How to deal with dialogues in multi-para posts

Feuver

Thread title is pretty explanatory!

I used to do very casual short posts in the past in a live chat room. This generally meant that dialogue was often done quickly and if the need for interruption arised, it was fairly easy to do so.

However, since coming here, I've been doing much longer and descriptive posts which often has multiple piece of dialogue between two characters. However, I find it pretty hard to make consistent and engaging dialogue. Especially when there are directed question asked and the rest of the discussion follows depending on the answer.

So I'm asking you guys how you deal with dialogue in your larger multi-para RPs.

Thanks in advance.

The answer is collaborative posts. Basically, carry on a two-person interaction in private message (in which all but one person limits themselves a bit, because it should usually only be from one character's perspective). When you're satisfied, one of you will post it in the IC thread. This gets messier when you have four or more people, but it's the best solution I've come across when post length is a requirement.

Feuver said:
Thread title is pretty explanatory!
I used to do very casual short posts in the past in a live chat room. This generally meant that dialogue was often done quickly and if the need for interruption arised, it was fairly easy to do so.

However, since coming here, I've been doing much longer and descriptive posts which often has multiple piece of dialogue between two characters. However, I find it pretty hard to make consistent and engaging dialogue. Especially when there are directed question asked and the rest of the discussion follows depending on the answer.

So I'm asking you guys how you deal with dialogue in your larger multi-para RPs.

Thanks in advance.
Well, picture it as if you were hearing. In a group rp, it`s up to the ones the posts address to decide in which order things happen, provided they do happen. So, you should try to create a mental picture of how things are playing out and how your character reacts to it.

Idea said:
Well, picture it as if you were hearing. In a group rp, it`s up to the ones the posts address to decide in which order things happen, provided they do happen. So, you should try to create a mental picture of how things are playing out and how your character reacts to it.
Hmm, is that the same as that weird time-lapse thing that happens in large roleplays where the first part of your reply is assumed to have taken place right after the corrosponding part from the person before you? I find myself using lots of perfect past tense phrasing to deal with those. It's a drawback to having a long replies.

Unless you meant something else. It's really hard to describe, but prevalent in the roleplays I've seen.

SolarWind said:
Hmm, is that the same as that weird time-lapse thing that happens in large roleplays where the first part of your reply is assumed to have taken place right after the corrosponding part from the person before you? I find myself using lots of perfect past tense phrasing to deal with those. It's a drawback to having a long replies.
Unless you meant something else. It's really hard to describe, but prevalent in the roleplays I've seen.
I'm afraid I don't understand the question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back