Tutorial How do group roleplays work?

decadent-rider

Twenty Thousand Club
Pretty much as the title suggests, I'm curious and I've been thinking about joining one for a while now but have always done private rps and not really ever worked out how a group rp would work, any answer greatly appreciated!

Well just as in private Roleplays no two groups are exactly the same. So the first thing to do is ask the person running the roleplay if you have any questions.

For general tips

1. Read the rules and application for the roleplay
2. Read all the setting and plot information
3. Be sure to double check you understand post requirements. Ex, how often you post OR how long your post has to be.

most important is be active in the out of character. Make friends with the other players. Not only can they help with any issues you might have but it will also increase the chance of the roleplay lasting

The biggest difference you may want to take into account is that, while in 1x1 control of what happens is shared equally, with the two players standing as equals and such, in group RPs, the Gm's basically the boss. Their word goes, they organize everything, they say if you can come in (though if you go out, it's always your choice of course), and provides players content and plot.

While I kinda ended up painting groups in bad lighting a bit, that's not the case at all. What I am trying to communicate is mostly that in group roleplays you are one member exploring a path that is provided to you by the person who has control over the roleplay, while in 1x1s you have to make that path yourself

The biggest difference you may want to take into account is that, while in 1x1 control of what happens is shared equally, with the two players standing as equals and such, in group RPs, the Gm's basically the boss. Their word goes, they organize everything, they say if you can come in (though if you go out, it's always your choice of course), and provides players content and plot.

While I kinda ended up painting groups in bad lighting a bit, that's not the case at all. What I am trying to communicate is mostly that in group roleplays you are one member exploring a path that is provided to you by the person who has control over the roleplay, while in 1x1s you have to make that path yourself
I think thats the best description Ive ever heard about group roleplaying

The only thing I would comment here is that there are Group roleplays that have the "build your own path" as a 1x1, but they are much rarer and different. However, they are extremely rewarding! :)

The only thing I would comment here is that there are Group roleplays that have the "build your own path" as a 1x1, but they are much rarer and different. However, they are extremely rewarding! :)
Hmmm... I mean I guess some extremely small groups that may be the case. Though if you're talking sandboxes those don't let you "build your own path" either because ultimately you are still subject to the limitations of whatever type of RP the GM wanted to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back