Advice/Help How to keep RPs interesting?

There is no way to prevent it. It happens to everyone.

I recommend instead having a policy in place to handle it when it does.

As an example I will wait three days between replies. I will usually send you a message (ex. hey are you okay?) on the third day.

If I get no reply than the roleplay goes hiatus and I start searching for new partners. If the person comes back within two weeks than we pick up where we left off no worries. If they don’t come back I delete the PM to clean up my inbox

Like the above poster said, there's really no way to prevent it. But I just try to be extremely patient and understanding, and that usually makes things a bit easier. Doesn't mean it doesn't still crush my soul when it does happen, but if you try to maintain an open dialogue and keep things pressure-free, you might have a little better luck. Just be patient with people. (I've also had to remind myself to be less clingy, too. But that might just be me.)

There is no way to prevent it from happening, it happens to everyone, whether they like it or not.
The best way to prevent this is to choose your partners carefully, ask their schedule and see if it could match up with yours. If it's on the other side of the world, such as Australia and such, it's probably not the best idea (no offense to Aussie, I respect them) to role play with them with someone from, let's say, the us. It couldn't fit.

Make sure they are comfortable with role-playing with someone older or younger before doing it, or they might turn down the offer. Happens to me a lot.

Always, ALWAYS, tell them when you're busy. Even if it's just doing a simple project, SAY IT SAY IT SAY IT. It gets quite annoying when someone ghosts outta nowhere and they state, "sorry, I was busy the last few days". They need to state it before they ghost so you know to change your posting schedule.

And lastly, if all in doubt, take it out. As in, if you need a break, or hate the role play, say it and move on. I have been ghosted a few times before with this reason in my messages from lots of fantasy ones, yet I haven't gotten anything back.

It happens to the best of us, but there is always a reason why.

Hope this summary helps ^^

There is no way to prevent it from happening, it happens to everyone, whether they like it or not.
The best way to prevent this is to choose your partners carefully, ask their schedule and see if it could match up with yours. If it's on the other side of the world, such as Australia and such, it's probably not the best idea (no offense to Aussie, I respect them) to role play with them with someone from, let's say, the us. It couldn't fit.

Make sure they are comfortable with role-playing with someone older or younger before doing it, or they might turn down the offer. Happens to me a lot.

Always, ALWAYS, tell them when you're busy. Even if it's just doing a simple project, SAY IT SAY IT SAY IT. It gets quite annoying when someone ghosts outta nowhere and they state, "sorry, I was busy the last few days". They need to state it before they ghost so you know to change your posting schedule.

And lastly, if all in doubt, take it out. As in, if you need a break, or hate the role play, say it and move on. I have been ghosted a few times before with this reason in my messages from lots of fantasy ones, yet I haven't gotten anything back.

It happens to the best of us, but there is always a reason why.

Hope this summary helps ^^

I don't have much to say on the majority of this post, but as far as the point on different time-zones goes: it's not a total loss if you're on different sides of the world... One of my partners lives in Czechia while I live in the US, so we have a 5-hour time difference between us but things still work out perfectly fine regardless of that difference. It just means we post at very different hours of the day... It can still work out even if you're on different schedules; you just have to put in a little more effort sometimes.

Yeah re:time zones I think that is only an issue if you expect rapid replies. I don't require people to respond to me immediately after I post so it doesn't really affect my roleplays. And if I get a response at like two am, ya never know my insomnia might have kicked in and I could still be awake.

I pretty much agree with what rae2nerdy rae2nerdy said. Rather than trying to stop it from happening, it's more productive to find your own way of coping with the fact that it is inevitable, it's going to happen and it's going to happen a lot the more you attempt to roleplay. This may sound harsh, but that is the reality and a certain degree of thick skin is needed to do well in the world of roleplay, enough to tolerate matters like these without letting them overly discourage you at least.

Personally, I cope with it my making sure I never regret the time or effort I spent in what I do. I try to make every post, every character, every roleplay I make worth it for itself, make them something I can look back at proudly instead of something in which I feel I wasted my time. Even if they go nowhere, just having made them is worthwhile.

Ghosting is an inevitable part of roleplay. With that said, I would check in to make sure my partner is okay. If I didn't receive an answer, I would just move on.

Ghosting is unfortunately part of the roleplaying package. But in my experience, if your partner isn't ghosting you after a dozen posts, you're probably good for the long ride. Ghosting usually happens early in the rp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back