How does one even detail?

LennyTheMemeGod

The Quackling Cat
<p>

Hey everyone, just a casual guy who sucks at details here! No, but for real, even though I've always been interested in writing things I've never seen to get the idea of how to detail things. Especially for roleplay. So, just how much is too much or how much is too little? And when should details be used? Thanks in advanced for anyone who can answer my (brilliantly intelligent) question!

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Simply put, the answer to that would be to look at what the detail is doing and seeing what is needed to make it fluent (as in neither forces in nor removed for the sake of adding or removing detail, but because it makes sense in the sentence), and where Is the minimum necessary to make it's function.

Remember, never use detail just for filler, use detail for a reason.

Details can have three major goals:

1. Perspective introduction

Details can help show the world through the character's eyes. What they notice can tell you a lot about who they are: a painter might notice the heavier strokes on the house painting, while an architect might notice the square design of the same house and a botanic might see the plants growing on the side. The way details are presented is relevant too. Saying "it was a house in green paint" and saying "a house in the color of sneeze" may suggest the character isnMt found of the house or not found of the color green.

There is also the insight into the character aspect. With meow detail, one can tell what a character is thinking and feeling better. If you do so, you can establish a connection through it, making your character more believable and interesting.

2. Narrative stakes

One of the most important aspects of detail is foreshadowing and blocking. Through it , you can make your writing several times more exciting and interesting by adding details and playing on them later. If instead of your character finding a random gun in the couch when they need one, have them feel a slight bump in the pillow when they sit , several posts before, and if soemthing actually happens, have them recall the bump and realize there was a gun that may save them beneath it.

Worldbuilding is also key here. Showing details such as the kind exercising the fire balls in the background or a woman burning a corpse so it doesn't become a zombie, can help you with the "show don't tell" rule and also may provide tools for later use.

3. Immersion

The most basic and fundamental aspect go detailing is just showing how things are. Visualizing is often key to more immersively and accurately depicting and roleplaying a scene, and it is a way for the plot and characters to be present on an actual world of their own, rather than just chatting in a vacuum.

Once you have determined for which goal you are adding detail , make sure that you first achieve that goal and then look at it again. See what else you can add to make reading your sentences go fluently.

This is my advise.

Roleplay - Meeting Post Requirements (With an Interesting Post)

Here is a good tutorial on adding details in a relevant way.

But as to your question - sadly there is no right or wrong answer.

It's something you'll need to talk over with your roleplay partners or read up on in your groups. Because everyone has different requirements when it comes to what they consider necessary information aND the right amount of details.

Some people are fine with four well written sentences and others won't even talk to you unless you can produce four paragraphs consistantly.

Furthermore everyone has different preferences for what they consider "good" details.

Some like lots of descriptions about everything from appearance to dialogue.

Others are fine with just a concise reply to their post.

If your interested in expanding your posts I'd look at the tutorial or just ask your partners specifically - hey do you see anything in my posts that are lacking? Is there anything you want me to explain further.

If it's just general descriptors your wanting I'd try reading books.

Pay close attention to how the Arthur paints the scene and try to emulate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately detail RP is a matter of preferences. While I do agree with Ideal's perception of what Detail RP should be, nerdyfangirl also brings up a good points in it too. It's best to discuss with the RP partner (or group) how you wish to roll with it in order to not waste your and everyone else's time.

And most people are not gonna read a wall of text of fluff. What's fluff? Unnecessary information that is completely irrelevant to the roleplay. Otherwise known as filler in order to increase the size of the post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back