Advice/Help How do you store and keep track of your OCs?

I don't really keep track of them too much, but Art Fight is handy for me to have all my oc's and their references in one place. Even though I generally use it for the event itself.

well, I have a couple here in the Private Workshop. And on other sites I make an equivalent page somewhere on the site and quickly make a bunch of placeholder posts that i might edit in a new character later on. That way it doesn't get bumped up to the top every time I add someone new. Otherwise, I also store the bulk of them on Google Docs. It's also where I have redundancies of the OCs I have on sites like these.

The thing is, storing old OCs doesn't actually get me anywhere besides having old ideas to work off of. It is very, VERY difficult to re-use characters I've made for a previous setting and try to shoehorn them into a new one. I speak from a Group RP perspective, of course. Pretty sure one-on-one is a horse of a different color.

Why is that?
Simple, I had not yet have the need to actually keep a character on this site. I took a long break but I'm back. I usually keep stuff in my phones notepad cuz google saves all my writing. But alot of my old OCs aren't usable as of yet. I don't see alot of SCI-FI enjoyers. But I've only been here for a day.

Simple, I had not yet have the need to actually keep a character on this site. I took a long break but I'm back. I usually keep stuff in my phones notepad cuz google saves all my writing. But alot of my old OCs aren't usable as of yet. I don't see alot of SCI-FI enjoyers. But I've only been here for a day.
what about on other sites, or other venues of roleplay?
Surely you have stuff saved from other places, yeah? Your old OCs are saved somewhere, no?

Also, I am an avid sci-fi roleplayer, so I understand your frustration with not being able to find good roleplays in the sci-fi flavor. I have both requested and attempted to host group RPs on this site and many others, and they just never really take off. Part of it might be because I look explicitly for group dynamics, as I'm not really into 1x1 stuff.

Are your OCs not useable because of the setting?

what about on other sites, or other venues of roleplay?
I used Geeking for about 4 ish years before it shut down, then I roleplayed on wattsapp Zombie apocalypse RPs with a dedicated 1x1 partner for years.
I delved into SCI-FI but it didn't really go anywhere. My partner was more of a fantasy/Harry Potter type.

I had Saved OCs akin to Isaac Clarke from Dead Space. But instead of just Isaac Clarke Ship engineer, I'd rename him Mark Warner Senior Electricity Technician.

So my OCs are cool, but I lost that phone. And ALL my notes in it. I have some saved OCs on my current phone, but I regard them as cringe af.

But if somebody gave me my phone back....

I would be so happy.

Attachments

• 41czv.jpg
    41czv.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 4
I used Geeking for about 4 ish years before it shut down, then I roleplayed on wattsapp Zombie apocalypse RPs with a dedicated 1x1 partner for years.
I delved into SCI-FI but it didn't really go anywhere. My partner was more of a fantasy/Harry Potter type.

I had Saved OCs akin to Isaac Clarke from Dead Space. But instead of just Isaac Clarke Ship engineer, I'd rename him Mark Warner Senior Electricity Technician.

So my OCs are cool, but I lost that phone. And ALL my notes in it. I have some saved OCs on my current phone, but I regard them as cringe af.

But if somebody gave me my phone back....

I would be so happy.
yeah, see... that's why it's a good idea to save characters on a platform that isn't something you possess. Something with a server or cloud or... something that you can't lose or get stolen or destroyed. My characters are spread all over, often redundantly, and then I have some older concepts on a couple of usb's. I USED to have some on diskette. But for obvious reasons, those are long gone and obsolete. Even if I still had the floppy, I wouldn't be able to access it.

Some of my more favorite characters are from Star Wars settings or Warhammer 40k. And then I have some that aren't from any fandoms at all. Those are the BEST characters as far as I'm concerned, because they aren't piggybacked off of someone else's preconceived universe. Of course, they are a little harder to get int an RP more so than OCs from popular fandoms.

I have done my fair share of fantasy RPs. But my main jam is Space Opera. Harry Potter is... well, let's just say it's not my thing.

Those are some good looking sheets. I must admit I didn’t know you can do that in Google Doc.
That's not even my best one! 😉 I can't share my favorite one here though, as it was made for an Adult-oriented RP server.
But here's a close second that is SFW. Fair warning though, it's 17 pages long.

Anyhow, my point being is that Google Docs is a hella good resource for storing (and making) character sheets. Also good for lore stuff too.

Last edited:
Why is that? I'm curious. For me, I spend hours making my characters. They are often multiple pages of fields and background and statistics. Sometimes I even link them to supporting pages of their equipment, vehicles, or companions/npcs. So, it would feel like such a waste to just drop all that effort and never use it again.
I definitely think it’s because I’m a causal or noob RPer. I 100% put like 30 minutes into my characters and tend to do more slice of life plots so I never end up needing to keep track of my OCs.

Essentially my answer is- I’m a casual RPer lol. I wish I could have the dedication that some others do but for me, writing is a side hobby.

When I first started out, I saved my characters in word Docs and DeviantArt (when they had a sheet for a group.) Now I have them all on Toyhouse, although for most it's just the images I've drawn / had drawn for me and the designs I've obtained. When I get inspired to write a bio, I'll add it to their profile on Toyhouse so I don't lose the information.

Can't share Toyhouse links in RPN though (at least not publicly) so any I use on here I'll make profiles specific for here. If it's a group then that means filling out a template (which I'll usually then copy that info over to TH to save long-term) while if it's 1-on-1 I'll just give some notes.

I am working on getting public profiles for my characters in the feedback forum on here, but I keep getting distracted. I want to get the essentials down though, so I can link the threads in my roleplay searches.

I am working on getting public profiles for my characters in the feedback forum on here, but I keep getting distracted. I want to get the essentials down though, so I can link the threads in my roleplay searches.
Do you actually want feedback from the feedback forum? Or are you just gonna use it for storage? I just ask because it's actually kinda hard to actually get feedback from ppl on here. At least, that's been my experience.

I definitely think it’s because I’m a causal or noob RPer. I 100% put like 30 minutes into my characters and tend to do more slice of life plots so I never end up needing to keep track of my OCs.

Essentially my answer is- I’m a casual RPer lol. I wish I could have the dedication that some others do but for me, writing is a side hobby.
Ah, well. Everyone has their own styles and way of enjoying R. I suppose it is less stressful to essentially make throw-away profiles and never fret about them.

Do you actually want feedback from the feedback forum? Or are you just gonna use it for storage? I just ask because it's actually kinda hard to actually get feedback from ppl on here. At least, that's been my experience.
I'm just using it for publicly storing them, since the character feedback forum is also for storing / showcasing characters.

I have used it for feedback before, it just requires making it clear you're looking for feedback and what you need help with.

I'm just using it for publicly storing them, since the character feedback forum is also for storing / showcasing characters.

I have used it for feedback before, it just requires making it clear you're looking for feedback and what you need help with.
I've tried to use it as a feedback resource. But it felt like I really had to nag and beg to get anyone to give me any critique.

Probably my art folder since every OC I made post 2015 I switched to drawing myself. Usually just seeing the visual makes me remember who the character is since I put in some deliberate design decisions very specific to the character.

Because I've been role-playing using OC's on Amino for years, I still keep them on there. Even though I don't get many roleplay requests anymore, I still use the app because I like the wiki feature and because I can surprise my best friend/closest roleplay partner with a new character in our private Amino.

I tend to only have a couple OCs and then flesh them out really thoroughly, so I think the need to 'organize' them isn't much of a big deal by default. Right now I only have three I consider active. I've found being an artist kind of helps the mental compartments to separate the three of them lol

I do love using carrd/google docs to organize their key information/important tidbits though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back