Advice/Help How to Run Group RPs

MisterMustachio

I'm new to RpNation, and I'm wondering how y'all run group RPs.

I have a lot of experience running TTRPGs as a GM, and have done very short format RP sessions on some games, but nothing long-running. I'm curious as to how I should go about actually running a group RP where everybody is equally contributing to the story and narrative and deciding their own outcomes.

As someone who has been the GM of group forum RPs, I don't really think there is much to it. What makes being the GM of a forum RP easier than a TTRPG is that the GM is also a player, folks can post at their pace, and there is less prep work to be done. As far as RP storylines go, I provide a simple premise, throw breadcrumbs of plot, then shoot off the cuff for the rest. Since the players are heavily involved in the creation of the story, I don't feel the need to be 5 steps ahead of them all the time, and their contributions help inspire me to come up with plots to push the game along. For the most part, I'm pretty hands-off as a GM and really only flex my authority when I have to be the referee.

I've been the GM of forum RPs and scenes in MMORPGs, so here are some things I've learned from my experiences:

1. You have to be confident and firm in your boundaries. You have to be able to say no, and you have to be able to handle conflict. I've been in many RPs that have fallen apart and died because of weak GMs that let problem players walk all over them and drive the decent players away.

2. Remember that we are all playing Virtual Barbie. A lot of people get way too invested into RP to the point that it consumes them and you get problems. This is the internet, and the anonymity that the internet provides people can encourage them to be real jerkwads. You have to not let such things bother you. Throughout my many years of RPing on the internet, I have experienced things such as people trying to discourage others from RPing with me by spreading false rumors about being a bully, or an -istaphobe, or whatever, all because I have committed the crime of not RPing the way someone thinks I should, or maybe I shared a meme and someone got their panties in a twist over it. Once, a person threatened to report me to mods over bullying a player out of a MMORPG RP community, and I still have no idea who that person or the person I supposedly bullied out of the game were. Never bumped into them in-game, never interacted with them. I just took screenshots, made a report to the mods, and carried on with my day. I'm still here, I'm still RPing, and I still go offline to work at my job and engage in my offline hobbies. It's not a big deal. It's Virtual Barbie; it's not worth your happiness and mental health.

3. As a GM, I try to maintain some distance from my players. I generally keep my personal life to myself. I'm not going to share my social media with my players, and I refuse to create a separate Discord for my RPs. I'd rather keep all RP on a public forum where everyone can see it. I occasionally share a link to my game/movie streaming Discord, but that is all it is used for. I find this to be a good way to protect myself and my players.

4. Communicate with your players. It's perfectly fine to ask your players their thoughts on your GM skills, or to brainstorm plots in PMs. I get a lot of my RP ideas just from conversations in the OOC threads.

This all was already very helpful in pushing through a few misconceptions, but I still would like a bit of clarification on an issue or two.
Specifically, in an RP in which NPC interaction is common and expected, would I as the GM be responsible for controlling them?

In terms of NPCs, I always approach them in way that if they are important and used for throwing bits of your plot then the GM should be the one responsible for controlling them unless the GM has given that permission to another player. Smaller, less important NPCs that are only there to temporarily aid characters in minor ways don't need to be GM controlled. What you consider important and not important is something you need to establish as a GM. Of course if a player oversteps don't be afraid to confront them. Communicating is very important after all!

Thanks! But how does this apply to me if I'm also playing a character, and not just NPCs? I guess that also applies to general plot progression as well.

I think you're heavily over-thinking things. If you need a minor character to show up, just write them in then take them out when you're done. No biggie! I've no problem with players bringing in NPCs of their own so long as they're not disruptive to the game.

A good example: One of your players wrote a post about their PC craving apple pie so they go to a bakery in town. They may RP the baker in that scene. Maybe after buying the pie and stepping out of the bakery, the player then writes that a thief snatches the pie and runs off toward the town slums. They may control the thief. This is no problem as this is the player's own scene, it doesn't overstep boundaries, and isn't disruptive.

A bad example: You as the GM, have established what the RP's McGuffin is, what it does, and how it pertains to the RP's overall plot through your own NPCs. Later, when the players managed to obtain said McGuffin, one of your players brings in an old sage to explain that the magical McGuffin is actually something else entirely and that the BBEG is really just a pawn to another villain. Doing something like this can change the entire course of the RP and the player did this without your input as a GM.

I'm not sure that I was clear with my question, but I mean what if I, as the GM, am also playing as my own PC in the group? Is that considered a big no-no, or is that typical?

I bring in NPCs while being a GM and a player. I do it a lot! It's necessary with forum RP.

I highly recommend reading through some Group RPs here to get an understanding of things. Maybe join a Group RP yourself?

Joining a group RP if definitely something I want to do, but it turns out my tastes are slightly niche on here, which is why I'm considering cretaing onr at the moment.

I'm not sure that I was clear with my question, but I mean what if I, as the GM, am also playing as my own PC in the group? Is that considered a big no-no, or is that typical?
GMs typically seem to have characters in their RPs here, yeah!
You can also browse other group RPs if you want some examples of GMing. That might be helpful.

I have a lot of experience running TTRPGs as a GM, and have done very short format RP sessions on some games, but nothing long-running. I'm curious as to how I should go about actually running a group RP where everybody is equally contributing to the story and narrative and deciding their own outcomes.

It's not a big deal but one problem specific to forum rps is that if you have more than 4 players interacting with each other in close proximity things tend to get messy. Especially if you are writing longer posts. For example, if each of those 5 players adds just two lines of dialogue that's 8 lines each character cannot immediately respond to (assuming you are taking turns to let everyone respond).

Also most forum rps don't last long so I would say don't plan ahead too far. Just focus on keeping momentum going right now. It is a good thing if your rp lasts long enough for lack of direction or consistency in the narrative to become a problem. But you need to get there first.

Make sure each scene has something for people to do. It is a good sign when your players are actively introducing npcs and creating problems for themselves to solve because it means you don't have to worry as much about keeping them engaged.

Last edited:
i dont

I dont know. I have one but no one joins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back