Viewpoint Have you ever heard of a reality tv rp?

ManicMuse

I ax-o-lotl questions.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Have you ever taken part in a reality TV show style game where characters get voted off? And/or would you find that interesting to try?

I tried it once with someone but they ghosted me in the planning stage so it didn't get off the ground lol
That's a shame. I was thinking about it last night. I was thinking of all the wild RPs you could do with that set up.

Survivor
Big Brother
The Circle
The Bachelor
The Bachelorette
Horror

I’ve heard of RPs with reality tv as a theme, but never of one where your character actually gets booted off of it. To me that would have the same essential issues as those RPs where “your character can be killed at any time” or RPs with character sheets selected rather than first come first serve, your whole hard work can be shoved into the trash bin in a snap. In the case of death and booted off it’s even more investment thrown to waste at a time when you might not have expected it no less.

It would also likely require a very large sim of players to be minimally sustainable, as otherwise you’ll keep hemorrhaging players and lose the ability to even have the vote.

Correct me if I’m wrong but my understanding is for a lot of these the “expelled” participants just go somewhere off camera while the season is being taped.

The example I am most familiar with is I believe big brother where they just go to some kind of house and the audience checks in with them occasionally.

Even if the actual show doesn’t have that premise it’s easy to build it into a roleplay. So in that case it’s less like “killing characters” and more like you just have two settings for the roleplay (or possibly two threads for Ic).

It would admittedly kinda suck for the first person to get kicked off cuz they would be by themselves but you can easily write around that by having two or so people eliminated at once.

I actually did a similar premise in a horror roleplay once where players were killed off. But the roleplay had an “afterlife” thread where folks hung out outside the main thread. There was a mystery element so that was kinda that threads overarching plot where the “main” thread was kinda a slasher “who survives to the end?”

It was actually super fun and I don’t remember anyone being super bummed about their characters “dying”. Since effectively it really was just getting kicked out of a competition and moving to a sub-plot.

So I actually think this can be done very well as long as you origanize it properly and explain how the rules of the in-universe game works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back