Advice/Help How do people RP D&D campaigns on RPN?

Fluxbauble

Thanks to the recent pandemic that has been going on I recently find myself wanting to really continue my campaign with my normal group. We used to meet weekly but since that's no longer an option and we're trying to work out a way to continue the campaign online with no definitive answer I find myself here once again. I looked over the Dice section of RPs and even some interest checks, but I never really understood how people go about doing these campaigns. Some of these threads extend for more than 20 pages while others are just getting off the ground. I'm fascinated by this because it just doesn't make sense to me how it works. I guess I'm just really use to the whole getting a response then and there and I haven't been a player in so long that I sometimes forget how to be a player.

I suppose the title asks it all. How to people roleplay D&D and other TTRPG campaigns on this site? How do people not step on other's toes in the session? Or how do things like skill checks and combat work?

Generally, normal posting etiquette applies - don't overwhelm other players, check certain things OOC, that kind of thing.
Personally I de-emphasize rolling except where it's dramatically interesting, and the forum has a dice rolling function.

Honestly I always have room for players if you feel like taking a stab at it.

I do have a character I want to revisit as it was only for a one-shot campaign. What system is it?

I use a few different systems and none of them are D&D, so you'd probably need to learn a new one if you joined any of mine - but I try to keep the process as easy as I can

Well, I would say there are two primary formats- session-based or play-by-post. They each have their advantages and disadvantages, with session-based being the closest to a typical live game of D&D. They will use some platform, often with voice chat albeit keeping it to text is still possible, and they meet up on given schedules and play/talk there for a period.

The other format, play by post, aproximates more an RP from RPN, in the sense that people post but they don't necessarily have to play during a period in which everyone is available, but moreso just make their posts when they barring any established post order. This format is, of course, entirely done in posts and the one you will find played in the actual site.

As Grey Grey mentioned, RPN does have a dice rolling system. You can roll dice by using the button which shows up in post editing (note: it doesn't show up prior to posting the actual post, only when editing). You make skill checks by your GM telling you what skill check you should do, and then doing the usual, rolling and adding what modifiers there may be.

To my (admitedly limited from lack of experience) knowledge, D&D combat is typically turn-based, so it lends itself well even to play by post.

I'm not sure if this helped clarify anything, or if it still left ya with questions, but feel free to ask them if ya have any, and I hope it does help at least a bit.

It helped a bit Idea Idea as it at the very least gave me an idea how people can make it work lol. Thanks for explaining it a bit more to me.

Grey Grey I guess I wanna look at one of the systems in question before I decide on anything. Would that be possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back