• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Hunt for the Thessalhydra (Stranger Things D&D)

Error 420

One Thousand Club
Sir Tristan, Sheriff of Hawkins, most honoured knight of the five realms, looks out from atop the towering walls of Hawkins, into the moonlit forest which seems to exhale darkness in the winter wind. His trusted eagle, Bloomingale, takes off into the breeze, not with his typical quarry of rodentia, but with a mission, to find heroes. While the old castle town slumbers peacefully below him, Sir Tristan watches the foothills of the Wabash mountains carefully. Beyond his sight, countless glowing eyes watch back, steaming nostrils blowing against the winter breeze, black blood dripping from one massive, gaping maw. Great evil is coming to Hawkins.

I recently received the official Stranger Things D&D starter kit, and I thought it would be fun to give it a shot. It's pretty typical old-fashioned sword and sorcery D&D, with a little bit of horror mixed in. It's going to be a pretty short game in the D&D 5e system, but you don't have to be a fan of Stranger Things or D&D to play. 3-5 players, play-by-post on the forums.

As for your characters, we'll be starting at Level 3, with anything in the official books (plus UA), with starting equipment as is written in the book. As for homebrew, Volo's is fine. Roll 4d6 and take the highest 3 for your stats, and you may reroll one set.

Xoco Sunfury's Firbolg tribe and family live deep in their territory of the forest bordering Hawkins. With all of the mysterious happenings going on, Xoco became fed up with her tribe's isolationism and ventured beyond the forest to Hawkins in order to track down the root of the reports of undead plaguing the land, as well as other mysterious reports. She is obsessed with purging corruption at any cost, using her druid powers primarily to burn and forcefully cleanse, rather than protect and cure. To her, the purification and preservation of the land is a cause that justifies any means. She follows the forgotten Circle of Twilight, an ancient druidic order that once preserved fate and watched over the boundary between the realms of the living and the dead. Though they are long gone, Xoco chanced upon a dark corner of the forest that they once guarded, and discovered Druidic messages and records that helped her learn their long-lost ways and become a Druid of Twilight herself.

She currently spends her days keeping a low profile among the populace of Hawkins, keeping a close watch on the city and spying for leads on undead or monstrous activity.

Sorry! I didn't save it correctly originally. Here you are!

Attachments

• Y'Menkos.pdf
    486.1 KB · Views: 9
Y’Menkos’ early years were marked with the typical tenants of monkhood- meditation, moderation, and temperance. He believes now as he did then that such strengths lead to a wholeness of spirit and mind- such beliefs were instilled in him since birth, after all. He and his fellow monks studied and worshiped the deity Selune, devoting their lives to her; this faith remains unbroken in Y’Menkos’ heart. As he grew older, however, he began to mistrust the ways of his monestary. He found it incredibly hypocritical that the monks preached messages of moderation whilst adorned in the finest gold his home had to offer, especially when so many could put that wealth to better use than mere decoration. His masters did not agree with his position, however, and for his insolence he was (quite literally) branded a heretic and ousted from his monestary (which had served as his home all his life). From then on he has wandered the world, looking for places in need of help and assisting them in whatever way he is able, in the name of Selune.

He had initially arrived in Hawkins as a resting point between another ailing city, and found himself called by his goddess to remain there. He is unsure why he remains, but has devoted himself to staying until the call once again presents itself.

Adron is a mercenary for hire who has lived his life by the sword. His father indoctrinated him at an early age, teaching him to be mistrustful of slick talkers, wizards, and anything strange in this world. As such he's illiterate and doesn't know what exactly he's fighting half the time. Instead he just knows someone gave him coins that are used for food and ale, to kill things that aren't human. He was traveling with a merchant's caravan traveling over a harsh desert before arriving at Hawkins. Although Adron isn't too keen on many a things in this world, ranging from socializing to recognizing ancient artifacts. What he is keen on, is noticing when people are uptight and anxious. It signals to him that something had to be fixed. Something he hoped to cut in half.

Error 420 Error 420 lol changed my mind. I was bored xD

Slurpee Slurpee Snek Snek still watching fma still watching fma I've made the start now that we have 3 people, which you may now post on (sorry, it's kind of a lore dump). If Emperor1 Emperor1 is still making their character, they can join shortly.

If so, here's my CS. I think Lucidian can be a nice addition to the team as Face and spell caster. The rolls are in the same place as fma and villain king. I would like to swap the Sleight of Hand skill in my background for the Persuasion skill, because it makes more sense with my backstory, hope that is okay. If it's not I can edit it. In short:

Lucidian was born a bastard son of an adviser. He spent his childhood admiring the various schemes and stories around a nobleman's court. When the nobleman and his father were assassinated, he hit the road, running various simple schemes. His fate turned when he met his partner in crime, and later partner in love, a powerful wizard. Together they ran an inception scheme, where the wizard would offer powerful people a chance to meet the sandman and have him do their bidding. In reality Lucidian would enter their dream posing as the sandman and feed some subtle suggestions into the wild fantasies of people. However, the real Sandman, an archfey who resided in the dreaming, took notice. He was furious about the impersonation. He appeared to Lucidian in one of his dreams and presented him with a choice. Lucidian and his partner could either fall asleep forever into an eternal nightmare or he could redeem himself by becoming his servant. Lucidian chose the second option of course, upon which the Sandman outright killed his partner. He also warped Lucidian's perception so he would never know whether he was awake or in a lucid dream and forced him to find new stories to make dreams out of. Lucidian now walks the earth in a daze, seeking out the stuff of dreams and nightmares.

Attachments

• Lucid DnD.pdf
    9.2 MB · Views: 1
🤔 I'm not particularly sure how to run a -1 int character, but I think the first thing he'd do is try to secure the fastest route to the boss. This means looking for a map or a person in town who knows if there's a road or a settlement closer to the monster. Also stocking up on health potions and other supplies for the journey as well.

I think Y’Menkos would also look for the fastest route to the boss, but he’s also already agreed to follow Xoco to find the twilight sanctum. He’d also be keen on checking if the town would require evacuation or not, given the proximity of the monster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back