Advice/Help how to keep group rps alive?

Pick either anime slice of life, anime fandom or fantasy, everything else fails for some reason. Anime fandom lasts the longest followed by youth oriented fantasy and the slice of life roleplays (disgusting that last one innit?)

After that there's a massive dropoff until hitting mature fantasy which can straggle along sometimes.

Everything else fails, personally I believe the more adult audience has more real life responsibilities. Because of that there's less posting and poor activity in a group RP is like an infectious disease. One person unable to post for a few days slows down five other people, who then slow down five other people. Momentum is now dead so whisper goodnight to your RP.

HUGE shame because my favorite genre is science fiction. As you'd expect based on my luck, science fiction has the worst mortality rate on RPN and you shouldn't even bother. Seriously don't, they die 60% of the time, every time.

If you dislike active genres you should stick to 1x1s or 1x1x1s with the Unicorn members who both post often and enjoy writing classical fiction.

Ninja edit Franklin Franklin

An issue for me is learning characters while writing them. When first writing a character its like meeting them at a bar. Big outlines are visible but how can I say who they are deep down? Other than abilities (power checks by the GM) and faceclaim there is nothing for me in a CS other than busywork. Backstory is cool and all but why is that relevant to anyone but me? Other characters aren't gonna know background so what's the point? You could make the argument that lore protection is important, that GMs need to check your backstory in order to prevent world alterations. Fair enough in that case but many times you don't have that lore altering ability with your background. You could ask about big moments and character points which accomplishes the same stuff without a 500 word summary of "in the beginning she was born".

Not gonna pass my opinion as god's truth here but that's my counter argument anyway.

Last edited:
Hey man if ur struggling to get to off the ground, I could be a gym GM ur RP so I could help

I can tell you the best way to make a group RP last is very simple. Make the players your friends. Get to know them. Maybe not super personally, but enough that you aren’t afraid to be on a first name basis with them. Ghosting happened because strangers have no accountability. But if you’re friends you’re more likely to talk through issues, work out schedules, and be empathetic to one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back