Other How do RPs end?

I feel like it really depends on the roleplay. If the roleplay in questions is a heroic fantasy epic, with building plot that eventually leads to a climatic final trial for the heroes , there's a good chance that there will be an end after that climactic final trial. But even so, it could go on for as long as the players and GM like. There's no right or wrong when it comes to RPing so if you want to have an end than that's great, but if you want the RP to continue on until you're 80 years old and shitting yourself in an assisted living home, hoping someone someday will just trip over that damned wire and pull the plug so you can finally end your miserable, rotting existence, than that's great too. Some styles of RP are more prone to have endings compared to others (the heroic fantasy epic) but there's so much variety that you'll be able to find what your looking for without too much trouble.

Of course... there's also the possibility that your GM suddenly drops off the face of the earth, and the RP you were in the middle of dies with them. So roleplays end like that some time too.

Last edited:
I've only had a RP end once. Long ago, under the name "Guild of Heroes" that I GMed. Now we're doing a sequel south hopes of finishing it too.

usually after a few posts

This is true for 90% of RPs for many die and close prematurely. It's just about expected anymore.

It takes a monumental amount of dedication, time and energy to start and end an RP properly like a book. The book closes, the RP ends, that's it.

I think when the main plot is done. Unless there's another plot in the making or somewhere else to go it might be best to end it. A good ending or bad or something leading to a sequel, there's a lot of ways to end a roleplay I think.

Different to every roleplay, but having an ending in mind (reverse design) is a great way to make sure your RP at least has one. I find if your players are creative, the story you had in mind can exit the bounds you imagined very quickly and almost definitely will -- so be prepared to negotiate this and don't railroad your players if you can avoid it.

In my game, I have a horrible unknown doom that ends the game at the start of the third game year people are playing. The game is about a lot of stuff, but the primary goal is discovering and unravelling/defeating that "Deadline Antagonist" -- if the players are still into the RP and want to continue after that time, I'll expand the scope of the game and add more antagonists. :D

My game is a nation-building RPG, so can pass pretty quickly. Right now my players are preparing for their first winter... and know they won't have to prepare for a third if they don't make use of their time.

Sometimes having a "bad ending" loom is a great way to encourage players to make or find a "good ending" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back