How much is too much?

ManicMuse

I ax-o-lotl questions.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I have been coming off a long break in my writing and involvement in role play.

I use to steer toward platforms that did only live chat role play. We would stand around and wait for one another to come up with a few paragraphs in real time. This left me with little time for selecting too many role plays. Granted, I had my forum role plays on the side but that was not my main focus then. Now being fully focused on only forum role play, I don't know what my limit is. I wanted to get a idea from the community.

Question

On average, how many role plays do you commit to?

How many do you run? Or do you co-GM on?

How many hours a week do you commit to maintaining your roles and writing?

How often do you have to bow out of a role play? If so why?

Heh, I know how you feel. I too have just come back from a long break of around to 2-3 months without a single drop of RolePlaying. I am still tip-toeing my way back into the sea of RolePlays, but at the same time I am trying to restore my previous regime which goes like this:

"On average, how many role plays do you commit to?"

Around 3, sometimes four if I have enough free time.

"How many do you run? Or do you co-GM on?"

None. Most, if not all, of my RolePlays have ended up as a massive failures. I've co-GMed some RolePlays, but only a handful.

"How many hours a week do you commit to maintaining your roles and writing?"

Around 21 hours per week when I am completely free.

"How often do you have to bow out of a role play? If so why?"

Eeeehhh, quite a bit. I guess it's because I sometimes can't keep up with the post requirements or because I notice the RolePlay is beginning to go downhill so I flee from it. I am not proud of this, but I am going to try to change it.

Well that's about it. Good luck finding your limit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is coming from a college student with a part time job so I suppose a fairly busy person outside of RPN.

3-4 group roleplays and 2-3 1x1s on the side. I typically search for the more detailed groups because they move a little slower so I have time in between each post rather than worrying about rapid fire. I save my back to back for one on one roleplays because it's more personal so I don't worry about leaving people behind.

0 at the moment but I believe I'm capable of doing only 2 at a time.

However much is required for that week. I guess I'm going to approximate 3-4 hours a day?

Rarely ever. This only happens if something tragic happens or I need to catch up on school work. I try not to just vanish though.

As a player, rarely more than two. But that's because...

Too many. I am a terrible example.

To roleplays, perhaps an hour a day. To writing... I don't keep track. Whenever I'm not doing anything else.

Not too often. Usually because I've found my enthusiasm lacking or something else has come up.

3-4 threads total (skype and email) and that's already the limit, more than that, my brain will explode. But I'm such a bad roleplayer who has 1-2 threads as priorities lol.

Well, I only do 1x1 sooo, none I think

Let's see, I usually dedicate my evening from 6 pm to 8 or 9 pm to RP (priority threads and depend on the day), so I guess around 14-21 hours a week?

Not often unless I really can't keep up anymore with all the stresses or if all of my muses have died for some reasons.

As for roleplays, I currently am actively involved in eleven. Nine of which are one on ones, two of which are groups. I seek out roleplays that are more on the detailed end of things, meaning my post length traditionally ranges (Yes, I know post length doesn't have anything to do with quality; however, I genuinely enjoy longer posts to shorter ones) from 500-900 words, depending on the point in the plot.

Currently, I am not GMing or co-GMing any roleplays.

Ahahahaha, I'm not even sure I could put a number on it, but I am active on this site an upwards of of seven to nine hours a day. To be fair, not all of that time is spent roleplaying. As per my role on the site, a lot of my time is divided between helping the site run and roleplaying... often both at the same time.

I haven't bowed out of any roleplay recently. The last one I technically 'bowed out' off was because the GM had been on the fence about dropping it and I wasn't interested in keeping up with a roleplay that was likely to die in the near future. Funny enough, it did. Anyways, I had to leave two one on ones a few months back due to a family emergency that took me away from the computer for a while. Aside from that, I'm usually pretty committed due to the fact I'm pretty selective about who I roleplay with. That way, I know we're compatible, we can bounce ideas back and forth, etc.

This is coming from a high school student who works part-time and volunteers around 8 hours a week so.. Busy?

I can be such a mess at times (>.<), sometimes I'm only in one or two, but sometimes I end up joining around 7 (Usually group roleplays. I prefer detailed as whenever I write I usually end up writing a novella, oops). I suppose my average is 3-4.

Haven't started any of my own on here yet, just joined recently. I do co-GM one and kinda help out with another although I'm not anything official. But, on my old roleplaying sites I GMed/Co-GMed every single roleplay I was in haha (^U^)

It's difficult for me to be really active on here at the moment, mostly contributed to the internet connection difficulties we're currently having at home. On the weekends though I usually go somewhere else that blessedly has better connection, so I suppose around a collective total of 15 hours. Haven't really gotten into any overly active roleplays on here yet though so I don't believe I've dedicated nearly that much time on here. Hope to change that though as this site has been great so far! ( :D )

Honestly don't think I ever have. Most likely because I've ran/helped maintain almost every single roleplay I've participated in. If I were to bow out though, I think it'd probably be because either the fellow roleplayers have stopped being frequent and devoting time and real thought to their posts (As in there's only about two new posts on the thread in a week, and not much effort has been put into these posts) or I've exhausted all possibility for my character (Don't imagine that would be likely, and if it ever were I'd probably just make a new character anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back