Help with RP

VanellopeSchweetz

Hello :) I was wondering what would drive people away from trying an RP. Is it interest in the theme or something else? I recently started an RP and am new. I am curious what drives people away from trying an RP that may be new to them. Also What attracts you to an RP? Character? Plot? etc? I can't post the link to my RP as I believe thats against the rules in this section but feel free to give me some feedback on these questions. I'll put your feedback to good use :D

I'm not here to give advice, I just have the same question haha! I just joined last week and posted two threads and no one has even LOOKED at them as far as I know. I would love to be more active and rp more but interest seems so hard to come by...

I have the same questions as miss Schweetz here!

@VanellopeSchweetz Good luck in your endeavors!!

Well my friends there are a lot of reasons people might not be joining and they can of course vary from person to person.

Some good tips:

Give a good overview of what you looking for.

List any rules you might have.

And make an interest check if you haven't already.

Now some reasons people might not be interested

1. The idea might not just be popular

2. If there is a lot of typos that can effect people

3. If there isn't a clear plot.

@Grey has some nice tutorials as well for roleplaying in general.

Many, many things can drive a person away from an RP. If I had to summarize I´d say it can be summed up to availability, interest, matchmaking and investment.

Availability regards how you can fit their limits and their schedule and other needs, and how they can fit yours in turn. If one´s requirements are excessive, odds are a very restrict number of people will be able to roleplay with them in the first place. Expectations and needs can drive people away if they cannot be met, on whichever side.

Interest is simply one´s tastes. Everyone enjoys different things, in genres, fandoms, themes and everything else. This is obvious, but if someone doesn´t like a given genre, they not likely to apply to RP it. However, interest has other reaches beyond the RP itself. The presentation of the thread, for example, is a big factor for some people. Some prefer shinier threads, or longer yet very organized threads, as those appear to have more time invested onto them, as such, may be signs of a partner who will put such investment onto the RP. There are also opposite effects, though, such as when a person puts something controversial onto their interests, or anything that can make them seem like people who are likely to be bossy or get mad at you easily. Those scare people away.

Matchmaking is that pickier side of things. Is the pairing in the right terminology? Is this partner actually a female or does she just play a female? Does this person play on threads? Is he historically accurate? These and many other questions are usually very personal matters, more so than the others anyway, but they are surprisingly relevant to whether someone wants a roleplay or not, or if they stay. I´ve spent days planning an RP with someone that ended up breaking up over me not having kik, for example.

Finally, investment is the broader concept here, but one can see it as what kind of performance you show when communicating and actually RPing. The basic idea is that in each roleplay there is a risk, and that risk is of it turning out boring, and the profit is how exciting or fun or rewarding it will feel to continue and to see what comes next. How invested you are may be a HUGE deal in terms of how an RP turns out, and you can be sure your partners will notice. Nobody wants to waste their time, and so a partner that you don´t feel I both invested and rewarding your investment, both in RP and OOC chatting, will likely result in the end of the RP.

I would be more clear and specific, but really, I can´t. It´s too broad a subject, and the specific vary in each of the thousands of individual members of RPN and other RPing sites. Still I hope these tips were somewhat helpful, and good luck in your RPs!

Note: All of these terms are not official by any source. I just name things because I don´t have any words that can describe the concept as I envision it. Everyone is free to use these terms, of course, but don´t expect anyone to know them.

Idea said:
Many, many things can drive a person away from an RP. If I had to summarize I´d say it can be summed up to availability, interest, matchmaking and investment.
Availability regards how you can fit their limits and their schedule and other needs, and how they can fit yours in turn. If one´s requirements are excessive, odds are a very restrict number of people will be able to roleplay with them in the first place. Expectations and needs can drive people away if they cannot be met, on whichever side.

Interest is simply one´s tastes. Everyone enjoys different things, in genres, fandoms, themes and everything else. This is obvious, but if someone doesn´t like a given genre, they not likely to apply to RP it. However, interest has other reaches beyond the RP itself. The presentation of the thread, for example, is a big factor for some people. Some prefer shinier threads, or longer yet very organized threads, as those appear to have more time invested onto them, as such, may be signs of a partner who will put such investment onto the RP. There are also opposite effects, though, such as when a person puts something controversial onto their interests, or anything that can make them seem like people who are likely to be bossy or get mad at you easily. Those scare people away.

Matchmaking is that pickier side of things. Is the pairing in the right terminology? Is this partner actually a female or does she just play a female? Does this person play on threads? Is he historically accurate? These and many other questions are usually very personal matters, more so than the others anyway, but they are surprisingly relevant to whether someone wants a roleplay or not, or if they stay. I´ve spent days planning an RP with someone that ended up breaking up over me not having kik, for example.

Finally, investment is the broader concept here, but one can see it as what kind of performance you show when communicating and actually RPing. The basic idea is that in each roleplay there is a risk, and that risk is of it turning out boring, and the profit is how exciting or fun or rewarding it will feel to continue and to see what comes next. How invested you are may be a HUGE deal in terms of how an RP turns out, and you can be sure your partners will notice. Nobody wants to waste their time, and so a partner that you don´t feel I both invested and rewarding your investment, both in RP and OOC chatting, will likely result in the end of the RP.

I would be more clear and specific, but really, I can´t. It´s too broad a subject, and the specific vary in each of the thousands of individual members of RPN and other RPing sites. Still I hope these tips were somewhat helpful, and good luck in your RPs!

Note: All of these terms are not official by any source. I just name things because I don´t have any words that can describe the concept as I envision it. Everyone is free to use these terms, of course, but don´t expect anyone to know them.
:D Thats really helpful. I believe my presentation and dedication really showed on my RP thread but what i believed it to be was that no one wanted to give it a shot. My RP applies to literally every fandom you can think of but no one seems to be biting which is strange. The RP functions a little different, much like an interactive RPG, where I make scenes and pictures with peoples characters and we decide what happens next. Maybe someone will figure out how awesome it is :) Thanks for the info though.

VanellopeSchweetz said:
:D Thats really helpful. I believe my presentation and dedication really showed on my RP thread but what i believed it to be was that no one wanted to give it a shot. My RP applies to literally every fandom you can think of but no one seems to be biting which is strange. The RP functions a little different, much like an interactive RPG, where I make scenes and pictures with peoples characters and we decide what happens next. Maybe someone will figure out how awesome it is :) Thanks for the info though.
PM me the link, seems interesting...

Idea said:

Wow this was very well thought-out and insightful as well as helpful! Thank you so much, I'll take all advice into consideration. I hadn't really thought of setting up rules or formatting my threads in a more aesthetically appealing way but it makes sense that such things would be necessary! Thank you again!

nerdyfangirl said:
Well my friends there are a lot of reasons people might not be joining and they can of course vary from person to person.
Some good tips:

Give a good overview of what you looking for.

List any rules you might have.

And make an interest check if you haven't already.

Now some reasons people might not be interested

1. The idea might not just be popular

2. If there is a lot of typos that can effect people

3. If there isn't a clear plot.

@Grey has some nice tutorials as well for roleplaying in general.
I think this here would be useful.

Metropothalese said:
Wow this was very well thought-out and insightful as well as helpful! Thank you so much, I'll take all advice into consideration. I hadn't really thought of setting up rules or formatting my threads in a more aesthetically appealing way but it makes sense that such things would be necessary! Thank you again!
No problem at all! Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back