• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Arnalia

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
(Start of the thread, IC only, quick messages must be said in this format)

Wen ZhaoJun had walked the path of a lonesome vagabond ever since the scars of war was inflicted on him. The first few years were the hardest, with days spent not knowing whether or not he could live until the next dawn arrived. He had since gained a better lay of the land that allowed him to avoid places rife with conflicts while keeping his stomach satiated by the grace of innocent commonfolks with whom he would trade his trinkets or offer his skills for food and shelter.

If there was one thing he had learned during his twenty-five years stay in this mortal world, that was to stay clear from the nobles and highborns. The brightest candles burned twice as fast, and their flame seared everything around them. He was sick of those scheming bastards already, those heartless humans sitting on their throne made of fragile papier-mache. Unfortunately, with each fallen, five others rose to the fill the spot, fueled by greed and pride.

In this way, the continent had been embroiled in bitter wars for decades, and each successive victories had only served to unleash even more brutal reciprocation.

That night, ZhaoJun had set up camp off a beaten path. It had been eight days since he departed from the last village. Wild beasts and the wilderness would be his only companions for weeks ahead. He didn't hate it, especially since it reminded him of his old home back at Mount Xi.

As expected, as much as he enjoyed the presence of humans around him, those small bundles of liveliness, he still couldn't drop his root.

He was about to go to sleep when he felt his instinct warning him of imminent threat. Instead of laying down, he sat up straight, perking up his senses in case of danger.

The man was surprisingly easy to find.

The intermediary that intercepted her had describe his physic in excruciating details.
In his twenties, seen wearing white for the last time, goes from place to place seemingly lost.
He could have easily blended in among the many poor travelers that dotted the land.
But one thing made him stood out like a soar thumb.
Unfortunately for him, he was far too skilled to be poor.
First time she asked her contacts they all said the same thing, "A lonesome man who appear poor but have the manner of a noble and the skill of a general's son".
Perfect match.

But she noticed that his aimless wandering didn't seem to match the profile of someone that betrayed his whole clan for money than ran away.
But, eh, she didn't try to guess what could go on inside the mind of noble these days. There were all the same anyways. Vain, corrupt, petty, and annoying.

The village she arrived three days earlier told her that her target went away in the wild. She thanked the heaven she still had her sharp senses and soon saw a little fire....

Something felt amiss, she couldn't tell why but the Qi surrounding the figure was eerily familliar.
She dismissed this thought, now was not the time.
She quietly drew her bow ,"Say Hi", and fired the arrow.

ZhaoJun managed to avoid the incoming arrow just in time as the sharp tip cut through the cold night air a mere breadth away from his neck. He would like to attribute it to his superior martial arts and well-honed senses, but it was actually just sheer dumb luck that let him nod off at that exact moment, giving him a longer leash on this life. He immediately kicked the ground with greater strength than usual, throwing up dirt and sand toward the campfire to extinguish it.

He looked around. The dense canopy of the forest didn't permit moonlight to pass through. The other party was shrouded in the dark, but now that his campfire was no more, they were on even ground. The young noble jumped away from his position, not wanting to give his opponent another chance for a free strike.

He needed more information.

ZhaoJun calmed down his beating heart as he took deeper breaths. With his eyes closed, he attuned himself with the surrounding nature, blending himself into the silence of the forest while at the same time his energy began to radiate out of his meridian, forming invisible tendrils that sprouted off to all directions to feel out the location of this mysterious assailant.

"Lucky bastard," she murmured, as soon as those word left her mouth, darkness surrouded her,"And clever too," she smiled.

She put away her bows and drew her short swords. Set on making him regret not going down quietly. With unnatural speed she closed the distance between the camp and her, using her senses to locate her target.
She braced herself, swords drawn and jumped right at him.

His tendrils of energy caught the presence of the other party. They were just ahead... no, his opponent was moving, fast! Even though his eyes couldn't see it, he was sure that whoever it was had already closed the distance between them.

"Tch-!"

ZhaoJun pulled out his sword and swung it at the assailant's direction, his blade letting out a crisp howl as it sliced through the darkness.

Her swords met another one and she took a step back readjusting her position.
"Huh, few can boast about blocking my blade the first time," she said and attacked were she was now sure her target was.
He was proving to be more skilled than she thought.
Both of her swords sliced the darkness one after another, never stopping even once. This should have already ended and patience wasn't her thing

Heavy-!

The collision of their blade proved to be harsher than expected. His opponent was certainly not a pushover.

ZhaoJun stabilized his stance while drawing back his sword in a fluid arc, readying himself for the next strike. He shifted his center of gravity to a lower position, giving his feet a firmer grasp over the ground. He then launched a series of quick slashes, a mixture of Wen-clan swordsmanship and his own invented technique, to respond to the assailant's attacks tit-for-tat.

When he felt that the strikes had slowed down, he took that chance to call out to the enemy.

"Sir warrior! We have no bad blood between us, there's no reason to fight! If it's money that you want, then I can give it to you! Please sheathe your sword! "

Her opponents knew what he was doing. Her quick and merciless slash were each met by the fluid block of a long sword. Switching strategy she slowed her attacks and centered her foots on the ground, sheeting one of her sword and keeping one in her left hand.

She concentrated her Qi and readied to lauch it when she heard him.

He took her for what ?

"I ain't a lowly brigand, you bastard ! I'm gonna make you regret betraying your familly AND get payed for it ! "

The Qi in her hands merged into a small and brilliant ball of fire.
Enough was enough if this continued she may believed he was as skilled as her. Which would not be possible, unless?...
No, no chance she thought and launched the fire ball at him.

"Parry that!" She shout

"What?! What did you say?!"

Betraying his family? ZhaoJun felt dizzy for a moment. It had been a long time since someone had mentioned about his family. The Wen clan... was that how it looked like to other people? That he survived this far because he was also contributing to their fall? Anger began to boil within him for such unjust accusation. To even dare implying his disloyalty, this bastard deserved to die by his blade!

Or that was his intention before he witnessed his enemy creating a ball of fire on her hands. The scorching light revealed the sight of his assailant for the first time. Surprisingly, it was a woman. Even more surprisingly, this stream of energy...

This, had humanity advanced this far? To be able to wield such a pure Qi, it wasn't just a matter of being talented. Not even the few masters that he had encountered during his travel would be able to manage.

"Damn it-!"

He sheathed back his sword before taking a different stance. His meridian circulated his Qi more violently, forsaking the techniques that his father had taught him before. Instead, he let instinct took over, just like the old days. The forest itself shared its energy with him, down from the air, up from the ground, they were soaked voraciously in the blink of an eye before spreading throughout his body, enveloping him in a thin veil of pure Qi.

ZhaoJun let out a growl, sounding closer to something inhuman.

With a swing of his arm, he sliced the fireball in half, leaving traces of Qi tearing the air where his claws had struck. He then sprung forward like a wild beast, a pair of razor-sharp claws on his hands ready to slice his opponent into pieces.

This man wasn't normal.
Did he...roar?
She barely had the time to think that her target was jumping on her with the furor of a beast.

"Ah!," she barely dodged the claws, a slice on her arms tearing a bit of her clothes.

She jumped out and put distance between them. Claws ?
She didn't dream did she ?
Wait, was it even possible for humans to manifest Qi in this form ?
What was he to have claws like that ?
Was he one of those eccentric noble who spent their life acting like a tiger ?

"You're a tough one," she smirked boosting her speed she began running around her target so fast she seemed to be flying. Her old instincts starting to come off.

"You know little tiger, your claws are sharp but I'm made of something different," she snickered and started to strike as she was running, taunting her target.

"You knew that sooner or later someone would come for you. You should be happy it's me," she teased and striked him on the left, "Can't you see I'm trying really hard to give you a quick death?," she felt his Qi growing and with it a familiarity she couldn't shake off.

"I knew that criminal like you aren't deserving of the title "human" but I'm really starting to believe you ain't one, little tiger, she smiled and continued, You're the best fighter I've seen in a while, too bad you will be dead, she concentrated her Qi again, preparing herself."

The more he attuned his Qi, the more he start to fall back to his old habits. His movement turned quicker, his blows sharper, but at the same time, he felt his personality blurring. He had to push the brake, stopping himself from drawing more power from his dormant soul.

A human body wasn't supposed to wield Qi of this purity.

It was strange that his opponent could tackle his attacks head-on. Their Qi seemed to interact at the same level, clashing violently with each exchange. He ignored his taunts, instead choosing to concentrate on reading her movements. She was graceful, nimble, as if soaring to the air with formless wings. Somehow, it was a bad match for him.

Hers was an energy heavily laced with the radiance of fire.

Against his wood element, her fire would grow wilder, even swallowing him whole. He had to find another way to fight her instead of stubbornly blasting off his Qi. Still, the curiosity remained, scratching at the back of his mind.

"I could ask you the same, are you sure that you're a human?" ZhaoJun asked. When he noticed that she was amassing energy for another strike, he did the same, concentrating Qi around his feet.

She was letting old habits get the best of her. Despite her decade in this new body she still forgot that it couldn't stand a drop of her real power. She centered herself and diminished her growing and wild urge to snatch her target like a bird of prey.

Not that she think she could with this one. His style was odd, it was disciplined at first seeming to be drilled into him like she would expect for the son of a General. But then he got "claws" and leaped at her with such a force and vitality that she almost found it beautiful in a primal way. If he wasn't trying to kill her that is, not that she minded.

"Ha, and what if I wasn't, huh? You would do what ? Recite the pledge of the Beasts ?" ,she grinned.
This.
This she was sure. He didn't know.
The pledge was created by magical beast to announce that they came in peace when they entered another beast territory. It wasn't even technically possible for a mortal to say it if they didn't know the signature of the Qi that went with it. A handy way to let all magicals animals know of your presence without having to talk to them directly.

There was no way a mortal could know it, unless they spoke tiger or birds or whatever heaven decided to make these days. Forming a ball of fire she could sense his Qi growing around his feet and readied herself for his incoming strike. "Too bad you don't know it!," she said as she hurled the ball at him.

He slammed his leg on the ground, blasting off energy in a sharp dive. As if replying to his call, the earth right in front if him soared up like a sharp spike, piercing the fireball aimed at him.

He was about to fire the energy in his other leg when her words just then finally connected. Pledge? What pledge? A fragment of old memories stirred within his soul. Right, at that time, it seemed that the Yellow Emperor had taught them about it...

The energy in his legs disippated. He then leaped to the top of his earth spike, standing pridefully with one hand behind him. On his other hand was a swirl of yellow-green energy that floated above his palm before forming the character "Xi".

The namesake of his throne.

"Do you mean this?" ZhaoJun spoke in a loud voice infused with a splash of pure wood Qi. Against lesser beasts, it was a show of dominance. Amongst equals, it was a proof of identity.

"Tch" she hissed as her fire ball was reduced to sparkles. Flying out of his range she raised her sword and assumed a firm fighting stance ,ready to sprint and but him out of- Wait ? What is he doing

Suddenly she felt the Qi surrounding her morphing and changing, a woody smell embracing her, the smell of dry land, and tall mountain.

She frooze. Looking up her eyes grew larger and larger, "XI", he transcribed the word in a swift movement, proudly standing atop his peak, a majectic Tiger showing off to what he recognized was one of his own.

She stood as if struck by lighting, sword still drawn, silent.

A minute passed.

Slowly, she lowered her sword and fired a ball into the extinguished campfire. She walked to the camp and pointed at him then at a place in front of the fire with her sword

"Sit down," she said curtly and sat.

She looked him in the eyes.
"Tiger of Mount Xi"

ZhaoJun gave a nod before slamming his leg on the earth spike. The mound crumbled into pieces, bringing him down with him to the ground. He patted dusts off his robe, while the forest surface returned to its peaceful state, as if the fierce battle was nothing but an illusion.

"So you know me," ZhaoJun remarked. He sat at the opposite side of the campfire, his posture still ready to fight at a moment's notice.

"Who are you? A deity from Heaven? An Ascended? Or..."

The same as him.

"The person that tried to kill you," she smirked.

She straightened her back and put her hands above the fire, "But you may know me under another name," as her fingers moved, shapes started to appear, old gods feasting and drinking ,a mountains surrounded by colorful trees , and at the top, a Phoenix. "People used to told me I should travel more," the Phoenix gracefully flew across the land, passing by peaceful villages and thriving cities, "And I use to tell them humans were only worth watching when they were happy. They thought I was weird," she chuckled.

Smoothly she made the fire twirl and dance around like water until it formed one word,

"Kunlun"

Scorching Qi enveloping the air like wings, sending sparks everywhere like the trail of wind left by a soaring bird.

"Does this answer your question, Lord Xi ?" she jest and put back her hands the fire returning to it original size.

"Because I too have MANY questions about this whole, she gestured,....situation."

She looked to the side,"But since I did try to send you back to the reincarnation cycle. I will let you start. I'm magnanimous like that," she looked at him and smirk waiting.

Divine Bird. Kunlun.

"So it's that weirdo from the west," ZhaoJun clasped his hands together, and then bowed at her. Part respect. Part mockery.

"As you were, I also have several... questions. But, fine. I'll satisfy your curiosity."

He then elaborated, in extremely brief version, about his desire to enter the cycle of reincarnation and see the lives of mortals with his own eyes. Most of it was knowledge common to mythical beasts, although his true motivation was still a hidden card that he wouldn't reveal just yet. After all, aside from them being creatures of similar standing, he held no other ties with Kunlun's monarchs.

ZhaoJun didn't hold her hostile actions in much regards. It was normal for beasts to fight each other whenever they wanted. At most, he would just return to the Wheel of Reincarnation and annoy King Yama for yet another run in this fiasco. However, he found it peculiar that he would run into an acquaintance down here, in mortal form, even.

"I'm just asking for precaution, but... you didn't become a human because you died, right? Did some random Ascended climbed Kunlun and massacred you birds?" ZhaoJun asked with a tinge of pity.

One corner of her mouth lifted up, in mock annoyance,

"Yeah, the weirdo from the West. Well met Lord Kitty cat of the South," she rolled her eyes.

It's been a while since someone dared teased her like that. She refused to admit it but...she missed it, a touch of nostalgia and memories of better days brushed her mind and were immediately shut down. Not now.

Especially right now, she thought. Concentrating again, she nodded as he told her about his reasons for entering the cycle of reincarnation. Hmmm, so this was all ? Not that it mattered, in fact if he had said his reasons were as deep as her, she would be skeptical.

She was about to speak when she hear his question. Massacred her birds ?.....the pity in his eyes, it was more than she could handle.
Not missing a beat she leaned down slowly, face somber and utterly serious she said.

"No.
I. ATE. THEM"

A beat passed, and then another and when she couldn't hold it anymore.

She burst out laughing,

"AHHAHAHAHAA,Oh MY HEAVEN!," she slapped her knee, barely able to talk between laugh,
"Imagine, eating MY birds, like what kind of- aha aha, " She gagged and hold her stomach as she pointed a finger at him
"You shoul- You should have seen your FACE!, pfffff," she wiped a tear and let out a few chuckles before calming down a bit.

"Haaaah, I needed that,"she let out and said "I'm-,she shaked her head, I'm just like you, Kitty cat."

Yep, thank for the laugh but she wouldn't tell him anything more.

"Any other question?.....beside someone roasting my birds and eating them with sesame oils and wine" she crossed her arms and rested her head against her right palm.

ZhaoJun's eyes almost popped out of their sockets when the phoenix said that she had eaten her own flocks. He still froze in shock even after she burst into hysterical laugh, only realizing that it was all a mere jest when she had finally calmed down by herself.

"That wasn't funny," the tiger growled. He had ruled over Mount Xi longer than this bird had lived, and what she joked about had really happened before. Not in Kunlun, not with the Birds of Heaven, but with another mythical beast.

It wasn't something that he wanted to experience ever again.

"Haaa," ZhaoJun slumped down into the ground, suddenly feeling tired. Coincidentally, his guard which had been put up for so long suddenly break down just like that. There was no longer any reason for them to fight each other after all. No... in the first place, she was the one who attacked first. Why would he be the one who felt bad about it-

Oh yeah. He suddenly remembered the crux of the problem at the moment.

"Let's drop the story about our past for now. You... why did you attack me? You said that I betrayed my family? And you also get... paid for it?"

He frowned at her.

"Don't tell me that you've been living like this the entire time. Selling your sword? Did you kill anyone yet? You do realize that killing someone, anyone, will weigh down on your karma?"

"That wasn't funny," the tiger growled at her.

She shrugged and said.
"It's quite amusing that someone could think they would even have a chance to touch at least a feather of my siblings before I burned them to ashes. Is all."

Her previous fit of laughter made her guard drop a little. And by his shoulder relaxing a bit, she had a hunch that he wasn't in the mood to fight anymore. And so was she. For now at least, she knew the Lord of Xi reputation of benevolence and honour, but that was before and this was now.

"Let's drop the story about our past for now. You... why did you attack me? You said that I betrayed my family? And you also get... paid for it?" he said.

He returned to the crux of the matter, as she expected.

But right after he frowned at her.

"Don't tell me that you've been living like this the entire time. Selling your sword? Did you kill anyone yet? You do realize that killing someone, anyone, will weigh down on your karma?" he said disapprovingly.

She tensed, and stayed silent for a bit, a tight smile on her face and said.
"And what if I did ? What does it matter to you anyway ? Her jaw tightened.
I will NOT apologized, even to the gods, for doing my damn best to stay alive on this cursed land !" She spat out.

"King Yama can judge me all he want, I don't care." She huffed, then crossed her arms and looked to the side.
"If he wanted me to be a good little girl then he and the other gods should have done their job. But after decades of war I doubt it." She snorted and looked at him.
"Not that you would get it ? Huh ? Would you son of the Wen clan ?"

Although he lived almost like a beggar for some years, she was sure that the son of a general born in precious silk and wealth would never truly get the struggle the war had put on common folks.

But his previous questions surprised her.
So he wasn't aware ? She guessed that he wasn't stupid enough to go back home and must have move too fast for it to ever reach him.

She tilted her head.
"To answer your questions, right after your clan was executed rumors of you fleeing after betraying them spread like wildfire." She stroke her chin and continued. "But my intermediary didn't tell me anything else. No that he needed too." She mused. "Usually in case like this it's just small noble trying to get rid of a former connection that may have compromising intel or warlords wanting to get in the people good grace."

She thought nothing of it until now, if he was innocent it meant that the intermediate lied to her. Which she doubted. "I doubt my intermediary lied to me. They're all snakes but they know I won't hesitate to put a hole in their chest if they make me kill anything other than rotten nobles, criminals or bastards."

She grinned. "You know Kitty cat, you should count yourself lucky I'm chasing you. I don't take just any contracts." Her face dropped. "Your bounty is among one of the highest I got recently. And trust me those are rare. I don't know who want your head but they're more than willing to pay the price." She grew silent for a moment then sigh. "Ten years that I work in this business and you're the first target to not only live long enough to talk to me but to also cause problems...."

She shook her head in disbelief then turned to him.
"I will only ask you once before sending us both to the afterlife."
She narrowed her eyes, gaze cold.
"Did you do it ? Did you sell your family for money ? And run away when your conspirators were caught and betrayed you ?"

Last edited:
((Since it's been at least two week and a few days without response I have put the thread in hiatus @ me if you want to take it up again From Darkness From Darkness ))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back