• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Hunters in the World of Forces -- OOC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

MythyDW

Five Thousand Club
In this world, there are geological regions that each have unique ecosystems; flora and fauna, foodchains, the works. And then, there are the forces: Massive creatures, living embodiments of nature. Each force has an area of influence — which can overlap with another — and within this sphere the climate shifts dramatically. Endless rains, biting cold, blazing heat, and constant winds are some of the possibilities that a force may bring. The large flora and dangerous fauna of every region is always quick to change, to adapt to the prevailing force. Their features and abilities change to suit the weather.

Humanoids live in a single, massive walled city found at the center of the regional convergence. From there they can reach any region, but they are never touched by the forces. Most humanoids will never leave the city, and many won't see anything more than the district of their birth — so large is the city. But others will see it all: those known as Hunters. One does not choose to become a hunter, the path chooses them. It begins with an empathy beyond the normal for the wild creatures who also call the city home, those that are considered harmless enough to be called friendly. Eventually they will find their way to the Citadel, where they find the weapon that calls to them, and begin to train.

Hunters train so as to venture into the regions, to slay the huge, deadly monsters and carve materials from them and flora. The materials are used to create better gear, but also given to the city to keep everyone fed, clothed, and content. But to be a hunter is not only to slay. For on a hunter's first hunt, a monster will seek them out. Then begins a battle. Either the beast will submit to the hunter, or the hunter will die. Should the hunter survive, the beast will be their companion for life — only rarely in stables rather than by their side in the field or the wide streets of the city.

The players will be hunters: Newborn, about to venture into their first region where they will find and bond with their companion. From there, this team will do what is necessary to further the survival of the city.
General:
-- RPN Rules apply, obviously
-- Respect each other
-- When it comes to it, the GM has the final word
-- Please keep topics such as IRL politics and religion out of the OOC. Feel free to chat about the RP and related, but keep hot-topics out

-- One post per week minimum, more preferred!
-- One paragraph minimum, more is nice!
-- Please do your best with spelling and grammar, and don't be overly critical of the same.
-- Please push the story or conversation forward in each post
-- Third Person limited, past tense is preferred
-- If you need to take a break or drop, please let us know
-- Please tag all players whose characters are interacted with in your post
-- Let everyone have a chance at the spotlight
-- You can add set dressings and details in your post so long as they do not contradict the setting I presented to the players

Characters:
-- No Godmodding ; Any character (including creatures) that is made by someone else cannot be controlled by others without permission from the creator. The exception to this rule is by the GM in combat, where impacts can send characters flying, or they can be wrapped in vines and pinned, etc.
-- Feel free to make side NPCs as both fixtures in the character's life or as small-time interactions.
-- Even with the craziness of the setting inspiration, please keep your character's abilities reasonable
-- The character is not the player
The walled city of Ocht'aa is the sole refuge of the humanoids, miles in radius. Found on the regional convergence, it stands as a safe haven from monsters and the chaos of the forces. With a region to every cardinal direction, and more beyond those, Hunters have easy access to anywhere they need to go. The inhabitants of Ocht'aa are of many races and creeds, but all are friends and allies with the knowledge that unity breeds strength and life. The city is cut into many walled districts, though the gates are always open between them. Wide, main roads spill out from the central citadel and snake around the city, thoroughfares to allow hunters and others to get where they need, though many humanoids do not often leave their district.

The citadel is the center of the city, where the council rules and where Hunters heed the call. While there is no known magic in the world, Hunters are not made: they are born. From a young age, animals will flock to them and they will be stronger and more durable than others their age. They will have an easier time getting around and understanding how things go together. Eventually, around ten years into their life, they will hear a siren's call to the citadel, something they cannot resist. They will meet the elder hunters, learn to fight, craft their first set of weapon and armor, and meet their future team. Around ten years later they will be deemed ready for the final test.

Tame their spirit beast, or die trying.

Should the young hunter survive meeting and subduing their destined monster, they will be a full-fledged hunter. Inducted into the order, they hold respect and sway to the common folk, but also have a responsibility to them. For Hunters are the ones that travel to the far reaches of the land, braving deadly monsters and unpredictable weather caused by the Forces — massive monsters surrounded by climates that drive adaptation — to gather materials from the land and beasts themselves. These materials are used to both enhance their gear and to Ocht'aa survive.

------------

Hey there and welcome to my RP! Feel free to chat and ask questions here, this is a friendly place!​

Aaaaaand the character thread is up!

Can you explain more about the siren call? Is it only on their mind or the citadel literally blare a loud siren that can be heard all over the city?

Can you explain more about the siren call? Is it only on their mind or the citadel literally blare a loud siren that can be heard all over the city?
It's a mental call, somewhat of a compulsion like is caused by the song of a Siren. It's only heard by a hunter when it's time for them to hear it.

Does that make sense?

It's a mental call, somewhat of a compulsion like is caused by the song of a Siren. It's only heard by a hunter when it's time for them to hear it.

Does that make sense?
Yesn't.
I realize it make things convenient to make everyone on equal level of experience and age with this method compared to using recruitment agents but it also make me have more questions about the true nature about the 'hunters' and this 'siren call', which can be explored as a plot point? yay.

Yesn't.
I realize it make things convenient to make everyone on equal level of experience and age with this method compared to using recruitment agents but it also make me have more questions about the true nature about the 'hunters' and this 'siren call', which can be explored as a plot point? yay.
Yesn't?

Hmmm... What do you mean by true nature?

Like all at once? What if our chosen creatures would live in vastly different places?
Well it's a bit more like they go out into a region and the creatures seek them out. Generally they don't take too long to find the hunter, so they should all be bonded by the end of the first camp

So question, how large are our companion creatures expected to be? Cause I'm currently trying to work through my sheet and I wanna know what is appropriate for the companion creature.

So question, how large are our companion creatures expected to be? Cause I'm currently trying to work through my sheet and I wanna know what is appropriate for the companion creature.
Not as large as most major Monster Hunter targets. More the size of like a dire wolf for riding or like Ace Cream Ace Cream 's chocobo. Does that make sense?

I just want him to be able to run vertically, like Road Runner
That sounds possible. Just make sure that the hunter can hang on! I mostly said that because I think it was Black Chocobos that are flying ones in some games

Users who are viewing this thread

Back