• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Homebrew DnD 5e Campaign

ZeiruliousMakavar

The Archon of Madness
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So, after watching a few videos on Youtube of some of my favorite youtubers doing some DnD games, I figured I'd do one myself.
After taking about a 5~6 year break from DnD games, both as a player and as a DM, I figured I'd get back into the swing of things and DM a game in 5e (the last one I did was in 2nd Edition if I'm remembering correctly... so yeah, I'm "old".)
I'm looking for 4 or 5 people to be the players. Keep in mind, everything about the story in this game will be homebrew. (For those few of you who do not know what 'Homebrew' is, it means guides on how to complete the campaigns that Wizards of The Coast send out in edition to the Rulebooks, will not help you here.) Here's a list of some of the major differences you'll see between the world that the campaign will take place in and many of the Fantasy realms you've seen in the past:
  • Dwarven Civilization resolves around one thing. Worship of the dragons that protect their halls. Especially a particular Ancient Golden Dragon that has been alive for >6k years, which guards the halls of The Mountain-homes, the Dwarven Capital.
  • Magic is in it's infancy in this world, there are no immortal gods or beasts. Yet.
  • At this point, there are no Wood Elves, or any other branch of Elves. Only two due to bad blood between them. Dark Elves, who focus on mortal weapons and reside in the depths of forests. And High Elves, who focus more on advancing magic then anything else, and live in large sprawling cities in the plains.
  • At this point in time, the dominant race on the main continent is that of the Dragonborn, a race of reptilian humanoids who are close cousins to Dragons.
  • Humans are still new to the continent, and as of yet have no clear settlements, mostly going from place to place living under control of the other races.
Unlike many DnD games, this one has a few special 'rules.' The first and most important is that it is a 'generational' game. I got the idea after playing a bit of a game called Record of Agarest War. In it, you play as a single character, but go through two main characters. The first character, and their child.

In this DnD game, the players will go through a similar idea. The players will start with level 1 characters, starting in a tavern just outside the Dwarven Mountainhomes, due to having heard rumors that the miners broke into a massive cave network underground. Over time, the players will reach a point in their characters lives, and move on to the next generation. This means that you (the player) will actually be able to see how your characters effect the world around them, through the eyes of the next generation.

To make things easier for the players, meaning I don't want you guys/gals to start over at level 1 each time a generation passes, each time a generation passes (The player moves on to the next generation) the player will create a new character to represent the previous character's child. This character will start at 20% the level of the previous ones. This means that if player 1's first character ends at level 30 like a usual campaign, then character #2 will start at level 6 instead of 1.

I'll allow multi-classing in this campaign, as not doing so will seem ridiculous over time. (Who wants to be a level 500 paladin, when you can be a level 250 paladin and a level 250 mage?)

Once again, I'm looking for 4 or 5 people to play characters in this DnD Campaign.

This a play by post or voice chat game?

Either way I'm intrigued, count me in for now. I'll probably be playing a Human Wizard.

This a play by post or voice chat game?

Either way I'm intrigued, count me in for now. I'll probably be playing a Human Wizard.

Play by post. Probably on here or Discord. I'm not to much a fan of voice, as I don't have that good of internet or microphone. Plus, playing by post gives people more time to think on their moves.

Don't want to be 'that guy', but just as an fyi - 5e isn't' designed to go to level 30, the max is lvl 20. Of course, if you want to go to lvl 30 nothing is going to stop you, just figured I'd point that out since you mentioned you were just recently trying to get back into the swing of things.

Don't want to be 'that guy', but just as an fyi - 5e isn't' designed to go to level 30, the max is lvl 20. Of course, if you want to go to lvl 30 nothing is going to stop you, just figured I'd point that out since you mentioned you were just recently trying to get back into the swing of things.

Let's be honest here, Most Campaigns don't actually get to either of those points. The average I've seen was ~15, with 20 being late game.
But yes, I'm aware that 5e isn't designed explicitly for things beyond level 20, which believe me. Your characters will eventually be beyond that.

Strictly speaking, there are rules that enable a pseudo 21+ champaign. Epic boons were designed to facilitate the super high level play, as well as additional Ability Score Increases.

Yeah, neither of you are wrong at all. Was just making sure he wasn't getting confused with how 2e levels or something, I have no idea how that system works so I apologize for being misinformed.

Naw, it's all cool. 15+, let alone 21+ games come up so infrequently that even I was a little surprised when I saw that.

Definitely looking forward to playing with those high level toys, though. I almost never get to try them out.

I do agree that one of the main reasons why I'm doing a generational RP is that 15+ games come up so infrequently. I myself, the last time I played DnD as a player, which was in 3.5e with 2e being the last time I DMed, I had a character who hit total level of 50. The levels were split between Wizard, Druid, and Rogue.

Man, that is crazy to think. I don't think I've ever had a campaign-length character even go above level 12. I would love to get to level 20.

How would you feel about starting at a moderately high level, say, 7-8? I get the feeling you're gunning for high level play as your goal, and we may as well start with a respectably high level to get to that point.

How would you feel about starting at a moderately high level, say, 7-8? I get the feeling you're gunning for high level play as your goal, and we may as well start with a respectably high level to get to that point.

Players reaching a high level is a goal, but not the immediate goal. Early on, things will mostly be about introducing the players to the world their characters exist in. While writing that first post, I was actually tempted to say the starting level was 5, but I want to give the feeling that the first characters are beginners in universe, that they aren't quite used to adventuring. level 1 is the obvious choice for that. Maybe level 2 or 3 would be better though.

5 is actually considered the "Graduated from Adventurer High School" level by the new edition, and the semi-default starting point. Levels 1-4 are the "Still in training" levels.

Your call, though. It really depends on how experienced the group is with the game as a whole.

5 is actually considered the "Graduated from Adventurer High School" level by the new edition, and the semi-default starting point. Levels 1-4 are the "Still in training" levels.

Your call, though. It really depends on how experienced the group is with the game as a whole.

That I didn't not actually know. I'll keep that in mind.

Looks interesting to me. I'm about to start a physical campaign tomorrow, but the more exposure I get the better, I say! I'm kinda new to all of this, just so you know. If that's a problem, I understand.

JayTee JayTee
That indeed is four people.

JayTee JayTee Cenedril Cenedril Kalin Scarlet Kalin Scarlet NemoTheSurvivor NemoTheSurvivor
I'm going to need you four to PM me a copy of your charactersheets somehow. I need them before I start the campaign. Keep in mind, this is 5e, so if the sheets have changed at all, use those. Not the common 3.5e ones.

EDIT: After much deliberation, I've decided that your characters will be starting at level 5 instead of level 1. Keep this in mind while making your characters.

What kind of characters are you guys thinking of making? I'm debating between Human Rogue and Dragonborn Paladin (if that is possible)

What kind of characters are you guys thinking of making? I'm debating between Human Rogue and Dragonborn Paladin (if that is possible)

Yes, yes that is possible.

Bard with a few classes in warlock of the tiefling persuasion

Huh... I've never actually done a game with a Tiefling, either as a DM or a player myself... They aren't that common...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back