Advice/Help How to Start RPing 1x1

SkyGinge

Sad Shroom
Hey guys, just an old timer popping in for some advice.

I started RPing almost seven years ago, inspired by discovering that collaborative writing like this was a thing on a backwater forum for a very specific gaming interest. Since then, my time in RPing (though infrequent over the past few years) has been spent almost entirely in group RPs. I've tried 1x1s on a few occasions, but all attempts haven't really gotten off of the ground (the first due to my partner contributing very little and hence me losing motivation, the second because my partner became suddenly very unwell, and the third time due to my own health). I'm at a stage now where I feel the 1x1 format would be better for me (and I'm tired of putting loads of effort into group RPs only to see them die within weeks), but as I've never really done anything lasting in the format, I have a number of questions about how things are normally done.

• Plotting: With Group RPs, the RP creator is usually quite clearly in control of the overarching plot, and whilst other people can pull the story in different directions, ultimately one person is definitely leading the story and the group as a whole. Furthermore, as much of the discussion is often carried out in OOC you can look in as an outsider on how matters are conducted and learn what works well. With 1x1, most people communicate by PM so I really have no point of reference for this. From your experiences...
    • How much plotting/fleshing out/preparation is normally done ahead of starting the RP?
      • In terms of structure, lore, characterisation.
    • How much plotting information is withheld from the other player?
      • I like the idea of there being surprises, but how are these surprises normally handled?
    • Is control of overarching plot and direction normally in the hands of both players? And how much ongoing discussion is there concerning this?
  • How are character sheets normally handled? Like, do you bother at all? Are they there for formality's sake to consolidate characterisation ideas discussed together?
  • A wider question: Any other advice you think would be helpful to know ahead of jumping in?
Thanks all!

Alright, so let's get first to the overall idea, because I think it will help contextualize the other answers. Basically, when going from group to 1x1, what you'll find is that it is a much more intimate, personal type of relationship. It's the difference between being coworkers in a company and the relationship between tutor and student or personal trainer and trainee, to try to use "professional" examples... Basically, both can develop relationships with tying factors of a common objective, but one remains centered on that objective while the other grows parallel to it.

To narrow it to the roleplay specific, perhaps the biggest difference is that what ties you together in a group roleplay is the roleplay itself, but in an 1x1 it's the partnership.

Choosing who to make this partnership with is the quintissential aspect of 1x1 searches. More than the right idea you want to find the right person to match your style and the like. Get the wrong person and nomatter how good the idea your partnership is likely doomed. Get the right person and you may find yourself enjoying ideas you never ever thought you would.

That, in turn, makes 1x1 RP a much more customizable experience if you will, you're looking for people that specifically would go well with your style and preferences which means that for almost any question the answer will be "it depends on what you arrange with your partner". You can find a partner for almost any style and for pretty much any non-fandom thing (note: being possible and actually happening are two different things), but that also means there is that kind of diversity.

Still, any partner that knows how to make a half-decent interest check will generally indicate their preferences and be willing to answer on those they didn't share right away.

How much plotting/fleshing out/preparation is normally done ahead of starting the RP?
  • In terms of structure, lore, characterisation.
So, starting right off, it depends on what you arrange with your partner. The most common seems to be that people discuss what is meant to be the premise fo the RP + who the characters will be.

On the other hand, a planner by nature like me will squeeze out as much planning as my partner is willing to work with, right down to planning scenes in detail if they are also on board. I like to worldbuild, establish things as much as possible, and generally follow a principle of having as much set up as I can get so that it then can all pay off spectacularly when we start to roleplay.

How much plotting information is withheld from the other player?
  • I like the idea of there being surprises, but how are these surprises normally handled?
The basic of basics to expect is that character-related matters are kept hidden. Specific plot arcs generated by one player are often kept in the dark from the other, while shared arcs are more open. With that said...

It depends on what you arrange with your partner.

Some partners want everything kept in the dark. Some partnership arrangements (like those were one player plays the GM) in particular have one player keep in the dark while the other is very open. Then there are paranoid planner peeps like me who like to have it all very open at least as far as establishing elements like characters go.

Is control of overarching plot and direction normally in the hands of both players? And how much ongoing discussion is there concerning this?
Yes and ...

It depends on what you arrange with your partner.

As I mentioned above, there are for instance (even if very very rare) instances of players who make interest checks for one to GM the other's adventure.

How are character sheets normally handled? Like, do you bother at all? Are they there for formality's sake to consolidate characterisation ideas discussed together?
There is a character sheet normally, that both players agree to, and you make characters just like usual. Difference is the players both kinda have the power to veto the other by refusing to play given certain characters. So there is a need for discussion if one doesn't feel the other's character works for them. But this very rarely happens.

That said, again, there are partners who simply don't like or don't bother using character sheet, and there is plenty of variance between character sheet sizes and rules (I for one don't like ambiguity/vagueness in character sheets and tend to ask for fairly complex ones).

A wider question: Any other advice you think would be helpful to know ahead of jumping in?

Yes. first:

and I'm tired of putting loads of effort into group RPs only to see them die within weeks
If you have the idea that this will stop happening in 1x1s, I highly encourage you to drop it. The death of RPs is extremely common in 1x1s as well, even within short time spans. Going in expecting this not to happen is just going to hurt you with the disappointment and frustration.

I encourage that rather than trying to escape the fact RPs die, that you find a method to cope with it. I, for one, do so by trying to give value to my work individually, be it posts, CSs or whatever else, so that I may be proud of it and not regret spending the time to do it, even if it goes nowhere.

Second:

I do have a couple of threads that may help get some concepts getting started.

This one is about making a good 1x1 interest check. While it is also applicable for group RPs, it had primarily in mind 1x1 interest checks. Tutorial - Principles of A Good Interest Check

This one is an explanation of what I mean when I speak of the simple, casual and detailed mindsets, and essentially the concept I explain is that there are different mindsets with different values in writing that generate these styles. Finding where you fit in should help you figure out what kind of requirements and such to put out there for yourself.

Alright, hope this was useful. Best of luck and happy RPing!

So as sort of a collective answer to all your questions.

1x1s are like groups in that there is no one way to go out about them. Just as there are some groups that have minimal planning and fast paced replies and there are other groups that have a lot of lore and slower replies. The same is true for 1x1s.

So when starting 1x1 roleplays here are a few things you need to know about YOURSELF.

1. What kind of roleplay do you like? Do you like world building or do you like characterization? Do you want to spend time on the plot or kind of wing it as you go?

2. How much time can you dedicate to the roleplay? Be VERY honest with yourself about this. If you have a schedule that shifts constantly be prepared to inform your partner of this. If you need fast replies to keep interested again let your partner know.

3. Be able to communicate clearly and confidently. With 1x1s it's all about building that bond with the other person. You want them to be excited about the roleplay and you also want to be able to give them clear direction in terms of your wants and needs. If you are the kind of person that struggles to speak up for yourself you are not going to like 1x1s.

As to specific questions about things like character sheets, plots, etc. honestly all of that is discussed with your partner. There isn't one specific way of doing things and every individual will have their own preference.

When it comes to interest checks what you need to do (after going through the three points above) is basically put in the following information

ABOUT YOU
- how often you can reply
- how long are your replies
- what your looking for in terms of pairings
- what your looking for in terms of world building
- any deal breakers you have (ex. no incest or gay relationships or whatever)

ABOUT YOUR PARTNER
- how often you want them to reply
- how long you want their replies to be
- do you want them to help with plotting/world building

YOUR IDEAS
- basically whatever ideas or pairings your interested in roleplaying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back