• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Magical Expectations [HP 1x1] - Edric and Sponge

Initially, Dewitt wasn’t amused that the other boy seemed to derive such joy from his misfortune, a misfortune Dewitt was sure the boy had set him up for. But hearing the boy’s laughter was a welcome change to the previous tense atmosphere in the roomette. The sound of laughter filling the air was nice and Dewitt admittedly had to hold back a small smile. And although maybe the other boy had bad intentions, it was a good and funny prank, one that was relatively harmless. If there was anyone who loved a good prank, it was Dewitt, so he could certainly appreciate it in that sense.

“Goodness gracious that was the worst thing I’ve ever tasted in my life!” Dewitt said, closing his eyes and sticking out his tongue, the bad taste still fresh in his mouth. “You set me up didn’t you?” Dewitt asked, clearly not angry when he said this. “How could anyone find enjoyment in jelly beans that taste like crap?” Dewitt asked, not afraid to use informal, brash, and sometimes unacceptable language. When the other boy asked him how it tasted, Dewitt had to pause and think about his answer.

“I dunno how to explain it really,” he said. “I guess the best answer I can give to that is you know if you’ve ever barfed before?” Dewitt asked, using the word “barf” instead of something classier like “upchuck” or “vomit.” “Well it tasted like that! That nasty tasty you get in your mouth after barfing your guts out,” he told the other boy bluntly, sparing no details. “Absolutely bloody disgusting!” he said. “Do all wizarding treats taste like this?” Dewitt asked the other boy curiously.

"Aha..gross..don't kill my laughter by mentioning someone throwing up," he squinted softly in disgust but his smile hadn't washed off yet.

"These jelly beans are usually liked by older people. Whenever they offer you candy, you should politely decline. They usually pull out some gross suckers that were made years ago-- or, they pull out some jelly beans," He explained.

"Those old people can't taste much, so these disgusting things give them a kick."

Julian pointed to the plastic bag that held a handful of deceiving little jelly beans. It was a rookie mistake. Though, Julian was making a mistake as well. He was starting to get comfortable with the muggle kid.

His smile settled down as his face relaxed. The boy glanced out the window, trying to compose himself. His body swayed softly, joining the movements as the train jolted here and there, making some tight turns. There was one good thing to look forward to-- other than arriving at Hogwarts in a few hours -- it was trying his cauldron cakes! He hadn't had one since his cousin's birthday celebration. It was a rare treat. He couldn't possibly forget how delicious the taste was. In his hands, he began unwrapping the warm dessert.

Eventually Dewitt’s smile came through and both boys were grinning. The mood was a lot lighter now and the tension had certainly died down for the moment. Dewey snickered slightly at the mention of vomit. Puke was of course a disgusting topic, but for an eleven year old boy that was hilarious. Gross stuff was funny, it was a simple equation for a young boy. Dewitt nodded intently as the other boy explained to him that the jelly beans were typically enjoyed by older people. “Oh that makes sense- something to wake up the old coots, eh?” Dewitt asked with a snicker.

Dewitt had almost completely forgotten about their unpleasant interaction and exchange of words from before. There was a smile on his face and even on the one of the boy across from him- a boy who he did not know the name of. “Say, I never did quite get a name for you. What is it?” Dewitt asked, wanting to put a name to the face of a boy he had been sitting with for a little while now.

Julian watched as the other boy added to his statement. It was almost like he had completely forgotten about their whole fight-- or whatever you would call it. Maybe getting off on the wrong foot was childish, but they were still young and impressionable.

The boy looked back down at his small dessert and took a bite out of it. He quickly took a napkin from his coat pocket, patting his face for any crumbs. It was a habit- one that his mother had trained him to follow. If there was anything to focus on, it was to be polite. Talking with your mouth full or having chocolate on your face wouldn't get you anywhere, especially at Hogwarts. Everything is a test.

And now came another test, from an amateur, that is. The fellow in front of him was asking for his name. It was a simple question but it was something Julian didn't want to answer. Judging by the past half-hour or so, it seemed as if the stranger wouldn't take no for an answer, so he gave in.

"I'm Julian," he stated, before continuing with a straightforward tone, "Judging by how you've acted so far, I don't think you really care what my last name is. And, if I'm being..well.. honest?-- I guess I'll just come forward and say that I don't care much to know your last name either."

Usually Dewitt knew the name of a new person he had met the second he first started talking to them. It was a normal thing to do after all when first meeting someone, right? You asked their name. They’d gone almost an hour without knowing each others’ names. Although Dewitt wasn’t necessarily raised in a classy wealthy upper class household, he still usually introduced himself with his first and last name. But honestly, Dewey didn’t care much for formalities. If the other boy didn’t give a damn about his last name, then he couldn’t care less either.

“Alright then, Julian,” he said with a grin as he tested the other boy’s name out on his tongue. “My name’s Dewitt,” he said. “No last name,” he said with a small snicker, clearly joking. “Julian, eh? You’ve got quite a fancy name there don’t you preppy boy?” he asked with a playful grin. Dewitt briefly glanced outside at the rolling British countryside before looking back at Julian. It was nice to have a name to the face, even if he’d never see this boy again.

“Fancy? Not really,” he responded rather quickly, frowning at how cheesy the other's comment was. How could that kid not be embarrassed? He had already made a fool out of himself so many times. You think he’d learn by now to be a bit more proper.

Julian didn’t like the sound of his name being spoken by the other, whom he had learned was named Dewitt. His accent was just- so unsettling.. so muggle-ish.

“I guess it might sound fancy to you,” he said, sarcastically. Julian paused for a moment, seeing that the other boy had looked away in that instant.

“But then again, I’m sure a lot of things seem fancy to you— judging by your.. background.”

Dewitt was all smiles until Julian made a very condescending comment. The grin quickly faded from the muggle boy’s face as he looked back at Julian suspiciously. “My background? What’s that supposed to mean?….” Dewitt asked, crossing his arms and looking at Julian. He was back to realizing why he had initially had such a rocky start with the other boy. He was utterly unbearable, a prep school boy through and through. He was beginning to loathe this insolent air of superiority that Julian had about him.

"It means a lot of things," he said, with a glare. Julian had years of experience in being snotty. He knew what he was doing. The boy continued -- "Though, I'm quite sure a 'preppy boy' like myself can't explain it to you."

Julian hated labels. He didn't like being called preppy either. It made him feel stuck up. Well, he was stuck up, but that's because everyone around him was. How else was he supposed to act?

Julian shifted his body, facing towards the window as he looked out to the countryside flashing past them.

"If you don't mind, I would like to have some peace of mind before we arrive. Mind if we just cut this conversation short?" he asked, rhetorically of course.

None of Julian’s words sat right with Dewitt at all. He simply glared over at the other boy, wary of him. Once again the tensions began to rise in the compartment. Dewitt was foolish to think he could get along with Julian. The small happy moment the two of them had shared with the candy joke had seemingly long passed. Julian’s words only gave Dewitt a sense of rage bubbling deep within him. If he didn’t have any common decency, he’d sock Julian right in the face and knock his teeth out. Besides, that’s how guys settled things didn’t they? At least that was how they did it back at his muggle school in London.

Dewitt scoffed and rolled his eyes at Julian’s antics. Dewey didn’t have much else to say. He wanted to say so many things, rude things, but he remembered what his mother would always told him and he held his tongue. He wasn’t so sure he’d have this kind of restraint in the future though. “You’re an asshole,” muttered Dewitt, rolling his eyes and shaking his head as he looked out the window now too.

Julian wasn't deaf. Of course, he heard Dewitt call him an asshole. It was profanity he rarely heard but he was aware of how undereducated muggles were when it came to proper etiquette. They didn't deserve respect.

The boy grunted softly, annoyed by his traveling companion. Though, as he said, he didn't want to speak to him anymore. Instead, Julian focused on looking out the window. He leaned his elbow against the small ledge of the window. He saw his reflection through the glass and yet he avoided looking at himself. He hated his reflection sometimes. The outside had much better sites-- snowy trees with green bushels here and there. Everything was blurred as the train sped past empty wastelands. With each moment that passed, he was growing farther and farther away from his home. The idea irked him.

As the Hogwarts Train passed through a tunnel, flooding the roomettes with glimpses of small shades of light with darkness, Julian closed his eyes for a moment. It felt good to close his eyes and so he did. Sleeping seemed like the best way to pass the time. Plus, it would probably be best to get some rest before orientation at Hogwarts.

It was back to a tense silence and quiet animosity brewing between the two boys in the compartment. The Hogwarts Expressed rolled on and Dewitt, bored, looked out the window of the train at the passing hills and grassy fields. He wondered why for such a magical place they were taking something like a non-magical train for a multiple hour long ride to Hogwarts. But, this was because due to all of the magical protections around Hogwarts, this train was the only way to get to the school.

Dewitt and Julian did not talk to each other and Dewey really did his best to try to not even look at Julian the rest of the ride. Hours passed and Dewitt dozed off and and woke up again repeatedly but eventually, the train arrived in Scotland and pulled into the train station at Hogwarts. By now, Dewitt was awake and he eagerly looked out the window in awe at the huge castle in the distance. The night sky was dotted with flickering stars up above.

The train came to a loud and hissing stop. Dewitt then began the process of pulling his trunk out from underneath his seat, grunting a bit loudly as he did so. He didn’t really know nor care that Julian had been sleeping. If he had known though, if the noise of the train didn’t wake Julian, he probably would’ve been as quiet as a mouse so that Julian would be left on the train all alone and miss Hogwarts entirely. It was a good thing Witt was so focused on not looking at Julian.

As the train finally entered the train station, the wheels hissed as they made contact with the harsh metal tracks. The sound was brutal and the quick jolt from the train wasn't a nice way to wake up. The only good thing about being woken up so harshly was the fact that the boys had finally arrived at Hogwarts-- or at least they were a bit closer to being at the magical school.

Julian slowly opened his eyes. He yawned softly and rubbed his face a bit, regaining consciousness from such a long nap. He never really liked to be tired.

The boy groaned softly under his breath as he stretched, squinting from the small, dim light that was overhead him in the train roomette. Quickly realizing where he was, Julian peered at the boy in front of him. He was pulling out his luggage from underneath his seat. Julian was slowly waking up as he frowned at the sight of the other boy. He had to get out of the room fast. The last thing Julian needed was an annoying pest walking with him to the Orientation.

With that in mind, Julian got up from his seat and began dusting off his coat, ensuring that there weren't any wrinkles. He had to make a good impression of course. Julian leaned down and swiftly grabbed his bag without any trouble. He was used to riding in trains, especially the fancy ones.

Seeing as he was all ready to go, Julian slid open the cabin door and began walking through with his luggage in hand. He didn't owe Dewitt a goodbye, nor did he expect to receive one. Last he remembered, the muggle didn't like him that much-- which is what he wanted, of course!

It was completely unplanned but shortly after Julian got up from his seat, Dewitt had finally retrieved his luggage trunk from underneath the seat and got up as well. The two boys, now standing, both had intentions of exiting the compartment and getting off of the train. Dewitt didn’t really feel in the mood to talk with the snobby boy so he wanted to get out of the roomette as fast as he could. Unfortunately for him, Julian had the same idea. What ended up happening was both boys awkwardly tried to leave the compartment through the small door way, squishing together as they tried to exit at the same time. It was quite the awkward situation now.

Dewitt was in no mood to back away and be polite, letting Julian go out first so he was going to force his way and be the first one out. Given the current situation he couldn’t really leave at the same exact time as Julian since both of their luggage trunks were rather large, even if the two young eleven year old boys might have been able to get by alone. “If you’ll excuse me, you’re blocking the door way,” said Dewey, doing his best to sound as snobby as Julian. “Might I suggest backing up? Or is that too classy for a gutless rich boy like you?” Dewitt said with some attitude.

Julian furrowed his brows in concentration. He was more focused on planning out his next hour than focusing on the present. After all, he needed to have a good mindset for his big night.

Suddenly, as he walked out the doorway, he felt a small push as he was pressed against the wall on his side. He glanced over to the other boy who seemed to be in the same situation. Dewitt didn’t have enough patience to let Julian go first. Why was he even surprised at this point? No class.

“Yes, you are excused for being so rude,” he snipped.

Julian scoffed as Dewitt called him gutless. It was an insult he wasn’t accustomed to but he didn’t like the sound of it.

“Gutless?! You’re making me sound like a fish—,” he frowned.

Julian tried to push his luggage free, in an attempt to leave the roomette first.

“Ugh, just let me go first. You don’t need to be petty like this,” Julian said frustratedly.

Dewitt scoffed and rolled his eyes. The audacity of Julian to say the things he did was insanity. “Well you smell like one so take it how you will,” replied Dewey with some sass. He then felt Julian try to pull his luggage in an attempt to leave the roomette first. Dewitt scrunched up his face as the other boy told him to let him out first. Dewey was not going to let Julian go first and have this victory.

“You don’t own this train despite what you might think,” spat Dewitt. “Be polite for once in your life and step aside, I’m going first,” declared the muggle boy. “So move your arse,” said Dewitt as he made a gentle push to try and further himself and get out first. Sure, it was petty, but pretty much every interaction between the boys at this point had been petty.

Julian scoffed. He smelt like a fish? What type of an insult was that? A bad one to say the least. This kid really was an idiot.

Stuffing down his pride, Julian took a step back as he pushed himself away from the other. It seemed like he had to be the bigger person here.

“Fine. Go ahead in front of me. Get a head start for all I care,” Julian said as he placed down his bag before folding his arms with irritation.

“There, have your way,” he flicked his head forward with attitude.

Dewitt smirked, very satisfied with himself. It was a stupid silly small victory but a petty victory Dewitt was going to relish. He just grinned as Julian finally caved in and he left the compartment first, taking his luggage trunk with him. “Spineless, I was expecting the preppy boy to put up more of a fight but I can’t say I’m too surprised,” said Dewitt as he looked back at Julian.

Dewey then went down the aisle and got off of the train. As he stepped onto the platform, there was an unmistakable giant man with a big black beard directing first years towards these little boats in the water. Off in the distance was the large and ancient Hogwarts castle. “First years, this way!” Hagrid called as he waved some first years in the direction of the boats that were there waiting for them. The first years were instructed to leave their luggage on that platform and that it would be taken care of for them so Dewitt just simply dropped his luggage off and approached Hagrid.

“Four to a boat, come on now first years!” Hagrid said with a warm smile. Dewitt wanted to say hello to the half giant man who had helped him and his family learn of his magical abilities and of Hogwarts but Hagrid looked rather busy. Dewitt looked around for a boat to board, but they were filling up very quickly with students.

“I’m sure you have a lot of expectations as a muggle,” Julian said incoherently under his breath. He didn’t need to start another fight, nor did he want to.

Julian watched as Dewitt left. He then counted 10 seconds just to ensure he wouldn’t be following behind the twat.

Once he exited the roomette, Julian stepped down the long train hallway. Since it had taken him so long to exit his cabin, most of the train was empty. It took away the unneeded stress of almost being trampled by students of all years.

The students were then sorted and the first-year students were guided by a down-to-earth fella named Hagrid.

Julian followed the instructions given. He left his luggage down with everyone else’s. Now it was time to pick a boat— or at least a free one.

Julian scanned the boats, seeing that most of them were full. Without a second thought, he quickly walked over to the closest free boat there was, seeing that there were less than four people inside.

The young boy quietly sighed out of relief. He worked well under pressure but his nervousness was getting the best of him. Today was the day he had waited for practically his whole life! His nervousness overwhelmed him to the extent that he didn’t even bother examining who was in the boat with him.

As Dewitt scanned the water for a boat to sit on, he noticed that in one of the boats was Julian. The last thing Dewey wanted was to have any interaction with that stuck up rich asshole. Dewitt was going to avoid this kid at all costs if he could, so wanting to save himself from another unpleasant conversation with the other boy who thought so lowly of others, Dewitt quickly boarded a boat that had room for just one more. On his boat were two boys and a girl. He sure was glad to be rid of Julian. But for as much as he was trying to NOT be anywhere near the boy, he sure was thinking about him a lot in his mind.

Eventually, the boats began to magically move on their own, slowly gliding across the water. Dewitt looked up at the night sky and smiled, taking in the peaceful scene. The low chatter of first year students on the boat could be heard and Dewitt found himself looking at the stars that dotted the sky behind the grand Hogwarts Castle. As the boat slowly moved on the water, making it way to a dock that was near the entrance to the castle, Dewitt over heard a conversation between the two boys on his boat. They spoke in a hushed whisper as if whatever they were talking about was a taboo subject.

“Did you hear?” asked the first boy in a quiet voice. “Hear what?” the other boy asked. “The boy who lived- Harry Potter. He’s supposed to be going to Hogwarts for the first time this year,” said the first. “Harry Potter? There’s no way…. We’d be in the same year as the boy who lived?” asked the second boy in disbelief. “I think so,” replied the first, “Harry Potter is here,” he said. “Wonder what house Potter will end up in,” said the second. Harry Potter? Who was this Harry Potter and why was he the subject of hushed whisperings. The boy who lived? Dewitt had never heard of any of this at all. He simply ignored the rest of the conversation not finding it very relevant. But surely anyone who grew up in the wizarding world knew of the famous Harry Potter.

Eventually the boat arrived at the dock and a few older students were directing the first years off of the boats and leading them to the big front doors of the castle. Two large wooden doors were the entry way to the great castle of Hogwarts. Dewitt filed in with the rest of the first years in front of the big doors. There, an old looking witch with a point hat and emerald dark green robes was waiting for them. Her face had many wrinkles. She looked strict and stern yet so kind at the same time. Dewitt looked around briefly for Julian but didn’t see him, which he guessed was a good thing.

Once it seemed that all of the new first years had gathered around the entrance, the old witch clapped her hands together. “First years, welcome to Hogwarts. My name is Professor McGonogall. Once we enter through these doors we shall arrive in the Great Hall where the sorting ceremony can commence,” she said. The old witch spoke with a distinct accent. The doors then seemed to magically open without any cue and allowed McGonogall and the group of first years inside. Dewitt widened his eyes with awe as he looked inside of the castle. As they entered, Dewey could see countless paintings on the wall. As he looked at one of them, he could’ve sworn he saw the person inside of it moving.

They trekked further thought the halls and now Dewitt was sure that he had seen multiple paintings with moving people. He blinked and rubbed his eyes, not able to believe what he had seen. Of course, moving portraits were natural to those who were apart of the wizarding world and weren’t muggle born like Dewitt. Eventually, McGonogall led the excited group of little first years to another set of large doors. They too seemed to open wide magically without any sort of push, allowing McGongall and the group of first years trailing her inside a great big hall. This must have been the Great Hall. Dewitt felt it was aptly named. It was huge.

As Dewitt entered the Great Hall and looked up at the sky, his eyes widened as he saw that there was no roof. Not only that but there were hundreds, no, thousands of little candles floating up above and illuminating the room. “Wicked….” whispered Dewey to himself. He then went with the rest of the first years and gathered in a spot in the Hall as McGonogall told them to wait there. It was then explained to them all that they would be sorted soon and McGonogall went up to give a lecture on what exactly the sorting ceremony entailed. They were informed that there were four Hogwarts houses, each with different values. Each first year would be sorted into one of the four where they would remain for their entire seven years at Hogwarts.

Dewitt honestly drowned out the rest of the lecture as McGonogall went on, explaining the values of each of the four houses. A choir then came up and sang a song that Dewitt found very silly about an old magical hat that supposedly sorted each first year into a house. It was then that an old raggedy looking large brown hat was brought out and placed on a stool in the front of the room. Dewitt looked around the Hall and saw four long tables, each filled to the brim with older students, eager to see and greet their potential new housemates. “Everyone please listen carefully for your name to be called. When you are called, make your way up to the front and sit on the stool so that you may be sorted,” instructed McGonogall. “Remember, the Sorting Hat’s choice is final,” she said.

Behind McGonogall and the stool was a large long table where some adults were sitting. At the middle and in the biggest chair was an old wizard with a long white beard and half moon spectacles. “Ackerman, Evan,” called McGongall, the first name of the incoming students. Dewitt watched as a boy scurried on up to the stool and sat. He looked rather nervous to be the first one and McGongall slowly lowered the hat onto his head. Surprising Dewitt, the hat seemed to spring to life, sporting a mouth and some eyes. It even began to talk! “Ah! Yes, hmm, this one is loyal to the end and a hard worker to beat,” began the Sorting Hat. “I know, better be… HUFFLEPUFF!” the Hat yelled. Immediately, the Hufflepuff table, the house with the yellow and black colors with the badger logo, erupted into cheer.

The Evan Ackerman boy smiled and hopped off the stool as the hat was lifted from his head. He then went to go join his new housemates at the Hufflepuff table. This sorting thing didn’t seem so bad, thought Dewitt. The only thing that seemed rather daunting was the fact that he would be up in the front of the room with all eyes on him for about a solid minute or two. Dewey in all honesty didn’t care what house he was sorted into. To be fair though, this was mostly because he had absolutely no clue what the whole Hogwarts houses deal was. So, he waited patiently for McGonogall to get through the rest of the A last names.

Julian’s boat left not long after it was full. The four students within the boat were instructed to sit still. That’s when the magic happened. Hagrid, in his boat, led forward, and within an instant, the boats began to follow.

The moonlight shimmered over the calm yet creepy lake tide. It was a quiet night, lit by the moon and the lanterns from the students’ boats. Everything seemed perfect. It seemed magical.

It didn’t take long for the students to arrive on the other side of the lake. Chatter filled the air once more as the first years continued to follow their guide. The Hogwarts Castle grew larger with each step. Its sharp tops looked wicked while the bricks stacked one by one held to their old age. It was a sight to see, and Julian was elated just to be in such a magical presence.

-

Once inside the spectacular castle, the decorations were nothing less than spectacular. There was so much history— everything looked like a masterpiece waiting to be discovered.

However, the greatest part had not yet arrived. Julian and the rest of the first-year students were creeping closer to their final hour of being sorted into a Hogwarts house! It was probably one of the most anticipated moments for a young witch or wizard attending the school. People had high expectations while others were just clueless about their future. The excitement among first-years hadn’t died down yet, which caused Julian to crack a small smile here and there. He couldn’t contain his joyful nervousness.

And soon it began- The Sorting Ceremony! It would be a while until his name would be called. But, patience was one of his many virtues.

Dewitt continued to stand with the rest of the group of equally excited and equally nervous first years that had been yet to be sorted. With the A last names reaching their end, it would be any moment before McGonogall would reach the B last names. Dewey’s last name being “Bayswater” would most likely put the boy as one of the first if not the very first B last name. Soon, the last A last name was called and sure enough, a familiar sounding name was called as the first among students with a last name starting with the letter B. “Bayswater, Dewitt!” Professor McGonogall called out. Dewitt’s heart began to race and pound out of his chest. He gulped nervously as he stepped out of line and approached the front of the room. He felt thousands of sets of eyes on him in that very moment, and he didn’t like all that attention too much. He briefly looked back at all of the first years and made eye contact with Julian for a short second before turning around.

The muggle born boy saw McGonogall give him a very small nod and smile as he came up to the stool and sat on it. He felt highly uncomfortable seeing the eyes of ever since student in the Great Hall on him in that very moment. McGonogall slowly lowered the Sorting Hat onto Dewitt’s head and Dewitt closed his eyes shut tight. The Sorting Hat instantly animated and came to life upon being put onto Dewey’s head. “Ah! A very courageous young one indeed, borderline reckless….”’the Hat said, “Fiercely loyal and true to their values…” it went on. “I know where you’ll fair well…. Better be….” the Hat said, pausing before making its final decision. “GRYFFINDOR!” the Sorting Hat shouted loudly. Immediately, the Gryffindor table erupted into loud cheers.

Dewitt opened his eyes and grinned proudly as McGonogall took the hat off of his head and the boy hopped off the stool, scurrying down to the Gryffindor table to join his new fellow housemates. As Dewitt arrived, he was greeted with various congratulations from his fellow Gryffindors as well as high fives, fist pumps, and pats on the back. Dewey felt like a local celebrity for those fourth five seconds or so until he went all the way down the the end of the Gryffindor table and sat down. There had only been two or three new Gryffindors so far so the end of the table where all the first years would be was rather empty as of now. Now, all Dewitt had to do was wait patiently for the rest of the Sorting Ceremony to finish. They still had a long way to go. And as much as Dewey told himself not to think about Julian, he still was curious as to where the boy would be sorted. He hoped it wasn’t Gryffindor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back