• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Historic Fiction and That Good Old American West

Sleipnir

The Eight-Legged Norse Horse
Hey guys!

So I'm not popular on here

So I need to inform you all that I went to New Mexico's Philmont Scout Ranch as a venture scout last year and got a taste of the Old West.

And dang it, I liked it. Horses and riders on this great green meadows with mountains towering on either side, chasing down cattle-thievin' bad guys — I want that! I want a cowboy RPG and no one talks about it so Inthought I'd just wander over to check if anyone was interested.

Also interesting would be a sort of "Start of Darkness" twist — a group of cowboys brought together on a cattle drive, but as travesty and travesty again crashes down on them, they grow embittered and decide if the world won't do them any favors, they won't do the world any, either, eventually becoming the most feared outlaws in the west.

Yeah! I'm such a loser!

*raises hand*

This is totally up my alley. I love the Westward Expansion in the US historical time period. I can't say I'm some huge history buff on it, but I know enough to fit in comfortable.

Same :) I'm more interested in U.S. All having a good time than being perfectly historically accurate :P

Now, if only more people would join...

Dude I've been wanting a Western Roleplay so goddamn bad. I've been wanting a bit of a fantastical setting though, like it's all good old west but you can't tell me the idea of a vampire gunman outlaw doesn't sound tight as all hell. I will play a more realistic western RP tho cause I got the need.

I'm very interested in this, but if I had the option I'd probably want to be a native american (I know more about their culture then cowboys, plus I'd want to play as a girl and there were probably, like, 2 cowgirls in actuality)

I have no problem at all with native Americans being involved, and I actually intended on my character being a cross dressed female pretending to be male, so I can't exactly tell you you can't have a girl...

Hmmm, maybe if you have a lady she could be her own sort of "outlaw?" Living and doing her own thing?

Now, I don't know about a fantasy aspect — sounds cool to me, but I wanna leave it up to the others whether they wanna do that or not. I'm a touch surprised at all this interest! Woo!!

I think this is enough interest for me to start this phase: So, what about plots? Any elements or ideas you have?

I think this is an excellent number. Right, so I have a few thoughts we could look into, and everyone please feel free to throw in plot ideas since I only really have a setting xD

Aforementioned start-of-Darkness, bringing on a transition of Nobody to Nightmare for this ragtag group of cowboys, natives(?) and cross dressers

Losing a herd to a well-known outlaw and deciding to go get them back and bring the outlaw in for bounty too

Possibly, good old adventure through field and mountain.

Okay, don't take my critiques for dislike I'm just trying to build plot, but why would outlaws want to take a herd? I actually have an idea, it's kind of totally different then that but how bout this: we've got an outlaw who sweeps through town, who is wanted, and does something that's gonna make the law enforcement bump up his bounty. So all these cowboys from the same ranch (I think depending on the size of the ranch they work on there are anywhere from 3-20 cowboys working there) decide that they're gonna all go after the criminal and receive the bounty and split it between each other. Maybe some of the boys are planning to get the outlaw before the rest and keep all the money for themselves, maybe one of them wants vengeance for something the outlaw did, whatever. The thing is, the outlaw has to have done some really bad things and be kind of rendered in many states and places.

(and um, I know a little bit about the actual facts of that time, idk if its more than anyone else here but if you've got questions, I'll try to answer them.)

I guessed cattle-rustling because that actually used to be fairly common — dunno why xD part of a cowboy's job was keeping them away.

I your idea better! :D

I think @whitefoxkiller has a good setup that we should run with. This way characters can be of any affiliation or creed they want with their one common interest being the outlaw. If we want to throw fantastical elements or anything later down the line we can.

Glad y'all liked my idea. But we still have to figure out what this outlaw does for a living and what he did in town that made his bounty go up. I'm thinking, to give some of our characters good backstories, he kidnaps young girls and demands ransom. Some girls he returns, some he doesn't.

Course if we took this route, there would be some extremely dark and possibly triggering themes.

I was gonna say he's so wanted because he's been killing railroad workers. Trains were serious shit back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back