who she had been talking about, Emi couldn't help but to look away. The girl was not obvious in the least bit about who she had been talking about. This whole time she thought that the pink-haired girl was after someone who Emi cherished for years, and yet. It turned out that she liked some guy who was uptight and seemed to lack emotions at times. Just imagining him scolding her sends shivers down her spine when she imagines what the guys go through with their captains.

"Kita-San would be blind to not notice you." Emi said, as she nervously looked away from the girl who spoke her first name. It was not something she was used to hearing. Especially since the guys usually called her Shorty most of the time. The only one who routinely called her by her first name was Aran, and it was usually when he was teasing her. So, to have someone she had just met call her by her first name. It was kinda weird.

Releasing a small breath, Emi glanced toward Matsuda-san and did her best to offer the girl an encouraging smile. "I'm rooting for you," Emi told the pink-haired girl as she watched the older girl pull out her phone to text the scary Captain.
Turning her back to Matsuda-san, Emi felt her phone vibrating and pulled it out. Her bright blue eyes took in the conversation that she had missed. It seemed like life was changing for everyone as it looked like everyone had other plans, except Atsumu who seemed determined to get her attention.

Originally, Emi was going to wait to reply to the group chat til after she was done helping Matsuda-san, but it seemed like a certain setter had other ideas when Emi looked at it. She couldn't help the small smile that played along her lips. Her eyes twinkled a bit in amusement as she read Atsumu's lame words over and over. He was such a jerk sometimes, but he always seemed to find a way to lessen the harshness with her. It always caused a sort of fluttering in her belly, that Emi could never understand. A giddy sort of feeling always seemed to fill her whole body, as she got a rush of excitement when he was the sole person who messaged her. Almost like an electric shock. A sort of feeling that gave her energy, but not the kind that made her want to run around and do things. More of a sort of excitement where she wanted to just squeal like an actual teenager and just hug her phone as she rolled around in bed. Ecstatic that a boy was messaging her.

Bringing her phone up to her lips, Emi tapped her bottom lip with the hard plastic device as she glanced out the window. Noticing that it was already starting to get late. Things were going to start soon for the festival, so she needed to make a decision now if she wanted to go along with the annoying setter's offer.

Then, it seemed like her fingers had a mind of their own as Emi lowered her phone and started to message Atsumu back. Agreeing to go along with him to the festival.

When she lowered her phone, a sigh escaped from Emi as she raised a hand to tuck a loose strand of hair behind her right ear. "I guess I'm going to the festival as well," Emi said as she looked to the shop owner. "Thank you for helping us out last minute," Emi said to the shopkeeper, who smiled at Emi and brushed her thanks off. "It's no problem." The woman said politely.

Breathing in a deep breath, Emi slowly exhaled as she moved towards the lighter-colored Kimono. She had to find something to wear now since she had plans to go to the festival after all.

----

Sitting on the couch in the living room, Shinsuke stared down at his phone. A cup of hot tea that was freshly made sat on a coaster in front of him. He had gotten a text from Matsuda-san a few moments ago and to be quite honest. He wasn't sure how to react to it. Sure, he quite liked the girl. Yet, he had no idea how to take the message that she had just sent to him.

Just the two of them. She had written, as in just them going to the festival? Without the team? Was this just an outing between two friends? Or, was this a date? He wasn't sure, nothing like this had happaned to Shinsuke before, so he had no idea how to react. What did he reply with? How did he reply to the message? Was something short more appropriate or should he type out something longer? What does one say when they don't know the full context of this message's meaning?

Footsteps behind him caught Shinsuke's attention and he watched as his older sister came down the steps. A towel around her shoulders as she ruffled her damp hair. The college girl came towards her younger broker and looked over Shinsuke's shoulder at his opened phone message and read it before grinning at her little brother. "Who's this Matsuda-san?" Shinsuke's sister asked as she leaned on the back of the couch with her arms resting on the top as she looked from her brother to the message that was on his phone.

"She's the new manager for the Men's Volleyball Club," Shinsuke said as he looked down at his phone. "She's also a classmate of mine. We've been in the same class for the past three years, but this year is the most we've interacted." Shinsuke elaborated for his sister. Who, hummed as she moved a hand to rest her chin in the palm. A sly look appeared upon her face as she looked at her little brother. "Ah~ An do you like this manager?" She asked, a teasing tone in her voice as she looked at her usually mature and stoic brother.

Keeping his gaze on the phone, Shinsuke kept quiet as he debated on what to tell his sister. He wasn't sure what it meant to like someone. Growing up, he was certain that he would be like his grandparents. His marriage being arranged for him when his parents thought that the time was right. So, being able to act on his own actual feelings for someone, was not something that he had thought about. "I don't know." Was his answer, his true feelings. He just didn't know.

It seemed like his response wasn't something that his sister appreciated as the teasing look on Shinsuke's sister's face turned to one of slight annoyance. She let out a small scuff and took Shinsuke's phone out of his hand with ease. Dodging his easily as he tried to grab his phone back from her. Shinsuke watched with wide eyes as she quickly typed back a reply before sending it, tossing the phone back once the deed was done.

Staring at his sister with wide eyes, Shinsuke quickly flipped to his emails and read what his sister had written as his reply.

To: Matsuda-san
Subject: Spring Festival
Matsuda-san, let's meet at the Inarizaki High gates and walk to the festival together.

The message was short, sweet, and do the point. It's what Shinsuke would have typed had he been the one who had sent the message himself. So, there was no way that Matsuda-san would know that it wasn't Shin who had wrote the message to her. Raising his gaze, Shinsuke looked at his older sister with a bit of worry clearly written all over his face. Which, only awarded him a teasing grin in response.

"Come little brother, let's get you ready for your date!" Shinsuke's sister said as she grabbed his right hand and started to pull him toward his bedroom to look for his kimono. Shinsuke's sister talked nonstop about being excited for him and giving pointers on what to do during a date to make any girl swoon.

----

It took almost an hour for Emi to get ready herself. After finding a kimono that she liked enough to wear, she had trouble finding any accessories that she liked. There were so many that felt too boring in Emi's eyes. She had to resort to looking at other stores for things before she managed to finally find a cute flower clip for her hair.

Now, she was a few minutes behind and Emi was basically hobbling along the streets as she raced to the spot she had promised Atsumu to meet up at. Emi could feel her lungs screaming for air as her tight kimono restricted her breathing. The sound of her wooden sandals echoed down the street as she speed-walked down the sidewalk. Squeezing past other people as they walked down the street towards the festival.

"Sumu~" Emi called as she finally spotted her best friend in front of the cafe that they both liked. A grin appeared on Emi's lips as she spotted her best friend. She stopped a couple of feet away and placed her hands on her knees as she tried to catch her breath. "S-sorry. Th-things took longer than I thought they would." Emi stuttered out between breaths. Her happy grin never left her face though as she looked up at her best friend.

Emi's kimono
Emi's hairpin
----

The sun was mostly down now and the moon was starting to peak over the edge of the world. Creating a beautiful soft glow over the world as it started to wake up. The festival was kicking off, and Shinsuke could hear in from where he was standing by the school's gates. Dressed in his black kimono, which was oddly enough the color of the volleyball team's uniform.

With his head tilted back slightly, Shinsuke watched as the stars started to light up the sky. Hidden by the light of the city's lights, they still shined lightly. That brought a small smile to the young man's lips as he enjoyed the quiet night. It wasn't every night when they didn't have a single cloud in the night sky. It was a nice change from what they've had the past couple of months. The weather was starting to warm up as well, so it wasn't too cold out tonight. A perfect night to enjoy a festival and have some fun.

A soft sound caught Shinsuke's attention and pulled him away from looking at the dark sky. Shifting his dark gaze from the sky to glance over his shoulders. Shinsuke was not expecting what he was being met with. His eyes widened slightly as he took in Matsuda-san. The way that the kimono fit her perfectly and made the bright color of her hair pop. The way her hair was done up so nicely, that it framed her face like a picture. She looked, amazing.

"Wow." Escaped from Shinsuke, without him even realizing it. Which caused the Captain to glance away from her and nervously cough into a closed fist. "You look very nice, are you ready for the festival?" Shinsuke asked the pink-haired girl once he had managed to calm himself down and get himself back under wraps. He was not expecting the girl to go all out, but. He was glad she did because Matsuda-san looked breathtaking. Like one of the brightest stars in the night sky.

Momoka caught Emi's eye as her friend began gathering her things, clearly getting ready to depart the kimono shop after she typed something on her phone. A pang of sadness tugged at her heart, realizing their fun outing was coming to an end.

"Emi-chan?" She gave her friend a grateful smile as Emi paused, turning toward her attentively. "I can't thank you enough for today. This whole experience has been...magical, honestly."

Momoka smoothed her hands down the rich fabric of her black kimono, feeling a surge of affection for the girl who had encouraged her to embrace this side of her femininity.

"I don't think I would have had the courage to do something like this without your support," Momoka admitted, her smile turned sheepish. "You've really been such a good friend to me. To be honest I don't have many friends, so when I saw you at the volleyball tryouts last year... I hoped to talk to you but I couldn't find the courage to do so. When I saw you reading Winter Fever, I saw it as a sign that maybe I should not waste my chance to talk to an amazing person like you."

Momoka took a deep breath, feeling uncharacteristically bold in the wake of her elegant makeover.

"Which is why...I was hoping..." She nibbled her lip momentarily before pushing on. "I'd love if you felt comfortable enough with me to start calling me by my first name. I want you to think of me as an intimate friend, not just a casual acquaintance."

Momoka's cheeks tinged pink, but she kept her expression open and hopeful. "What do you say?"

Grinning, the two girls embraced in a tight hug, sealing their elevated bond. As they pulled apart, Momoka felt her heart swell with appreciation.

"Thank you, Emi-chan," she murmured. "I'll never forget this special day with you."

---

Atsumu felt his heart stutter as Emi came into view, looking like a vision of spring itself in her pale blue kimono. The delicate floral pattern and soft pastel shade made her porcelain skin seem to glow in the fading sunset. He swallowed hard, suddenly feeling uncharacteristically shy as he drank in every exquisite detail—from the elegant styling of her hair with the ornamental sakura pins woven through her shining tresses, to the tantalizing hint of collarbone revealed by the kimono's collar.

But it was her radiant smile, eyes lighting up as their gazes met, that truly rendered Atsumu breathless.

Clearing his throat, he managed a cocky grin, feeling some of his trademark bravado returning. "Well damn, don't you just look like the prettiest little spring blossom?"

He closed the distance between them. Up close, he could better appreciate the intricate detailing and how the soft blue hue made her eyes seem even more vibrantly azure. Trailing his fingertips along her jaw, he purred "Lucky for you, I'll be a perfect gentleman tonight... if you let me take you out and give you the night of your life, that is."

With one last smoldering look, Atsumu straightened and offered his arm with an exaggerated flourish. "Whaddya say, Shorty? You game to let me spoil you rotten?"

The setter couldn't resist pulling her flush against his side as they strolled towards the lively festival stalls. The sweet floral scent of her perfume was utterly intoxicating this close.

"First thing's first—I'm winnin' you the cutest prize this festival has to offer for agreeing to honor the tradition of our friendship unlike Aran and Samu," Atsumu declared with his signature bravado. He steered them towards the game booths, eyes roving critically until one caught his attention.

"Ah, there we go—time to show off these skilled setter arms of mine," he said, flexing his muscular arm which was covered by the sleeves of his dark blue kimono.

Dropping a few coins on the counter, he grabbed the ball firmly and winked at Emi. "You might wanna step back a bit. Wouldn't want you gettin' hit by the sheer power I'm about to unleash." Atsumu's eyes narrowed in determination as he reared back and fired the ball towards the pyramid of bottles.

Letting out a victorious whoop as they all went clattering down, he turned towards Emi with a shameless grin, hands on his hips proudly. "Told ya I had mad skills! Now for my grand prize..."

"You won a stuff toy!" the shopkeep said, handing him the most garish one of the bunch—a bright teal cat with buttons for eyes. It looked so weird but he felt that it looked so cute.

"Perfect for my best girl," he said and plopped the ridiculous prize directly atop Emi's head with a smug grin. "There, now you're even cuter somehow."

---

Momoka's heart fluttered wildly in her chest as she caught Kita's awestruck reaction. The way his eyes had widened slightly, roving over her elaborately styled appearance with undisguised admiration. When that hushed "Wow" escaped his lips, Momoka felt her cheeks instantly flood with color. She ducked her head shyly, unable to suppress the pleased smile that curved her lips.

Of course she had hoped to impress him with her romantic kimono ensemble. But to actually render the usually unflappable Kita Shinsuke momentarily stunned? That bolstered her confidence in a wildly thrilling way. Momoka risked a glance back up at him through her lashes as he composed himself, catching the pinkish tint high on his cheekbones. Hearing him outright compliment how nice she looked made her heart soar.

"Thank you, Kita-san," she murmured softly, shyly peeking up at him. "You look very handsome yourself."

His sleek black kimono ensemble lent him an aura of sophisticated elegance. Yet the pink-haired manager could still see Kita's dependability, something innately warm and kind that putting him at ease.

Giving a small, self-conscious tuck of her hair behind her ear, Momoka couldn't resist sighing in relief for him to agree to something as spontaneous as this. She smoothed her hands down the rich dark fabric as if reflecting tonight's scenery, suddenly struck by how grown-up and feminine she felt in this outfit—worlds away from her usual timid, blushing self.

Meeting the captain's warm brown eyes, Momoka found herself holding his gaze in a way she never could before. As if the elaborate kimono styling had weaved confidence and poise into her very being.

"I'm really glad you like it," she murmured, ducking her chin to hide her smile. "I was hoping to look my best for the festival tonight."

Momoka felt her breath catch as a new thought occurred to her. With her heart beginning to pound, she drew herself up to her full height and met Kita's gaze once more.

"Actually...I was rather hoping to catch your eye," she admitted in a hushed tone, cheeks flushing anew.

There. She had put herself out there, just as she had in her message asking him here. Momoka only prayed she had read the situation right—that maybe, just maybe, viewed her as someone more than simply his classmate and the manager of their volleyball team. She couldn't help the brilliant smile that blossomed across her face, lighting up her features.

As they walked away from the school gates to the festival, Momoka nodded eagerly, falling into step behind him. An electrified silence stretched between them as they navigated the darkened streets.

After a few moments, she couldn't resist sneaking a glance up at him through her lashes. Momoka's breath hitched at the striking profile he cut in the glow of the street lamps. He looked devastatingly handsome tonight in his sophisticated black kimono ensemble. Momoka felt her cheeks warming at the thought. But, as selfish as it sounded, she wanted more. So she gingerly tugged at his kimono, halting him to a stop.

"I have something to tell you..."

A goofy grin appeared on Emi's lips. She couldn't help it when Atsumu complimented her. She did a small twirl to show off her pretty outfit as her best friend approached her. Showing off the beautiful design of her Kimono that she picked out. When she saw it at the shop, Emi knew that she just had to wear it. It just screamed at her, and it seemed that she was right. "Thank you~," Emi said, offering another small smile to her friend.

"I didn't know the gentleman was in your dictionary, Miya." Emi teased as she happily wrapped her arm around his. Leaning into him as he brought her closer to his side. A small laugh escaped from her. "Lucky for you though, I'm a generous person." Emi glanced up at Atsumu as they started to walk towards the festival. The sights, sounds and smells blowing towards them on the spring wind. Causing a small hum of excitement to fill Emi.

As they walked to the game section, Emi's bright blue eyes roamed and took in all of the booths. They really decorated everything nicely this year. Last year, it felt like things were a bit muted in comparison to this. Then again, she was with more people so maybe she wasn't paying as close attention to things. When she was with Atsumu, it just felt like things were brighter. More fun and unpredictable. "What can I say, I'm the best friend anyone could ever ask for," Emi said, just as Atsumu seemed to have found the booth he was looking for. Her eyes trailed to the booth and a small smile played upon her lips.

"You got this Sumu!" Emi said as she stepped to the side to give the setter some room. She watched with amazement as he easily won the prize. Her smile grew in amazement as she clapped. Then laughed as he placed the stuffed animal on her head. "You did so good!" Emi said as she placed her hands on the stuffed animal's legs as Sumu placed it on her head. A goofy grin playing on her lips. "Thank you, Atsumu!" Emi said as she looked up at the Setter. "It's a gift of mine."

Another laugh escaped from Emi as she brought the stuffed cat plush down and held it close to her chest. Hugging it close as she looked around for what they should do next. "Do you want to play another game or get some food?" Emi asked as it looked like they were in a cross-section and could go either way. "I'm game for both!" Emi said as she looked both ways. "Although, I do kinda want to challenge you to the koi-catching challenge," Emi said as she looked at where some people were trying to catch fish with thin fans.

----

Everything is a byproduct of the effort that one puts into something. Learning volleyball and practicing makes one good at the sport. Studying makes one learn a subject. Talking with other humans makes you friends or enemies. Yet, the emotions that Shinsuke was feeling for the pink-haired girl were not ones that the Captain was familiar with. How did they develop, why did they develop, and most importantly? Why was he feeling something akin to an upset stomach when it was just the two of them talking? It was, odd. To be simply put. He didn't quite understand it. Yet, his sister Mae seemed to have gotten a clue about everything and answered accordingly. Which, seemed to have made Matsuda-san happy. Maybe even giddy?

Blinking from his thoughts, Shinsuke looked down at the slightly shorter girl and listened to her. Being respectful and letting her get her thoughts out into the open. "Catch my eye?" Shinsuke repeated quietly as they walked slowly toward where the festival was located. Moving slowly so that they could enjoy the decent weather that they were having at the end of spring. Glancing out of the corner of his eye, Shinsuke saw the coating of pink dusting her cheeks as they walked under a street light. The way her lips were pulled at the corners softly to create a rare smile on the fair-skinned beauty's face. Matsuda-san looked happy, ecstatic.

Looking back forward, Shinsuke pretended to not see how happy she looked. It did things to his insides. Things that he wasn't familiar with but had heard about from his sister before he left. He wasn't an idiot by any means, nor was he an emotionless robot. He liked logic and knowing the reason for things. This, this was something that he couldn't wrap his mind around. Shinsuke didn't get why she would be blushing around him and seeming all shy. He was just a mere human after all. Just like her.

Feeling the slight tug on the back of his kimono caught Shinsuke's attention. Stopping, he glanced behind himself and saw the once-pink cheeks and a goofy little grin that was plastered on Matsuda-san's delicate face a moment ago. Was replaced with what could only be described as nerves and a tinge of fear. Two things that Shinsuke wasn't sure he liked the appearance of on her face. No, he was certain that he didn't like them. They just seemed wrong. They didn't belong on her sweet features.
"Human nature is a complicated thing. Isn't it?" Shinsuke said in reply to what the pink-haired girl was trying to tell him. Instead of looking into the deep purple eyes of the pink-haired girl, Shinsuke was looking up at the sky. His expression was unreadable. "We are all different, from looks to appearances." He continued. "We all speak slightly differently and react to things differently." This is turning a bit more complicated than he intended. "I don't know how to react to you sometimes." There, he said it straight. He didn't know to to act, what to say or how to feel about Matsuda-san. "I didn't reply to your email, Matsuda-san," Shinsuke said as he finally lowered his gaze towards the girls. "My older sister did."

Slowly, Shinsuke shifted so that he was facing Matsuda-san. "And to be honest. I didn't know how to reply, which was a first for me." He offered her a small smile. "It was kinda scary, not knowing how to put thoughts into words. It's something I haven't felt before." Shinsuke paused to let his words slowly sink in. This girl, is the manager for his team. Matsuda-san confused him. Someone who was at the top of his class, and who seemed to think rationally about everything. Was confused by a girl his age. It was mind-boggling to him.

"To simplify things, Matsuda-san. I like you, and I enjoy your company."

As Emi laughed joyfully while hugging the plush cat, Atsumu felt his heart flutter almost painfully in his chest. The pure, uninhibited delight radiating from her smile was absolutely captivating. He basked in every inch of her glowing expression—the crinkles at the corners of her bright blue eyes, her pearly whites contrasting her flushed cheeks, the melodic giggle that seemed to reverberate through his very soul. Emi as someone beautiful was a thought that he never entertained when he was younger because he was blinded by childish antics like teasing her affectionately... but in that moment, she was the most beautiful person he'd ever laid eyes on.

When she suggested the koi-catching game, the eager excitement dancing in her eyes made Atsumu's chest constrict almost overwhelmingly. He wanted to pull her into his arms and pepper every inch of her radiant face with fervent kisses—to worship her and her face reflecting pure happiness. But he did not want to break the status quo, it's not yet the time for that. They should just enjoy the festival first...

So he reined in the intensity of his feelings with a teasing quip and a teasing grin, looping an arm around her shoulders to tug her against his side. The floral scent of her hair enveloped him as he brushed a lingering kiss to her temple, savoring the way she seemed to melt into his embrace. The setter was more touchy than usual, and he enjoyed every single moment of being this close to Emi.

As they approached the koi-catching stalls, the blonde setter felt his competitive streak flare up at the prospect of showcasing his skills for the libero. He shot her a cocky grin, putting his hands on his hips like some action figure he had when he was younger.

"All right, Shorty, prepare to be dazzled by these lightning quick reflexes," he boasted with an exaggerated wink. "I'm about to put on a whole display of my abilities."

Stepping up to the pool, Atsumu rolled his shoulders and cracked his neck from side to side, getting into his zone. With a smirk tossed back at Emi, he grabbed the small catching pool and awaited the go signal with laser-focused intensity. When the attendant called out "Begin!" Atsumu's arm was a flurry of movement—slashing through the water with almost blinding speed as he attempted to scoop up the slippery fish. He could feel the familiar thrill of competition coursing through his veins, the drive to impress and succeed burning brightly.

But despite his quick reflexes and athleticism, every koi seemed to evade his strikes at the last second with an infuriating flick of their tails. The net also broke easily when he got the chance to seize up a fish. Atsumu gritted his teeth, refusing to be beaten by a few scaly suckers. After a final frantic minute, the whistle blew and Atsumu straightened with a frustrated huff—his pool lamentably empty. Blowing out a long breath, he turned back towards Emi with a sheepish grimace.

"Well...that was embarrassing," he admitted, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. Part of him had fully expected to easily crush this carnival game, so ending up empty-handed was a bit of a bruise to his ego. He was humbled, at least for now.

But when he met Emi's sparkling gaze, any sting of disappointment melted away instantly. In that moment, Atsumu could have cared less about his silly koi-catching failure. Preening under the warmth of her look, he sauntered over and draped an arm around her shoulders, tugging her close.

"Okay, I know what you're thinking... I admit defeat..." Atsumu sighed dramatically with his hand on his heart. He leaned in until their noses were almost brushing, a devious grin on his face as he studied the precious detail of her beautiful face up close.

"Tell ya what," he murmured huskily, gaze dropping to stare at the full curve of her lips. "Maybe you should give it a try and really show me how it's done, Emi-himesama... then after this let's grab some sakura-flavored mochi and find a spot for the fireworks display?"
IMG_0805.png

---

IMG_0797.png

"I have something to tell you..."

The pink-haired girl said as she tugged his kimono to signal him to wait and listen. Mustering up the courage to talk to him about it, the she had on his kimono tightened then she finally let go.

"At first, I was fine with just being your classmate. I don't even know if you have noticed my presence at all, as we don't really talk... but then being the volleyball manager has led me thinking to some complicated things..."

"Human nature is a complicated thing. Isn't it?" the captain asked, looking at the night sky as the spring breeze gently blew his silver-black hair. Momoka just stared at him, her thoughts running miles a minute.

"I agree..." was all she could say as Kita continued to muse.

"We are all different, from looks to appearances. We all speak slightly differently and react to things differently," he continued. She could just nod timidly, unsure where he was going with this logic.

"I don't know how to react to you sometimes."

His statement felt like cold water washing over her, waking her up from this dream. It was plain and simple, Momoka knew that she would be rejected right then and there. She braced herself for more, but she didn't expect his next words.

"I didn't reply to your email, Matsuda-san," he admitted. "My older sister did."

She blinked rapidly, her mind whirling as she processed this unexpected bombshell. The tears in her eyes were already welling up. All this time, she had assumed it was the captain himself who had so eloquently accepted her request for a date at the festival. To learn now that it was his sister's doing completely blindsided the pink-haired girl.

"I-It's all right, Kita-san... I apologize for aaking in such short notice," she tried her best to sound confident, but she was broken.

"And to be honest. I didn't know how to reply, which was a first for me. It was kinda scary, not knowing how to put thoughts into words. It's something I haven't felt before."

As Kita spoke about his uncertainty over how to articulate his own feelings toward her, Momoka felt her heart constrict almost painfully in her chest. She studied his handsome features intently, taking in the furrowed brow and slight upturn of his lips. For the storic captain to openly admit to such vulnerability and lack of control when it came to her. Yet in that moment, she only longed to soothe away his consternation, not revel in it.

"To simplify things, Matsuda-san. I like you, and I enjoy your company."

Steeling her resolve, Momoka straightened her shoulders beneath the elegant kimono. Drawing a calming breath, she raised her gaze to meet Kita's warm brown eyes steadily.

"Kita-san" she began, injecting every ounce of tenderness she felt for him into her tone. "I appreciate your honesty... that's one of the many things I admire about you."

She twisted her hands anxiously in the sumptuous fabric draped over her hips. "I guess it's my turn to be honest. The truth is, I've admired you for so long, almost from the moment we became classmates. I don't know if you notice but your high rankings push me harder to be a better student myself, so I did study hard."

A trembling smile curved her lips as she continued. "But it wasn't until I saw you in your practice games that I began feeling... more. You may seem cold sometimes, but... I think that's a part of your charm. I was happy I got accepted as a volleyball manager, but learning that you were the captain made it a million times worth it."

Momoka's cheeks flushed hotly, but she did not avert her eyes. "Watching you in that role day after day, I couldn't stop myself from falling for you more and more. You were strong yet incredibly dependable, I like it when you show that you care in your own subtle ways... like when you gave me vitamin water or when you lent me your jacket or when you offer to walk me home."

With a steadying inhalation, she slowly closed the distance between them until she could intertwine her pinky with his, she gained the courage not to let this moment pass.

"I like you too, Kita-san," Momoka confessed in a hushed yet ardent murmur. "So very much. You make me feel things I never knew were possible, in the best way."

She held her breath, utterly transfixed and full of yearning for his answer. No matter what happened next, some core part of Momoka knew she was irrevocably in love with this steadfast, compassionate young man. All she could do now was put herself at his mercy and pray he welcomed her affections as fervently as she offered them.

Last edited:
Had it always been so comforting being wrapped up in Atsumu's arms? Had it always made her heart flutter when he hung out with just her? She didn't know when, but lately, Emi has felt a sort of change forming in the group. It was subtle, but Emi could feel it and she had no idea what it meant. Rather it was good or bad, and it kinda scared the young blond. She didn't want to chance losing any of her friends.

As they got to the koi fish pool, Emi watched with amusement at how cocky her best friend was acting. A small laugh escaped past her plush lips as she shook her head slightly. Enjoying his display of confidence that he exuded at almost all times. "You got this, Sumu," Emi said as she watched him getting ready to try and catch a fish. The look of determination seeming to take hold of him as he focused on the task at hand once the go-ahead was given.

Brash movements disrupt the calm water, sending chaos into the fish pool. Causing everyone to freak out as they were chased by a paper fan-wielding high schooler who had no chill. It took a lot in Emi to not yell at Sumu to calm down. Yet, somehow. She managed to. She watched as it became clear he was getting irritated at the aquatic animals. At the fact that he was losing. It was clear, this wasn't a game that Atsumu was very good at. Just like last year if Emi could remember correctly. Samu had challenged Sumu, and the boys played for almost a half hour, with Samu coming out on top because Sumu couldn't catch a single fish.

Raising her gaze to the setter's dark ones, Emi kept her gaze on his face as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Arching a brow as she pursed her lips, doing her best to not tease him about losing. Her gaze flickering down towards his lips as he leaned down til their noses were barely touching. Her heart fluttered a bit faster than it was a few moments ago. She could hear Atsumu speaking, but his words were barely registered in her mind as her eyes flickered between his lips as his eyes.

It wasn't til a couple of moments of silence passed between them did Emi realize she needed to reply and she did so in the most Emi way possible. She stepped back and shoved her new plush into Atsumu's chest. "Fine, watch and learn from a pro!" Emi said as she turned away from Atsumu. She pushed up her sleeves as she moved towards the koi pond. The stall worker gave Emi a fan to use and then explained how the game worked before Emi got into position and waited for the signal to go.

The game was pretty easy if you understood the point of the game. It was all about patience and accuracy. Slowing her breathing, Emi focused on the game in front of her, only moving when she needed to. She locked her sight on a fish and easily caught it with short and quick movements once it was in the proper receiving spot. Then, she caught another. Winning two fish in her allotted time for the game. As the worker, bagged up her fist Emi looked at Atsumu and grinned. Giving him a peace sign before turning to the worker and thanking him.
As she turned to leave the stall, Emi saw a little boy next to her watching the fish with interest. He had been playing next to her and hadn't managed to win anything. "Do you want them?" Emi asked the little kid. The boy seemed hesitant for a moment since he was caught looking before slowly nodding his head. Emi smiled back and handed him the fish, which seemed to brighten up the boy's face. "Thank you!" The boy said before he ran off to where his parents were.

Turning back towards where Atsumu was Emi stretched her arms out for her cat plush. "Emi- Hime Sama strikes again," Emi said as she grinning up at Atsumu.

----

Silence fell between the two as Shinsuke listened to the pink-haired girl. As she spilled her heart to him and explained how she felt about him. Saying things that didn't quite make any sense to the third year, yet totally did as well. Matsuda-san seemed to have a better handle on everything that was going on. She already knew what the feelings were that she was feeling while Shinsuke needed someone else to explain to him what he was feeling. It was kinda insulting, not knowing what he himself felt.

Glancing down at their pinkies, Shinsuke kept quiet for a few moments more before he slowly raised his gaze and looked at Matsuda-san in the eyes. His lips slowly pulled back into a soft smile. "I think we should take things slow." He told her as he tightened his hold on her pinkie a bit tighter to show that he didn't mind this feeling.

"I've never liked anyone before, and I don't want to accidentally hurt your feelings." Shinsuke explained his earlier words. "Let's learn from each other, and figure out how this works at our own pace." He didn't mind spending time with the pink haired manager, so if she agreed to go out with him then he wouldn't mind getting some more one on one time with her. Learn about her, learn how to be a couple. He wanted to learn from her what it was like to like someone more then a friend.

The first firework of the night sounded, causing Shinsuke to turn to the side slightly and look up as the bright ash rained down on the city. "It seems like we've missed most of the festival. Did you want to try and catch some of the fireworks?" Shinsuke asked as he glanced at Matsuda-san and waited patiently for her reply. His soft smile stayed on his lips as he waited for her reply. Meanwhile, lights flashed behind them as the fireworks started to come a bit faster. One after another and lighting up the night sky.

Once he got the confirmation from Matsuda-san, Shinsuke turned to lead the way to the festival. His pinkie still holding onto the pink haired girl so that she didn't get separated from him. "There's a good viewing area over here that not many know about," Shinsuke said just before they were at the opening of the festival grounds, turning and pulling the pink-haired girl down an alley and then over to another street. Where he then took her into another alley where they were able to climb some steps slowly to watch the fireworks from the roof of a building. Not many people were up there, just a couple of other elderly people. "I usually come here with my grandmother. It's out of the way, so not many people know about it." Shinsuke said as he glanced down at Matsuda-san. "Is this place okay? Or did you want to go and move through the crowds to see the fireworks?"

Atsumu's eyes were utterly transfixed as Emi pursed those full, rosy lips and arched one delicate brow in challenge. The way her gaze flickered teasingly between his mouth and heated stare was absolutely searing. He could feel the thrumming tension crackling between them, electric and loaded with delicious promise. For a suspended moment, it felt like the entire world had narrowed to just the two of them—Emi's alluring eyes and tempting lips, the rise and fall of her chest, the soft puffs of her breath fanning across his face.

Atsumu's tongue instinctively darted out to wet his suddenly dry lips as he fought the overwhelming urge to close that infinitesimal distance and capture her mouth with his. He wanted to swallow her breathy exhales, chase the taste of her with his tongue, lose himself in her intoxicating softness. Atsumu blinked dazedly as Emi seemed to shake herself back to the present as well, shoving the plush cat into his chest with a teasing retort about showing him how it's done.

He couldn't stop the low rumble of laughter that spilled from his lips as she sauntered towards the koi pool with that sassy sway of her hips. Smitten didn't even begin to cover what his radiant childhood friend did to him. As the blonde girl captured two beautiful fish with her deft, delicate hands, Atsumu shamelessly stared at every graceful movement and look of serene concentration on her face.

This focused, capable side of her was just as captivating as her brighter, bubblier persona. The way she knelt by the pool, dainty fingers dipping into the water with utmost patience and poise...it stirred something primal and possessive within Atsumu's chest. He imagined those same elegant hands stroking over his skin with equal care and focus and had to swallow hard against the sudden constriction in his throat.

When the little boy's face lit up at receiving Emi's prize, Atsumu felt his heart clench almost painfully. Who was this gorgeous, generous woman who could so easily inspire joy in others? She was truly bewitching in the most wildly enchanting way. As she walked back over and struck that playful pose, Emi's radiant grin was like the first rays of dawn breaking through the night. Atsumu was utterly spellbound. Maybe he really was foolish for not seeing how attractive and kind she was all these years... pr maybe this is the first time he realized that he was in love with her all along.

"Well, aren't you just full of surprises tonight, Shorty?" he rasped, voice rougher than intended.

Closing the distance between them in two long strides, Atsumu slid one hand around her slender waist and used the other to gently cup her chin, tilting her face up towards his. This close, he could make out every ethereal detail—from the flecks of light blue in those cool ocean eyes to her soft pink lips. He sighed and wished to have her very image of wonder and delight forever stored in his memories.

"You..." he murmured, inhaling her sweet floral scent. "... are utterly amazing, you know that?"

Then, the pair wandered over to the food stalls. Atsumu immediately zeroed in on the sakura mochi stand. He did promise that they would be eating sweets when he asked her to the festival, so this was just him fulfilling his part of the deal.

"Oh, we're definitely gettin' some of those!" he declared, tugging her over. "It can't be the spring festival without some good ol' sakura mochi."

As soon as the tray of pretty pink mochi arrived, Atsumu grabbed one and held it up with a wink, letting her take a bite off his fingers. The setter glanced over to find a dab of sweet red bean paste on the corner of her mouth. Without a second thought, he reached out to swipe it away with the pad of his thumb.

"Missed a spot there, Shorty," he murmured huskily, holding her gaze as he slowly pulled the digit into his mouth to lick it clean. Chuckling lowly, Atsumu simply winked and threw an arm around her shoulders to tug her close against his side as they continued on.

Eventually, they found a good spot with a perfect view where the fireworks would be set off from, the crowd was building but they didn't mind. As the first fireworks began illuminating the night sky, Atsumu's gaze was drawn to the kaleidoscope of shifting colors reflecting across her enraptured expression. Her eyes were wide with childlike wonder, plush lips parted in an awed smile as she watched the brilliant bursts of light rain down. Every new explosion seemed to set her face aglow with a different vibrant hue—first fuchsia, then azure, vivid emerald, blazing citrine... and in that moment, surrounded by the dazzling pyrotechncs, Emi looked more radiant and otherworldly than any mere mortal had the right to be. Atsumu felt his heart lurch painfully in his chest at the ethereal sight, smiling proudly as he looked at her awe-struck expression.

It's now or never...

"This thing between us?" he murmured hushedly. "It means... everything to me. You mean absolutely everything. I've never felt this way for anyone before, and you captivate me in ways I can't describe. I thought that you were just my childhood friend, but I realized that there might be so much more than that. I just... E-Emi I think I'm starting to fall for you..."

He looked at her, expectant for a reply. Shaking his head helplessly, Atsumu surrendered and looked at the sky. His eyes caught the sight of the two demons who tormented him with rigorous training earlier, dressed in fancy kimonos as they walked to the roofdeck for a more peaceful view of the fireworks display. Later, as the smoke drifted away, he realized that maybe his confession didn't reach her ears. Throat constricting nervously, he ducked his head with his face red from embarrassment.

"Did none of that actually come out right with all the noise? I said..."

He shook his head, not wanting to repeat the sappy confession he told her in the midst of the pyrotechnics. "I said I saw Kita-senpai and Megane-kun! Were they dating?"

dde63563d9d66f1af8f1c6fdb6beb47f80fbac2f_hq.gif

Momoka felt her breath hitch as Kita met her earnest gaze directly after her heartfelt confession. Her pulse fluttered anxiously in her throat as the weighted silence stretched between them. When he finally spoke, suggesting they take things slowly, she couldn't help the relieved smile that curved her lips. Kita's gentle manner and thoughtfulness over not wanting to accidentally hurt her feelings made her heart swell with affection.

"I'd like that," she said timidly, a faint blush coating her cheeks. "Let us go with a pace comfortable for the both of us."

The idea of learning about this new aspect of their relationship together, at their own pace, resonated deeply with Momoka. She trusted Kita's guidance implicitly. As the first firework burst overhead with a spectacular bloom of color, her amethyst eyes was instantly drawn skyward. She gasped softly at the dazzling display, her face lighting up with wonder.

"Kita-san, did you see that?" she asked, enchanted. "It's so beautiful!"

When he suggested trying to catch more of the fireworks show, Momoka nodded eagerly. She fell into step beside him without hesitation as he gently tugged her along, their pinkies still entwined. Trusting him completely, she allowed Kita to lead them through a series of quiet alleyways and side streets away from the festival crowds. All the while, the kaleidoscope of fireworks painting the night sky in vibrant streaks mesmerized her. Finally, he guided her up a set of rickety back stairs onto what appeared to be a building rooftop. Momoka's eyes widened, taking in the panoramic view overlooking the festival grounds, fireworks exploding directly overhead.

"Really beautiful...!" she exclaimed softly, her face aglow with delight.

Tearing her eyes from the pyrotechnic display for a moment, Momoka beamed at Shinsuke. Without overthinking it, she slipped her hand into his properly, linking their fingers together. The intimacy of the simple gesture made her heart feel full to bursting. Leaning her head against the captain's shoulder, the pink-haired manager turned her face up to fully take in the fireworks. She felt content in that moment, cherished and at peace with the special young man by her side.

"Thank you for bringing me here... thank you for everything, Kita-san..."

No matter what their future held, she knew this incredible night under the starry sky would forever be seared into her memory. It was the start of something new, something vibrant and wonderful, between herself and the captain who had unwittingly captured her heart.

Last edited:
Was this a dream? Or a parallel universe of some sort? The feel of Atsumu's strong arm as it wrapped around her shoulders felt different. The feel of his rough hand as it held her chin and forced her to look up into his melted chocolate eyes. Emi could feel her heart starting to beat faster then it did earlier before she played the koi game. Her breathing seemed to slow as she felt like a sort of daze was coming over her. Like Emi was being swept into some sort of alternate universe where romance was in her future or something.

"Utterly amazing?" Emi repeated quietly, her eyes blinking slowly as she looked up at him. Trying to understand what he was getting at with his smooth words. Was he trying to tease her or was he being honest? Honestly, sometimes Emi just didn't get Atsumu or Osamu. Both boys could be so weird sometimes and she just didn't know what to do with them.

She must have been lost in her head as Emi followed Atsumu wordlessly as he led her to the food stalls. Her bright blue eyes taking everything in before landing on the Sakura mochi that Sumu seemed to have gotten excited about. When they got the food, Emi didn't think twice as the setter fed her the sticky and sweet treat. A happy smile graced her lips as she chewed the fresh treat. It had been forever since she had anything red bean flavored and Emi was determined to enjoy it.

However, it seemed that Atsumu had other ideas as he wiped her lips clean. Causing Emi to fall back into her confused and dazed sort of feeling that she had felt moments ago. Watching him lick his finger clean before leading her toward the field where they were shooting off the fireworks. What was going on? Why was he acting like this and acting like the main guy in a romance novel? It was so weird. So, unlike her Atsumu. Her Atsumu was always so brash and troublesome.

Looking up at the fireworks, Emi admired the bright colors as they danced in the sky. Bright pinks and blues, with some greens thrown in as well. They were all just so pretty to look at. Then, Emi noticed out of the corner of her eyes that Sumu's lips were moving and she only got the last bit of what he asked about the Captain and manager of his team. "We need to take a picture!" Emi said instead of replying to Atsumu's question. Bringing out her phone, Emi held it up as she shifted how she was sitting so that she could get a good picture of Atsumu in it. "We need to rub it in the other's faces that we're out having fun without them."

----
If someone were to ask Shinsuke what he thought about romance at his age, he would have told them that it was a foolish thing to be focusing on. He had school and volleyball to focus on, he didn't need another distraction right now. Yet, now that he had met Matsuda-san it felt like his outlook on the idea of romance has changed.

The pink-haired girl was just so sweet and innocent, she was like the yin to his yang. They didn't seem like they belonged together yet he could feel his own heart aching whenever she walked away from him. Or his heart would do this weird stuttering thing that worried him at the beginning but soon came to realize that it was the normal human hormones that drew a man to a woman. His body was attracted to the idea of being close to the pink-haired girl.

Lowering his gaze to Matsuda-san as she spoke. Watching as she leaned against him, a small smile played on the Captain's lips. "You're welcome," Shinsuke said quietly as he looked back out at the field of other fireworks watchers. His hand slowly squeezed the girls as he caught one of his teammates in the crowd. They were bound to be trouble once school started, and Shinsuke was well aware that he needed to protect the pink-haired girl now that they had agreed to be together. He didn't want her to be attacked with vicious rumors that kids these days spread like wild fires.

"Matsuda-san, please don't take this the wrong way," Shinsuke said as he glanced down at the pink-haired girl. Wanting to make sure that her attention was on him and not on the fireworks. "I would like to take things slow. I don't want to rush things, and end up hurting you on accident somehow." He told her, pausing for a moment so that his words could sink in. "I've never been in a relationship before and want to make sure you're comfortable with everything before we make things public."

----
Last night was fun, except for the part where Atsumu kept asking her about Momo-chan and Kita-san. What was she supposed to say to him about the two? She didn't even have a clear idea of whether they were together or not at the time. She had to keep dodging his questions and talk about something else. Or completely ignored what he had said as she pretended to play dumb by pretending to not understand what he was getting at. Ugh, it was so exhausting.

Thankfully, once she had gotten home Momo had messaged her and they talked about her hopes for the Captain to notice her. The little plan had been a success and they were not officially together, but she was told to keep it a secret. Which, was going to be hard because Sumu was a nosey person which meant that Samu was going to be bothering her about it as well. What a dilemma.

Rolling over in bed, Emi kicked off her blankets because they were too warm now that she was awake. Laying on her stomach, Emi reached onto her nightstand and started to click around. Seeing if she had any missed calls or emails before getting out of bed to head to the kitchen in search of breakfast.

Emi's PJ's

----
Usually, at this time Shinsuke would be helping his grandmother clean up breakfast before they watched her favorite shows together. Except, today she allowed him to leave early because his sister was home and she could help clean up after breakfast. After the festival, he had talked to his sister and told her about how he had plans to go to the city with Matsuda-san and his sister, Mae had gotten so smug as she told him that she knew he could get himself a girlfriend one day. Which, was why the college student didn't complain about doing dishes for once.

Standing at the train station, Shinsuke stood off to the side so that he didn't get in anyone's way. His warm brown eyes watched people walking about, minding their own business. A soft scent of sakura was still in the air as the wind blew the beautiful pink petals about. Reminding everyone that they would only be around for a couple more days before disappearing until next year.

Glancing towards the train station entrance, Shinsuke noticed the pink-haired girl approaching and offered the girl a small smile. "Morning." He told her as he met her halfway. "So, where are we going? You only said that you wanted to head into the city."

Last edited:
Emi was suddenly shifting in his arms as a bright idea seemed to strike her. Atsumu blinked in surprise as she whipped out her phone and started angling it towards him with a mischievous glint in her eyes. Grinning at her clear intentions, he shook his head in bemused adoration. Of course his Shorty would want to document this to tease Aran and Osamu for not coming with them.

Obliging her request, Atsumu leaned back onto and propped. Emi giggled softly and immediately shifted to plaster herself against his side, beaming brightly as she nestled into the curve of his body. Just before snapping the photo, she tilted her head up towards Atsumu with a look of utter fondness that made his heart stutter.

The image captured on Emi's phone ended up being one of Atsumu gazing down at her like she hung every brilliant star in the inky sky—dark eyes smoldering with scarcely concealed yearning and adoration, expression soft and radiantly besotted. Atsumu had never felt so deliriously, utterly captivated by another soul before. And he knew, with every fiber of his being, that he never wanted to experience life without the light of Emi's adoring gaze again.

The next day, Atsumu couldn't help but share what happened last night. Of course he wanted to rub in Osamu's face how much fun he and Emi had in the festival, but the younger Miya was still groggy from the concert last night and was helping himself to a bowl of cereal.

"Oi, Samu! You'll never believe what I saw last night!"

The blonde twin burst into the kitchen, eyes wide and a scandalous grin splitting his face. The silver-haired twin glanced up from the counter with a bored look, closing the milk carton.

"If you're gonna go blabbin' about whatever happened in your little date, I don't wanna hear it," he drawled with a bit of annoyance in his tone.

Atsumu scoffed, waving a dismissive hand. "As if I'm sharing my precious memories with Shorty. This is way juicier gossip."

Leaning conspiratorially over the counter, he lowered his voice to an exaggerated whisper. "I saw Kita-senpai and Megane-kun gettin' all lovey-dovey at the festival last night!"

Osamu's brows shot up briefly before his expression flatlined again. "There's no way the Demon Captain would be snogging our prim and proper manager like that."

"I'm tellin' ya, it's the truth!" Atsumu insisted, thumping the counter for emphasis. "They were cuddled up together under the fireworks, all snuggly and makin' goo-goo eyes like the biggest pair of saps."

Osamu snorted derisively. "Now I know you're just shitting me, Tsumu. Those two are about as warm and affectionate as a couple of icicles."

"Hey, I know what I saw!" Atsumu protested hotly. "You shoulda seen 'em! Megane-kun's head tucked right into Kita-senpai's neck like lovebirds!"

"Sure, sure," Osamu deadpanned. "And I suppose they started making out right there in front of God and everybody next?"

Atsumu faltered slightly at the mental image, shuddering at the thought. "Well... no. But the body language was plain as day, I'm tellin' ya! Those two are 100% dating and I caught 'em red-handed!"

"Uh-huh, whatever you say," Osamu drawled, turning back to his cooking with an eyeroll. "I'll believe it when I see real proof, Tsumu."

Atsumu gnawed his lip for a moment, narrowing his eyes stubbornly. "Shorty saw it too!"

Ignoring his twin's incredulous look, Atsumu spun on his heel and headed straight for the door. "We're going to Emi's place right now so she can back me up!"

"Like hell we are!" Osamu called after him in exasperation. But Atsumu was already out the door, intent on vindicating his juicy gossip even if he had to drag Osamu to prove it.

After pounding irritatingly on Emi's door, Atsumu barged right in when she answered, towing a grumbling Osamu behind him.

"Good morning, Emi-chan, I apologize for our intrusion," the younger twin said, fidgeting his hand on the handle of the pink paperbag he was holding. He thought of apologizing to his childhood friend for ditching last night so he bought her a box of matcha mochi with red bean paste as filling.

"Shorty! Tell this meathead what you saw at the festival last night with Kita-san and Matsuda-san," Atsumu demanded without preamble.

---

Momoka stared at her reflection critically, hands smoothing over the shapeless fabric of the olive green dress. She turned from side to side, lips pursing with dissatisfaction as the garment did absolutely nothing for her petite figure. With a sigh, she reached up to fiddle with the sleeves. The frumpy cut made the dress look like it belonged to someone's grandmother, not a teenage girl getting ready for a date.

But after agonizing for over an hour, trying on outfit after outfit, this was the best option Momoka had been able to find in her closet. Nothing else felt appropriate or nice enough for going out with Shinsuke. She had awoken full of nervous excitement that morning, fantasizing about dressing up prettily for her first real date with the captain. Momoka imagined donning a cute skirt or trendy dress, something flattering that might catch Shinsuke's eye.

Yet the more outfits she had rejected, the more her confidence plummeted. Staring at her meager closet of basic school looks and drab clothes, Momoka felt tears of frustration pricking her eyes. She was utterly unprepared, woefully unfashionable.

How could she hope to impress someone as sophisticated and refined as Shinsuke looking like a dowdy, unstylish little girl?

Despondent, Momoka sank down on the edge of her bed, the skirt of the ugly dress pooling around her legs. She picked listlessly at the hem of her dress, feeling utterly defeated. Perhaps this had all been a mistake. Clearly she was out of her depth, deluding herself that she was mature enough to be dating someone like the prestigious captain. Momoka was just a silly girl playing dress-up.

For a fleeting moment she thought of canceling, of coming up with some excuse to break the date. How could she possibly show up looking like disaster and not humiliate herself in front of Shinsuke?

But just as quickly, Momoka shook her head firmly. No, she couldn't back out now. Not when Shinsuke had agreed to this, to explore their relationship further. She owed it to both of them to be brave. Drawing a fortifying breath, Momoka slipped on a pair of plain flats and grabbed her crossbody purse and a cream-colored blazer. She wouldn't let her lacking wardrobe hold her back from this opportunity, no matter how self-conscious it made her feel.

With one last glance in the mirror, steeling herself against the inevitable mortification, Momoka headed out. She would face Shinsuke head-on in this frumpy dress, and pray he could see the girl beneath the garment's unflattering cut.

But before she went out, she sent a message to Emi, snapping a photo of her dress to show to her.

To: Emi-chan

Subject: Date with Kita-san

Emi-chan!! Kita-san agreed to go on a date, I hope what I wore is all right. We're going to the new mall in the next city! I hope it goes well, I'm nervous...

The pink-haired girl felt her stomach twist with nerves as she approached the train station entrance and spotted Shinsuke's familiar form waiting nearby. He looked effortlessly handsome and infinitely more put-together than her frumpy dress ensemble.

Drawing a steadying breath, she willed her feet to keep moving forward instead of turning and fleeing back the way she came. Momoka clutched the strap of her purse tightly, keenly aware of how drab and ill-fitting her olive green dress looked up close. When Shinsuke turned at her approach, a warm smile curving his lips, she felt her face flush.

"G-Good morning, Kita-san," Momoka managed in a subdued murmur, unable to meet his eyes for more than a second.

As he asked where she wanted to go in the city, she fought against the urge to tug self-consciously at the unflattering dress. Why had she thought wearing this was a bright idea?

"Oh! Um..." She rallied her scrambled thoughts with effort. "I thought maybe we could check out that new mall?"

Peeking up at Shinsuke through her lashes, the volleyball manager felt her flush deepening. How could he not notice the way this dress made her look years older and plainer than her age? It was all she could fixate on herself.

Tamping down her rising mortification, she asked with forced brightness, "It's just a fifteen-minute ride, I heard that there were really good cafes and shops there."

As if centring herself outwardly could help detract from her humiliating fashion choices. Momoka didn't hold much hope, but she kept her shoulders squared and tried not to fidget.

All she could focus on was getting through this train ride without completely dissolving into a puddle of insecurity and embarrassment before they even made it to their date destination. She prayed that it would be enough to distract both of them from her utter lack of style once they arrived.

It was too damn early to be dealing with what she had seen on her phone. She should have talked to Momo last night about that date or whatever she wanted to call it. Meet up with the Captain. What Emi saw made her want to take her eyes out and wash them with bleach. It screamed Grandma picked out my clothes for her. It was that bad.

So, since the morning seemed to be starting off crummy Emi needed to change that. So, getting everything out she started to prepare things to make herself an omurice. Which was something that she always failed at making look nice, but always turned out to taste great. It was the perfect pick-me-up for this horrible morning.

Cooking was always therapeutic to Emi, a good way for her to relieve stress and be productive. "It’s like skinny dipping in my jeans, you get wet but you don’t get clean." Emi sang quietly as she prepared everything and started to assemble her breakfast. Doing her best to be fancy but like usual she messed up. The omelet looked decent as she covered the rice, but as she tried to draw a flower on top the ketchup bottle decided to just sneazed all over her omurice instead. Making a splatter of red like a murder scene instead of a pretty picture.

"Ugh, I wish I was artsy," Emi mumbled as she grabbed a fork and took a bite of her omurice. As soon as her lips wrapped around the metal utensil the banging on her door caused Emi to jump and almost choke. Raising her gaze to the clock on the stove Emi frowned. It was early still, barely past nine. Who would be banging on the door so early? Emi had momentarily wondered before she realized that she already knew the answer to that question. So, swallowing her single bite of breakfast Emi went to open the door. Forgetting that she was still in her PJ's.

"What?" Emi asked as she was practically pushed to the side as Sumu stormed in like there was a fire on his butt. Her bright blue eyes widening slightly as she heard his question and then looked at Samu. Realizing that the cat was out of the bag, Emi pursed her lips as she looked between the two boys. "I wanna finish my breakfast." Emi decided to say as she left the two in the genkan. Heading back to the kitchen and leaning against the counter as she shoved another fork full of food into her mouth so that she didn't have to speak to her friends.

----

A small thoughtful smile played along Shinsuke's lips as he listened to Matsuda-san as she stuttered as she spoke to him. It was kinda amusing to the Captain, but he knew better than to tease anyone for something like that. He wouldn't want to be teased for stuttering after all, plus he had a feeling that the pink-haired girl was just nervous about this whole starting to date thing anyway.

After Matsuda-san's suggestion for where they should go, Shinsuke nodded his head slowly. "Ah, I heard about that mall. It's supposed to be one of the first in the area that has some outdoor shops as well." Shinsuke said before slowly nodding his head in thought. "Let's go. Could be fun to explore." He slowly turned towards the train station platform so that they could wait for the train that would take them to the area closest to the mall.

People buzzed around them, getting on and off different trains. Talking amongst themselves and just enjoying the weekend before school would start up once more for the younger generation. "I think this is our train," Shinsuke said as he heard the loudspeaker announce the approaching train. Stepping to the side, Shin slowly reached out to grab Matsuda-san's hand so that they didn't get separated in the crowd that was exiting the train before motioning with his free hand for the pink-haired girl to go inside before him.
The inside of the train was a bit packed, but thankfully there was one seat left open and Shinsuke motioned for Matsuda-san to take it. "It'll be a decently long ride, why don't you sit? I'll hold the hand grip." Shinsuke said as he glanced up and he grabbed the hand-holding thing that was near where the pink-haired girl was allowed to sit.

"Shin-chan? Is that you?" An older, crackly voice spoke up from the opposite side of where the two were at. Glancing to the side, Shinsuke saw an older woman who was about his grandmother's age. Short white hair, and a few laugh wrinkles under her eyes. It took the volleyball player a couple of moments to put a name to the face but when he did Shinsuke offered a small polite smile. "Ah, yes. It's been a while, Mrs. Yamato." Shinsuke said as a greeting as the older woman smiled at him from his seat. "It's been a while. Your grandmother told me about how you became the captain of your school's volleyball team. Congrats. You must be a very good player. So responsible as well." The woman started to ramble and then talk about a whole bunch of different things. "You must tell your grandmother thank you for the tomatoes she gave me from her garden. They were so good. I remember being in school, I met my husband by accident. That dress your friends wearing reminds me of the dress your grandmother used to wear all the time when she was younger."

The last thing that Mrs.Yamato caused Shinsuke to stiffen slightly. His eyes nervously shifted to the pink-haired girl before he looked back towards the still-rambling older woman who didn't realize how rude her words were. "Mrs.Yamato," Shinsuke said as he tried to get the older woman's attention and failing as he tried to get the woman's attention and have her apologize to Matsuda-san

Atsumu was practically vibrating with indignation as Emi so nonchalantly dismissed his outburst and wandered back towards the kitchen. Whirling on his twin, he jabbed an accusatory finger into Osamu's chest. The Miya twins were still not over their fight about their two senpais dating, continuing their bickering as they made themselves feel home.

"I told you there was something going on!" he hissed furiously as he removed his shoes, walking towards the kitchen where Emi went. "Since when does Shorty blow me off like that first thing?"

Osamu simply batted his hand away with an irritated scowl. "Uhh... always? Maybe if you didn't always barge in here making wild accusations before she's even awake..."

He shrugged, already making his way towards the kitchen as well. "You never did have any sense of timing, Tsumu. No wonder she's givin' you the cold shoulder."

"Hey, Shorty!" Atsumu squawked, with his brother indignantly. "Can you tell Samu here what we saw in the festival?"

By the time they reached the kitchen, Osamu was already situating himself at the small table near where Emi leaned against the counter, calmly eating her breakfast. The younger Miya playfully stole her spoon and grabbed a bite of her omurice that looked like a bloody murder scene, but he appreciated the flavor and looked at his childhood friend with a thumb up.

Narrowing his eyes at the innocent scene, Atsumu stubbornly stalked over and slapped both palms down on the tabletop, leveling his best glare on the duo.

"Oi, Shorty!" he growled in a tone that brokered no argument. "You've seen them, right?!"

To his immense frustration, he was just ignored by the two, with Osamu grabbing a spoon of his own and silently ate the omurice with her. His eyes couldn't help but linger on the way her plush lips pursed around the utensil. Dragging his gaze back up with monumental effort, the blond twin caught the silver-haired twin, watching him with that dangerously amused glint he recognized all too well. A loaded look that implied he was being an oblivious idiot about something, or maybe Osamu was just enjoying the omurice a lot.

In that moment, the setter felt the truth slam into him like a gut-punch. Emi wasn't interested at all and was just eating her breakfast. Clearing his suddenly tight throat, Atsumu straightened up stiffly, struggling to maintain his bravado. Osamu outright laughed at that, shaking his head in disbelief.

With cheeks burning, Atsumu managed a lofty sniff. If his exit was somewhat hurried and lacking his usual swagger, at least Atsumu could take solace in the fact that the only sketchy thing happening between Osamu and Emi was his own overactive mind playing tricks. As embarrassing as being the butt of their inside joke felt, it still beat the alternative of his younger brother and childhood friend dating. That mental image was enough to turn his stomach violently. Either way, Atsumu was cutting his losses and getting out with what little dignity remained intact. He'd just have to work extra hard to wipe those smugly amused looks off their faces next time.

"I'll get you proof!"

Osamu swallowed the food he was eating, smiling mockingly at his twin. "Maybe if you didn't always barge in here like a raging storm, springing wild accusations first thing... geeze, Tsumu, you never did have a lick of tact or timing."

Atsumu opened his mouth to retort, but quickly snapped it shut as realization dawned. His cheeks flamed as he recalled Emi's face and Osamu's loaded looks. Clearing his throat roughly, Atsumu straightened up with as much poise as he could muster. "You know what? Forget I even brought it up."

Osamu let out a bark of laughter at that, shaking his head slowly. "Uh-huh, like you're gonna just drop this wild conspiracy theory now..."

Atsumu pointedly avoided Emi's skeptically raised eyebrows as he threw up his hands in defeat. "I'm serious!"

"Suuure you don't," Osamu drawled, thoroughly unconvinced. "You'll be right back on this baseless rumor mill by lunch, I'd bet even my albums and posters."

"Fine, you're right. I'll get to the end of this. Just bet your albums on Megane-kun and Kita-senpai dating!" Atsumu snapped, feeling his cheeks burn even hotter at being seen through so easily. "I swear they are dating, or my serves will forever miss! I'm gonna get you solid proof!"

Osamu's skeptical huff trailed after him. "From where exactly? The Demon Captain and Miss Prim and Proper themselves? Good luck with that."

Atsumu didn't bother gracing that with a response, simply throwing a rude hand gesture over his shoulder as he escaped into the hall. After a few calming breaths, he paused and considered. Osamu had a point—if Emi didn't know or see anything, he was out of luck getting the scoop unless he got it from the apparent lovebirds themselves.

A mischievous grin slowly curved Atsumu's lips as an idea struck. Well, if he couldn't get the details straight from the horse's mouth, maybe their faithful manager would be more forthcoming as her expressions were easily read. Emi did mention being pretty close with her, after all they went to a cafe together during the spring festival. Turning back towards the kitchen with a determined glint in his eye, Atsumu called out breezily.

"Hey, Shorty... by chance are you and Megane-kun tight enough that she'd actually confide in you about any hot goss going on with her and Kita-senpai?"

---

Of course someone would point out how dreadfully outdated and ill-fitting her outfit choice was. Momoka wanted to evaporate into thin air in that moment, disappearing from Shinsuke's view entirely. Swallowing hard, she willed herself not to react beyond restless fiddling with the dowdy sleeves covering her wrists. She would not give in to the hot humiliation searing her cheeks by addressing the Mrs. Yamato's comment.

Instead, she attempted to focus on the gentle rocking sway of the train car, the muted roar of it traveling over the tracks. If she could just lose herself in the white noise surrounding them, perhaps she could retain a modicum of poise. Momoka stole another sidelong glance at Shinsuke as he tried valiantly to redirect the older woman's ramblings. His thoughtful discretion helped soothe the frazzled knot of embarrassment gripping her heart.

He would never dare to call her out because of the frumpy dress. That simply wasn't his way—not with his unfailing politeness. Momoka felt a small surge of gratitude toward the volleyball captain in that moment. As the awkward encounter mercifully wound down, she sucked in a fortifying breath and lifted her chin. Momoka refused to let one person's comments undermine her confidence further on this date.

With renewed determination, Momoka smoothed her hands over the dowdy green dress fabric. The pink-haired manager got her phone out in an instant, sending a message to Emi after feeling so embarrassed because of the older woman's remarks about her.

Emi-chan, sorry to bother you! We haven't even started our date but it's already a disaster! We met a friend of Kita-san's grandma who said that I reminded her of his grandma! I might need to change clothes! Please help me choose, I promise I'll make it up to you (⁠╥⁠﹏⁠╥⁠)

Lifting her gaze to meet his once more, Momoka managed a small, rueful smile despite her nervousness. Whatever came their way, she vowed to meet it head-on without faltering, and hoping that Emi would come to her rescue.

Sometimes, Emi wondered what she had gotten herself into when she hung out with the twins. They were just so high strong sometimes, and when they bickered it gave her a headache. Especially when she's trying to hide things from them because they're too damn good at getting info out of her. It's like they can read her like an open book! It was crazy how well they knew her little quirks. Then again, it was probably a byproduct of knowing each other for years, but still. It was scary how well they knew her.

Standing at the counter, Emi watched as Samu came by and sat at the other end, and took a bite of her food. A goofy grin appeared on her lips as the foodie gave her a thumbs-up. Having a compliment, even if it was just a thumbs up from Osamu was a rare thing. So, Emi was going to bask in the praise while she listened to Sumu's rant. Honestly, she couldn't believe that the blond twin was still going on about the whole senpai dating thing. Was it so weird that older classmen were dating? Even if they were a nerd and a scary guy?

"I don't know what you want me to say," Emi said as she took another bite of food. "I saw fireworks, you lose at catching gold fist and a lot of yummy-looking food stalls." She added after swallowing her food. Emi knew fill well what Atsumu wanted her to day, but she didn't see the two at the festival. Reaching for the box of sweets that Osamu brought for her, Emi opened it to take a mochi out, as she was hungry still and was letting Samu finish her omurice.

Biting into her mochi, Emi hummed in happiness as she chewed the sweet treat. Feeling in bliss as she ate her favorite sweet treat. Only when she heard her nickname once more leaving Atsumu's lips did Emi open her eyes and glance toward the blond twin. Her right brow arched as she listened to him. Her lips pursing together as she debated on how to reply to him. Telling him a lie would result in him ranting more, but telling the truth would get him to bug her for details.

Sitting quietly, Emi finished her treat slowly before getting up to wash the cornstarch off of her fingers. Then, she turned towards the twins. Her arms crossed over her waist. "What are you planning Miya?" Emi asked, her eyes narrowing slightly as she pursed her lips. Wondering if her best friend was going to use her to satiate his curiosity. Pursing her lips together, Emi sighed and slowly shook her head. "Yes, and they're on a date right now anyway," Emi said, giving up.

----

This was not how Shinsuke had imagined today to go as the older woman continued to talk. Acting like she had no idea what she had just done, but for all he knew. The older woman really didn't know that she had hurt the younger girl's feelings. The woman might have just tried to say that Matsuda-san looked good in the dress. Or maybe she was trying to say that his grandmother was ahead of fashion during her younger years. Or, something. He couldn't really explain anything to be honest.

Thankfully, they arrived at their stop and Shinsuke payed the older woman a goodbye before following the pink haired girl off of the train. Hoping that the change of scenery would be more than enough to bring the girl's spirits back up now that they were away from the older woman. Glancing down though, Shinsuke could see that she still looked like she was in her own little world. "Are you alright?" Shinsuke asked Matsuda-san. Curious as to whether she was upset by what was said or maybe she suddenly got sick on the train.

Glancing around themselves, Shinsuke spotted a little cafe and then looked down at the pink-haired girl. "Why don't we sit down for a few moments before we head to the mall?" Shinsuke suggested, wanting to get the girl's thoughts off of what the older woman had said to her. "It's a bit warm out today, so something cool and refreshing would feel quite nice right about now."

Holding his hand out, Shinsuke remembered what his sister told him. Holding your date's hand is a huge indicator that you are trying. It shows that you don't want to separate from your date and that you have a bond with that person. He wasn't completely sure if what his sister had said was true but Shinsuke really hoped that the pink haired girl would accept his hand and offer so that they could move past the awkwardness of what had happaned and just enjoy the rest of the date. They barely did anything, and he would hate for the day to be a bust already.

As they approached the cafe, Shinsuke saw a poster advertising some sort of book. Saying that it was going to be the theme of the drinks today to celebrate its release. "Ah, that must be a popular book." He commented as they stopped to wait in line to get into the popular cafe. "Have you heard of that series?" Shinsuke asked as he glanced down at Matsuda-san. Hoping that some light conversation as they waited would help perk her up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back